Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

GioSPL posted:

Wow.. for once Butts was on the right track! You lazy has-beens have totally neglected the academy and i hear from people that want to join it about 3 times a day.

So Don't invite me to dental.. make me leader of the academy.

I think you're probably going to need to at least post a proper intro thread for them to consider that dude. It only takes 30 seconds and it's done, but it shows you're a team player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nita
Apr 27, 2008

GioSPL posted:

Wow.. for once Butts was on the right track! You lazy has-beens have totally neglected the academy and i hear from people that want to join it about 3 times a day.

So Don't invite me to dental.. make me leader of the academy.

You got gumption, kid. Invite sent. Once you're in, let me know and I'll promote you to 3rd in command. We need go getters!

Rahhmi
Aug 18, 2015

GO WEEDJI!

[05/28/2016 12:40:42 AM] Pulse: don't stir up my
personal drama, please

GioSPL posted:

Butts was on the right track!

...in here all of 30 seconds and he knows exactly who to mock..?? ALERT OPSEC! HE'S SEEN THE BIG BOARD!!!

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Player Potential System

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10434053-the-player-potential-system

GioSPL
Apr 5, 2017

Ask me about spending 10BUX to play with GOONS on a dead game!

It's interesting. I'm looking forward to this and new pvp changes, even though they're three/four years late. Too bad we won't actually know what rank/rating we are at.... i mean every game with a decent ranking system has that. However it's also pretty stupid trying to balance PvP engagements now that there's around 10-15 people max in the queues and most fly in a 5 man team anyways.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I'm positive this won't be gamed by queuing using entirely white grade mk II gear then swapping loadouts to your mk XIV gold gear immediately once it pops.

Quite positive.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I bet they don't let you change gear in a queue.

I also bet they didn't think to disallow changing ships though

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

GioSPL posted:

totally neglected the academy and i hear from people that want to join it about 3 times a day.
This is exactly why the academy exists. So we don't have to hear from people trying to join Dental multiple times a day.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
NoP's better, anyway.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
More Buffs/Nerfs/Reverts

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1230207/tribble-maintenance-and-release-notes-april-6-2017

GioSPL
Apr 5, 2017

For once i agree with Cryptic. glad they gave SNBs back to Science only, giving it as a boff ability ruined class balance. and rock and roll fix is welcome.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Weird, they reverted the GDF changes. Also:

Cryptic posted:

Delta Patrols are no longer required for mission progression but do remain in game.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNTS

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pity. With SNB being a boff ability I was hoping the same would happen for Attack Pattern Alpha.

GioSPL
Apr 5, 2017

DancingShade posted:

Pity. With SNB being a boff ability I was hoping the same would happen for Attack Pattern Alpha.

That would destroy class balance. Even though STO without classes would be interesting, i don't see the devs ever going for such a drastic change after 7 years of class-based gameplay.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They should just get rid of classes altogether, have an NPC that can train the other two classes for a large amount of dil.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GioSPL posted:

That would destroy class balance. Even though STO without classes would be interesting, i don't see the devs ever going for such a drastic change after 7 years of class-based gameplay.

Look at little ol' you. Thinking classes are balanced.

GioSPL
Apr 5, 2017

DancingShade posted:

Look at little ol' you. Thinking classes are balanced.

They're not. but it would destroy class balance even more than how it is already

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
They put the 'competitive pve queue' on tribble and apparently all 5 people need to cooperate together to open space doors or something like that.

If even one person resists and refuses to do it, it becomes impossible.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hakimashou posted:

They put the 'competitive pve queue' on tribble and apparently all 5 people need to cooperate together to open space doors or something like that.

amazing

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

quote:

So, only fully done one so far, but this map has a few issues right now.

First and foremost, allowing only one member of a team to interact with the objective at a time in many of these portions opens up the map to massive trolling potential. One person on a team can completely block your team from going anywhere. I think having the door to the next area automatically open say, 30-60s after the enemy team has opened theirs, or automatically after 5 minutes, would help there.

Second, teams can queue for this. If you want these matches to be "balanced" for the matchmaking system, then need to have it work like the solo-duo PvP queue. Otherwise, full pre-mades are going to go in, wreck people hard, and people will never queue for this again.

Third, the rewards are pretty bad for the duration. 480 Dil for what is taking 15-20 minutes aint good. Marks aren't the best either.

Fourth, will need more testing, but some of the areas feel a bit long. On the initial play-through they started to feel a bit repetitive to me, but I'll largely blame the first point for that. But letting multiple people interact with the objectives would be very good so that we don't get trolled or get locked in because someone doesn't know they interacted with the stuff.

quote:

I fear this queue will be dead on arrival. As has been mentioned, this map offers a huge trolling potential. If 4 players are working together and one does not, you're screwed. Doing it in PUGs will be nearly impossible as well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hakimashou posted:

:discourse:

I hope they don't change a thing.

GioSPL
Apr 5, 2017

hakimashou posted:

But do you get to shoot at the other team at the final room, or is it just who completes the run in less time?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's pvp once you get to the final part. However, in practice, as soon as one team pulls ahead of the other and gets to the end first, it's over. Everything I've heard from talking to people who are testing it is that it isn't any fun at all in its present form.

And that's besides the obvious griefing potential that I see you've noticed.

GioSPL
Apr 5, 2017

Oh well. at least it's more PvP. I'll need to bring my old fleet premade back, i have a feeling this will be fun

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

GioSPL posted:

Oh well. at least it's more PvP. I'll need to bring my old fleet premade back, i have a feeling this will be fun

:frogout:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

GioSPL posted:

When people told you to post more, they meant places besides this thread. Go somewhere else.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

GioSPL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYt-5JvNmDg

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Huh. Might have to fire up the old trivia engine. Best of all, it sounds like you don't need to even be first into the room.

E: A J4G for a game literally no-one plays any more? Zelda, is that you?

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 8, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

IPCRESS posted:

Huh. Might have to fire up the old trivia engine. Best of all, it sounds like you don't need to even be first into the room.

E: A J4G for a game literally no-one plays any more? Zelda, is that you?

My (no actual money) bet is that it's not Zelda. Partially because of the insane levels of hate but also because he went to second life for all the unrestricted ERPing last I heard.

It's probably just some random person.

Spoilers random person All our written secrets are out of date and nobody can be arsed updating anything because :effort: so LowTax thanks you for your :10bux:

Try becoming a productive forum member outside of this thread, or games in general and see how you go. That's the best advice I have for you.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

GioSPL posted:

make me leader of the academy.

Eat poo poo. Good luck!

BombermanX fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 8, 2017

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Did the PS4 version of this turn out to be worth playing?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Did the PS4 version of this turn out to be worth playing?

You can't play with goons, you can't troll pubbies and you can't play all of the content.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, it's STO but on a controller and a few content patches behind. If you've never played the game before then it's... alright? But if you have, nothing from the PC version carries over and you have to buy all those boats again and why even bother. :effort:

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
I decided to try this again after being away since around late 2013. My old main character is a level 50 engineer with a t5(I think) fleet advanced heavy cruiser refit. I've heard engineers are not that good anymore but is that still the case? Should I switch to a tac captain? Also I stopped by Risa and was horrified to find the subspace party nullifier. What other vital griefing roleplaying tools have they nerfed?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'd like to lie and say otherwise but yeah even with the upcoming power and space revamp, tacs are still going to be on the top of the heap by far. Really, if it's been that long you should probably just roll a new character and see the new tutorial and revamped missions and all that anyway. It's not like your old character is going anywhere if you decide to swap back later.

And while the party nullifier is a black stain on Cryptic's records, there's all sorts of other toys now too, even if you just missed an annoying toy rocket.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
In that case I'll keep going on the tac that I made to try out the TOS missions. Thankfully they haven't touched the festive party popper, so at least I have that.

GioSPL
Apr 5, 2017

MeatloafCat posted:

In that case I'll keep going on the tac that I made to try out the TOS missions. Thankfully they haven't touched the festive party popper, so at least I have that.

there's also other poppers you should check out, the festive party horn is pretty spammy and the 7th anniversary party horn shoots red fish.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

GioSPL posted:

there's also other poppers you should check out, the festive party horn is pretty spammy and the 7th anniversary party horn shoots red fish.

gently caress offfffffffff

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
There isn't some path to joining that doesnt involve submitting an application in FYAD dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Coq au Nandos posted:

gently caress offfffffffff
Evidently his plan is to just keep posting until we all forget that he's a j4g and someone lets him into TNG. I'm just trying to figure out what he thinks he'll get out of this. Access to our fleet bank full of several year old vendor trash? Fleet holding invites which are given for free in the NoP service channel? Access to our chat channel which no one uses because most of us only log on to cycle contra/admiralty alts?

• Locked thread