Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

well why not posted:

We're fully fluent in English, we all grew up imitating your ridiculous yankee accents and are all very handsome.

See also: Canadians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phylodox posted:

Other than a few words, we pretty much share the same accent anyway.

And then there's Ryan Gosling, who deliberately trained himself to talk like a quasi-New Yawkah all the time.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lobok posted:

Other than a few words, we pretty much share the same accent anyway.

Tell that to the Maritimes.

Or the Prairies.

Or Quebec.

I mean, just aboat anywhere but BC, really.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Phylodox posted:

That's the thing, though.

We always did Canadians and even helped turn Vancouver into a big filming spot. Then we had our House M.D. phase where British people were playing Americans.

Why the switch to the Aussie's in the last 5 years or so?

Did the poor Canadians snub Hollywood somehow?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phylodox posted:

Tell that to the Maritimes.

Or the Prairies.

Or Quebec.

I mean, just aboat anywhere but BC, really.

The actors we've usually been sending down south, I mean. The Christopher Plummers and Jim Carreys and Pamela Andersons haven't had to suppress thick hoser or Newfoundland accents.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Hearing people pronounce pasta and taco with the same vowel sounds as past and tack is nearly insufferable. I'm glad that isn't in my media.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Hearing people pronounce pasta and taco with the same vowel sounds as past and tack is nearly insufferable. I'm glad that isn't in my media.

I think I usually say "pahsta" but I always say "tawco".

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Only watches subbed anime

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

Only watches subbed anime

Only subbed anime and dubbed kaiju movies. I am a man of culture after all.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

well why not posted:

Goddamn people are forigving of the MCU. Every week someone finds a new way to be overly generous with praise towards these downright stupid, ugly warmongering films.

It's a 'focused character' piece, the same way Winter Soldier is a 'political thriller' and Taco Bell is Mexican food. It has a few of the trappings but is such a clear imitation.

Most 'focused character piece' movies don't include Paul Rudd growing eightfold in size and throwing a truck. It's an action movie with a few moments of (badly handled) character work.

Yeah they're all action movie blockbusters. I think the problem people have with them is that they're expecting too much from comic book children's fantasy explosion-a-thons. It's just sad that DC movies as a whole can't even rise to that yet.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
How so? They're also blockbusters, but with better direction and scripts, at least with Snyder's movies.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BUt they're bad poop!!!!!!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

BUt they're bad poop!!!!!!

Man of Steel was pretty good poop.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

But yeah I love the irony of "They're just action blockbusters and people are overthinking them if they expect them to be more than that. Oh but the DC movies are bad" lol

I like the DC movies precisely because the action and spectacle has been mostly better (IMO) up until like Dr. Strange and some scenes of Ant-Man and Civil War. Nothing in the Marvel films has reached the level of the Zod fight or Batman in the warehouse yet. But you get the usual "oh but the plots are bad and things don't make sense" arguments from people who want you to "turn off your brains" for the MCU :jerkbag:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How so? They're also blockbusters, but with better direction and scripts, at least with Snyder's movies.

You say that, but most people don't.

edit: to elaborate more, they don't even rise to the level of entertaining, other than parts of MoS.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I like anime the best.

Generally, the movies with the most Goku are the best ones.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy A. Person posted:

But yeah I love the irony of "They're just action blockbusters and people are overthinking them if they expect them to be more than that. Oh but the DC movies are bad" lol

I like the DC movies precisely because the action and spectacle has been mostly better (IMO) up until like Dr. Strange and some scenes of Ant-Man and Civil War. Nothing in the Marvel films has reached the level of the Zod fight or Batman in the warehouse yet. But you get the usual "oh but the plots are bad and things don't make sense" arguments from people who want you to "turn off your brains" for the MCU :jerkbag:

Sorry people like different things then you.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also cause that last post was snarky, I want to add this: I think sometimes we need to step back and realize we're arguing in a microcosm. Like there's nothing truly garbage about most of the super hero movies we talk about - they're given big budgets and have competent actors and directors for the most part. There's nothing that reaches the lows of The Room obviously. And conversely we probably won't get a lot of Oscar winners either. It's like we're looking through a microscope arguing about how far apart some cells are, meanwhile we're looking at the tip of our finger and there's still the entire hand to consider.

CelticPredator posted:

Sorry people like different things then you.

Sorry MoS and BvS upset your tummy and made you cry that time

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dang you're bitter!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Shageletic posted:

You say that, but most people don't.

edit: to elaborate more, they don't even rise to the level of entertaining, other than parts of MoS.

They are very entertaining, they just don't support the paternalist fantasy people tend to look for in superhero movies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ehhh

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Dang you're bitter!

lol sure CP, keep on doing what you're doing

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What am I doing. I am merely a person on an Internet forum designed to speak from my heart.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's just an expression, like keep on trucking, you do you, follow your heart, etc.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I like anime the best.

Generally, the movies with the most Goku are the best ones.

same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoDFdl8eu4U

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Also cause that last post was snarky, I want to add this: I think sometimes we need to step back and realize we're arguing in a microcosm. Like there's nothing truly garbage about most of the super hero movies we talk about - they're given big budgets and have competent actors and directors for the most part. There's nothing that reaches the lows of The Room obviously. And conversely we probably won't get a lot of Oscar winners either. It's like we're looking through a microscope arguing about how far apart some cells are, meanwhile we're looking at the tip of our finger and there's still the entire hand to consider.

Whole heartedly agree.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Besides Age of Ultron, which is a genuinely terrible movie, and Captain America 1, which is excellent, the MCU films are just mildly subpar blockbusters. Like Captain America 2 the Winter Soldier is a less-good version of Salt or The Bourne Legacy. They're "ok". But:

The few interesting parts of the MCU are the oddities, the incomplete thoughts, and the weird implications that are ignored - like how the villains of Iron Man 3 are disabled people, including war veterans injured in the line of duty. They are depicted as evil and inhuman. That Homecoming will apparently feature working-class people whose livelihoods are threatened as despicable villains really pales in comparison to that.

You can add how Tony Stark murders his butler sidekick offscreen and it's never commented upon. Like if Batman attached a bomb to Alfred and we don't even see an explosion; he's just never seen again. Nobody cares.

All Suicide Squad did was take a standard MCU narrative and highlight these 'oddities, incomplete thoughts, and weird implications' - reveling in them, pushing them to a logical extreme. Of course Squad was then criticized for copying the MCU and also being bewildering.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 7, 2017

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Personally, I feel like the majority of regulars here just like shooting the poo poo about these movies without getting too invested, and most of the strawmen about DC grimdark and MCU stupid come from like ~3 posters on each "side" who stan hard for/against the two companies like sports teams and provide good quote fodder for holding up as What's Wrong With This Fanbase. I assume most everyone else just likes a bit of light argument and seeing some fun interpretations of different stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You can add how Tony Stark murders his butler sidekick offscreen and it's never commented upon.

That one's a real mystery.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't remember that. The arm robot?
Jarvis?

We witness Jarvis "death" scene at the hand of Ultron, then find out it escaped and had been fighting Ultron from the internet, then it merges with an infinity stone to become the Vision.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

parallelodad posted:

We witness Jarvis "death" scene at the hand of Ultron, then find out it escaped and had been fighting Ultron from the internet, then it merges with an infinity stone to become the Vision.

Vision specifically states that he's not Jarvis. Tony takes Jarvis, who, even brutalized by a vicious assault, still did more to hold off Ultron than anyone else, and strips him for parts to build Vision.

The defense of this in the movie, briefly mentioned, is not that Jarvis is still alive in Vision but that Jarvis was never alive, was not actually intelligent. Which doesn't fit well with Jarvis's extreme capability, independence, creativity, fluency with language, etc.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sir Kodiak posted:

Vision specifically states that he's not Jarvis. Tony takes Jarvis, who, even brutalized by a vicious assault, still did more to hold off Ultron than anyone else, and strips him for parts to build Vision.

The defense of this in the movie, briefly mentioned, is not that Jarvis is still alive in Vision but that Jarvis was never alive, was not actually intelligent. Which doesn't fit well with Jarvis's extreme capability, independence, creativity, fluency with language, etc.

I took it that Vision is not Jarvis the same way Tuvix isn't Tuvok or Neelix.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

parallelodad posted:

NERD

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Let me put it in words you will understand. The same way the Gogeta is neither Goku or Vegeta.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sidenote: If they ever make a Turok movie, they better make the Cerebral Bore the main weapon in the film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I haven't thought about Tuvok in like 20 years. Good lord.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

After going through some poo poo, people say they aren't the same person anymore. That elderly warlock from the Lord of the Rings or whatever, he dies and comes back all, "New beard who dis?" even. Vision is Jarvis with some scars and a hot take.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The one big oddity in the MCU that sticks out to me is the character arc of Peter Quill, Star-Lord. He starts out as a self-centred manchild living out the fantasy of being a space adventurer, gets mocked for his pretensions... and the universe arranges it so that he gets to be a real space hero without any change or real sacrifice on his part. It's framed as a vindication of his fantasy, and that he goes around with his childhood nickname as his superhero identity presented as a heart-warming development. It's really bizarre development, and it makes the generally adequate GotG interesting, if not in a good way.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

parallelodad posted:

Let me put it in words you will understand. The same way the Gogeta is neither Goku or Vegeta.

Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

parallelodad posted:

I get that, but imagine that episode of Voyager had started with a couple people discussing how Neelix isn't actually sentient, that the merging wasn't an accident, and that the episode didn't devote half its running time to discussing the ethics of there no longer being a Neelix but instead breezed right past it and now there was just this new character going forward.

• Locked thread