Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Just lol if the Lakers draft Ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I hope the East standings remind the same. I'd love the Raps to play Boston in round 2 and don't mind them not having home court—if anything, playing the first two games on the road might be good, as the ACC gets so loving hype I think it messes with us.. Just gotta avoid the Bulls so they dont get swept in round 1

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Just lol if the Lakers draft Ball

If they draft him it will only encourage his dad. It still might be the best move depending on where their pick is.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

If he keeps enraging the kind of people that think college basketball is The Right to Play then I'm all for it really

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, MJ was in baseball and had a major injury but this is still ridiculous:

https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/status/850411016634683392

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

What I'm reading there is lebron isn't a quitter!!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The Spurs never rest their players against the Mavs. This year I want the Mavs to close out with losses to get the best possible pick. Of course I read this today "Kawhi Leonard (rest), LaMarcus Aldridge (rest), Pau Gasol (rest) and Danny Green (left quad contusion) will not play against the Mavs. Also out are Manu Ginobili (right quad contusion) and Dejounte Murray (left groin injury). " I hate the Spurs.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

BWV posted:

I hope the East standings remind the same. I'd love the Raps to play Boston in round 2 and don't mind them not having home court—if anything, playing the first two games on the road might be good, as the ACC gets so loving hype I think it messes with us.. Just gotta avoid the Bulls so they dont get swept in round 1

You've now ensured that the Raptors will play the Bulls.

Good Work You Get An HIV
Feb 22, 2016

BWV posted:

As a Celtics fan, I'm hoping for a gritty 7 game series with the Raptors because it is fun watching our teams play well against each other.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

leftist heap posted:

Meyers Leonard continues to be utter trash. With Nurk out Portland would rather spend 32 minutes with the tallest dude on the court being Noah Vonleh than play his garbage rear end.

He's garbage but he's also hurt right now, not that he isn't pretty close to garbage when healthy. If Ed Davis was healthy you would probably see Leonard shut down.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

pubic works project posted:

You've now ensured that the Raptors will play the Bulls.

not the worst possible result. At least a 4 game sweep with a bunch of blown leads would probably result in Casey being fired

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Good Work You Get An HIV posted:

As a Celtics fan, I'm hoping for a gritty 7 game series with the Raptors because it is fun watching our teams play well against each other.

rough times watching a raptors playoff series for good play

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Good Work You Get An HIV posted:

I have some bad news for you, you might want to sit down for this

Good Work You Get An HIV
Feb 22, 2016

C'mon guys, if Casey got an extension I'm sure he proved something to Masai in his last runs!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Kibner posted:

More minutes as well, passed him up this year I think

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spacebump posted:

How would everyone react if MVP voting tied this year and Harden/Westbrook were co-mvps? I'm not necessarily in favor of it but could easily see voting being that close this year.

I'd be fine with it. Without Russ, the Thunder'd be a lottery team, full-stop. However, while I think the Rockets would be bit better than that without Harden, he's a better, more efficient scorer (while also leading the league in assists).

What I find incredible is that we'd still have a really good MVP race if neither guy existed. Lebron is his usual brilliant self, Kawhi Leonard is crazy good at both ends of the court (efficient, too), and Giannis Antetokounmpo is a reliable 3 pt shot away from being a top 5 guy.

To say nothing of Anthony Davis (heaven help us if they ever build him around him well, Boogie could be a good start if they adjust), Steph Curry, Karl Towns, DeMar DeRozan (I know this'll get scoffs but there were a bunch of times this year where he basically dragged Toronto to wins by sheer will), etc.

It's a good time to be an NBA fan.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Westbrook mvp with a special ceremony stripping drose of his and giving it to lebron

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd be fine with it. Without Russ, the Thunder'd be a lottery team, full-stop. However, while I think the Rockets would be bit better than that without Harden, he's a better, more efficient scorer (while also leading the league in assists).

It's funny that this is the common perception now, but before the season everyone had OKC pegged as being as good or better than Houston. https://www.si.com/nba/2016/10/10/nba-over-under-bets-warriors-knicks-lakers-suns

Also during the playoff run last summer everyone was really high on Adams, and when the Ibaka for Oladipo trade went down there was lots of talk from people that Ibaka was done and Oladipo would improve the team for now, not just in the future.

I think that the way Westbrook has dominated the ball in an unprecedented manner means people are underrating the rest of the players on the team. Now that's not to say that letting Westbrook dominate isn't the best strategy for them to win, but I think it definitely has impacted the perception of his surrounding talent.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The only people who think Russell--who just has had a really good sophomore season--should play out of position at SG for Ball are hardcore Russell haters and people who think Lavar Ball has a great basketball mind. Either way not people I'd want to trust but unfortunately Magic Johnson probably is one of them.

And even if you believe that Russell can't run an offense (even though the numbers and watching the team regularly suggest otherwise), then you draft Dennis Smith, not a guy who has shown no ability to run a half court offense and whose entire game revolves around fast breaking in a league where 28 teams are really good at stopping breaks (and the Lakers are one of the teams that can't).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
LaVar Ball is the man

NickRoweFillea posted:

We're all going to die because our president is retarded. Enjoy this slam courtesy of an immigrant

https://instagram.com/p/BSkNJLeBYD4/
it's gonna be fine
just invest in raytheon

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Kibner posted:

the best part of this tweet are the dumbasses responding and trying to debate it cuz LEBRON IS SOFT AND MJ IS OLD SCHOOL BASTETBALL LIKE IT USED TO BEEEE
they don't get that this is a game, not the ancient egyptian goddess of cats and joy

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

tanglewood1420 posted:

It's funny that this is the common perception now, but before the season everyone had OKC pegged as being as good or better than Houston. https://www.si.com/nba/2016/10/10/nba-over-under-bets-warriors-knicks-lakers-suns

"Houston won't make the playoffs" is the new "Spurs are DONE this year they're too old"

I guess if Harden doesn't win I'd rather Westbrook win it because it would make the "he's not a real PG" crowd mad

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

This is a really good article on Khris Middleton, hopefully the Bucks can finally have Giannis, Jabari, and Middleton playing together next year

https://theringer.com/nba-milwaukee-bucks-khris-middleton-secretly-great-23e6de47dc96

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rick posted:

The only people who think Russell--who just has had a really good sophomore season--should play out of position at SG for Ball are hardcore Russell haters and people who think Lavar Ball has a great basketball mind. Either way not people I'd want to trust but unfortunately Magic Johnson probably is one of them.

And even if you believe that Russell can't run an offense (even though the numbers and watching the team regularly suggest otherwise), then you draft Dennis Smith, not a guy who has shown no ability to run a half court offense and whose entire game revolves around fast breaking in a league where 28 teams are really good at stopping breaks (and the Lakers are one of the teams that can't).

Rick is the Laker fanbase clamoring for Lavar Ball?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's split but a large part of Lakers fans are also UCLA fans.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Does Ball to the Lakers lead to pops lining up pregame to dap up the starters?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

zelah posted:

Does Ball to the Lakers lead to pops lining up pregame to dap up the starters?

The first dustup will occur after Lavar snubs Larry Nance Jr because he thinks he's white

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

You talk tough, but I bet LaVar breaks your rear end in half in a half-court 1:1 game. It won't be no game with a girl trying to hit on you.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 7, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

I am down with the theory that Pop hates the Lakers so much that now that his team's seeding is locked in he's losing to them on purpose to hurt their draft chances.

Yea, the double tank game is always a possibility.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

If he keeps enraging the kind of people that think college basketball is The Right to Play then I'm all for it really

I watch some of the title game each year and it just keeps getting funnier.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spacebump posted:

The Spurs never rest their players against the Mavs. This year I want the Mavs to close out with losses to get the best possible pick. Of course I read this today "Kawhi Leonard (rest), LaMarcus Aldridge (rest), Pau Gasol (rest) and Danny Green (left quad contusion) will not play against the Mavs. Also out are Manu Ginobili (right quad contusion) and Dejounte Murray (left groin injury). " I hate the Spurs.

Also, the Spurs don't seem to be doing their descriptive reasons anymore like they did for Duncan. e.g. DNP-OLD MAN, DNP-LAZY etc.

Needs more DNP-TANKING, DNP-GET THAT #1 PICK.

Kibner posted:

LBJ has played 35+ MPG in each of his first fourteen seasons. Only Elvin Hayes, Oscar Robertson, and Wilt Chamberlain have done that before. Oscar and Wilt both retired after their fourteenth season and Elvin did 28 MPG in his fifteenth year.

So as you can see LBJ rests too much...or something.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

He's garbage but he's also hurt right now, not that he isn't pretty close to garbage when healthy. If Ed Davis was healthy you would probably see Leonard shut down.

I keep forgetting he's hurt because I hate his dumb rear end and dumb face so much.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

BWV posted:

not the worst possible result. At least a 4 game sweep with a bunch of blown leads would probably result in Casey being fired

Bwahahaha you're stuck with Casey forever. He's going to be a cyborg on the sidelines for the next 100 years. Accept it. Resistance is futile.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

You talk tough, but I bet LaVar breaks your rear end in half in a half-court 1:1 game. It won't be no game with a girl trying to hit on you.

I imagine he would whoop me and then my stepdad would come to the court Wrestlemania 9 style and show that Washington State was ducking Rancho Santiago Community College the whole time because they knew they'd get beat.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

I'd pay money to see that

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

chunkles posted:

"Houston won't make the playoffs" is the new "Spurs are DONE this year they're too old"

I guess if Harden doesn't win I'd rather Westbrook win it because it would make the "he's not a real PG" crowd mad

Something tells me they won't say "Houston won't make the playoffs" after this season. The Spurs being too old/done was said for almost a decade. I have distinct memories of it being said in 08-09.

Rick posted:

I imagine he would whoop me and then my stepdad would come to the court Wrestlemania 9 style and show that Washington State was ducking Rancho Santiago Community College the whole time because they knew they'd get beat.

In this scenario I want to be sitting courtside wearing a Rick jersey heckling LaVar.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Spacebump posted:

Something tells me they won't say "Houston won't make the playoffs" after this season. The Spurs being too old/done was said for almost a decade. I have distinct memories of it being said in 08-09.

It got some good play the year before they made the WCF too. It might not become as persistent as Spurs Being Too Old but I feel like it'll come back easily if they have a bad year

chunkles fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 8, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the Spurs be Too Old even after Manu and Parker retire and LaMarcus becomes their oldest player at like 33

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/NBATV/status/850503002586787840

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Rick would gently caress Lavar Ball up like he was playing a classroom full of retarded kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Spurs do suck though (y'all), so I guess Houston isn't making the playoffs

• Locked thread