Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Major Minor posted:

Hey Jimmy, I read this thread everyday but never post because I知 retarded and not funny. I知 on the SNA side so I can稚 help you with much post-API but I have NFO buddies at every stage of training and in every community so feel free to give me a shout with whatever and if I can稚 help, I値l get you someone who knows better.

As Wingnut said, go ahead and check-in now and save your leave. After getting all your admin and medical done, you値l primarily be checking in every morning for 10 minutes with PT 2-3x a week and maybe a couple times you値l get hit with duty. You値l sit in A-Pool for a while but you値l get to IFS/API a lot sooner than the SNAs you check in with.

If you have any burning questions or need someone to show you around, shoot me a PM!

Thanks for the heads up and advice! I'll definitely drop a line if I have any questions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Major Minor posted:

Hey Jimmy, I read this thread everyday but never post because I知 retarded and not funny. I知 on the SNA side so I can稚 help you with much post-API but I have NFO buddies at every stage of training and in every community so feel free to give me a shout with whatever and if I can稚 help, I値l get you someone who knows better.

As Wingnut said, go ahead and check-in now and save your leave. After getting all your admin and medical done, you値l primarily be checking in every morning for 10 minutes with PT 2-3x a week and maybe a couple times you値l get hit with duty. You値l sit in A-Pool for a while but you値l get to IFS/API a lot sooner than the SNAs you check in with.

If you have any burning questions or need someone to show you around, shoot me a PM!

Most of the people who post in this thread are retarded and not funny.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

vulturesrow posted:

Most of the people who post in this thread are retarded and not funny.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803602&userid=180200

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I've never denied being in that group.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Really, you'd have been better off calling out this guy for being dumb and unfunny

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Good one.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Oh poo poo.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
Bad news, pretty sure P-3 radar gave me a brain tumor.
Good news, I managed to avoid navy butchers and have Mayo clinic surgeons pull that poo poo out. Plus I instantly went to 60-80% disability so that's good right... right? :suicide:

Anyone a flight surgeon? I know I'll probably need a mountain of paperwork to throw at NAMI to keep my aircrew and I want to get a head start while on conv leave.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LordNad posted:

Good news, I managed to avoid navy butchers and have Mayo clinic surgeons pull that poo poo out. Plus I instantly went to 60-80% disability so that's good right... right? :suicide:

Anyone a flight surgeon? I know I'll probably need a mountain of paperwork to throw at NAMI to keep my aircrew and I want to get a head start while on conv leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeOnLwi9CtQ

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Looks like a navy neurosurgeon training video.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LordNad posted:

Nice my sister works there. I'm sure you were a horrible patient, but still better than the majority of other patients.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ooh I may finally get to go underway! The cruiser may take some of scrub reservists who've never been underway on a ride back to San Diego.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Ooh I may finally get to go underway! The cruiser may take some of scrub reservists who've never been underway on a ride back to San Diego.

That's a good ride. You will get some fine nap time in there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SquirrelyPSU posted:

That's a good ride. You will get some fine nap time in there.

I loving love naps.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

LingcodKilla posted:

I loving love naps.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

LingcodKilla posted:

I loving love naps.

My current job gives us an hour for lunch which is stupid long so I grab a 30 minute cat nap every day :feelsgood:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can I get in the Navy if I have a DEP discharge from the Army from 2014 or will they laugh me out?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Can I get in the Navy if I have a DEP discharge from the Army from 2014 or will they laugh me out?

Depends on how they coded you. Only one way to find out.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Possibly. I got in the Navy with a DEP discharge from the Air Force and I only waited two months.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol: After tonight, yeah they'll probably take you if you roll into the office in a wheelchair.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
I'm so here right now. Lol if you don't equate ship duty to being on a middle tier cruise ship. The well paid guests will always win until port of call lol.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Some of reservists on AT getting a little nervous...

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey dude you wanted to get mobed now is your chance.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Hey dude you wanted to get mobed now is your chance.

It's funny because I got three job offers in the last 48 hours now.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Unrelated, I was asleep tonight wtf happened? Are we at war with Russia? hope so, I dated a ukrainian girl once and would like to hit that again.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Turn on a news channel and be bombarded by what happened. But the tl,dr is we put 50 tomahawks onto the airbase that launched the planes that dropped the chemical weapons. It's being reported that there were actual Russian military on that base for reasons. But I don't know if that's true. Strike went down when the base was mostly empty. Only 6 dead last I heard.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
Russians were apparently given advance warning before the poo poo went down. Don't know anything else since I have the day off. Work must be going nuts right now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Russia has also announced they're dropping the deconfliction line. Basically, their air defenses wouldn't engage anything that stayed on the other side of the line, like US aircraft. So that's a not-even-veiled threat and by far the most interesting development.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Take my lead and drop an IRR chit or just never show up for drill again lmao.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/850361648749662210

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

PneumonicBook posted:

Take my lead and drop an IRR chit or just never show up for drill again lmao.
Tell me more about this IRR chit. Just transfered from AD to selres to finish the last 3 of my 8 years. Basically only reason I'm drilling is to keep Tricare until finding a cool & good employer health plan, at which point I'd love to drop the Navy like a hot turd make my graceful exit.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Gray Matter posted:

Tell me more about this IRR chit. Just transfered from AD to selres to finish the last 3 of my 8 years. Basically only reason I'm drilling is to keep Tricare until finding a cool & good employer health plan, at which point I'd love to drop the Navy like a hot turd make my graceful exit.

[Special Request Chit]
"Respectfully request to transfer to IRR status"

Approved [X] [Signed] [Chief]
Approved [X] [Signed] [DivO]
Approved [X] [Signed] [CO]

hope this helps.

It was less trouble than asking for a day off on the ship.

I think I had to sign a paper from my NOSC that said I understood I was giving up TRICARE because they had a history of people not understanding that.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

And this can be done at any time during my selres obligation?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Gray Matter posted:

And this can be done at any time during my selres obligation?

I think you're good as long as you didn't take a bonus.

iverson
Apr 25, 2012
I've got a few questions on behalf of a friend who's still in. 8 years in, EAOS later this year, understands some kind of medical separation paperwork is under way for a service related disability. He tells me he's worried that he'll get his contract extended to allow for the completion of whatever goes into the medical separation process. Is that a thing? Is there any recourse? He's been planning hos career and is worried this will foul hos plans somewhat.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

KetTarma posted:

I think you're good as long as you didn't take a bonus.

Even if you took a bonus (like my stupid rear end) they just kindly would like it back at some point. Prorated, of course.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

Even if you took a bonus (like my stupid rear end) they just kindly would like it back at some point. Prorated, of course.
This sounds like some magical alternate reality version of the military where I can just peace out when it starts suckin too hard :stare:

Guess I'll find out how it is tomorrow at drill weekend #1

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gray Matter posted:

This sounds like some magical alternate reality version of the military where I can just peace out when it starts suckin too hard :stare:

Bring an extra battery for your phone.

Current status: On AT with my wife in Honolulu eating at the revolving restaurant. Back to work on Monday on some broke dick cruiser.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

iverson posted:

I've got a few questions on behalf of a friend who's still in. 8 years in, EAOS later this year, understands some kind of medical separation paperwork is under way for a service related disability. He tells me he's worried that he'll get his contract extended to allow for the completion of whatever goes into the medical separation process. Is that a thing? Is there any recourse? He's been planning hos career and is worried this will foul hos plans somewhat.

If the paperwork he's referring to is the one that is actually for his separation, he might just separate before his EAOS. There's a lot of steps to medical separation paperwork, and it being underway could be anything from the PEBLO having just received a recommendation from his medical provider to refer him to the medical board or even the end zone of the medical board making a determination on disability rating and beginning the process of separating him from the military. Depending on where he's at, he falls under different aspects of instruction and what I'm about to outline is the process in general, although his PEBLO would/should be able to explain in a bit more detail since they'd know exactly where in the process he stands. There's also a few different instructions and processes depending on what he falls under, and the best people to look that up would be his physician or the PEBLO.

Extension is a thing where his command can extend him a month at a time after EAOS until the medical separation date comes in, and the main recourse is to notify the PEBLO that he intends to separate at EAOS. The PEBLO could look into the possibility of seeing where the medical board stands on it, or if he can even cancel it at this point. Usually once it's at board then it's just a matter of awaiting a determination, which could be him getting placed on the Temporary Disability Rating List (TDRL), the Permanent Disability Rating List (PDRL), or neither if the board finds that his condition doesn't fall under medical separation. After that they'll notify him how much he qualifies for percentage-wise through the military as well as VA. There's a few instructions out there that cover the time spans and specifics such as for the extensions. From experience, I've usually seen commands extend the contract a month at a time until the med board comes back or however many months the ordering physician recommends until medical treatment for the disability is completed (like in cases of addiction and some hospitalization) depending on what is going on and his individual case. Depending on what he's being boarded for, they could also shorten the extension and push his paperwork through for a separation before his EAOS or even keep his EAOS if medically prescribed (such as in the completion of prescribed treatment for surgical or even addiction rehabilitation with a few instructions covering this). It just depends on where he's at in the process and what he's getting put up for. If I were him, I'd speak with the employer and explain the situation and see how it would affect his career with the work outside of the military once he separates. He could also speak with his CO to see if there's any way that they could let him work (some commands like medical ones have instructions to cover employment outside of the military) and depending on what was medically recommended for him he might also have some limitations placed on what he can and cannot do at work, which may lighten his workload and free up some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Gray Matter posted:

It's not that it's difficult, it's not. To me it's a lovely reminder of lovely navy bullshit (and there is a ton of navy bs in the reserves, maybe more due to what needs to happen ever drill) and the position I'm in where I'm frequently working on a poo poo ton of reserve stuff for free two weeks out from drill just to make sure it gets done.

Edit: KetTarma how long did it take for your chit to go up, come back, and you never dealing with the reserves again?