Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

:same: I had SMW, LttP and Chrono Trigger, most everything else was rented.

SMW, Yoshi's Island, LttP, Super Metroid, and SMRPG.

My parents didn't let me have a lot of games but at least I had good taste. Their money was not wasted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

univbee posted:

SF2: The World Warrior's sales on SNES were absolutely ridiculous, everyone got that game for their SNES. If you owned an SNES and 3 games there was like a 98% chance they were Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, and Street Fighter II.

I never owned SF2 or Mario Kart myself, but had friends who owned them so no biggie at all.

I got the most playtime from Mega Man X and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV, cartridges I have to this day. I had Super Mario World and played a ton of it, but I dunno, I guess it was one of my first SNES games so over time I stopped playing it. Every few years though I'd boot that one up and play right through the whole game.

I had a super scope and super scope 6 as well, but after that only a couple other cartridges... one was Mario RPG. I rented a lot. (because poo poo was expensive, like we just said)

I never owned FF3 or Chrono Trigger even though both were favorites of mine even during the SNES era. My friends owned them and I just played them at their house, all the time. I later got them on the PS1 re-release.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Oh, get Ys 3 anyway and just listen to the sound test. :v: Also Ys 3 isn't a truly bad game so much as it is a really shallow one. It's not compelling, but it isn't at all painful to play.

I played through Beyond Oasis for the first time a couple years ago and had a blast, so I'd say that's a good sign it's aged well. It's not too long, and has a surprising amount of obscure hidden stuff.

Also on the action RPG front, I would recommend Light Crusader. It's too short and has always existed in Landstalker's shadow, but it's fun and still inexpensive to acquire.

Mak0rz posted:

SMW, Yoshi's Island, LttP, Super Metroid, and SMRPG.

My parents didn't let me have a lot of games but at least I had good taste. Their money was not wasted!

I still kinda feel bad about my parents buying me ACME Animation Factory at full price. :doh:

Also I've never owned SF2: The World Warrior, but that's just because Turbo was already out when I got into Street Fighter. Super SF2 was the first video game I bought on launch day.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 7, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I have really clear memories of the launch of the first SF2 game on SNES, I didn't get it on launch but my cousin did and he brought it over and we must have spent like two days straight absolutely mesmerized by it. Like it's weird to think about now but two player vs. fighting at home!!! was kind of amazing back then, and it wasn't any fighting game but like, the king of fighting games (edit: that kof reference was totally unintentional lol)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I was still pretty young and didn't know about Street Fighter 2 until it came out on SNES. A few friends and I went to the local video game rental store and they had it set up to play. We must have spent two hours fighting each other, then some dude asked if he could play and HE STARTS THROWING FIREBALLS HOLY poo poo. We were having fun just punching and kicking each other, had no idea there were secret codes to do secret moves.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Solaris Japan doesn't mess around. It's coming today. :stare:

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Medullah posted:

I was still pretty young and didn't know about Street Fighter 2 until it came out on SNES. A few friends and I went to the local video game rental store and they had it set up to play. We must have spent two hours fighting each other, then some dude asked if he could play and HE STARTS THROWING FIREBALLS HOLY poo poo. We were having fun just punching and kicking each other, had no idea there were secret codes to do secret moves.

Haha yeah my younger brother used to flip out if I used "secret moves" when fighting him and wouldn't play with me if I was going to keep "cheating".

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
I didn't play Street Fighter II until the summer of 1992. My cousins were really into it, so they showed me the game at a mall arcade. Then we walked down to Babbage's and saw it for the Super NES. I'd only played the game for about an hour, but I knew I wanted it. Even if it was seventy bucks and I didn't get another Super NES game until Christmas.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Really more than anything I'm impressed by how close to perfect and balanced Street Fighter II was after the trash fire that was Street Fighter 1.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I owned SF2 and when SF2 Turbo came out my mom took me to the video store to rent it, and we got towed out of the lot so the total cost of renting it was about what it would have been had we just bought it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Wasn't there a semi-recent development where Thawk is super powerful and good?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

guys did we ever figure out what's a dhalsim

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 7, 2017

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

rdbbb posted:

blanka has bonked anyone who found out thus it remains a mystery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxLKw9Q8ZKs&t=60s

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

rdbbb posted:

Fun fact: I used to misread this as "Dhalism" for the longest time.

Dhalism is obviously the best -ism, beating out A/Z-ism, X-ism and V-ism handily

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Everyone laughed at the kid who pronounced Ryu's name ROO and Guile's name GOOLEY when they were clearly supposed to be REEYOO and GWILLY.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Really more than anything I'm impressed by how close to perfect and balanced Street Fighter II was after the trash fire that was Street Fighter 1.

I'm genuinely impressed at how good the SNES port was. There's plenty of compromises, sure, but it's amazing how effectively they got everything into the game.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I vaguely recall that it was indeed $75 at release, but I don't think that hurt production numbers or sales since it was Street Fighter II, indeed the BIGGEST FIGHTING GAME EVER at that point in time.

It was *the* arcade game across the world in all regions. It was so huge that it and the fighting games to follow essentially killed off several other genres. Toaplan, Konami, Taito, and other devs have stated in after-the-fact interviews that it was really difficult to make any money from shmups after SF2.

univbee posted:

For sure. AC fighting games in general were poo poo before then, except maybe Yie Ar Kung Fu?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

For sure. AC fighting games in general were poo poo before then, except maybe Yie Ar Kung Fu?

I'd include Karate Champ in that. Yie Ar Kung Fu I feel is an overlooked gem entirely due to Konami having too many good games to bring to the US and so they let some great ones slip through the cracks. I think if it got a US home release it would be remembered as one of the greats.

It's actually hard for me to think of pre-SF2 fighters. I know they exist, I even played some of them at the time, but they were generally so forgettable.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys know of a good guide to replacing the Xbox hard drive?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Kid Fenris posted:

Everyone laughed at the kid who pronounced Ryu's name ROO and Guile's name GOOLEY when they were clearly supposed to be REEYOO and GWILLY.
Suddenly reminded of people pronouncing psychic "physic" during the pokemon red/blue days

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Empress Brosephine posted:

You guys know of a good guide to replacing the Xbox hard drive?

This is a good one: http://www.instructables.com/id/Original-XBOX-Hard-Drive-Upgrade/

Again, make sure the hard drive you pick shows up as "lockable" on the compatibility list.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

HAT FETISH posted:

Suddenly reminded of people pronouncing psychic "physic" during the pokemon red/blue days

Tye-fa and Yuff-ee

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mak0rz posted:

Tye-fa and Yuff-ee

Tie-dus or Tee-dus but more importantly

Sha-dow or Sha-doh?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fishmech posted:

This is a good one: http://www.instructables.com/id/Original-XBOX-Hard-Drive-Upgrade/

Again, make sure the hard drive you pick shows up as "lockable" on the compatibility list.

I go the same one you got, it was on sale on Amazon for $25!!!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

I'd include Karate Champ in that. Yie Ar Kung Fu I feel is an overlooked gem entirely due to Konami having too many good games to bring to the US and so they let some great ones slip through the cracks. I think if it got a US home release it would be remembered as one of the greats.

It's actually hard for me to think of pre-SF2 fighters. I know they exist, I even played some of them at the time, but they were generally so forgettable.

Did Yie Ar Kung Fu ever have a versus mode before the GBA port?

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

I stand by this one.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Wamdoodle posted:

Tie-dus or Tee-dus but more importantly

Sha-dow or Sha-doh?
My name is clearly pronounced ʃʌdaʊ hoʊg

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Here's a large list of them: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/fighters/fighters.htm there's a lot of bad games for sure but since the idea of fighting games barely existed there's a lot of weird experimentations to get 1 on 1 competitive games to make sense. It's a neat read!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Good news: I'm 3 games away from having all 14 NA Virtual Boy Games :unsmith:

Bad news: I need Panic Bomber, Water World, and Jack Bros :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames: :smith: :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

My name is clearly pronounced ʃʌdaʊ hoʊg

Ah, "shay-dough haw-gh" Got it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Anyone going to Midwest Gaming Classic in MKE this weekend? I skipped last year but going again this year. They had some awesome stuff then, a room full of old computers to play with, sharp x68000, some hotel room full with turbo grafx stuff to just play, etc.

This dudes youtube video that fortunately doesnt have a lot of talking over gives a good idea of whats happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BncmZbDPmAM

Also in Madison tonight/tomorrow there's the Tecmo Bowl championships, which seems to be getting realbig.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

HAT FETISH posted:

Thank you for reminding me it wasn't until the first pokemon movie happened that my cousin stopped calling Mewtwo "Meow-toe"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Wamdoodle posted:

Ah, "shay-dough haw-gh" Got it.

The Shagohod?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dr. Dos posted:

Thank you for reminding me it wasn't until the first pokemon movie happened that my cousin stopped calling Mewtwo "Meow-toe"

I know a guy who called him "mew-twoh" (Like "throw" as if pronounced by a three year old).

He was 20 or so before realizing he got it wrong.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

The Shagohod?

Metal Gear!? :eyepop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

falz posted:

Anyone going to Midwest Gaming Classic in MKE this weekend? I skipped last year but going again this year. They had some awesome stuff then, a room full of old computers to play with, sharp x68000, some hotel room full with turbo grafx stuff to just play, etc.

This dudes youtube video that fortunately doesnt have a lot of talking over gives a good idea of whats happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BncmZbDPmAM

Also in Madison tonight/tomorrow there's the Tecmo Bowl championships, which seems to be getting realbig.

I will be there Saturday AM and Sunday AM

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 7, 2017

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

DoctorWhat posted:

The Shagohod?

Fhwqwgads.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Quiet Feet posted:

Fhwqwgads.

Everybody to the limit.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Another unreleased NES port of one of the Dizzy games has been unearthed, finished and released online. Which is, you know, nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Dizzy games are "meh" but I love the art design in them so much.

• Locked thread