Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I'd like to read this, and anything else on the subject that isn't from an official organ of WotC.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Same here, listening to stories of WotC's organizational incompetence is always a good time

I can't remember if it was on a podcast or an old Twitch stream. But yeah I think we're really starved for any perspective on what Magic R&D is like from someone who isn't presently trying to sell us Magic cards. Imagine getting Randy Buehler drunk and listening to him complain about Rosewater forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

their decision to turn magic into a superhero team comic immediately after several well-done blocks of their own brand of storytelling is still inexplicable to me, and the decisions that have followed from that are putting the game in a hole that didn't need to be there

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

their decision to turn magic into a superhero team comic immediately after several well-done blocks of their own brand of storytelling is still inexplicable to me, and the decisions that have followed from that are putting the game in a hole that didn't need to be there

Didn't that overlap with some new department head and an increased emphasis on merchandising?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Didn't that overlap with some new department head and an increased emphasis on merchandising?

Okay that's fine but you don't need to try and step into a market that's already over-saturated like superheroes. You can go into almost any retail store and they have at least two aisles dedicated to Marvel, DC, Transformers and the like. You aren't going to be able to compete for that audience's attention.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Okay that's fine but you don't need to try and step into a market that's already over-saturated like superheroes. You can go into almost any retail store and they have at least two aisles dedicated to Marvel, DC, Transformers and the like. You aren't going to be able to compete for that audience's attention.

I'm not defending it, I'm trying to figure out where the blame should be attributed for what

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm not defending it, I'm trying to figure out where the blame should be attributed for what

Market Research said Jace should be spotlighted more so you can blame their marketing team for this.

Like I don't care if you have the Jacetice League on every plane just don't put their cards in every set. We have 3 Nissas, 3 Gideons, and 2 Lilianas in the same standard and that's just nauseating.

I guess the Intro Deck walkers don't count but still.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 7, 2017

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

Market Research said Jace should be spotlighted more so you can blame their marketing team for this.

Like I don't care if you have the Jacetice League on every play just don't put their cards in every set. We have 3 Nissas, 3 Gideons, and 2 Lilianas in the same standard and that's just nauseating.

Don't forget 1 Jace and 2 Chandra!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Captain Capitalism posted:

Don't forget 1 Jace and 2 Chandra!

I don't think a single Jace is bad, like if we had one Jacetice League walker per block, sure whatever.

But that didn't happen and it's awful now. I'm happy Chandra has good walker cards now though.

Edit: Also, friendly reminder that Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas is 22 dollars on SCG now for some reason. I want Thopter Sword to be good too but come on.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 7, 2017

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Like I don't care if you have the Jacetice League on every plane just don't put their cards in every set. We have 3 Nissas, 3 Gideons, and 2 Lilianas in the same standard and that's just nauseating.

To be fair, with the original rotation It was just 1 Gideon, 1 Jace, 2 Liliana, 1 Chandra and 2 Nissa.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

man these gideon to roman reigns comparisons keep lining up

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Count Bleck posted:

I don't think a single Jace is bad, like if we had one Jacetice League walker per block, sure whatever.

But that didn't happen and it's awful now. I'm happy Chandra has good walker cards now though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I didn't mean "there are bad Jace cards", I meant it in the context of hey, there are multiple cards that say "Planeswalker - Jace".

its me glenda posted:

man these gideon to roman reigns comparisons keep lining up

I'm not really a wrestling guy but go on.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 7, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Serperoth posted:

From Top Level Podcast, according to the link I saw on Tumblr

EDIT: I wanna see Cycling-Control stuff. Not many Cycling counterspells, but Complicate exists. And that new Enchantment that makes Drakes

This will need an errata since it removes the discarding half of cycling costs as well lol.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This will need an errata since it removes the discarding half of cycling costs as well lol.

WHOOPS.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Oh my god it does hahahahaha

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

"Cycling X" just means "X, discard this card: draw a card". The X there is the cycling cost, there's no way to remove the discard as it's part of the keyword.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

"Cycling X" just means "X, discard this card: draw a card". The X there is the cycling cost, there's no way to remove the discard as it's part of the keyword.

The discard is also part of the cost, since it's before the colon, and since it's a replacement and not any kind of reduction it should replace that too.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
702.28a Cycling is an activated ability that functions only while the card with cycling is in a player’s hand. “Cycling [cost]” means “[Cost], Discard this card: Draw a card.”

702.28b Although the cycling ability can be activated only if the card is in a player’s hand, it continues to exist while the object is on the battlefield and in all other zones. Therefore objects with cycling will be affected by effects that depend on objects having one or more activated abilities.

702.28c Some cards with cycling have abilities that trigger when they’re cycled. “When you cycle [this card]” means “When you discard [this card] to pay a cycling cost.” These abilities trigger from whatever zone the card winds up in after it’s cycled.

Discarding a card is part of the cost. Play this card, have seven cards including a cycling card in your hand, draw your entire deck for free.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I can see Tales' point. Here's the explicit text:

702.28a Cycling is an activated ability that functions only while the card with cycling is in a player’s hand. “Cycling [cost]” means “[Cost], Discard this card: Draw a card.”

It's open for interpretation I guess and the card's intent is clear. Still, lol.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

The discard is also part of the cost.

It's part of the total cost of the activated ability but not the "cycling cost". its pretty unintuitive but that's how it works.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Tales of Woe posted:

its pretty unintuitive but that's how it works.

just like split cards cmcs right :rolleyes:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I sorta hope they keep it as printed for a while. It's probably incredibly busted but it'd be fun to see it wreck the format for a while.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/MagicCompRules_20170119.txt posted:

702.1a If an effect refers to a “[keyword ability] cost,” it refers only to the variable costs for that keyword.
Example: Varolz, the Scar-Striped has the following ability: “Each creature card in your graveyard has scavenge. The scavenge cost is equal to its mana cost.” A creature card’s scavenge cost is an amount of mana equal to its mana cost, and the activation cost of the scavenge ability is that amount of mana plus “Exile this card from your graveyard.”

Seems like the card's fine as is.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
What's the latest cephalid breakfast shell these days? Either that or ad naus are how to turn drawing your whole deck into a win.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Doesn't that ruling quite explicitly state the activation cost is paying the mana and exiling the card?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The great thing is that regardless of how it actually works, there will be room for MTGO to gently caress it up somehow!

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Doesn't that ruling quite explicitly state the activation cost is paying the mana and exiling the card?

It says the cycling cost is the X and the activation cost is X + discard, and the card we're talking about says cycling cost.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

JerryLee posted:

The great thing is that regardless of how it actually works, there will be room for MTGO to gently caress it up somehow!

It'll be the scenario where it actually works as intended for once!

In that it will work how it is being described here!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Ah ok, magic's rules-lawyery nature saves us again

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

It'll be the scenario where it actually works as intended for once!

In that it will work how it is being described here!

:cawg:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

it can be read as "[Cycling cost] + [Activation cost] = Cycle" or "[Cycling cost + Activation cost] = Cycle" which is weirdly ambiguous.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Maro does say that starting with Hour of Devastation they're going to cut back on the number of Gatewatch PW cards.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Cactrot posted:

it can be read as "[Cycling cost] + [Activation cost] = Cycle" or "[Cycling cost + Activation cost] = Cycle" which is weirdly ambiguous.

It pretty clearly says that it's Variable cost + Keyword Cost = Activation Cost

Where variable = cycling cost, keyword cost = discard

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'll always remember that story GerryT told about his R&D internship where he was kind of depressed and Tom LaPille took him aside to give him a pep talk like, "you need to understand you're not the smartest guy in the room anymore. get over it"

:stare:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Nm, I'm dumb

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Oh, that makes sense, I forgot about the variable cost changing on keywords granting activated abilities that also have static costs that comes up all the time on exactly one card in Magic's history, Varolz. The only other card to have a specific rule to make it work was Mindslaver, and Varolz could have been written like "plus exile it" instead of having its own CR entry.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Yep, Naya Exert is gonna be a thing no matter how silly and janky. Buy up those Always Watching's now!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

And for funsies, here is a list of creatures with CMC >=6 from BFZ block - the stuff that R&D were "surprised" would be in standard with Champion of Rhonas.

I'm not seeing anything obviously gross other than Ulamog. Drowner and World Breaker are good, obviously. Gladehart Calvary might do something adorable with -1/-1 counters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Meh on the combined look

• Locked thread