Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
I'll be coming to Taiwan in about a month to teach English. I have a few interviews lined up, but they need to see me teach in person before hiring me (I have a teaching degree and certification, and applied to a bunch of private elementary and high schools). This seems to be pretty common, but the upshot is I'll need to go there as a tourist before getting my work permit/ARC.

My question is, which visa do I go on? I'm from Canada, and qualify for 90-day visa exempt status. I've heard conflicting things; some sites say that you can go over without a visa and then do everything while there to get a work permit, other sites say you need the visitor's visa in order to get the work visa and permit. Should I do everything here first, or just go and do it there? Would it look weird if I get a tourism visa for 60 days when I could just go without one for 90? Wouldn't that look suspicious?

My other question is, on the visa application it asks what my occupation is. I graduated a few months ago and am currently not working (obviously, since I'm going to Taiwan to teach). I don't want to say unemployed on the form because they might get suspicious, but if I lie and say student, will they check? I'm... not super comfortable lying on a government form.

Anyways, thanks for your help.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Get a landing visa, get a job, do all the paper work.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

With a landing visa, would I have to do a visa run to get all the necessary paperwork for a working permit, or can everything be done in country?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Everything can be done in the country now as long as there's enough time left on your landing visa.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, idk if it's different for Canadians but as an American I landed and did the paperwork without a visa run, no problem

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah, idk if it's different for Canadians but as an American I landed and did the paperwork without a visa run, no problem

It is the same

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Hmm. Well the woman doing the interviews said that I should get a visitor visa, not a landing one, since that can't be processed. I'm worried that if I go with just a landing visa, they'll think I can't follow directions or something.

Honestly, I'd feel more comfortable with a landing visa, but I don't want to be seen as difficult.

Thank you for the advice, though, that is a huge help!

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I think the landing permission still technically cannot be processed into a residency visa. The difference is before you couldn't get a visitor's visa once in the country. Now you can go from Landing Permission -> Visitor Visa -> Residency Visa all without leaving the beautiful, rainy island known as Formosa, hence negating the need for a visa run or whatever.

Full disclosure: I moved here a zillion years ago and haven't really kept up with anything about the process of visas/etc. after finally getting my APRC three years ago so uhh... take anything I say with a grain of salt :)

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Starmaker posted:

Hmm. Well the woman doing the interviews said that I should get a visitor visa, not a landing one, since that can't be processed. I'm worried that if I go with just a landing visa, they'll think I can't follow directions or something.

Honestly, I'd feel more comfortable with a landing visa, but I don't want to be seen as difficult.

Thank you for the advice, though, that is a huge help!

There's a non-zero chance that whatever school you're applying to hasn't changed their SOP since it was still a trip to Hong Kong if you got a landing visa instead of a tourist visa.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah yeah, part of the process for me (a little over a year ago) was converting my landing visa to a visitor's visa.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So if you're not in country yet and you have the time, just get the visitor visa first and then everything is dandy.

Then you can go on Facebook and make a big stink about how you went to the Taiwanese Office of Economic Superpals and not a real embassy and by god it's time we recognized them as an independent state already.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The Economic Superpals was Paul Ryan's favorite cartoon when he was a kid.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I don't remember having to change over from landing to visitor's visa, but I also didn't have to do any of the paperwork, so...

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Still in a conceptual stage, but if I were to move myself, my wife, and dog to Taiwan - how do you bring your dog to another country? I've done some research and there is a good amount of paperwork and things to do for the dog. But my concern is the flight. My understanding is they stay sedated in the cargo hold, maybe a special section for dogs.

tl;dr: How do I bring my dog to Taiwan to live with us?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

yamdankee posted:

Still in a conceptual stage, but if I were to move myself, my wife, and dog to Taiwan - how do you bring your dog to another country? I've done some research and there is a good amount of paperwork and things to do for the dog. But my concern is the flight. My understanding is they stay sedated in the cargo hold, maybe a special section for dogs.

tl;dr: How do I bring my dog to Taiwan to live with us?

I took my dog from Taiwan to the US and while he certainly wasn't comfortable, he made it in one piece. The poor guy had to pee in his kennel which he had never done before (he had pee pads though) and we affixed some water hanging from the outside like in a gerbil cage, and he had a food tray too. As soon as he got out he was super thirsty and pooped immediately, but he's also been at home and not gone out to poop for 12-13 hours at a time before (very occasionally, only in emergencies) so it wasn't something entirely new in that regard either. Trans-Pacific flights are of course all long, but it might be worth specifically looking into something shorter like the SFO-NRT leg to shave an hour or so off the time because every bit can count for your special friend.

If you have a bulldog or something snubnosed, most airlines will straight up refuse to fly it because apparently their breathing problems are compounded by the low air pressure and it's a huge liability and they die easily or something?

If your dog is small enough, ~10lbs or lower, some airlines will let you take it as a carryon but still for a large fee, I know Delta is one.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Hey y'all.

I was really impressed by the food map that the Korea thread maintains and I think it would be really cool if we could have something similar.

I've started one for Taiwan here. Anyone should be able to edit it so try adding your favorite spots. Feel free to share it with anyone who might be interested. So far we've just got Tainan and Chiayi covered so it needs a lot of work. Hopefully it might be worth putting in the OP someday.

FART BOSS fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 6, 2017

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Put in a couple places for the Taipei layer. Doing so reminded me that, while I don't know about Korea, it would almost be easier to mark the places in Taipei that AREN'T food.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm considering coming back to Taiwan to do TESOL work for real. How much has changed since 2014?

I have an ex-study abroad-alum friend who wants to interview me for TESOL work in mainland China, but I think I'd prefer Taiwan or Japan. I really loved being in Taiwan last time I visited, though, and I miss it a lot. Thoughts?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 6, 2017

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Go to Korea if you want to make a lot of money but be treated like a slave.
Go to Japan if you want to make some money but be treated like an invader.
Go to Taiwan if you want people to actually be happy that you are there.
Go to China if you want to breath soup every day.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Arguably there's more room and opportunities to move into a better career in Japan, if that's what you're looking for.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
What's the career path in Japan?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I started adding places in KHH.

Cthulhu-riffic
Jan 27, 2009

Encouraging zombie-ism in children since 2009.
Added more in Taipei I can vouch for.

Regarding Japan, I don't know of many people that have been able to stick it out there long term because anti-foreigner sentiments are pretty rampant. Would be interested in hearing otherwise, though, and about potential career paths.

The job market in Taiwan seems to have slumped a bit since 2014, but I still see ads for positions all the time. Not sure how many hours they're offering though. You'd still be better off here than in China.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Cthulhu-riffic posted:

Regarding Japan, I don't know of many people that have been able to stick it out there long term because anti-foreigner sentiments are pretty rampant. Would be interested in hearing otherwise, though, and about potential career paths.

Utter horseshit. There's some typical ignorance you get from people who have literally never left the country but very very little in the way of outright anti-foreigner sentiment.

Usually the complaints you hear are just English teachers who cycle in for a year or two complaining about not suddenly being best buds with their co-workers; which is hardly a surprise considering there's often a language barrier, and people have their own lives, which they don't want to commit to building a relationship with someone they know will be gone soon.

This combined with the fact that Japan is still an economic powerhouse and first world country. People don't need your money, and don't need to worship at the feet of white people. Dumbasses come here from abroad and see it doesn't match with the mystical oriental fantasy land they thought, and act like pissy children.

Any town in Japan is no more anti-foreigner than any similarly sized town in North America or Europe would be to any non-majority person.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey man when are you moving out to Singapore?

Good post by the way but it's not always English teachers. Just migrant life.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

caberham posted:

Hey man when are you moving out to Singapore?

Good post by the way but it's not always English teachers. Just migrant life.

Nothing is confirmed and it's like a year out if I do.

And yeah, hence I say "usually".

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Any town in Japan is no more anti-foreigner than any similarly sized town in North America or Europe would be to any non-majority person.

Unreasonably and outlandishly so, then?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

Unreasonably and outlandishly so, then?

Indeed; the point being you should expect no better where you go unless you expect people to worship the very ground you tread upon, given your whiteness. In which case gently caress you.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm considering coming back to Taiwan to do TESOL work for real. How much has changed since 2014?

I have an ex-study abroad-alum friend who wants to interview me for TESOL work in mainland China, but I think I'd prefer Taiwan or Japan. I really loved being in Taiwan last time I visited, though, and I miss it a lot. Thoughts?

Moon Slayer was right on the money. After living 6 years in Korea I came to Taiwan on a 6-day trip. By the end of the second day, I decided I wanted to live here. I'm two years in now.

The best analogy is that living in Taipei is like living in Chinatown in New York or San Francisco. All the comforts of western culture are not far away. There are some strange quirks of Chinese culture, but they take a lot longer to become apparent and don't result in kinds of clashes you'll have elsewhere.

I would post a 1000 word Taiwan vs. South Korea compare and contrast essay, but it'd probably piss off goons, Koreans, and Taiwanese. Anywhere you go can suck, so can you tell us more about what you're looking to get out of your time in Asia?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Taiwan and Korea, both are fake Japan

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

caberham posted:

Taiwan and Korea, both are fake Japan

I've heard that before, actually, another guy called Taiwan "B-league Japan"

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pirate Radar posted:

I've heard that before, actually, another guy called Taiwan "B-league Japan"

i could see taiwan as japan minus like 5-10 years

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I've always thought of it more as "Japan's Mexico."

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I thought the more recent trend was Taiwan getting into Korean pop-culture. So Taiwan is "Good China/B-List Japan/Fake Korea"?

Moon Slayer posted:

I've always thought of it more as "Japan's Mexico."

But that would make Korea Japan's Canada, which doesn't check out when Taiwan is Asia's Canada.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Probably because pretty much any town in Japan is more uniformly Japanese/Asian than pretty much every comparable city in the US is uniformly anything (and it has rules disallowing that ever changing). No need to be anymore xenophobic when the game is over before it's started.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 9, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

politicorific posted:

I would post a 1000 word Taiwan vs. South Korea compare and contrast essay, but it'd probably piss off goons, Koreans, and Taiwanese. Anywhere you go can suck, so can you tell us more about what you're looking to get out of your time in Asia?

Please post your essay in the GBS China thread. That's legitimately the most appropriate place for it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah alot of the action I would post here I've mostly just moved to there.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

lookit all these pussies who can't handle kaoliang

shameful

e:

That's because we don't have as many British alcoholics.

When was down in the mountains area on a road trip I drank with some locals who were pissing it up on kaoliang. I introduced them to Bundy Rum and they screwed up their faces a much as I did on their acrid rice liquor.
Then I introduced then to Bundy and coke.
There is no saving grace for kaoliang. You just gotta get used to it.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I miss Taiwan

Its high time I returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kommando posted:

There is no saving grace for kaoliang. You just gotta get used to it.

Nah, there is in fact good kaoliang, it's just not most of it