Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

egoslicer posted:

Everything that needed to be said, has been already but then you see something like Into the Bandlands fight camp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2icAQrPonU

you have to wonder how a show with presumably much less budgeting has much better atmosphere and fighting

I doubt Into the Badlands has a lower budget than Iron Fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
But there's one key difference, no Scott Buck.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Maybe with the next time we see Iron Fist he'll be better because all of this New York crazy betrayal stuff just hosed up his chi and now he knows how to manage it? Right guys?!

....right?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Badlands probably had a similar if not less budget. Arrow has a way less budget and has better fights.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

10 Beers posted:

Maybe with the next time we see Iron Fist he'll be better because all of this New York crazy betrayal stuff just hosed up his chi and now he knows how to manage it? Right guys?!

....right?
Danny's whole chi stuff was being hosed up by his unresolved feelings about his parents' deaths and anger about Colleen lying to him about being Hand, so in theory if he's made peace with that he should have his poo poo under control.

I totally get why people didn't like that story, but it did pretty much get resolved.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

10 Beers posted:

....right?

The easy out is to have Orson Randall show up, tell Danny he's an idiot, and then teach him the proper way to Iron Fist. Plus he can give him a power up by giving up all that dragon chi he's been holding onto for a few Iron Fist wielders.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

egoslicer posted:

Everything that needed to be said, has been already but then you see something like Into the Bandlands fight camp:

you have to wonder how a show with presumably much less budgeting has much better atmosphere and fighting. Also that apparently the Kung Fu master's name is Dee Dee.

Is Into the Badlands actually any good? I keep seeing ads for it and regardless of it appearing like a show that would be right up my ally, I don't feel a draw towards it in anyway whatsoever.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

egoslicer posted:

you have to wonder how a show with presumably much less budgeting has much better atmosphere and fighting. Also that apparently the Kung Fu master's name is Dee Dee.

I willing to bet they spent more than a couple weeks training the leads. And also more than 15 minutes prior to filming to give them the fight choreography. Both of which happened for Iron Fist.

EDIT: just watched that video. I willing to bet large amounts of money that none of that happened for Iron Fist.

EDIT2: That led me to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fdCPQssm8. I'd forgotten how fun those fights were. It's just a shame about everything else in the show.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 6, 2017

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Is Into the Badlands actually any good? I keep seeing ads for it and regardless of it appearing like a show that would be right up my ally, I don't feel a draw towards it in anyway whatsoever.

Season 1 is kind of meh, but has solid fight scenes. Season 2 (now airing) is much better on story and the fighting is still great. S1 is also only 6 episodes, so worth it, IMO.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I do have to say that I honestly prefer seasons to be shorter, like 10-13 episodes. That really feels like the best length to build a story with a few subplots and resolve them all without having to resort to stupid filler.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Ramadu posted:

I do have to say that I honestly prefer seasons to be shorter, like 10-13 episodes. That really feels like the best length to build a story with a few subplots and resolve them all without having to resort to stupid filler.

And then we have Legion, where everyone's slightly unhappy with the 8 episodes and wishes it was 9, or 10. I think giving them some flexibility in episode range is probably the best option. Some shows are probably honestly even better with the full 20+ episodes in a season. Forcing all the netflix shows to be as long as they are and not any shorter or longer probably did hurt them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wolpertinger posted:

And then we have Legion, where everyone's slightly unhappy with the 8 episodes and wishes it was 9, or 10. I think giving them some flexibility in episode range is probably the best option. Some shows are probably honestly even better with the full 20+ episodes in a season. Forcing all the netflix shows to be as long as they are and not any shorter or longer probably did hurt them.

Who's unhappy with 8 episodes? Certainly not the TVIV thread. For Legion, and Stranger Things, 8 episodes was the perfect number of episodes. It focused the show into a tight narrative and really left no room for cruft or filler to pad it out to the "expected" length. I wish more shows would do the "just enough episodes to tell the story and no more"

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Its a niche show but it caters to that niche really, really well. It's basically what Iron Fist should have been in terms of the action and the drama.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Danny's whole chi stuff was being hosed up by his unresolved feelings about his parents' deaths and anger about Colleen lying to him about being Hand, so in theory if he's made peace with that he should have his poo poo under control.

I totally get why people didn't like that story, but it did pretty much get resolved.

I keep wondering why the monks in Kun Lun didn't teach him how to deal with his parents' deaths and his PTSD in the 15 fuckin years he was there training with them

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
His Buddhist training must have been... impermanent.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Pussy Quipped posted:

I keep wondering why the monks in Kun Lun didn't teach him how to deal with his parents' deaths and his PTSD in the 15 fuckin years he was there training with them

They did, if those flashbacks from Hand Fight Club are to be believed. Apparently it just didn't take.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

They did, if those flashbacks from Hand Fight Club are to be believed. Apparently it just didn't take.

They should've used something stronger than sticks to beat the lessons in properly.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RareAcumen posted:

They should've used something stronger than sticks to beat the lessons in properly.

They tried a dragon. It didn't work.

Danny Rand has super human density.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Pussy Quipped posted:

I guess I could see it not working once he's actually reunited with the Meachums and actually having to deal with everything face to face.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gyges posted:

Danny Rand has super human density.

"I am...the Osmium Fist!"

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Well, only a few months till The Defenders, at least.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sounds like the second season of Jessica Jones is getting close to start production, if it hasn't already, since they've started to make casting announcements

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pussy Quipped posted:

I mean, their training seemed to involve a lot of beatings and harsh rules and punishment so "PTSD treatment" probably wasn't high on their list of concerns. It was probably a lot of "center yourself and move past it" and not a lot of "so what happens if I find out the only people I consider family are behind my parents' deaths and want to kill me now?"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pussy Quipped posted:

You're assuming that because they're kung fu monks that they're going to be also great at traumatic counseling, therapy, psychology and healthy child rearing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well, he acts a lot like he picked up Buddhism and meditates and stuff.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was stuck at home with a cold all day, so I made myself watch the last four episodes of Iron Fist.

Why did they make "trust no one, everyone will betray you" the theme of the show? The only character whose arc that worked with was Joy

The theme should tie in with the main character, but Danny is just a mess of a character. The clearest part of him is survivor's guilt over his parents, so shouldn't survivor's guilt have been the theme? Or maybe guilt generally?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Guy Goodbody posted:

I was stuck at home with a cold all day, so I made myself watch the last four episodes of Iron Fist.

Why did they make "trust no one, everyone will betray you" the theme of the show? The only character whose arc that worked with was Joy

The theme should tie in with the main character, but Danny is just a mess of a character. The clearest part of him is survivor's guilt over his parents, so shouldn't survivor's guilt have been the theme? Or maybe guilt generally?

Guilt over his parents, guilt over the lawsuit plaintiffs, guilt over leaving Kun Lun, there was plenty to work with but all Danny could muster is smacking Harold and running away like a kid playing tag.

It's funny, I didn't hate it when I was watching it but now I look back and can't think of anything good about it. Colleen was good, that's about it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

howe_sam posted:

Sounds like the second season of Jessica Jones is getting close to start production, if it hasn't already, since they've started to make casting announcements

Anyone who reads the comics have any idea who Janet McTeer might be playing?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They should have just had David Tenant be the villain in every series . Just finished watching Jessica Jones and drat what a good series.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Pakled posted:

Anyone who reads the comics have any idea who Janet McTeer might be playing?

Comics wouldn't really help. While Jessica Jones S1 definitely captures the spirit of Jessica's debut series, Alias, it isn't a direct or even close adaptation of it. Several characters featured in Alias are either tied up with the MCU on the film side, or are with other studios, or just wouldn't work thematically within the show. Jessica's relationship with Kilgrave is definitely different than within Alias, though there are a couple scenes that are pretty close adaptations of it.

Long way of saying I have no idea.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If Sony cuts ties with Marvel, I'd love them to give Sony the middle finger by including JJJ and the spider ladies in JJ season 2.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
JK Simmons should be free after Justice League, and he's done TV before. I'm in.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ideally it would be more noir-ish, a mystery where JJ needs to track down something down. Maybe whoever is creating MGH (which caused her accident)?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The acting in Into the Badlands is easily the worst acting I have ever seen in a TV show and the costume design is so "LARP sleepaway camp" bad but the fights in S1 are pretty cool and floaty in that fun 'Crouching Tiger' way.

The Instagram clip of that dude lol'in at Danny jumping over the cab is pretty firmly cementing my decision to watch this. After spending a year watching amazing Kung Fu from Thailand and Seoul I cannot stomach badly edited fights anymore.

Really it cannot be overstated how important 'The Raid' is to fighting in movies and TV. If you haven't watched it yet it basically a timeless action classic.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't mind ItB except for the absolute caricature of a southern antagonist.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ufarn posted:

I don't mind ItB except for the absolute caricature of a southern antagonist.

Compared to some of the chucklefucks I have had to deal with in Robins County North Carolina, he's actually downright normal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I mean, "guilt" was definitely another big theme with Joy wrestling with the guilt of her job, Ward drugging himself over the guilt of lying to his sister and enabling his dad, and Colleen dealing with the guilt of lying to Danny.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Well that was a weird ending to a weird show. It wasn't great but I didn't hate watching it either, although that last five minutes or so were a wet fart.

Thank you to whoever said I would be rooting for Ward by the end, because I'll be damned if I wasn't rooting for evil Tim Allen by the end. Joy was up there too but I am wholly unconvinced by the setup for her future heel turn.

One thing that would've made the show better for me is if they had leaned into the "Danny is hosed up from watching his parents die in a plane crash and being taken to this crazy monastery" angle earlier on. Once they had fully spelled out the impact that ordeal had on him, I felt like I understood Danny's character flaws in a better way. But without that context I spent the first half of the season wondering how this supposed zen paragon could be such a clueless, hotheaded prick.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 8, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So I just watched the first episode of Iron Fist. If Netflix hadn't just made three very good Marvel shows (even the flawed ones were better than like 90% of TV and 1000% of live-action superhero TV adaptations), it would have been, you know, fine I guess.

I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I finally finished it.

I'm gonna go against popular opinion here and say that I thought it was really, really good. Sure, there were a few hilarious editing issues (like that cab scene), but everything else felt *just right*.

What I enjoyed the most is how tonally different it was from DD, JJ and LC. Unlike those three, Danny is pretty much a maladjusted, clueless young adult. He behaves exactly how you would expect a 25-year old who just spent 15 years being trained by monks would. He's socially clueless, incredibly naive and carries a ton of angst. As a result he gets manipulated and taken advantage of by pretty much everyone. To me that's what makes him endearing and relatable. Sure he has a glowing uberfist but at the end of the day he's human and very vulnerable.

I also enjoyed the Ward/Joy/Harold subplot a lot. Not a lot of shows explore brother/sister dynamics in a corporate setting and I thought it had a lot of interesting angles, especially later on when Joy finds out about Harold. Ward started out as a bit annoying but became a favorite after a few episodes once it became obvious that he was simply a victim of his dad's insane schemes.

Also also, Colleen was great. Well-written character with an interesting subplot of her own as well as lots of agency in the main plot, backed by really solid acting. Looking forward to seeing more of her in S2.

My only complaint is the Davos storyline. I think the show could have done a better job providing snippets of Danny's life in Kun Lun and built his relationship with his masters and fellow students there. That would have made his leaving feel more impactful. All we got was a short scene with Davos where they're guarding the mountain pass. As a result, all of Davos's lectures and rants felt pretty shallow, and him plotting to kill Danny at the end made zero sense.