Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Cody's the strongest because he could easily beat every one of the main cast but laziness and boredom prevents him from realizing his potential

Well according to lore, Cody's power level comes in second.
The most powerful character in all of Street Fighter is actually Oro.
:goonsay:

If you read some of the UDON comics that star Cody it's pretty funny how insanely powerful he is compared to everyone else, he just couldn't give a single poo poo about anything that doesn't entertain his sadbrains for at least a while.
Like, I remember there was a scene where Cody even scared M. Bison shitless at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
strongest sf character is sean, who was so busted in 2I that they made him garbage tier in 3S

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

We Know Catheters posted:

I made it to bronze 😊

Grats youre better than majority of /r/streetfighter.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Keegers posted:

Grats youre better than majority of /r/streetfighter.

after playing for 6 hours a day, every day for the past year I finally made it to Ultra Bronze! I want to thank my grandma, and the loving support of everyone here on r/streetfighter

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Ken's not lazy, he's worked very hard to make himself strong, and also get married and have a kid
ken's a bougie little bitch who was born into wealth, never had to work for anything in his whole life

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
ken is like manifest destiny: the dude

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

ken is like manifest destiny: the dude

Emphasis on man

Jack Trades posted:

Well according to lore, Cody's power level comes in second.
The most powerful character in all of Street Fighter is actually Oro.
:goonsay:

If you read some of the UDON comics that star Cody it's pretty funny how insanely powerful he is compared to everyone else, he just couldn't give a single poo poo about anything that doesn't entertain his sadbrains for at least a while.
Like, I remember there was a scene where Cody even scared M. Bison shitless at one point.

The only reason Cody even wears his handcuffs is because it limits his power, kind of like how Oro only fights with one arm.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Count Bleck posted:

The only reason Cody even wears his handcuffs is because it limits his power, kind of like how Oro only fights with one arm.

I'm not even sure how the handcuffs affect him, he could rip those chains like paper

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

gief has the biggest muscles, clearly he is the strongest

well hugo may have bigger ones but he has a growth hormone issue or something so that is cheating

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Real hurthling! posted:

Half japanese aryans must be like twice as angry

The Ken in the High Castle

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's weird how many of them are shorter than me though. I guess when I was little I just assumed Ryu was like a 6'6" wall of muscle or something.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

It's weird how many of them are shorter than me though. I guess when I was little I just assumed Ryu was like a 6'6" wall of muscle or something.

Characters in Japanese games are often weirdly short (to me, a 6ft white dude)

Ken being 5'9" is just the weirdest thing to me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Saint Freak posted:

The average height of japanese men is 5'7"
Us is 5'10"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Saint Freak posted:

that's still kind of true, he's just more like a picket fence of muscle

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

darealkooky posted:

strongest sf character is sean, who was so busted in 2I that they made him garbage tier in 3S

Anyone have a video or a rundown of 2I Sean? What was so good?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Elephunk posted:

https://youtu.be/ZczcVByZQcQ?t=588

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Elephunk posted:

target combo into stuff into super does over 50% and its good and hes good and his one normal builds meter twice as fast because its bugged

his confirms are baby mode even for sf3 engine

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
He just had pretty good normals, good meter build, and a really good super that did a ton of damage and took like 5 minutes to learn the multiple easy confirms into it.

He wasn't even the best character in the game, just by far the easiest

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

So, after owning and occasionally playing this game from time to time I think I'm ready to take a deep dive and have a couple of questions:

What's the easiest character to get started with if your execution is garbage. I'm thinking Cammy because she seems basic but good, but honestly that's not really based on anything besides watching streams. I don't really care if the character is technically low tier or top tier, I just want someone whose confirms and B&B combos aren't difficult.

Also, I remember early on the wait times for ranked matches were abysmal. What's the best way to maximize time in this game. Just open up a battle lounge and play the person over and over again?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

FanaticalMilk posted:

So, after owning and occasionally playing this game from time to time I think I'm ready to take a deep dive and have a couple of questions:

What's the easiest character to get started with if your execution is garbage. I'm thinking Cammy because she seems basic but good, but honestly that's not really based on anything besides watching streams. I don't really care if the character is technically low tier or top tier, I just want someone whose confirms and B&B combos aren't difficult.

Also, I remember early on the wait times for ranked matches were abysmal. What's the best way to maximize time in this game. Just open up a battle lounge and play the person over and over again?

The best way to maximize your time with SFV is to play a better game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cammy is very good but execution with her is key because her health is so low. Shes a great character to learn because you will get your poo poo blown up. You need to practice doing instant dive kick though. If you cant do it her dive kick is highly unsafe.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FanaticalMilk posted:

Can't go wrong with the classic Ryu. Also yeah, generally, you'll learn more playing 1 person over and over, especially if you can talk with them about what you're doing right and wrong, then just queuing for Ranked.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

FanaticalMilk posted:

Necalli is a very simple character if you don't mind playing charge characters, Cammy has some weird stuff with her divekicks but her execution is overall easy. Really, most characters in V are "easy" to play, I'd focus more on what type of character you LIKE playing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He's got a fireball, a DP, a cool spinny kick. You gotta love Ryu.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't think there is an 'easy' character to start with per se, just those that might be more familiar because you have played variants of them in other games (like Ryu Shoto stuff). I think almost all of them have some simple bread and butter stuff you can start with and then progress up to more intricate stuff.

My advice would be to just mess around in training mode or with the challenges and see who feels fun to you to play. Despite its overall dumb nature, the campaign is useful at giving you a quick sample of everyone. Or just pick the prettiest girl.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Can't go wrong with the classic Ryu. Also yeah, generally, you'll learn more playing 1 person over and over, especially if you can talk with them about what you're doing right and wrong, then just queuing for Ranked.

Ryu is really unfun until the next patch that will let him link st lk after normals again so he can be semi fun again

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Or just pick the prettiest girl.

I suck at doing Karin's tenko cancels tho.

Also I find Ryu in 4 and 5 slow, boring and ugly. fite me irl

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
I really like Karin (as much as I can like anything in this game after playing Revelator) but I have no idea how to use her properly. I can kind of see what she's got going on, but is there any specific advice for a scrub who wants to learn her?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Get good at confirming stuff into the perfect tenkos. Karin was who I tried to learn and she's pretty cool. Her st.MK is a nice move for scaring people.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Watch someone like justin wong or whoever and do what they do.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I tried playing Karin and the perfect tenko crap was needlessly hard to do

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't think it was too bad, there's a rhythm to the inputs that you can practice.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dias posted:

Also I find Ryu in 5 ugly. fite me irl

Hot Ryu is a mountain man dreamboat though

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
Wait, gently caress, Kolin. I meant Kolin.

God dammit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

teagone posted:

Hot Ryu is a mountain man dreamboat though

All that picture does is remind me of the best stage in Tekken of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbM-BKvcQvc

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

FanaticalMilk posted:

What's the easiest character to get started with if your execution is garbage.

This seems to be a common sentiment with people in all different fighting games, and I think it's a self-defeating mindset. Execution is a learnable skill and if you're new to a game you're going to have to learn its core systems and fundamentals anyways so you might as well pick the character you like the best and learn them too, whether or not they're "hard" if you stick with it you'll be surprised at what you can learn to do.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fridurmus posted:

Wait, gently caress, Kolin. I meant Kolin.

God dammit.

Resident SF goon jmcrofts did a quick guide on Kolin that's helpful to get started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xNeGnvL-oY

VesperArcade also has a bunch of good videos on her that go a bit more in-depth. See HERE.

I'm by no means good, but I've had fun with her playing locally with friends. Standing.lk is a good poke, and can be cancelled into lp.parabellum to spam it (Vesper covers that in one of his videos). St.hp is ok too I guess. You can combo st.hp with st.lk xx lp/EX parabellum. I see a lot of pro players using cr.mp, st.mp, and cr.mk a fair bit as well. Cr.mk can't be cancelled into anything though, but it's got decent range and is low profile.

I use her lp, mp, hp target combo a lot to confirm into specials, i.e., cr.lp, target combo xx EX parabellum. The follow ups to EX parabellum are fun; beside the air throw, I like doing mk vanity step into sweep cancelled into lp hailstorm first saw jwong do this against quick rise. If I have the meter, another follow up to EX parabellum I like is EX hailstorm and juggling after the second hail hit with silver edge (lk vanity step -> lp) for more damage.

I also try to use her v-skill a lot to build v-meter as jmcrofts points out in his video that her v-trigger is pretty great. I do that mostly trying to land a st.mk, st.hp, v-skill. I think you can combo cr.mp, st.mk, st.hp, v-skill. If I get a good hk jump in, I can do something like j.hk, st.hk, st.mk, st.hp, v-skill. Or if I get a st.hk crush counter, I'll dash forward and go into st.mk, st.hp, v-skill (got that from one of Kolin's trials).

But yeah, the videos I linked above are good Kolin resources :)

[edit] Also watch matches where Justin Wong or Chris G use Kolin.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 9, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

In Training posted:

Get good at confirming stuff into the perfect tenkos. Karin was who I tried to learn and she's pretty cool. Her st.MK is a nice move for scaring people.

Won't be so scary once gief gets his counter :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Medullah posted:

All that picture does is remind me of the best stage in Tekken of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbM-BKvcQvc

This stage is coming back in 7, right?