Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

RedMagus posted:

Also they make a cute couple :3:

The scene with Battler catching her and the roses fluttering around could have been a still from a shoujo anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

Skylight posted:

As well you SHOULD. :colbert:

I understand my mistake now that Battler has jumped out of a third story window in one of the most amazing ways possible thanks to Dlanor setting up the room. And having an adorable moment between Battler and Beato right after that jump helps too.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Bernkastel enjoys adding gasoline to Erika's burn a little too much. Anyone want to explain how Battler got out of that unharmed? I've never jumped out of a 3 story window before, but I know it's more than high enough to make me not want to.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Fabulousvillain posted:

Bernkastel enjoys adding gasoline to Erika's burn a little too much. Anyone want to explain how Battler got out of that unharmed? I've never jumped out of a 3 story window before, but I know it's more than high enough to make me not want to.

Had the detective observed Battler's body yet? Potentially, Battler decided that a pair of broken legs were worth it just to get Erika to shut up.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Skylight posted:

I really wouldn't put anything past Kinzo. At all. Ever.

Nothing at all.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
... OK, the one we've been following since the beginning, the guy who fought a witch by saying that magic isn't real, just fought another "magic spirit" in the rain in defense of the same witch he declared war on... A magic spirit summoned by another detective, against the witch... and all to... disprove magic? :pwn:

Oh, you know what? gently caress it. Fantasy, mystery, anti-fantasy and anti-mystery: they can all go gently caress themselves. This story is so beyond the pale of either genre, and keeps messing around with the rules of both on the fly, that to look at this story in the strict terms of either is just a crazy-making effort in futility. First the goal was presented as disproving magic, and this is the main aim of both of these detectives, but then the goal became to supersede the genre of fantasy with the genre of mystery, and I can't help but think that everyone's lost the thread here, which is the truth. Which is figuring out what happened on this crazy shithole island, what was done, and why they did it.* So what is the truth here?

Truth one: Battler's scenario, while far fetched, is still really flimsy (and pretty much hinges on not only where the bathroom is in relationship to the bed, but the supposition that a person like Natsuhi, described as very thorough and a confirmed worrywart, wouldn't at least throw a glance at the bed as she was leaving the room, which is dodgy), but I guess it could fall within a framework. And I suppose it's a testament to how horrible Erika has been that literally everyone takes the opportunity to dunk on her despite this theory's shoddiness (Eva, I would imagine, is meticulous enough that she would normally be on that theory like white on rice)

Truth two:

OK, I do have to admit that this is kinda adorable. (Even if my feelings regarding BeatoXBato are decidedly complicated, given Beoto's actions up to this point and the implications of what she wanted out of this game in the first place...)

Third truth:

The blue wedge flashed through the courtyard along with a blue bolt of lightning, and roared down towards Dlanor's forehead as she stared up at the sky.

"...ah."
"...Beato's game isn't easy. It's even doubtful whether the fallbacks of the mystery genre even work here. Your swordsmanship isn't bad, but you should be a bit more flexible in your thinking."

...A massive blue wedge which looked like a pillar... was above Dlanor's forehead... and had stopped with its tip just slightly touching her. It didn't run her through. It made no mark larger than being poked with a pencil. When Battler snapped his fingers, the blue wedge shattered and became a shower of translucent gems, no, drops of rain that poured down over the courtyard.

Battler, watch out: you play around too much, just like Beatrice did before you. It leaves an opening that is very easy to strike, especially to such a bloody-minded soul like Erika.

*Which, I can't help but note, is a question that Erika has skipped so far in her reasoning: she's often bang on concerning details and creating scenarios, but doesn't seem interested in reconciling them with the greater picture.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

resurgam40 posted:

Truth one: Battler's scenario, while far fetched, is still really flimsy (and pretty much hinges on not only where the bathroom is in relationship to the bed, but the supposition that a person like Natsuhi, described as very thorough and a confirmed worrywart, wouldn't at least throw a glance at the bed as she was leaving the room, which is dodgy)

Oh, this is a red I can give you no worries: Natsuhi definitely did not glance at the bed to check if Kinzo was sleeping :^)

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I'm sure she didn't... because she (along with the audience) knows that Kinzo is dead as disco. I'm trying to frame it as the view from the parlor room to play along.

(shame about that, as Dead Kinzo in ... Natsuhi's mind, I guess? Seems a lot more personable and likeable than Kinzo was presented as is some other scenes the first game. Without the overtones of abuse, Kinzo is just a crazy person who swoops around and laughs about desire and things to do on "mad nights." I can get behind that. :3: )

vvv But what is a witch, and how does one "kill" it? That's the question that becomes more and more knotty as this game goes on...

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 7, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What? No. Why are you all like this?

DEATH TO BEATRICE. DEATH TO WITCHES.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
OK, that was pretty great, but my favorite part is how when Erika says "but that's crazy", the response is "Well, yeah, but... you know, Kinzo." It's like they're all re-enacting every conversation we've had about him in this thread. Sure, if it's Kinzo, he would probably jump out a third-story window into a storm for absolutely no goddamned reason. That's just how he is. No witches required, just a really crazy dude.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

resurgam40 posted:

I'm trying to frame it as the view from the parlor room to play along.

Well yeah, all you need is Natsuhi's testimony and it's effectively elevated to red truth for the purpose of this closed room, like with what happened with her claiming to have talked with Kinzo himself in the study. If she says she didn't check, there's nothing Erika can say about it. "It probably wouldn't be like her" isn't an effective argument.

Artificer posted:

Geez, did a witch kill your family or what

tiistai fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 7, 2017

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
A nice show. After all, I'm just here to watch as things fall out. Now that it appears the riddle is solved, all the mysteries are known to me and I can just enjoy the fireworks.
Also, please don't give me that person as an avatar later. I know it would fit, but I like my current avatar.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Fabulousvillain posted:

It's possible, it depends on how he lands (ideally on his feet with bent knees and falling to his side while bracing his head) and where he lands - shubbery will help break that fall, it'll hurt like hell regardless, but it is theoretically possible.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

resurgam40 posted:

OK, I do have to admit that this is kinda adorable. (Even if my feelings regarding BeatoXBato are decidedly complicated, given Beoto's actions up to this point and the implications of what she wanted out of this game in the first place...)

Yeah. This can't last. At some point presumably the game has to remember that Beato's very probably a member of Battler's family, and at the very least has performed/orchestrated the deaths of his relatives multiple times. They can't North Wind and the Sun us twice.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
What a loveless bunch!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. This can't last. At some point presumably the game has to remember that Beato's very probably a member of Battler's family, and at the very least has performed/orchestrated the deaths of his relatives multiple times. They can't North Wind and the Sun us twice.

Death to witches!!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Artificer posted:

Death to witches!!

Hey now, let's not say anything we can't take back. MARIA's alright, and ANGE didn't do anything too egregious. It's just Bern, Lambda and Beatrice who are monsters.

E: Maybe monster's a bit strong. But at the very least, highly dickish.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 7, 2017

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

CottonWolf posted:

Won't there be egg on your face when it turns out that Beatrice was actually Ootsuki all along.

Artificer posted:

As a witch I am offended

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CottonWolf posted:

Battler sure wishes Beato was pulling a trick. :smith:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

tiistai posted:

Geez, did a witch kill your family or what

Of course not, witches aren't real. However, as a counterfactual, if witches were real then they would be mass murderers. In conclusion, witches suck.

CottonWolf posted:

Clearly they can North Wind and Sun us twice.

Oh, and Battler doesn't mind if she's a member of his family. He's into that sort of thing, apparently.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
I'm just going to ignore the witch hunters' awful awful outfits for the rest of the game because jfc. Crotch frills? Really? Is this like... a commentary on something or... ughhh. Anyway-

:kimchi:

-The narrative mentions that Battler landed in the courtyard, which IIRC is enclosed on all four sides by the mansion. That, coupled with the fact of the typhoon, could mean that the area can become super gusty as the airflow backs up and could thus break a fall somewhat. I can't find a good explanation for this on the web; it's just conjecture based on what I've observed in similar spaces. (I'm looking at one right now, in fact, and it's quite windy in there.)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Yeah, there's no need to get het up about non-existent witches. That scene is a perfect example of the metaphorical way they're used in the narrative; it's not that Battler literally jumped out a window and had Beatrice jump down to him, it's that by demonstrating that Kinzo's status is unknown, he preserved the possibility of Beatrice. (I mean, he may have literally jumped out a window to do that, but I'm not sure.) Her entrapment in that room was by mystery logic made manifest as lightsabers, not by any real means. If it were proven that Kinzo was dead: to begin with, all possibility of him engaging in magical tomfoolery is eliminated, which in turn weakens the position of magic on the island, represented by Beatrice. Of course, the other thing this does is allow him to preserve the idea that Natsuhi isn't trying to fool anybody; remember that Battler cares about his family, to the point where he went an entire two episodes trying to imagine that none of them had committed murders that one of them must logically have committed.

We, as the audience, know that Kinzo is dead and witches aren't real, but Erika is so annoying that we're okay with Battler putting one over on her this time.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Heh the Ushiromiya family at "yeah this sick 80 year old guy can jump out 3rd story windows, happens all the time". But yeah, if the door was blocked, then jumping out the window like a madman certainly works.

But something interesting I noticed - this "red truth barrier" that's been going up looks identical to Shannon's, and I'm not sure it's a coincidence.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I think this whole thing was meant to be a metaphor about how you shouldn't stop thinking, even after you come across what is most likely the correct answer. Part of the truth is finding all scenarios and using clues to piece together what actually happened. Just because we know Erika is right doesn't mean that they must stop at that conclusion. Also, dunking on assholes is great.

Re: death to witches talk - have we acknowledged that Beato has died once before? If so, then every person in the story who has declared themselves witches (sans shortcackle and Bern, so far) has died already.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Tender Child Loins posted:

I'm just going to ignore the witch hunters' awful awful outfits for the rest of the game because jfc. Crotch frills? Really? Is this like... a commentary on something or... ughhh. Anyway-

Let's be honest, at this point it has become clear that the author of this tale has a thigh fetish.

oath2order fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 7, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

idonotlikepeas posted:

We, as the audience, know that Kinzo is dead and witches aren't real, but Erika is so annoying that we're okay with Battler putting one over on her this time.

Plus, this is honestly just Bern and Lambda writing collab fanfic that Meta Battler's being forced to reread through to catch up. Lambda's just simultaneously pushing a ship while dunking on Erika.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

bman in 2288 posted:

I think this whole thing was meant to be a metaphor about how you shouldn't stop thinking, even after you come across what is most likely the correct answer. Part of the truth is finding all scenarios and using clues to piece together what actually happened. Just because we know Erika is right doesn't mean that they must stop at that conclusion. Also, dunking on assholes is great.

Pretty much I think this is the intent, Eirika blew a loving gasket when presented with a counter, no matter how flimsy it was - instead of either amending her hypothesis or refute it with logic, she throws a tantrum about her detective's authority being disrespected, while Dlanor being the personification of Knox's Decalogue calmly accepts it as it didn't violate the tenets.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
You've linked the wrong version of Dread of the Grave Prof, I'm pretty sure the one playing in this update is the (remake) version.

Also, dang, Endless nine is such a good song. We've heard it before but it complemented this scene absolutely perfectly.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 7, 2017

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

BTW If you don't watch the video I'm not sure that screenshots do justice to one of my favorite moments in the whole series:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I once read that Ryushiki designed the female characters this way because one of his female friends said she'd cosplay the characters in this VN.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

KataraniSword posted:

Plus, this is honestly just Bern and Lambda writing collab fanfic that Meta Battler's being forced to reread through to catch up. Lambda's just simultaneously pushing a ship while dunking on Erika.

This honestly explains a lot, like the depths of Bern being obknoxious.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Aumanor posted:

Holy poo poo, those are some outfits. Did pants kill R07's parents or something?

Please don't forget this post, it's perfect.

quote:

...Battler caught her with both arms as though catching an angel's wings. It was like a knight catching a princess who had been locked up in a tower, like a beautiful picture of a scene in some fairy tale...

: "...Crap, I think I'm in love. . . ."

A scene written so romantically that not even demons can resist.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Quick Scheduling Announcement: There will be a :siren:BONUS UPDATE:siren: tomorrow.

Tanabata may be celebrated in the summer, but White Day isn't the only holiday Witches celebrate. Please look forward to it.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

bman in 2288 posted:

Re: death to witches talk - have we acknowledged that Beato has died once before? If so, then every person in the story who has declared themselves witches (sans shortcackle and Bern, so far) has died already.

It may not be easy to remember with piece-Beato running around like normal, but meta-Battler has already killed his waifu. She's being forcefully kept around but for all intents and purposes she's clearly as dead as a doornail.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Update will go out when we get to the next page.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
How close are we to catching up to the state of the game board that was shown at the beginning of this episode?

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

savixeon posted:

How close are we to catching up to the state of the game board that was shown at the beginning of this episode?

At the very least, we have one more death before we get there.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

We've got at least one more murder to go - Hideyoshi has to get found with a stake in his back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

That oughta do it.

• Locked thread