Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Micomicona posted:

I can't really say whether this is due to steaming vs boiling, but steaming them (little bit o water, eggs in a steamer basket or on a rack) in the pressure cooker makes a HUGE difference in peelability. Generally speaking, older eggs peel easier, but when I did them in the instant pot I used fresh eggs (way fresh, like from-the-chicken's-butt-that-morning fresh) and the shells basically slipped off. Amazing. .

I saw the same thing. Hail the Instant Pot egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The membrane often sticks to the egg for me, like to the point that when I get it off part of the white comes with it.

I've found - and don't quote me on this, I am not an eggspert - that placing them into already boiling water, rather than water still to be heated to a boil, makes this happen less. Also, there should be a hollow in the shell somewhere (usually at the less sharply rounded end) that you can crack into and peel from more easily

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Anne Whateley posted:

If you're boiling eggs, you have to boil an entire pot of water. If you're steaming eggs, you have to boil like 1/4" of water. Obviously this isn't about the time it takes an egg to get from raw to cooked, but it's a major savings on the time it takes from "let's make breakfast" to food in face.

Who eats boiled eggs for breakfast?!?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Anyone who wants a flawless barely-runny egg under their bacon on their English muffin?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

FishBulb posted:

I got served sliced hard boiled egg for breakfast in Japan quite often.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

FishBulb posted:

:what:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Those are pretty cool, but seem like they'd be a bitch to clean if they got yolk dribbled into them.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeh those eggcups are gross and trigger my trypophobia. Not my picture.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Answered my own question and used other leftover with my mole sauce and magiked up snap pea enchiladas. Because that's what I had and it was hello good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Do we have a grilling/BBQ thread?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Anne Whateley posted:

Anyone who wants a flawless barely-runny egg under their bacon on their English muffin?

Learn to poach

Never done that. Seems weird to me. Is it a British thing or something?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bottom Liner posted:

Do we have a grilling/BBQ thread?

yes its on the first page of GWS right now. Very popular thread. One of the best.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ah, the smoking meat thread? Close enough!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

FishBulb posted:

Learn to poach

It is popular in Britain but like... it's just eggs and toast

you should try dipping a buttered soldier into a runny boiled egg some time

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Learn to poach

it's a softboiled egg, super easy. Bring water to a boil that hardly covers the egg(s) in a small container, add eggs, cut heat to a simmer and pull in 6 minutes to ice bath.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

you should try dipping a buttered soldier into a runny boiled egg some time
is this a euphemism

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Learn to poach
Sorry but "loose whites" is a lame reason to throw away half your egg

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bottom Liner posted:

Ah, the smoking meat thread? Close enough!

You said BBQ. Smoking is BBQ.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

not in aus and maybe other commonwealth nations

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yes, a form of. If I were looking for a thread about grilling burgers and steaks though, I wouldn't think to search for smoking since that's a specific and different style of BBQ.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

FishBulb posted:

Poached eggs are great, and very easy. I like mine for just under 3 minutes in boiling water that has a bit of vinegar in it.
Soft-boiled eggs with strips of soft, butter-saturated toast are very much a British thing, yes. You dip the toast in the runny yolk (hence "soft boiled") and use a delicate little spoon to carve out the firm white part. This usually ends with picking bits of eggshell out of your teeth while your snaggle-toothed hosts laugh at your lack of practice in this ancient Limey art.

Others have already answered, mixed with the ongoing conversation about BBQ. So, how about eggs on the BBQ? Good idea or horrible?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

not in aus and maybe other commonwealth nations

I'm Australian. Australians don't know jack poo poo about BBQ. Grilling on gas is bleh. At least get a charcoal Weber you know?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Others have already answered, mixed with the ongoing conversation about BBQ. So, how about eggs on the BBQ? Good idea or horrible?
Nothing beats leftover pulled pork, crisped, with a runny egg on it. Biscuit optional but recommended.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Over rice with soy sauce.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes, a form of. If I were looking for a thread about grilling burgers and steaks though, I wouldn't think to search for smoking since that's a specific and different style of BBQ.

Actually BBQ is synonymous with smoking. What you're referring to is grilling. The only reason I know this is because I have a pedantic asshat of a friend who insists that whenever someone has a barbecue at their house that we all have to call it a "cook out" unless there is, in fact, smoking of meats occurring. So yeah...sorry to pass on that pedantry.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

But as confirmed by our ausie friend:

Ranter posted:

I'm Australian. Australians don't know jack poo poo about BBQ. Grilling on gas is bleh. At least get a charcoal Weber you know?

Anything involving a grill is bbq there, this may be true outside of more than just aus.

I don't know where Bottom Liner is at, but you can now counter your friend's pedantry with your own.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Just don't ask an Argentinian about BBQ. Open pits of burning wood or bust, for them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mikey Purp posted:

Actually BBQ is synonymous with smoking. What you're referring to is grilling. The only reason I know this is because I have a pedantic asshat of a friend who insists that whenever someone has a barbecue at their house that we all have to call it a "cook out" unless there is, in fact, smoking of meats occurring. So yeah...sorry to pass on that pedantry.
I guess if you want to insist etymological purity then if you're using a smoker instead of digging a hole in the ground or maybe if you're Arawak and are using sticks you're not really making BBQ. I mean if you're going to get pedantic you really can't half-rear end it.

The better option is of course to say gently caress it and realise that words mean different things to different people, that there's actually a meaningful difference between an alternate usage and a simple mistake, and that the goal of most language, even on the internet, is to aid rather than hinder communication.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Nah what Australians call BBQ really is just cooking with gas outdoors. Same results as cooking inside with gas. I guess the main advantage is a larger cooking area, if you have a bigger barbie.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

And not heating up the house when it's a million degrees outside.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Propane vs Charcoal, what are your preferences? Go!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

vermin posted:

I prefer propane, really. Because I'm not going to spend the time every night to get a bunch of coals ready, but with propane I can just flip the switch.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Charcoal, it imparts a nice flavor. If you're using gas just cook it on your stove.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

FishBulb posted:

could be, but dipping crunchy toast in runny yolk is still delicious

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I like charcoal because I rarely grill out. It just seems funner to me that way, it's more of an elaborate process that I occasionally do for fun.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

vermin posted:

Propane for convenience, charcoal to BBQ out, wood for flavor.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

JawKnee posted:

could be, but dipping crunchy toast in runny yolk is still delicious

Take your soft-boiled eggs, pull the guts out into a bowl, cut em up into pieces, season, serve on buttered toast slices. Delicious, even if it does cool rather quickly. Not as fussy as the soldiers method. I grew up eating them this way and I'm not British

LongSack fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 8, 2017

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

Propane for convenience, charcoal to BBQ out, wood for flavor.

Advantages of gas:
  • faster
  • doesn't drop live coals on my wooden deck
  • better control of heat levels
  • if you want to add smoke or other stuff, you can

My personal preference, when eating a dry-aged USDA prime steak, is just salt and pepper. YMMV

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Charcoal, because people who don't know any better think you're doing something special. It also looks cooler IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Lawnie posted:

Charcoal, because people who don't know any better think you're doing something special. It also looks cooler IMO.

Yeah but if it's all about cool looks you have to go all out Argentinian asado.

Which I do sometimes - that's the only way to bbq a whole sheep. But day to day it's propane.