Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

VERTiG0 posted:

Maybe I'm an elitist snob but unless you can get that thing to 700+ degrees it's not a grill. It's a hot smoker. Searing a steak at 500 degrees in a pellet pooper sucks. There's no proper sear.

Still a hell of a lot better than the 275 maximum the MES goes to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah but when you're reverse searing a giant tomahawk ribeye it helps to have a raging hot fire for the end of it.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Just get a weber kettle for $10 at a garage sale or off Craigslist for grilling.

Now you can smoke and grill at the same time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

my turn in the barrel posted:

Just get a weber kettle for $10 at a garage sale or off Craigslist for grilling.

Now you can smoke and grill at the same time.

Umm...

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
lol if you're too poor to afford an apartment with a backyard or 20' balcony.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
At the sams club by me they actually lump the plate ribs in the pack with the other short ribs. It's like 4 crosscut slabs shrink wrapped together. They don't sell them separately.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Ranter posted:

lol if you're too poor to afford an apartment with a backyard or 20' balcony.

I though we were talking about searing with pellet smokers. Depending on your rules you could possibly use a Jumbo Joe in the parking lot or common area?

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-1211001-Jumbo-18-Inch-Portable/dp/B0098HR0RC

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 31, 2017

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

VERTiG0 posted:

Maybe I'm an elitist snob but unless you can get that thing to 700+ degrees it's not a grill. It's a hot smoker. Searing a steak at 500 degrees in a pellet pooper sucks. There's no proper sear.

I would add many gas grills to the above. I have yet to own one that could do a decent sear.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Fog Tripper posted:

I would add many gas grills to the above. I have yet to own one that could do a decent sear.

gently caress. Guess that rules out the community grill in my building too. Although if I wanted to sear something bad enough I could probably just use my cast-iron grill pan for that.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Fog Tripper posted:

I still use my Weber kettle at home, but I got my dad one of these and it's actually pretty great. I've registered above 850 on it before.The first time I used it, I assumed it would be about the same heat as every other gas grill I had ever used. I walked away for about 90 seconds and the steak I put on had turned into a fireball.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I posted about it way back in this thread but just click posts by this user and you'll find my feedback on weber genesis gas grills. The old horizontal burner ones can be had cheap and get very hot. All the parts are easy to find and the bodies carry a 25year warranty.

Edit: here is one of them
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post458863187
I tested it and it was 700f something in 8 minutes.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 1, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Fog Tripper posted:

Meanwhile any charcoal grill will basically self destruct in a molten mass with enough air going into it. Take an egg smoker past 1" inlet and it will hit 700 without a hesitation.

The pastrami pics were nice. Got a brisket leftover, might use it for pastrami.

And no matter how much you brine or prepare, a few shakes of salt after you take it out of the smoker is fine.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you're looking for a sear and don't have a grill or whatever why not just get a searzall?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Meanwhile any charcoal grill will basically self destruct in a molten mass with enough air going into it. Take an egg smoker past 1" inlet and it will hit 700 without a hesitation

My Broil King Keg will 800 easily if I have it cleaned out well, and no ceramic to crack.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I smoked up some duroc pork yesterday, it was loving delicious. The fat cap cracked a little bit and the mop got a little toasty, but it didn't seem to impact the flavor at all. Duroc is amazing, track some down if you've never had it!

Some pics and small details:
https://imgur.com/a/Zz0EU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That happens to the bark because the heat shrivels it more than the fat under it. Ees normal

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Wrong drat thread! Awful app :argh:

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 4, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Melissa had the best line of the episode, well it wasn't so much a line but the smirk she gave when they saw it was cigarettes that Tandy was giving to jasper.

Plus carol telling gayle she will watch her like a hog, then oinking for emphasis.

Hey maybe wrong thread I don't know

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm honestly not sure...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yep. Mock me openly for my shame has been quoted for all to see :banjo:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Well he did mention 'hog' so maybe it is the right thread.

Somewhat Heroic: I like that show too :)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

drat, reading this thread is making me really want to smoke something. I can't decide between doing Memphis-style dry-rubbed beef ribs or barbecued chicken halves. Both involve mop sauce, and the latter would require modifying the recipe in my cookbook and opening the MES a bunch of times to apply the mop sauce.

Also I reeeally loving want that Traegar grill but I won't be able to afford it for a loooong time but I want it now and it HUUUUUUUURTS!! :cry:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

drat, reading this thread is making me really want to smoke something. I can't decide between doing Memphis-style dry-rubbed beef ribs or barbecued chicken halves. Both involve mop sauce, and the latter would require modifying the recipe in my cookbook and opening the MES a bunch of times to apply the mop sauce.

Also I reeeally loving want that Traegar grill but I won't be able to afford it for a loooong time but I want it now and it HUUUUUUUURTS!! :cry:

Yes...yes it does.

In the mean time, smoke something with what you got. I'm thinking of tossing on a pork butt (non frozen, safe handling practices) Sunday since the weather looks decent.

And while that is smoking I'll toss in some brats for lunch.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes...yes it does.

In the mean time, smoke something with what you got. I'm thinking of tossing on a pork butt (non frozen, safe handling practices) Sunday since the weather looks decent.

And while that is smoking I'll toss in some brats for lunch.

toss a roll of spicy breakfast sausage on there too. so good!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Hey I wanna try out some beef ribs, that's a highly unusual cut but I am lucky enough to live near a butchers shop so I can order it. But uh, how much should I get? I mean it's order per kg and I dunno if I in beef ribs the bone stands for a lot of useless mass or not, so what's a decent sized batch for a single cook (weber 18.5" in this case)?

Also interesting in making my own bacon after the pastrami project, but I dunno if it's possible to cold smoke the bacon properly on a weber.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
American bacon is hot smoked.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Hot smoked, so you can definitely do it on the Weber, just don't take it past about 150f.

Re: Beef ribs, it actually completely depends on how your butcher is prepping them for you, and you should ask. Some places already cut off a ton of the meat, leaving you with only the meat between the bones themselves, like this:

In which case, you definitely want to order more (or none at all, because these end up being pretty dry and terrible)

Or they can be cut like this, with a ton of meat left on:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sounds like a yes to the beef ribs, then. I might throw on some corn cobs with garlic butter too, since the grocery stores near me just started stocking fresh corn. That is, assuming I don't have to open the smoker too much to apply the butter.

EDIT: Scratch the corn idea. Cookbook says I have to direct-grill corn. But I CAN smoke a whole stuffed cabbage filled with bacon, onions, and barbecue sauce, or possibly some bell peppers stuffed with the same mixture.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 5, 2017

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well it's thin cut ribs the butcher says and they're like 6 bucks per lbs. Dunno then really... I had gotten into my head the price was half that...

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Doom Rooster posted:

Or they can be cut like this, with a ton of meat left on:

oh sweet jesus

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I have a 5lb boneless leg of lamb that I'm going to do this Sunday. Has anyone smoked one of these before? I'm going to unroll it and ensure that musk gland has been removed otherwise people will tell me the meat tastes like farts.

I'm thinking of rubbing it with Meat Church Holy Cow and throwing it into my Weber Performer with some lump charcoal since it should be a fairly short cook. Any thoughts?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Good yogurt sauce and flatbread to go with it is my only thought.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Rejoice Midwest goons, 88¢ lb bone in pork shoulders at Kroger!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

If :canada: goons are waffling on a smoker for the new season , amazon has a sale on the MES 30" for $249.

https://www.amazon.ca/Masterbuilt-20078715-Electric-Digital-Controller/dp/B00SKO7C18

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

This is real mystic and all, but uh, do you have anything to eat here?

VERTiG0 posted:

I have a 5lb boneless leg of lamb that I'm going to do this Sunday. Has anyone smoked one of these before? I'm going to unroll it and ensure that musk gland has been removed otherwise people will tell me the meat tastes like farts.

I'm thinking of rubbing it with Meat Church Holy Cow and throwing it into my Weber Performer with some lump charcoal since it should be a fairly short cook. Any thoughts?

I smoked a boneless leg of lamb during a cookout I had last Sunday, and it was BY FAR AND AWAY the best lamb I've ever had. I used PBC Beef & Game rub, which worked perfectly with lamb. (PBC owner claims he made that rub for lamb, and I'm not surprised)

It pretty much melts in your mouth. So amazing.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

BritishRacingGreen posted:

I smoked a boneless leg of lamb during a cookout I had last Sunday, and it was BY FAR AND AWAY the best lamb I've ever had. I used PBC Beef & Game rub, which worked perfectly with lamb. (PBC owner claims he made that rub for lamb, and I'm not surprised)

It pretty much melts in your mouth. So amazing.

What temp did you cook it and at what internal temp did you pull it off?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I don't have a dedicated smoker, just a Stok charcoal grill with cast iron grates that I do my best in. Baby back ribs 6 hours at 200-250 indirect cook with pecan chips smoking and the wood chip water in the drip pan. Basted with Dr. Pepper and seasonings every 45 minutes. Delicious.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Picked up a whole brisket at the butcher today to do on the PBC for a family barbecue on Sunday.

I've read & watched a couple of PBC recipes & videos, so I think I'm set, but any suggestions on rub composition would be appreciated. Also any general advice on a piece of meat this serious.

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 7, 2017

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I don't own a pbc but i think they run a bit higher than normal brisket temps.

There is a hot and fast method of cooking brisket that should be worth a look.

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/hot-fast-brisket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Veritek83 posted:

any suggestions on rub composition would be appreciated. Also any general advice on a piece of meat this serious.

1Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Pepper
1Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Pepper
1Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Pepper
1Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Pepper
1Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Pepper

That should do it for a brisket that size. Seriously, every good brisket place in Central Texas just uses salt, pepper and oak. I used to use a lower sugar version of magic dust, and then spent years tailoring it bit by bit, then the first time I did just a ton of salt and pepper, it was so much better than anything I had done previously.