Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Piell posted:

Did they shorten the time it takes to use devices? It seems faster than it used to be.

Yea it was one of the undocumented changes iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Piell posted:

Did they shorten the time it takes to use devices? It seems faster than it used to be.

Yeah, at least twice as fast per device now. Makes device rounds a breeze. Maybe too easy. I'd recommend having the team spread out - you can knock a device out in a few seconds as long as the area is somewhat clear of enemies. Takes longer to get to a device than disable it.

Bronze/Silver are definitely easier than they were previously. Enemies die more quickly, and the combos I was doing actually seemed to take a decent chunk of health off. Used the Mattock X a bit, and found it wanting, but it's "OK" overall I'd say. Nothing to write home about, and definitely not a primary you can rely on, but fine for finishing off enemies. It's accurate, and fast firing, just not optimal. Used with Krogan Engineer, and it complimented my combos pretty well I think. Sandstorm is still poo poo though IMO. Fire rate is poo poo, damage doesn't make up for it.

Unfortunately, in the 5 games I played, I completed two, lost sound entirely in one, and crashed to desktop in two. I hadn't lost sound for the better part of a week, and hadn't crashed for longer than that, and I play a fair bit. I was also seeing bits of the match UI bleeding into the menus post-game. Player indicators, shield and health indicators, etc. Happened after both successful games, which were separated by a client restart. Anyway, needless to say I stopped playing after the second crash. That said, if stability isn't a problem for you, don't dismiss the patch as poo poo just because there were some nerfs to "stuff that worked". There's a whole lot of undocumented poo poo they changed, and in the admittedly limited time I played it since the patch, I'd say it's an improvement overall.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If you fire it in in small bursts the Charger outdamages the Mattock at medium range. The Charger's pretty much always equipped on my characters. It's especially nice on vanguards because you can charge, punch, then hold the trigger if they get slightly out of melee range and the problem goes away. It does decent damage to armor somehow, too.

Now if the game would just give me a pistol mod. All I've got is the melee 1 one!

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

RBA Starblade posted:

If you fire it in in small bursts the Charger outdamages the Mattock at medium range. The Charger's pretty much always equipped on my characters. It's especially nice on vanguards because you can charge, punch, then hold the trigger if they get slightly out of melee range and the problem goes away. It does decent damage to armor somehow, too.

Now if the game would just give me a pistol mod. All I've got is the melee 1 one!

Oh no doubt there are better choices than the Mattock. But it's sorta usable as long as you're not trying to make it your primary damage source. Or, if you prefer, you can probably use it in combination with your abilities to get enough kills for the 140,000 points you need to get its portion of the weapon achievements now. But if you bring it to Gold, or intend to heavily rely on it, kiss your rear end goodbye.

Charger gets even better with the extended mag. I like it, but have been avoiding it since it's too easy. I've basically been using it as a backup weapon for snipers and shotgun users, though it doesn't get used much.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

PureRok posted:

So, I have a question for something I've always wondered. Maybe one of you fine folks will be able to answer.

For the Valkyrie, is the listed damage per bullet or per burst? Because each pull of the trigger is a 2 shot burst.

So, is it 99 damage per bullet (so 198 per trigger pull), or 99 per burst (or 49.5 per bullet)?

All damages are per bullet, except shotguns. They didn't split out pellet damage, so it's per trigger pull.

Most burst fire weapons still seem to have bugged RoFs, though. They're in line to deal decent damage based on the listed stats, but the RoF# doesn't account for the hard stop after a 3 round burst. It's worst on the Hornet (lists 950, closer to 400 in reality), but anything burst fire is a trap right now.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Relentless posted:

All damages are per bullet, except shotguns. They didn't split out pellet damage, so it's per trigger pull.

Most burst fire weapons still seem to have bugged RoFs, though. They're in line to deal decent damage based on the listed stats, but the RoF# doesn't account for the hard stop after a 3 round burst. It's worst on the Hornet (lists 950, closer to 400 in reality), but anything burst fire is a trap right now.

That's too bad. The Valkyrie is my favorite gun and I've used it almost exclusively since ME3MP Turian Ghost days. Love it with unlimited ammo (heatsink) on SP.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

PureRok posted:

That's too bad. The Valkyrie is my favorite gun and I've used it almost exclusively since ME3MP Turian Ghost days. Love it with unlimited ammo (heatsink) on SP.

The good news is yesterday's patch was almost entirely buffs to guns with RoF issues. They were mostly the semi-autos, but I wouldn't be surprised if they hit all the burst fires next.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wish the avenger was a viable weapon. I like the way the gun handles, and I really like the reload animation that it has in this game. It's a shame that it's so shy about killing people though

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

PureRok posted:

I agree, I got the Valkyrie right before I stopped playing ME3 so I didn't mess with it too much but I loved it while I used it and I beelined for it in Andromeda campaign and was kind of disappointed by the janky fire rate. It still is very satisfying though.

They need to make shotguns good goddamn it. I want to use the Crusader or Piranha you bastards. It's too bad about the Piranha being UR now though. :/

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Finally started to get the hang of the Human-Vanguard-Biotic-Punch-Machine last night after respeccing and putting nothing into Nova or Shockwave, maxing Charge and putting the rest into Barrier (I'm only level 11). Here is how I specced Charge:
* 4 - damage and force
* 5 - weapons and melee
* 6 - bastion

It was a tough decision on the 6th point - I could see both being really good. Curious to see some numbers on whether more shields are recharged through faster charges with reduced cooldown or through the increased shield restored through bastion.

I wish the class wasn't so reliant on a good connection, however. Unless I'm hosting, which takes forever to get a pug lobby filled up, it's 50/50 on whether or not I'll be effective.

I'm still plinking away in bronze. I suppose I need to step up my game and hit up silvers with goons. Maybe I'll hop in the discord...

Anyway, having fun with it. Much more so than single player.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

Welp it's still crashing constantly. Seems to happen at extraction a lot as well, it's pretty god damned annoying.

gently caress this game

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

You should take radius on Charge 4, it functions admirably as an AOE stun and can help you survive engagements with more than one target.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

You should take radius on Charge 4, it functions admirably as an AOE stun and can help you survive engagements with more than one target.
That's good to know. I was finding myself surrounded by those mutant dog things when going up against Raiders or whatever that faction is. Any tips for the other skills?

Also is there a build calculator ala Kalence or Narida yet?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

Welp it's still crashing constantly. Seems to happen at extraction a lot as well, it's pretty god damned annoying.

I had this issue and moving from a wifi to a wired connection fixed it for me. I would get crashes that would hardlock my windows 10 machine and now I don't. It is a mystery

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I haven't experienced any of these crashes, and I'm on a wired connection so maybe that's it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah, I went radius and bastion and on Nova I'm going for armor-piercing and biotic priming. Barrier I'm going for shields on punch and saving barrier since it lets you survive sync kills.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheDK posted:

Finally started to get the hang of the Human-Vanguard-Biotic-Punch-Machine last night after respeccing and putting nothing into Nova or Shockwave, maxing Charge and putting the rest into Barrier (I'm only level 11). Here is how I specced Charge:
* 4 - damage and force
* 5 - weapons and melee
* 6 - bastion

It was a tough decision on the 6th point - I could see both being really good. Curious to see some numbers on whether more shields are recharged through faster charges with reduced cooldown or through the increased shield restored through bastion.

I wish the class wasn't so reliant on a good connection, however. Unless I'm hosting, which takes forever to get a pug lobby filled up, it's 50/50 on whether or not I'll be effective.

I'm still plinking away in bronze. I suppose I need to step up my game and hit up silvers with goons. Maybe I'll hop in the discord...

Anyway, having fun with it. Much more so than single player.
You don't need goon groups to do silver. I haven't had a chance to play since the patch dropped, so I can't speak to the new changes. But pre-patch, a human vanguard with maxed charge and 5 ranks in barrier (to get shield regen on melee) could easily pug gold outlaws. Just jump up to silver and see how it works.

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl
Man im playing this on a GTX 1060 3gb with 8gb memory and it runs like rear end. Game seems ok so far though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. Abysmal posted:

My Apex rating went down? It was around 3,200 earlier today and now it's 2,800

A result of one of the fixes to Challenges, I think. I no longer have "Gold Apex Mastery" but I do have some other Mastery plate that I didn't before (Biotic, I think)

e: you don't need goon groups to do Gold either, I do nothing but Gold and my only character higher than level 12 is HuVan at 14, and I am not amazing at this game (I could never solo Gold in ME3)

Time to change the thread title back to "Everything is viable on Gold"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Except for 30-something guns.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TheDK posted:

That's good to know. I was finding myself surrounded by those mutant dog things when going up against Raiders or whatever that faction is. Any tips for the other skills?

Also is there a build calculator ala Kalence or Narida yet?

I don't think there's a build calculator yet but I dunno for sure.

Nova as a primer is very funny and also a hard stun on unprotected enemies, and will stagger most human-sized enemies with protection. I didn't like the shield drain evolution, but maybe you might.

Shock Trooper on Charge, the 6a evolution, is pretty ok if you inexplicably always host and never lag.

The Barrier 6 evolution that gives max shields at low health once every ten seconds is pretty incredible.

I haven't messed around with forgoing Apex Training to max out Shockwave into a primer and using Shock Trooper to detonate everything alongside Nova primer but it might be worth playing with on one of the two characters.

The Charger with melee enhanced is objectively the best Vanguard gun below rares.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think there's a build calculator yet but I dunno for sure.

Nova as a primer is very funny and also a hard stun on unprotected enemies, and will stagger most human-sized enemies with protection. I didn't like the shield drain evolution, but maybe you might.

Shock Trooper on Charge, the 6a evolution, is pretty ok if you inexplicably always host and never lag.

The Barrier 6 evolution that gives max shields at low health once every ten seconds is pretty incredible.

I haven't messed around with forgoing Apex Training to max out Shockwave into a primer and using Shock Trooper to detonate everything alongside Nova primer but it might be worth playing with on one of the two characters.

The Charger with melee enhanced is objectively the best Vanguard gun below rares.

I didn't realize that the saving barrier evolution allowed you to survive sync kills, that seems pretty nice to have. I was leaning toward the "restore shields on kill" evolution but it seems like the other one is the clear choice.

I wish shotguns didn't suck, because having a weapon with a bayonet attached would just be so aesthetically pleasing for vanguards. Although I guess the optimal weapon being called "the charger" is a good consolation prize.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Digirat posted:

Everything is viable on gold

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ainsley McTree posted:

I didn't realize that the saving barrier evolution allowed you to survive sync kills, that seems pretty nice to have. I was leaning toward the "restore shields on kill" evolution but it seems like the other one is the clear choice.

I wish shotguns didn't suck, because having a weapon with a bayonet attached would just be so aesthetically pleasing for vanguards. Although I guess the optimal weapon being called "the charger" is a good consolation prize.

Saving Barrier seems objectively correct because biotic kills aren't as common as melee kills, which you can get shields back on anyway (hell, even just punches).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ainsley McTree posted:

I agree with both points. I thought shields on kill would be great but because it's specifically biotics and biotics on their own are mostly weak I think it's inferior.

I desperately want shotguns to not suck. :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Digirat posted:

I said "viable", not "optimal". :)

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

precision posted:

I said "viable", not "optimal". :)

Goons can't tell the difference

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh I glazed right over the part where it said "biotic kills". Unless your biotic punching fist counts then yeah gently caress that.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I agree with both points. I thought shields on kill would be great but because it's specifically biotics and biotics on their own are mostly weak I think it's inferior.

I desperately want shotguns to not suck. :smith:

I specced my human vanguard with shield regen on melee attacks and biotic kills because chances are I'm going to do one of those every kill. I only use my weapon to weaken larger targets.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh I glazed right over the part where it said "biotic kills". Unless your biotic punching fist counts then yeah gently caress that.

I think Biotic Punch does count as a Biotic kill? Otherwise, poo poo job at naming things, guys.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

precision posted:

I think Biotic Punch does count as a Biotic kill? Otherwise, poo poo job at naming things, guys.

Some times it says it's just "melee", other times it says "biotic amplifier" and I have no idea why.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I like the havoc trooper + sweeper. It's fun floating around belting guys with that thing, and almost every game people who never saw it before have visible "what the gently caress" moments trying to figure out what kind of gun I actually have. Then they see it sucks poo poo and does no damage and go about their business.

I can only do bronzes and usually come in dead last. V bad at this game. It seems like lately there's usually a couple real high level guys slumming it and that makes it seem worse. I'll be busting rear end dealing with a group of tough guys and hanging on thru grit, then some pro mastery type strolls through the room and I got nothing to do.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That's weird that it would show up as two different names in the kill log but "biotic amp" is just the name of the melee weapon, I think. I would be a little surprised if that counts for the purposes of the shield restore, since Melee attacks and biotic powers seem to be two separate things but :shrug:

This could be a lot clearer lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think of "viable" as being considerably more strict than "possible." I saw a video some years ago of someone soloing platinum using a volus with a shuriken, which is impressive as hell, but does nothing to convince me that the shuriken is a platinum viable weapon. If you have to sink entire magazines into the most basic kind of enemy in the game to get one kill, the fact that it is physically possible to win using the gun doesn't mean for a moment that it's actually fun to do so, or that it isn't putting a vastly greater demand on your skill. Everyone is using melee and sniper rifles not because they are literally the only way to win, but because they are some of the only things in the game that actually kill poo poo in a satisfying length of time. You can pretend nothing's wrong with the absurd number of guns that are currently poo poo, but good loving luck arguing that taking these weapons into gold won't demand way more out of you.

There's videos of teams winning vermintide cataclysm with two grimoires using only white weapons. They show that those teams are incredibly good players with flawless teamwork, but it does not show that white weapons are a viable choice for cataclysm, because those videos are over 30 minutes long and it takes them twice as long to kill anything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I can only do bronzes and usually come in dead last. V bad at this game. It seems like lately there's usually a couple real high level guys slumming it and that makes it seem worse. I'll be busting rear end dealing with a group of tough guys and hanging on thru grit, then some pro mastery type strolls through the room and I got nothing to do.

The way XP works now, especially if you use a Booster, it can be better for leveling up dudes to just do Bronze/Silver. You get over twice as many credits for Gold as Silver though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I guess I'm just going to record myself playing a bunch of Gold matches with pubbies who use awful guns because it happens all the time and it doesn't take "Volus with a Shuriken" levels of time, it still only takes about 20 minutes.

Maybe it's worse/different on PC I guess?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

It's not. Goons are universally bad at video games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If anything PC players have it way easier, do you know how long it takes to do a 180 degree turn on console? I'd kill to be able to use mouse and keyboard on PS4 or at least for them to patch in a "quick-turn" button, I would rather have "Back and dash" do a quickturn than a backwards dash in most cases.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's weird that it would show up as two different names in the kill log but "biotic amp" is just the name of the melee weapon, I think. I would be a little surprised if that counts for the purposes of the shield restore, since Melee attacks and biotic powers seem to be two separate things but :shrug:

This could be a lot clearer lol

In SP a biotic amp is an equippable melee weapon that is just a different flavor than the identical damage omni blade. One makes a blade that cuts, one makes a mass effect field on your fist. I assume the MP one is also equipment rather than an ability that would trigger ability related stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

precision posted:

The way XP works now, especially if you use a Booster, it can be better for leveling up dudes to just do Bronze/Silver. You get over twice as many credits for Gold as Silver though.

Yeah it sucks because every time I use a booster the game crashes, but I also need to level, and I also need a lot of money because the sweeper is not going to be cheap to upgrade.

e:

precision posted:

If anything PC players have it way easier, do you know how long it takes to do a 180 degree turn on console? I'd kill to be able to use mouse and keyboard on PS4 or at least for them to patch in a "quick-turn" button, I would rather have "Back and dash" do a quickturn than a backwards dash in most cases.

In Lost Planet being able to wip around and blast dudes was extremely helpful.
There was gunvalkyrie that came out like 20 years ago for the first xbox that had extremely weird controls, but IIRC once you got used to them it became really intuitive to jetpack around and do poo poo.
In Andromeda I feel like I'm fighting the controls a lot and my back is a huge weak blindspot.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 7, 2017

• Locked thread