Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Raluek posted:

if you have to synch it yourself, what makes 1pass any more convenient than keep rear end? better mobile support?

You can just save your keep rear end to google drive or dropbox folder and open it directly with https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=keepass2android.keepass2android which opens from google drive or dropbox keeping all in sync, I am not sure what there would be like that for IOS though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

icloud keychain :)?

i'm pretty disappointed that windows doesn't have this, especially since there's a way to log in with the same credential on any win10 box

but if they did have it, my confidence that they'd hosed it up somehow would keep me from using it anyway so meh

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows has a credential store that's used by edge and IE that syncs across your devices. it uses the windows crypto store or w/e so the encryption is per windows account. so if ur logged in anything can read the creds in the store, afaik

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
can any win32 read the entire contents of that credential store like all other parts of the system because if so it doesn't sound very safe.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes, but only when logged in. it would mean failfox or chome could reuse stored creds from edge/ie, but it would also mean notavirus.ru.exe could steal all ur creds.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shaggar posted:

yes, but only when logged in

and since win10 strongly recommends users to log in with that credential

quote:

my confidence that they'd hosed it up somehow would keep me from using it anyway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you wouldn't be able to get the credential to unlock the store without already knowing the credential.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

wait i'm confused about what we're logged in to

i wake up my win10 machine and type my microsoft hotmail for windows password, now i'm logged in to a session that knows i'm me, that's the login i'm talking about (and maybe celexi too?). can anything running under that session get at my whole windows password store?

or is there some second step, like if i open edge and log in to SA by typing my username and password, then a broken firefox plugin would be able to send my SA credentials to a shitposting botnet but my twitter password is still "safe"?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there is a protected store associated with your account that is effectively unlocked whenever you login to windows. Lots of stuff gets stored there including your web credentials from IE, edge, and chome (if using the chome built in store).

The account type (local vs Microsoft) doesn't matter and it works the same in both cases.

Once logged in any application can pull stuff from the protected store. You can store things with an additional encryption key, but in the case of IE and Edge credentials I dont think it does this.

When it comes to login time, if you're using Edge or IE it works the same as any other form entry thing where it understands the login form and populates it w/ data from your store. This is done as a native component of both browsers, Edge extensions do not have access to the store so they cant just get access just by being installed.

With IE its a little different cause IE extensions are activex. I would guess activex plugins would have access to your protected store so if you installed one it might get your creds. Likewise a failfox plugin that uses a native api would have access to the protected store, but if its a newer web extensions or w/e its the same as edge where its just html/js/css running inside the browser.

tl;dr: any win32 executable (including browser extensions that run as external processes) can probably get to your store if you run it but then again it could also log your keystrokes to steal creds from any other system.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the protected store (DPAPI) already has support for a second factor to decrypt the store so they could theoretically add something like that so when any application tries to access the store you get a popup to approve access and provide the second factor. My guess is they haven't done this cause people would forget the second factor and lose their passwords but it would be a cool feature for people who want it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
2 factor windows sign in is coming soon so maybe they could add that to DPAPI so you get a push notification on your phone when something wants to pull something out of DPAPI like a web credential.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

lmao

https://twitter.com/MarkKriegsman/status/850315971625668608

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

my favourite part of that paper was the "maybe it'll be detected by network-based detection before it hits the user's mailbox?? dunno never actually tried it but here's our analysis of what could happen!"

there's also a xen writeup on project zero's blog: https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/pandavirtualization-exploiting-xen.html

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

lomarf

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shaggar posted:

:eng101:

tl;dr: any win32 executable (including browser extensions that run as external processes) can probably get to your store if you run it but then again it could also log your keystrokes to steal creds from any other system.

that is interesting and now i want to learn more about how it works, but not enough to actually do it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

that is interesting and now i want to learn more about how it works, but not enough to actually do it

theres not a lot to it from an api sense. Its designed to make it easy for developers to store and sync stuff securely rather than having them roll their own.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

https://twitter.com/alfiedotwtf/status/850333129902444544

burning swine
May 26, 2004

why have i never thought of this

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i'm guessing it'd be infeasible to do this to a file containing hashed passwords

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mods namechange to X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H* pls

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lol I was going to suggest putting it in the thread title but I didn't want to post the actual string lest radium's vengeful spirit come to harvest our souls

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

i'm guessing it'd be infeasible to do this to a file containing hashed passwords

That's why you put it in the username

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

suspected breach of gamestop.com september 2016 to february 2017, including credit card details: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/04/gamestop-com-investigating-possible-breach/

quote:

“GameStop recently received notification from a third party that it believed payment card data from cards used on the GameStop.com website was being offered for sale on a website,” a company spokesman wrote in response to questions from this author.

“That day a leading security firm was engaged to investigate these claims. Gamestop has and will continue to work non-stop to address this report and take appropriate measures to eradicate any issue that may be identified,” the company’s statement continued.

Two sources in the financial industry told KrebsOnSecurity that they have received alerts from a credit card processor stating that Gamestop.com was likely compromised by intruders between mid-September 2016 and the first week of February 2017.

Those same sources said the compromised data is thought to include customer card number, expiration date, name, address and card verification value (CVV2), usually a 3-digit security code printed on the backs of credit cards.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

quote:

Those same sources said the compromised data is thought to include customer ... card verification value (CVV2)
why the hell were they storing that

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Bonfire Lit posted:

why the hell were they storing that
well literally the next line:

quote:

Online merchants are not supposed to store CVV2 codes, but hackers can steal the codes by placing malicious software on a company’s e-commerce site, so that the data is copied and recorded by the intruders before the data is encrypted and transmitted to be processed.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

hey, a novel way of finding out if services hash their passwords

bonus points if it end up on Virustotal

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
big DPAPI

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

how long owuld brute-forcing md5 until it came up with something that would flag? might be a good way of zapping anyone still using unsalted md5...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Mods namechange to X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H* pls

Just wait and see this crash these forums when something gets archived or something.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol dont call on the wrath of zdr

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Carbon dioxide posted:

Just wait and see this crash these forums when something gets archived or something.

i was going to suggest setting a bunch of custom titles to EICAR but being that the forums enforce https i doubt it would create as much hilarity

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Powaqoatse posted:

lol dont call on the wrath of zdr

Yeah as if they're running AV on SA's servers.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
joke's on you it wouldn't work because not even antivirus wants to read my posts

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

joke's on you it wouldn't work because not even antivirus wants to read my posts

most users just quarantine them anyway so it's not like the AV is doing anything extra here

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Volmarias posted:

most users just quarantine them anyway so it's not like the AV is doing anything extra here

:thurman:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Volmarias posted:

:xd:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Not sure if I missed this in thread, found it amusing as hell:

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/04/rash-of-in-the-wild-attacks-permanently-destroys-poorly-secured-iot-devices/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

Once the bots find a vulnerable target, they run a series of highly debilitating commands that wipe all the files stored on the device, corrupt the device's storage, and sever its Internet connection. Given the cost and time required to repair the damage, the device is effectively destroyed, or bricked, from the perspective of the typical consumer.

obviously the solution is for all iot devices to come with instructions for getting into uboot

• Locked thread