Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think the debate over whether Trump did a bad or a good kind of misses the whole point: Trump himself is bad and not at all equipped to handle this sort of thing. No matter how he ended up in the job he's clearly fuuuuuucking terrible at basic things like strategy, planning ahead, having a coherent worldview that isn't infected by Fox and Friends, etc etc

He loving got bored and went to go play Big Rig Butters while his healthcare bill went up in flames, didn't do his homework, didn't do the legwork needed for it, didn't understand any of the politics of it, wanted to force a vote on it anyway just to put together an enemies list, on and one and on....and we're giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's doing his due diligence on an even more complex and serious life/death/war issue?

gently caress that.

I feel like I'm watching people argue over whether the vanilla or chocolate ice cream is better when they know there's rat poison in both of them.
It's like debating the morality of abortion when the doctor is Edward Scissorhands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
https://twitter.com/IraqiSecurity/status/850385429144711173

Khym
Jun 11, 2002
I wonder how many people have cured their alcoholism just by looking at Steve Bannon

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Inadequate Areolas posted:

my name is trey and I have something to say

he looks like the recipient of a botched face transplant

Ha, he really is the dog that caught the parked car

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol trump bombed some grass

missionaccomplished.jpg

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Inadequate Areolas posted:

my name is trey and I have something to say

he looks like the recipient of a botched face transplant

How the gently caress is this even possible, he looks like a head from Goldeneye came to life

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

McConnell sure has a low standard when he talks about precision.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Hypha posted:

Sometimes the family dog just pisses on the carpet

Repeatedly

Except dogs can actually feel emotions like shame and such

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

lol trump bombed some grass

missionaccomplished.jpg

69 missiles

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Good soup! posted:

How the gently caress is this even possible, he looks like a head from Goldeneye came to life

it's shopped

the actual photo is less flattering

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Can I still mutter under my breath, "watch trump start a loving war"?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiOJ07nyfM4

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Fallen Hamprince posted:

doesn't the war powers act give the president like 90 days without congressional authorization?

not really???? (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/50/chapter-33)

the most pertinent part is subsection 1541 which states

quote:

The constitutional powers of the President as Commander-in-Chief to introduce United States Armed Forces into hostilities, or into situations where imminent involvement in hostilities is clearly indicated by the circumstances, are exercised only pursuant to (1) a declaration of war, (2) specific statutory authorization, or (3) a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces.
so the defined limits of the presidental power to introduce forces denies the capacity to introduce forces at will. the sixty days thing comes later - if forces are introduced, the president must report within 48 hours and then periodically report no less than every 6 months. then this take effect:

quote:

Within sixty calendar days after a report is submitted or is required to be submitted pursuant to section 1543(a)(1) of this title, whichever is earlier, the President shall terminate any use of United States Armed Forces with respect to which such report was submitted (or required to be submitted), unless the Congress (1) has declared war or has enacted a specific authorization for such use of United States Armed Forces, (2) has extended by law such sixty-day period, or (3) is physically unable to meet as a result of an armed attack upon the United States.
but something important to keep in mind in all this is that there has been no white house yet that has fully accepted the war powers resolution as constitutional (and i'm inclined to agree) so what has actually occurred over the years has been kind of bending to the ideas of the WPR but not following it like it's binding. and scotus won't rule on it because there is no real guidance as to where the boundaries are between congress and the president re: war powers

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Citizen Tayne posted:

all talk of the radical poo poo he wanted during his campaign is gone,

he was pretty careful to almost never mention specifics, it's a great way to make people set their own expectations. That way they hype themselves up but can't really blame him when he fails to deliver. Sorry you're so easily suckered.

quote:

mcconnell is getting his way,

not really

quote:

gorsuch is on the bench,

that was always going to happen, he was up-front about letting heritage pick his SC justices as early as, what, feb 2016?

quote:

EPA rules are being repealed, and a hundred other things

he was always going to do this, you were just allowing yourself to be ignorant of it to rationalize voting for him :ssh:

quote:

that's literally all he is, a bone stock republican party-line president. talk is cheap.

:jerkbag: tell yourself you didn't get exactly what you voted for all you want, lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

d&d is stupid as rocks.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

trumps bin laden moment

except for bin laden he killed some planes and concrete

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i hope i'm placed in the shitposting brigades when the draft kicks in

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lmao

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Rushi posted:

oh wow 6 people killed and u all get distracted from uncovering the piss gleaming truth

I predicted exactly this. The Russian stuff is going to be dropped from public consciousness now. Pretty dumb.

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

Sir Tonk posted:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/850387892144918530

check out these scared babies and their new rules

my congressman is doing a "town hall phone conference". I wrote to him asking why he will not do one in which he actually has to face his constituents. I didn't even get a "gently caress you" template letter.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

i really hope they set up a briefing room for spicey at mar-a-lago

hopefully one as wonderful as that hastily assembled pipe-and-drape backdrop and semi-functional microphone they had for trump's little televised statement last night

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

BeOSPOS posted:

Can I still mutter under my breath, "watch trump start a loving war"?

Who says we stopping at just one

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

hahahaaha loving trump cant even tomahwak missile competently

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
69 missiles and all he got was a little hole and some burnt hangers and a whole lotta bombed out sand

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

donald trump is kingdom hearts.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Good soup! posted:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Weeping Wound posted:

they actually have branding and commercials for weapons like these and they are pretty hosed up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Facg5eKBos

also D.C. metro ads near the pentagon

though there's a long history of this kind of thing. hollywood producers joining the war effort in WWII was why U.S. propaganda then was so good

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

I did a thing posted:

my congressman is doing a "town hall phone conference". I wrote to him asking why he will not do one in which he actually has to face his constituents. I didn't even get a "gently caress you" template letter.

you should tell him you are terribly sorry about the disfiguring accident that makes him ashamed to meet people face to face but that you will support him through his difficult healing process. some day we'll find out who destroyed his face in a trumpian fit of rage.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Office Pig posted:

it's shopped

the actual photo is less flattering

:negative: my brain must be broken at this point

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
putin negotiates a peace deal as we learn trump is a stooge, once everything is agreed upon, doesn't matter because otherwise we're back into the cold war. russia gets a port somewhere or some sort of agreement that keeps them relevant in energy deals going forward.

then the piss tape happens anyway.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nonsense posted:

d&d is stupid as rocks.

why please tell me i want to laugh at them

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Russians- Sure. Hit Assad. we need new intel as to what your Tomahawks can do...
Russians, next day - Hahahaha. Thanks Trump.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol trump added some potholes to a syrian airbase and bombed some sandy beaches otherwise

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Nichael posted:

but you see, donald is different because virgins with cartoon frog icons told me so

Those virgins hate him now.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

eonwe posted:

lol trump added some potholes to a syrian airbase and bombed some sandy beaches otherwise

bold leadership praised around the world

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Nonsense posted:

d&d is stupid as rocks.

Undeniable, but what did they do this time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

William Bear posted:

Bill Mitchell has a point about the death of the Russia investigation, though he, of course, exaggerates.

It's certainly hard to reconcile the apparent deep and longstanding relationships between Trump and Russia with military action against a Russian ally that has already resulted in breaks in US-Russia relations (ending of air deconfliction line).

If the piss tape exists and Trump is an active, knowing puppet of the Russian government, the only explanation for the strikes would be as a token measure to throw people off the trail, and the tension as mere theater. We'll need to wait and see what the longer term consequences are of yesterday. Key things to watch for any change are UN votes on Syria and US sanctions of Russia and Syria.

Edit: another explanation would be Trump being an uncontrollable moron who believes the last thing he was told, actually.

Maybe. I think it's more Russia helped as last gamble to get rid of the sanctions and trump has enough debt and greed to go along with it. But trump isn't some loyal lapdog. He has no loyalty or impulses control. My honest guess is he was legit upset at Assad and instead of thinking it through, he acted. He has no idea what he is gonna do next.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Weeping Wound posted:

they actually have branding and commercials for weapons like these and they are pretty hosed up

have you ever watched a sunday morning show? every ad is for a defense contractor or a megabank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mirthless posted:

he was pretty careful to almost never mention specifics, it's a great way to make people set their own expectations. That way they hype themselves up but can't really blame him when he fails to deliver. Sorry you're so easily suckered.

not really

that was always going to happen, he was up-front about letting heritage pick his SC justices as early as, what, feb 2016?

he was always going to do this, you were just allowing yourself to be ignorant of it to rationalize voting for him :ssh:

:jerkbag: tell yourself you didn't get exactly what you voted for all you want, lol

lol I don't vote for him, don't imply I did. He's just a bone stock republican president and people who voted for him because they thought they were getting an "outsider" are morons.

• Locked thread