Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

I assume it'd come at some point, but has Isaac said anything about a Gloomhaven sequel/expansion?

I didn't actually look until you asked, but it seems like there will be an expansion after Founders of Gloomhaven.

http://www.cephalofair.com/2016/11/time-another-national-novel-writing-month.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cease to Hope posted:

I mean, I'll defer to someone who actually cares about Alternity on the details. I was basing it entirely on "same name + same concept + (some of) same people + some reused mechanics".

The closest thing to a reused mechanic is the dice system, and that's not even exactly the same since it's an unbounded roll-over mechanic. Pretty much everything else is different, hell their sample adventure doesn't even have any PC aliens (or mutants, or cyborgs, to take from their KS page), and it looks like they're going for a more generic SF than the original.

If I feel like saying anything else about this, I'll take it to the chat thread, but the whole campaign just pisses me off.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Contrary to general expectations, the folks at Chaosium have announced that they will not be using a kickstarter to fund their upcoming reboot of Runequest. Instead they'll be releasing it directly, selling pdfs as soon as layout is done and starting up printing about a month later.

Apparently scheduling concerns were the main impetus behind the decision; a staff comment revealed that a Kickstarter would have delayed any release by about 6 months. I don't know about you, but that's not something I had really thought about before. I can see how a decent chunk of time like that could be a concern.

Have there been any other cases of a company forgoing an expected kickstarter in favor of another publication method? If so, how did it work out for them?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'd be willing to bet they got so burned by the Horror on the Orient Express and CoC 7th Ed kickstarters and decided to just go this route, but I could be wrong.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Peas and Rice posted:

I'd be willing to bet they got so burned by the Horror on the Orient Express and CoC 7th Ed kickstarters and decided to just go this route, but I could be wrong.

I'm sure this played a big part. Reading all the interviews and stories about that debacle and the founders coming back to clean house paints a picture that Kickstarter almost ended the company, which I would argue was in a more precarious position than they let on.

I think they also know that their core demo is going to buy their books regardless of hype or whatever Kickstarter would bring to them. It's not like a known property from one of the biggest companies in the industry needs a Kickstarter.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Peas and Rice posted:

What happened with these two?

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

What happened with these two?

TLDR: a perfect storm of poor planning and getting brutally hosed by raised shipping rates.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

palecur posted:

TLDR: a perfect storm of poor planning and getting brutally hosed by raised shipping rates.

This, and I'd add "batshit crazy amounts of stretch goals and add-ons" that they didn't consider the costs of actually producing. It's a good case study for "make your stretch goals as low cost as possible."

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

palecur posted:

I think the thing that sums it up the best was the $15 or other insanely low amount $20 they charged to ship a 9+ pound box to Japan. The lack of research they did was astounding.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 6, 2017

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Peas and Rice posted:

OTOH the current regime managed to deliver the Guide to Glorantha and the Runequest Classic Reprint just fine, and their kickstarter for Khan of Khans went off without a hitch.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

FMguru posted:

OTOH the current regime managed to deliver the Guide to Glorantha and the Runequest Classic Reprint just fine, and their kickstarter for Khan of Khans went off without a hitch.

True, and Heroquest: Glorantha besides. Of course, all of those were/are somewhat delayed... largely due to extra work incurred via stretch goals... hmm.

Yeah, that probably accounts for it. The financial lessons of CoC and the temporal lessons of their Glorantha kickstarters provide more than enough grounds for caution. And then there's the dedicated consumer base, the fact that they already have working capital, the mounds of other projects they'd also like to be working on... yeah, I can see how they might not need kickstarter this time.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Switching to actual good RPGs, is anyone backing the Faith Core Rules? I've been interested in the world, but the board gamey-ness of the first edition turned me off. Really thinking of backing this.

I'm backing it! Diceless systems appeal to me, and the setting is interesting enough--though I keep getting the art style confused with Fragged Empire. I also backed Garden in Hell, but never got a chance to run it. I never got the impression that Faith was particularly board gamey; the sales pitch even mentions that there weren't any miniatures rules until this core book.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
How many players are recommended for Gloomhaven? 2-4, 2-5 ... I know there's solo play, too, which is neat.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

dwarf74 posted:

How many players are recommended for Gloomhaven? 2-4, 2-5 ... I know there's solo play, too, which is neat.
I would max out at 3 unless everyone's way on board and okay with a long session, in which case I guess you could try a team of 4.
The amount of enemies in a scenario scales based on whether you have 2/3/4 characters, which means it balloons housekeeping and working out optimal strategies.

I prefer 2 characters, to be honest.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

We play with 4 and it works good, but I think 2 or 3 might work even better. 5 isn't officially supported and sounds like a bad idea.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Awesome. Thanks, goons.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Since this seems to be the Gloomhaven thread for now: GH doesn't need a GM role like Descent, right?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
No. Monsters are automated.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Since this seems to be the Gloomhaven thread for now: GH doesn't need a GM role like Descent, right?

There isn't a full-time GM, but it helps to have a specific person handling particular aspects of the game. I do the card flips for monsters and handle movement, another player does the health tracking, a third tracks the elements board, and it helps things move along more quickly.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I'm reading the preview version of Paranoia, and I'm pretty sure the player's handbook doesn't actually describe Alpha Complex at any point. I was expecting to be disappointed, I was not expecting the book to be missing an entire chapter?

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Gloomhaven has been awesome at all player counts, though I wouldn't play it solo, you're definitely losing out there. 5 is indeed officially supported, in that Isaac gave an official recommendation for a variant (+2 difficulty, I think?)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Vehementi posted:

Gloomhaven has been awesome at all player counts, though I wouldn't play it solo, you're definitely losing out there. 5 is indeed officially supported, in that Isaac gave an official recommendation for a variant (+2 difficulty, I think?)

Yeah up monster level by two if you have to play with 5. He also said he doesn't recommend it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

DalaranJ posted:

I'm reading the preview version of Paranoia, and I'm pretty sure the player's handbook doesn't actually describe Alpha Complex at any point. I was expecting to be disappointed, I was not expecting the book to be missing an entire chapter?

There's another book called 'Guide to Alpha Complex'. That might be what you're after.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Kind of interested in the Gloomhaven minis, but not really big on boardgames. Anyone mind if I toss 'em the $20 plus shipping to add an extra pack on their pledge?

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!

JackMann posted:

Kind of interested in the Gloomhaven minis, but not really big on boardgames. Anyone mind if I toss 'em the $20 plus shipping to add an extra pack on their pledge?

If you're in the UK sure. I finally broke and decided I wanted in on that Boardgame Weightlifting action.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

HopperUK posted:

There's another book called 'Guide to Alpha Complex'. That might be what you're after.

Ugh, when a game is so intrinsically married to its setting like Paranoia is, having a separate entire drat book for the setting just turns me off.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It's precisely because of the setting - the players are meant to be exactly as ignorant as the game master wants them to be. That's why the details are in the GM guide, not the player guide. They're just idiot clones, after all.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Red Oktober posted:

It's precisely because of the setting - the players are meant to be exactly as ignorant as the game master wants them to be. That's why the details are in the GM guide, not the player guide. They're just idiot clones, after all.

There's a difference between this and the players have no loving clue what their own character's lives are like, which is what it sounds like DalaranJ is saying about the new edition. Every previous edition at least gave you some idea as to what Alpha Complex is like.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Kwyndig posted:

There's a difference between this and the players have no loving clue what their own character's lives are like, which is what it sounds like DalaranJ is saying about the new edition. Every previous edition at least gave you some idea as to what Alpha Complex is like.

Seems like there's a bit of confusion.

There are 4 books in total
1 is the GM handbook, with advice on how to reward players, run combat, work with NPCs etc
1 is some ideas for missions
1 is the players handbook - this gives a player a guide on the mechanics of the game - how to create a character, earn and spend XP - all of the actual technical mechanics.
1 is a guide to the alpha complex itself, for GMs and players, and is there to give the flavour you're describing above.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Yeah. That sounds like the problem. That's not in my download list at all.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

That reminds me how in one edition (I think it was XP) the writers talk about how, when you had a mixed group of players who were experienced with Paranoia and ones who were completely new, there's the problem of the experienced players terminating the new players' characters for not knowing basic setting stuff and how that's actually a bad thing because it drives people away from playing again.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

That reminds me how in one edition (I think it was XP) the writers talk about how, when you had a mixed group of players who were experienced with Paranoia and ones who were completely new, there's the problem of the experienced players terminating the new players' characters for not knowing basic setting stuff and how that's actually a bad thing because it drives people away from playing again.

I'm sorry citizens, there was a temporary memorex transfer failure that may have deleted basic setting stuff from your brains. Please report any troubleshooters who remember basic setting details as they may be traitors.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Druggeddwarf posted:

If you're in the UK sure. I finally broke and decided I wanted in on that Boardgame Weightlifting action.

Sadly, no. I'm a US goon.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I dunno if anyone else pledged back in 2015 for the "latest" Super Dungeon Explore reboot, but it's like a year and a half in and it seems like no real progress is made while the company launches other campaigns...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sodapopminiatures/super-dungeon-explore-legends/posts/1847338?ref=activity

At least I've had better success with other KS campaigns (some delivering way earlier), but this one is giving major red flags now. CMON at least comes through after delays.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JazzFlight posted:

I dunno if anyone else pledged back in 2015 for the "latest" Super Dungeon Explore reboot, but it's like a year and a half in and it seems like no real progress is made while the company launches other campaigns...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sodapopminiatures/super-dungeon-explore-legends/posts/1847338?ref=activity

At least I've had better success with other KS campaigns (some delivering way earlier), but this one is giving major red flags now. CMON at least comes through after delays.

I pledged for it, just like I pledged for the previous kickstarter, just like I bought into the first edition very early on. The current kickstarter is managed sooo badly compared to the previous one it is silly.

Oh man, this game. This company.

Soda Pop doesn't know what it is doing or wants to be, and they are going to be putting out a lot of duds. At least when CMON puts out a game with 12000 miniatures you know there will be some design chops there. Soda Pop doesn't have that... and it shows. Protip: if you are going to run your company like Mantic at least put out good products. Rail Runners looks like a lot of flash and a ton of plastic for a game that is basically rolling some poker dice. They got the rights for Anima Tactics and Hell Dorado and just let them die. They released a game of slapjack with anime babes on it. Their Ninja game is pretty bad; it's basically a worse version of bloodbowl. Way of the Fighter is trying to go up against Yomi, Battlecon, Exceed, and UFS... with a worse system that is way more luck based! It is insane!
I mean, I wanted to like Ninja All-Stars, but I couldn't.

SDE has flaws, but was good enough that we played it a lot. Same thing with Relic Knights, minus the "played it a lot" part. Going from 1st -> 2nd edition of SDE was a major overhaul that completely made the game flow differently. The game played mostly the same: roll color dice, actions and movements didn't change, you wanted to beat the boss. However those are mechanics that didn't impact the game as much as turn order, how the boss was spawned, and when loot was given out. Instead of improving on these 3 from the 1st edition they threw them out and completely redid them.
1st ed had a timer and tracked wounds for both the boss and the loot. This made the game very VERY hard for the heroes and was a pain to track, but it made the game flow well. If you didn't destroy all the spawn points the boss would be able to activate twice a turn... not a good thing for the heroes. 2nd ed it is all based on the spawn points. This made less things to keep track of, but it is both easier and harder for the heroes. Once you defeat your first spawnpoint you get to immediately face a mini-boss, ready or not. This makes the first room the most critical, and if you can get past it you are basically done with the game. It will be very hard for the bad guys to catch up because most of the timing is dependent on the heroes (which coincidentally makes the game a lot longer).
Now for the third edition they are changing everything again! If it was based on the first edition but tweaked to make things easier for the heroes it would be a good thing.

Unless you want a all versus 1 style game, Arcadia Quest is a better chibi game overall.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

JazzFlight posted:

LAFFO

Est delivery Dec 2016 - current game

April 7th update:

Super Dungeon Development - 33%
Artwork, Sculpting, Layout - 33%
Pre-press and Manufacturing - 33%

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
I almost backed both of the Super Dungeon Explores, seems like I'm lucky I didn't. I really only wanted the wizard figure from Legends anyways.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Soda Pop are pretty lovely, the original Relic Knights KS was a fiasco and their subsequent treatment of the backers was pretty bad. Don't back their stuff.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Soda Pop was also involved in Robotech RPG Tactics until they bailed on that project after a year (under the name Ninja Division, which covers them and Cipher Studios). People don't generally give them the blame for because Palladium is the easiest target, and the buck ultimately stops at Palladium's door. But Ninja Division / Soda Pop's exit is undoubtedly one of the reasons the Kickstarter crashed as hard as it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Soda Pop is making prepainted miniatures for Starfinder, which is probably a good example of where the quality of that RPG is going to end up.