Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pick posted:

I'm a biologist and a lifelong fur collector and have been contacted by the port authority a few times for an ID, I can pretty well tell cat (try to read this in a voice where I'm being informational and not a jackass). You see a lot of dog, too. Sometimes it even shows up on eBay as "spotted fur".

Cool. It's nice to know the port authority is cares at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pick posted:

I'm a biologist and a lifelong fur collector and have been contacted by the port authority a few times for an ID, I can pretty well tell cat (try to read this in a voice where I'm being informational and not a jackass). You see a lot of dog, too. Sometimes it even shows up on eBay as "spotted fur".

It sounds weird to say that trapped fur is the most ethical, but seriously, trapped fur is probably the most ethical.

My cougar skin is actually from a tom that was shot by Idaho fish & game because he'd been in what was going to be a fatal altercation with another male (lost an eye, completely hosed up in the front), which is probably the most ethical fur you can get but good luck making a coat out of it.

You should probably feel OK about Chinese cat and dog fur then. Again, travel in "rural" (I say this because urban Chinese will refer to towns of 300k people like they're the depths of Appalachia) China and you can witness the packs of mangy wild dogs that just wander around picking through trash. Basically (as it was explained to me) the Communists were extremely anti pets so it led to the rise of sort of semi feral village pets where there would be random dogs and cats wandering villages for their pest killing purposes but they wouldn't belong to anyone so that the authorities couldn't charge people with crimes. The pet situation in China is actually just super depressing across the board. The dogs in cities are really inbred and raised by people who've never had dogs in tiny rear end apartments and the ones in the rural areas are treated horribly.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i got this today

its a Jiangshi minifigure, which is a chinese zombie/vampire that i only know about from crappy 80s movie "The Jitters"

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WM2...2763129087.html
You should look into finding a copy of Mr. Vampire ASAP

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089371/

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Cool. It's nice to know the port authority is cares at all.

They try but I think they said they have funding to inspect about .3% of incoming. We could like, you know, fund them or whatever but it's way more important that *mumble mumble* anyway enjoy your asianlonghorn beetle and emerald ash borer

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Why is the port authority inspecting furs? Shouldn't that be CBP or the USDA?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know if USDA has that jurisdiction, and CBP's primary mission is hassling grandmas and making people miss their flights for daring to become exasperated in their presence.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Port authority works with APHIS.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Basically (as it was explained to me) the Communists were extremely anti pets so it led to the rise of sort of semi feral village pets where there would be random dogs and cats wandering villages for their pest killing purposes but they wouldn't belong to anyone so that the authorities couldn't charge people with crimes.

That seems...strange, but it would be in line with the general Chinese attitude to challenging social problems: carefully step around and pretend they don't exist.

There was a similar situation in Romania when the communists took over, though it was just a side effect of the housing initiatives, not anything specifically about pets. Ceaucescu had thousands of families forcibly evicted from their country homes and moved into the cities as part of the push to "modernization," and since basically everyone living in the country had a dog or two that they couldn't easily keep in the new tiny concrete apartments, they just let them go. Dogs are hardy critters and now, fifty years later, there's a self-sustaining population of feral dogs throughout the country.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

better stock up on your sex coins for when the dollar collapses; nations rise and fall, commodities fluctuate, but the gently caress index is rock solid

They used to use similar coins in roman brothels. You would buy one at the counter up front and then go give it to the girl or boy you liked, and then do the thing depicted on the coin.

But the aliexpress sex coins look suspiciously similar to 2 euro coins, which makes me wonder

A) are they the same size and weight as 2 euro coins?
b) are they cheaper than 2 euros each?
c) will they be accepted by vending machines?

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

twoday posted:

They used to use similar coins in roman brothels. You would buy one at the counter up front and then go give it to the girl or boy you liked, and then do the thing depicted on the coin.

But the aliexpress sex coins look suspiciously similar to 2 euro coins, which makes me wonder

A) are they the same size and weight as 2 euro coins?
b) are they cheaper than 2 euros each?
c) will they be accepted by vending machines?

Do your vending machines scan for size and density too? They do here in the US. It's interesting to read about, which is why I know this. Basically every machine over here that isn't a vintage Coke or Pepsi machine stocked and set out by a neighborhood mechanic scans coins for both density and size.

There were also plans to scan the front and back face features, IIRC, but our "every state gets their own custom back of the quarter design" nixed that.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Pick posted:

They try but I think they said they have funding to inspect about .3% of incoming. We could like, you know, fund them or whatever but it's way more important that *mumble mumble* anyway enjoy your asianlonghorn beetle and emerald ash borer

My dad worked in forestry for the state here his entire life and his tirades against lax importation and upcoming emerald ash borer devastation still make me Lol to this day. Not a good Lol, but like a "Haha yeah we're hosed"

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Facebook Aunt posted:

Your nan is your grandmother. Trust your grandma is usually pretty good advice.

Hadn't even thought about it in the British sense; thanks mate! Unfortunately my grandmother is dead, so no necklace for me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Hadn't even thought about it in the British sense; thanks mate! Unfortunately my grandmother is dead, so no necklace for me.

In my experience the dead are much more trustworthy than the living.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Facebook Aunt posted:

In my experience the dead are much more trustworthy than the living.

*begins searching AliExpress for cadavers*

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Pick posted:

It sounds weird to say that trapped fur is the most ethical, but seriously, trapped fur is probably the most ethical.

My cougar skin is actually from a tom that was shot by Idaho fish & game because he'd been in what was going to be a fatal altercation with another male (lost an eye, completely hosed up in the front), which is probably the most ethical fur you can get but good luck making a coat out of it.

This is interesting. Do the same sort of conditions also exist within the leather import industry as well as the fur industry?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Sagebrush posted:

- "Salae Logic Analyzer". Remains to be seen if this does what it's supposed to at all. If so, great tool for the electronics kit.

I just received mine, it was about $7 and was recognized immediately by Saleae's Logic application.

I tested with "Hello, world" over 3.3V UART at 57600 baud and it works :)

The official 8-channel one is $220. I feel kind of guilty.

Hunter2 Thompson fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 6, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

meatpotato posted:

I just received mine, it was about $7 and was recognized immediately by Saleae's Logic application.

Link?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1sets-New-Arrival-USB-Logic-Analyze-24M-8CH-MCU-ARM-FPGA-DSP-debug-tool/32246802326.html

There are more expensive ones with more channels and faster sample rates out there too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Cool, my dad will love it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Pick posted:

Cool, my dad will love it.

Get him this for his birthday.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I was reading about how fur is murder

and then i realized i was eating lamb soup and picking little baby furry animal bones out of my mouth whoops

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
I thought I was immune to this thread. Who needs this stuff, I thought.
Welp, I'm ordering four.

Any other good pins?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

meatpotato posted:

Yeah, mine worked perfectly too. It can only store a fraction of a second of data at the high sample rates (i.e. it doesn't appear to be able to stream it over USB) but that may be normal for this kind of device. Works great if you treat it like an oscilloscope and pick appropriate triggers.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

My cat cushion cover arrived today, as well as 150 random stickers. Surprisingly quick!

It's not as white as it appears in that image but it's softer than it looked, will be good once I get a cushion to go inside it!

Todays "It's cheaper than amazon!" item is a nose washer thing, £15 on Amazon, under £3 on here.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Adults-Children-Nose-Wash-System-Clean-Sinus-Allergies-Nasal-Pressure-Neti-pot/32770650074.html

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, mine worked perfectly too. It can only store a fraction of a second of data at the high sample rates (i.e. it doesn't appear to be able to stream it over USB) but that may be normal for this kind of device. Works great if you treat it like an oscilloscope and pick appropriate triggers.

Please post any other useful tools for useless electrical engineers you may find. I'm still waiting on Segger J-Link clone that I'll post about once it arrives.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

meatpotato posted:

Please post any other useful tools for useless electrical engineers you may find. I'm still waiting on Segger J-Link clone that I'll post about once it arrives.

Same, they're great gifts for my dad but I don't know enough about electrical engineering to find things for him. It's not his profession but it's his hobby.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

meatpotato posted:

5x WeMos D1 Mini clone (Arduino-programmable WiFi-capable microcontroller)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5sets-D1-mini-Mini-NodeMcu-4M-bytes-Lua-WIFI-Internet-of-Things-development-board-based/32686634714.html

USB power monitor
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...2626856729.html

SMD test clip
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS-SMD-Inductor-Test-Clip-Probe-Tweezers-for-Resistor-Multimeter-Capacitor/32787483729.html

teeny little OLED display
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/White-Blue-White-and-Blue-color-0-96-inch-128X64-OLED-Display-Module-For-arduino-0/32767499263.html

ultrasonic rangefinder
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...2470130037.html

alcohol sensor module (build your own breathalyzer!)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...2549424675.html

There's zillions of cool little modules like the last three that you can drive with an Arduino or the like and they all cost like a dollar.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 7, 2017

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

canpakes posted:

Hmm how does this work. This looks more interesting. Ali express is a huge bust.

There are a ton of stores on Taobao that sell replicas of brands like Nike, Ralph Lauren, Gucci, Tom Ford, etc. The upside is that the prices are cheaper than Aliexpress, the products will stick around for a lot longer (as in not taken down by the big corps), shipping is way quicker, and the quality will be pretty solid depending on the store (think H&M or better). The downside is that the site is pretty much all in Mandarin, sizes are going to be harder to figure out, and quality can be hit or miss. Luckily there are agents like Ytaopal and Superbuy that will do everything for. All you have to is post the Taobao link in their site and you can figure out what size and color you want. Then that site will buy the products for you, have it shipped to their warehouse, have pics of the actual product sent to you, and then shipped to you. I've bought sunglasses so far (Tom Ford and Ray Bans) from two different stores and my info hasn't been stolen. There is a sub-reddit that has a lot more info, reviews, help but it's like 95% high schoolers that only want poo poo like Yeezys and streetwear brands like Supreme and Palace.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hello yes these are genuine quality legos

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you keep digging, you'll find the ones where they clearly come printed with swastikas that have been poorly photoshopped out for the web page.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Any pic without a link should be probation.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Holy poo poo, thanks!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Sagebrush posted:

There's zillions of cool little modules like the last three that you can drive with an Arduino or the like and they all cost like a dollar.

I picked up a bunch of random sensors/motors/servos to tinker with for $50. Search for "37 in 1" and you can find sensor sets for like $15

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Synthbuttrange posted:

hello yes these are genuine quality legos

Whoa can you please link these I'm all about WW1 lego knock offs

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

WAFFEN-BOX

Captain Yossarian posted:

Whoa can you please link these I'm all about WW1 lego knock offs

thats WWII duh get your lego history straight

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

WAFFEN-BOX

thats WWII duh get your lego history straight

Lol we'll split the difference, some of that stuff is straight from WW1. But seriously that dude(tte?) should totally link it

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Disappointment in progress:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ahahahaha what the gently caress

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lmbo good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I almost wish for some clerk to call that I may angrily explain the difference between a real inspirational ​person and a fictional one.