Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Pyroclastic posted:

Space Police 3, from just a few years ago. Every cop was a human (or a robot, since they at least had that robodog), every criminal was an alien. Cool-looking aliens, but it was still incredibly speciest in a universe that clearly had a dozen or so intelligent species inhabiting it.

If it's not white yellow, it's probably a criminal.

Seriously, I would pay so much moneys for Blacktron 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know why they don't bother to resurrect classic themes. Seems like it would have just as much appeal to kids as the current ones and olds would go nuts for it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

veni veni veni posted:

I don't know why they don't bother to resurrect classic themes. Seems like it would have just as much appeal to kids as the current ones and olds would go nuts for it.

I would love to see more TRANSPARENT NEON ORANGE CHAINSAWS

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They should do a classic space theme that encompasses all of the previous ones. Just label it "space" and do a few 80's Space, M-tron,Blacktron,Ice planet etc sets within the same theme, except done with the more modern style of building. It would be amazing. I bet it would sell insanely well.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
There's still that rumour about the clause in the star wars license forbidding any other fictional spacecraft. Seems like that may be true.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hopper posted:

There's still that rumour about the clause in the star wars license forbidding any other fictional spacecraft. Seems like that may be true.

Space Police III ran concurrently with Star Wars and it had plenty of spaceships.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Need space monorail reboot soooooo bad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Benny's spaceship

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

They should do a classic space theme that encompasses all of the previous ones. Just label it "space" and do a few 80's Space, M-tron,Blacktron,Ice planet etc sets within the same theme, except done with the more modern style of building. It would be amazing. I bet it would sell insanely well.

I wonder how well it would do. Insanely well among adults, sure, but how would it stack up among kids? Or parents?

I legitimately don't know. Some of my favourite lines as a kid were Rock Raiders and Life On Mars, both space themes with nothing more hostile than native wildlife. Putting conflict in all the sets seems to have done Lego well but would it actually outshine lines without?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I wonder how well it would do. Insanely well among adults, sure, but how would it stack up among kids? Or parents?

I legitimately don't know. Some of my favourite lines as a kid were Rock Raiders and Life On Mars, both space themes with nothing more hostile than native wildlife. Putting conflict in all the sets seems to have done Lego well but would it actually outshine lines without?

The Rock Raiders were an amazing theme, iirc it was one of the first forays into making "characters" and not just generic dudes in the sets. It also had an amazing set which basically gave you all the figures and their rad new hats and tools. Can you imagine Lego doing that today? They have got much more savvy and drip feed you characters with the best ones in the most expensive sets. A good business choice for sure, but annoying. I think I had 2x of these, probably as birthday presents and I loved all these guys, especially sassy orange dude with his googles.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rock raiders was a loving travesty what are you on

Rock raiders and insectoids were the height of awful bullshit that nearly led to the death of the company as a whole. Gigantic, awkward parts that made doing custom stuff yourself basically worthless were everywhere. The chrone drill bits were neat but that was it.

Seriously that was the era of giant awful parts that had next to no use outside of the actual set.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Rock raiders was a loving travesty what are you on

Rock raiders and insectoids were the height of awful bullshit that nearly led to the death of the company as a whole. Gigantic, awkward parts that made doing custom stuff yourself basically worthless were everywhere. The chrone drill bits were neat but that was it.

Seriously that was the era of giant awful parts that had next to no use outside of the actual set.

Pretty much all of the bits in that picture there I loved as a child and I made loads of "tanks" using that vehicle base. I also really like the Insectoids too! It also isn't like Lego still aren't making a bunch of stupidly niche molded parts that have almost no use out of that one set. I bet you can find loads of examples of MOCs that use the parts you pictured above. They might have been a lovely business decision to make so many molds, but that doesn't matter to a 10 year old...

The sets that I thought were really really poo poo were the "Kingdoms" Castle line with the purple helmet knights and also the "Jack Stone" line of sets. They were totally garbage.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm not saying they're not useful, but when your set is comprised of 50% of those sorts of pieces, it makes making anything with them really terrible(this was a large contributing factor to the downfall of lego in the 90s, especially city stuff). I remember getting some medium sized insectoids sets because I like bugs and only had those for a few weeks on a trip, and making anything using them was terrible. Sure the parts CAN be used, but stuff like the big bug wings and legs or the excavator buckets from rock raiders, the cockpit, etc are so gigantic and niche that making anything with them was difficult at best, and they stuck out like a sore thumb because they're gigantic single pieces rather than made up of smaller parts.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

It is a lot different now, I was remaking some of my old sets recently as my parents bought it all down for me when we moved house. Something like the Ice Sat V or Allied Avenger today would have so many more tiny pieces.

IceSatV has 135 pieces and takes about 10 mins to put together. Apparently it was $15, or $23 adjusted for inflation. People would balk at that today for sure. Similar with the Allied Avenger which is 100 pieces for $20 (todays money).

Something I have never seen analysed, though I am sure it has, is the actual amount of plastic per $. Has that been constant? It seems to me that todays sets have this 10p per part price point (more or less), but many of these parts are tiny cheese slopes or such like. Even though your chrome crusher had a dock off canopy and vehicle base, it still looks as substantial as something at a similar price point today.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

The Rock Raiders were an amazing theme, iirc it was one of the first forays into making "characters" and not just generic dudes in the sets. It also had an amazing set which basically gave you all the figures and their rad new hats and tools. Can you imagine Lego doing that today? They have got much more savvy and drip feed you characters with the best ones in the most expensive sets. A good business choice for sure, but annoying. I think I had 2x of these, probably as birthday presents and I loved all these guys, especially sassy orange dude with his googles.

I never had any of the sets but I did play the Rock Raiders game for PC when I was a kid and I remember it being frustratingly difficult. The only thing remotely notable about it was that the CD jewel case had studs on the spine which was kind of cool (Shown here on a copy of LEGO LOCO which was a way better and more enjoyable game despite being a direction-less sandbox)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Space police yellows vs aliens wasn't the first time Lego did something very creepy. The Mars sets also had a 'Lets abduct the Martian natives and perform brutal experiments on them' vibe to it.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
Another teaser image from the Saturn V set:

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/850335821328777216

Release date has been confirmed as June 1st.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That seems to imply a lander

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
All this space talk made me buy a few Galaxy Squad sets. That and Monster Fighters Hunters are my favorite recent original themes.

Cloks fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 7, 2017

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Cloks posted:

All this space talk made me buy a few Galaxy Squad sets. That and Monster Fighters are my favorite recent original themes.

Alien Conquest was pretty rad imo. Really neat combination of Classic Space and newer molds/techniques. Hell, the Alien Tripod was the thing that brought me out of my Dark Age.

edit: Also yes Galaxy Squad and Monster Hunters both rule. Whoever was in charge of those should have gotten a raise.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

mitochondritom posted:

It is a lot different now, I was remaking some of my old sets recently as my parents bought it all down for me when we moved house. Something like the Ice Sat V or Allied Avenger today would have so many more tiny pieces.

IceSatV has 135 pieces and takes about 10 mins to put together. Apparently it was $15, or $23 adjusted for inflation. People would balk at that today for sure. Similar with the Allied Avenger which is 100 pieces for $20 (todays money).

Something I have never seen analysed, though I am sure it has, is the actual amount of plastic per $. Has that been constant? It seems to me that todays sets have this 10p per part price point (more or less), but many of these parts are tiny cheese slopes or such like. Even though your chrome crusher had a dock off canopy and vehicle base, it still looks as substantial as something at a similar price point today.

I had this rocket truck and the main base. The Ice Planet stuff was so bad rear end. I'd collect the whole set should they redo it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

Galaxy Squad had an emphasis on terrestrial vehicles but some of them looked awfully spaceship-like. And not all of the classic space themes had a big emphasis on spaceships to begin with (looking at you, Ice Planet.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Straight White Shark posted:

Galaxy Squad had an emphasis on terrestrial vehicles but some of them looked awfully spaceship-like. And not all of the classic space themes had a big emphasis on spaceships to begin with (looking at you, Ice Planet.)

Spyrius had a pretty cool robot/mech subtheme and I'd love to see their current crop of mech designers do something with it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't really like the conflict elements much, and my kinds don't seem super interested in them either. They would much rather build things or set up narratives around the lego creations having their own building/tasks to do than about fighting/killing/busting stuff up. Fortunately even if its present in the kits it's simple to ignore, at least for now. Maybe it will get harder as they get older and consume more media that may who now it is 'supposed' to be used.

When I was a kid I had a moonbase set that included two cratered base plates, and you built a little base that had a room with tinted windows, a launch pad for a little flying rover thing, and a rail that a rocket slide out on to launch. It was amazing to me, not least because the smooth planks that made up the rocket rail were basically the only flat-topped lego bits we had ever had/seen. I am sure my son would love that thing if we could get it today.

It was apparently Set 6971, Intergalactic Command Base

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yes to more big space bases.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about the big blue classic space robot base thing.

Horrible build, designer must have been baked out of their mind. Engines for feet? Canopy ears? Pure insanity, yet somehow it was laser focused on the heart of every kid and it was THE set to get.

A robot you can put your dudes inside? loving awesome!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Holy crap all those minfigures, wonder what kind of offers this guy is going to get.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/tag/6066871201.html

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

mitochondritom posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the cost per part was essentially flat. Plastic is cheap.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

tomapot posted:

Holy crap all those minfigures, wonder what kind of offers this guy is going to get.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/tag/6066871201.html

Honestly, probably not as much as you'd think. This was obviously a pile of figs from a guy who was trying to make a killing on BL/CL/Kijiji and didn't, and now he's trying to dump them all on someone else who thinks they can pull off a profit. For example, who's going to want that many EP1-3 figs? Aside from the battle droids that entire line may as well go straight into the bulk bin.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Wax Dynasty posted:

yesssssss

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

Honestly, probably not as much as you'd think. This was obviously a pile of figs from a guy who was trying to make a killing on BL/CL/Kijiji and didn't, and now he's trying to dump them all on someone else who thinks they can pull off a profit. For example, who's going to want that many EP1-3 figs? Aside from the battle droids that entire line may as well go straight into the bulk bin.

There are 3 boxes of CMFs, that's probably 80-90% of the value of the whole lot right there.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Wax Dynasty posted:

I'm not going to buy the whole set, but I'll Bricklink the parts for the LEM for sure.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They made a few NASA sets way back in 2003 including one with a micro lunar lander, and a minifig scale lunar lander.

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?v=2&pg=1&catString=482&catType=S

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Wax Dynasty posted:

Wonderful. This goes to the top of my birthday list.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

I don't see why kids wouldn't like it. Just modernize the themes and they are inherently cool as anything they are doing now. My feelings are that it would have plenty of kid appeal and adults would be all over it.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
I thought I read the pirate and castle remakes did poorly. I just started back, so I missed my nostalgia chance. Honestly, the later sets like ice patrol that I didn't grow up with hold no appeal. It may be harder to get enough adult interest from their own old properties

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TacoNight posted:

Honestly, the later sets like ice patrol that I didn't grow up with hold no appeal.

If you're tired of transparent orange chainsaws, you're tired of life :colbert:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

TacoNight posted:

Honestly, the later sets like ice patrol that I didn't grow up with hold no appeal.

Yeah I think people here grossly overestimate the universal appeal of the poo poo from their childhoods. Aside from the monorails I never really saw the appeal in classic space, and I expect kids today would feel the same about stuff like Orient Expedition and Exo-Force that I grew up with. It's all just nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

smackfu posted:

They made a few NASA sets way back in 2003 including one with a micro lunar lander, and a minifig scale lunar lander.

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?v=2&pg=1&catString=482&catType=S

That big shuttle was fantastic. I had that thing on display until the stickers fell off. Always wanted the LEM.