Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

scuz posted:

invade Syria and split the oil 50/50.

Wasn't that like literally the back door justification for Iraq War 2: IED Boogaloo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

beep-beep car is go posted:

Wasn't that like literally the back door justification for Iraq War 2: IED Boogaloo?
Yeah, except we didn't get any oil and lit the fuse for what would eventually become ISIS/ISIL/Daesh, so yeah, it was a great plan that went well! :downsbravo:

America's a clown-car-on-fire at this point but we'll see if it gets any better after midterms.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

On that bombshell... I'm going to see Daniel Tosh's standup show on the Ohio State campus next week... on 4/20. That place is going to be an enormous loving hotbox.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

beep-beep car is go posted:

I always heard that it wasn't to secure oil for us in the US, but to destabilize it for everyone else, including China. I don't know anything about it in actuality mind, but it made sense in that regard because we actually produce lots of oil ourselves.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Vice did an article on FYAD. I don't know if that's worse for Vice or FYAD.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
It's a fun trip down memory lane for everyone who remembers those piracy forums and Fiesta Cat.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Powershift posted:

The Canadian government has at least admitted there's a crisis coming with automation, and coming very quickly, but it's like the captain of a ship seeing an iceberg coming and saying "well, somebody should do something about that". THAT'S YOU you dumb motherfuckers, you're steering the ship. Retraining loans aren't going to train 10 hammer swinging monkeys to fill 1 button pusher position.
The solution is definitely to double the cost of each burger flipper. That'll fix it!

Looking at you $15/hr minimum wage.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ilkhan posted:

The solution is definitely to double the cost of each burger flipper. That'll fix it!

This post is further proof that you don't know anything about how economics work

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
he's an unironic bootstrapper

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Every story I've seen from real life burger restaurants that experiment with raising pay to $15/hr has resulted in improved customer experience, increased employee satisfaction, better retention/less turnover, and overall increased profits (not just net revenue) compared to paying current federal minimum.

But hey, if people don't have to suffer in order to survive, it doesn't build ~~character~~.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Listen here u drat kid/minority back in my day I made $5/hr and it was good enough for me *forgets that all his needs were fulfilled by parents and he spent that money on weed, a guitar, and WoW*

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I got in to a big minimum wage argument with a friend of mine who started at the bottom and is now CEO/Owner of a small janitorial company after 25 years. He was bitching really hard about minimum wage going up, so I opened an excel spreadsheet. I ran the numbers of minimum wage vs consumer price index since 1970 and I learned something interesting. Historically, minimum wage stagnates behind the CPI and ends up needing a huge correction every 5-10 years. Guess what time it is now?

So in the end I won him over by asking "You say your employees should work as hard as you did, but should they do it for less pay than you made?" And he actually came around and admitted that if I was right, then he was wrong and would stop bitching about minimum wage hikes.

It still sucks for him because his entire business model is based on part time minimum wage employees, so every time minimum wage goes up he has to raise prices and he always loses a customer or two when that happens.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 7, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If your company's success is hinged on whether or not you can fully exploit your workforce to the maximum extent of legality and decent morality be damned, perhaps you're not that great a job creator after all.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ether Frenzy posted:

If your company's success is hinged on whether or not you can fully exploit your workforce to the maximum extent of legality and decent morality be damned, perhaps you're not that great a job creator after all.

Woah woah woah I don't​ want capitalism I want special capitalism where the rules of market correction don't apply to me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

KakerMix posted:

The swift destruction of the transportation industry's employees is going to be harsh if it plays out like we all fear it will.

I don't fear poo poo.

The Luddite and NIMBY crowd are going to get automated vehicles that don't run on rails banned before they ever see widespread use in shipping. First time some automated freight hauler turns the idiot who brake-checked it into a corpse it'll be the end of them.

If you think there's any chance of that not happening, go talk to a few truckers or hit up youtube for some sweet dash cam footage of how idiots drive around rigs. It'd be cheaper, from a liability standpoint alone, to completely rebuild the national rail networks than win that legal fight.

ilkhan posted:

Gonna say the same thing that I always do : Labor is not free. It costs a amount of money (the living wage) to sustain a worker and allow them to provide the labor. If you can't afford the labor, then your business is unsustainable and you need to GTFO the market.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 7, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I work on super secret stuff and contrary to what Silicon Valley says we are at least 35 years away from fully autonomous cars and that's counting if we rebuild our entire infrastructure (we won't)

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
The bathroom remodel thread is great.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What you're seeing here more and more now is the point-of-sales staff in McDonalds and the like being thinned out in favour of automatic self-service ordering touchscreens, so where you had, say, 4 till servers, they now have one till server and 1 "handover" person at the collection point. People do come out with some poo poo relating to minimum wage etc, but the argument that a large increase in it only benefits those employees who are still left has a certain amount of truth to it.

Then you have things like zero-hour and part-time contracts and a dozen different ways to sidestep paying people certain benefits etc, and while the basic idea is a noble one - to have people in any job earning an actual living worthy of the term - there's going to be an awful lot of chasing down unintended loopholes etc that float to the surface as businesses try to optimise to suit whatever the rules are.

Plus you have the USA's inane thing with paying people in service sectors poo poo and expecting their income to be made up by tips, which is an absurd way of doing things, but seems quite well dug-in at this point.

The only bit that bugs me with minimum wage stuff is politicians acting smug about "doing" something. No, you told businesses to pay people more money, and then you get to take a slice of the increase in tax revenue. You've "done" sweet gently caress all yourself.

Bathroom chat: Can someone explain those "engineered beams" to me? It honestly looks like a wood RSJ made out of a sheet of OSB and some timber. I don't think I've ever seen that in a UK house.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I work on super secret stuff and contrary to what Silicon Valley says we are at least 35 years away from fully autonomous cars and that's counting if we rebuild our entire infrastructure (we won't)

35 years sounds very wrong considering the rate of technology.

Think of where we were 35 years ago. watching tron and waiting in line for the commodore 64.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

What you're seeing here more and more now is the point-of-sales staff in McDonalds and the like being thinned out in favour of automatic self-service ordering touchscreens, so where you had, say, 4 till servers, they now have one till server and 1 "handover" person at the collection point. People do come out with some poo poo relating to minimum wage etc, but the argument that a large increase in it only benefits those employees who are still left has a certain amount of truth to it.

Then you have things like zero-hour and part-time contracts and a dozen different ways to sidestep paying people certain benefits etc, and while the basic idea is a noble one - to have people in any job earning an actual living worthy of the term - there's going to be an awful lot of chasing down unintended loopholes etc that float to the surface as businesses try to optimise to suit whatever the rules are.

Plus you have the USA's inane thing with paying people in service sectors poo poo and expecting their income to be made up by tips, which is an absurd way of doing things, but seems quite well dug-in at this point.

The only bit that bugs me with minimum wage stuff is politicians acting smug about "doing" something. No, you told businesses to pay people more money, and then you get to take a slice of the increase in tax revenue. You've "done" sweet gently caress all yourself.

Bathroom chat: Can someone explain those "engineered beams" to me? It honestly looks like a wood RSJ made out of a sheet of OSB and some timber. I don't think I've ever seen that in a UK house.

I've actually been seeing a sharp decrease in self-serve checkouts here. Small city, so the crowds here aren't usually huge, but people hate the self checkouts and most places decided it was cheaper to keep someone running a register than to have to keep maintaining the fragile things and hurting customer goodwill at the same time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"let me pay full time employees half of what they need to survive or i'll fire everybody" is a really lovely form of blackmail.

That's basically what they've used to keep wages stagnant.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

"let me pay full time employees half of what they need to survive or i'll fire everybody" is a really lovely form of blackmail.

That's basically what they've used to keep wages stagnant.

It's Walmart's whole business model in places like California with high costs of living.

"Let us put our staff on public assistance or we'll close all our stores."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Liquid Communism is right, we should band together and burn down all the walmarts.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Liquid Communism posted:

I've actually been seeing a sharp decrease in self-serve checkouts here. Small city, so the crowds here aren't usually huge, but people hate the self checkouts and most places decided it was cheaper to keep someone running a register than to have to keep maintaining the fragile things and hurting customer goodwill at the same time.
Interesting. They're very well established at supermarkets here, and while they can be annoying as gently caress when they have a hissy fit about item weight etc, they're very convenient and people do use them a lot if they have only a few items. It's the touchscreen ordering/POS stuff in fast food restaurants that's newer, though I've seen it in other countries long before.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

35 years sounds very wrong considering the rate of technology.

Think of where we were 35 years ago. watching tron and waiting in line for the commodore 64.

Consider the number of people that are in America with cars and the pace at which America is willing to upgrade infrastructure, then look at all the people who have very cheap cars and no way to afford a newer car which means there would have to be another Cash 4 Clunkers 2: Automatic Boogaloo

Obviously the parts will get cheaper but people will still refuse to switch for reasons

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

It's exactly that. My house has these instead which are pretty loving stiff and light as hell. Easy as piss to run cables and pipes through them as well, obviously.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
FUCKKKKKKKK I missed out on a sweet vise today :(

Free. Neighbor claimed it before me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Consider the number of people that are in America with cars and the pace at which America is willing to upgrade infrastructure, then look at all the people who have very cheap cars and no way to afford a newer car which means there would have to be another Cash 4 Clunkers 2: Automatic Boogaloo

Obviously the parts will get cheaper but people will still refuse to switch for reasons

I discussed this at length in the EV thread, you're thinking too small, and thinking too traditionally.

When you're leaving from the same place and going to roughly the same place at the same time as 10 other people, you don't need your own car to pick up you drive you to wherever, and then drive hom to sit in your driveway. Ridesharing without a driver's wage and computer aided human logisitics should allow somebody to make near-instant point to point communal transportation cheaper than owning a car. Like you plug in the time you have to go to work and so does a bunch of people around you, and the vehicle network produces a short route for a ~10 passenger vehicle to collect people from your area and drop them in the same general area that they need to go.

It's not a coincidence that all the cars stuck in 2 hour traffic jams at rush hour are all traveling in the same direction. What's really preventing the consolidation of passengers into fewer vehicles to alleviate traffic is the requirement that somebody owns and drives the vehicle creating difficult questions of cost splitting, responsibility, and liability. Once it's a phone app in a commercial, automated vehicle, and cheaper than car ownership, people will migrate.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Our company that couldn't be assed to reprogram our system to change the colour of font on word docs so for about 8 months we had to all do it manually. I'm highly skeptical about this coming wave of automation, companies are just going to get cold feet about the upfront initial investment.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

I discussed this at length in the EV thread, you're thinking too small, and thinking too traditionally.

When you're leaving from the same place and going to roughly the same place at the same time as 10 other people, you don't need your own car to pick up you drive you to wherever, and then drive hom to sit in your driveway. Ridesharing without a driver's wage and computer aided human logisitics should allow somebody to make near-instant point to point communal transportation cheaper than owning a car. Like you plug in the time you have to go to work and so does a bunch of people around you, and the vehicle network produces a short route for a ~10 passenger vehicle to collect people from your area and drop them in the same general area that they need to go.

It's not a coincidence that all the cars stuck in 2 hour traffic jams at rush hour are all traveling in the same direction. What's really preventing the consolidation of passengers into fewer vehicles to alleviate traffic is the requirement that somebody owns and drives the vehicle creating difficult questions of cost splitting, responsibility, and liability. Once it's a phone app in a commercial, automated vehicle, and cheaper than car ownership, people will migrate.

Oh yeah Mass Transit will hopefully get huge because of automation but I was speaking primarily about individual automobiles and the car culture that Americans have and perpetuate since so many Americans buy into the "you aren't a real man until you have a car" etc

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's exactly that. My house has these instead which are pretty loving stiff and light as hell. Easy as piss to run cables and pipes through them as well, obviously.

Hmm, ok, I can imagine that in a loft, but between floors I guess I just expect to see old fashioned solid joists. I assume the more involved fabrication pays for itself in material savings etc.

So if your house is using Lotus-style lightweight construction, do you have the dodgy electrics to go with it? :britain:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Our company that couldn't be assed to reprogram our system to change the colour of font on word docs so for about 8 months we had to all do it manually. I'm highly skeptical about this coming wave of automation, companies are just going to get cold feet about the upfront initial investment.

Kodak and Polaroid couldn't be assed to put effort into digital cameras

Oh yeah Mass Transit will hopefully get huge because of automation but I was speaking primarily about individual automobiles and the car culture that Americans have and perpetuate since so many Americans buy into the "you aren't a real man until you have a car" etc

It's happening quickly and smoothly right before your eyes. look at uber and lyft.

Stage 1: you own your car because that's what amurica is
Stage 2: It's cheaper to use uber for the 30 times a month you need a ride than it is to own/maintain a car
Stage 3: uberpool lets me share the cost of getting a ride in somebody else's car
Stage 4: uberpool picks me and some other people up in a company owned automated shuttle

Yeah, you'll still have dinkus in his miata splitting lanes, but he'll pay out the rear end for the right to do so, and any failure to do so perfectly on his part will lose him that right. "but i have to get to work" is used by drunk drivers everywhere to keep their license after their third DUI, when there's a cheap alternative, that excuse is gone, and the "need" to be allowed to turn your own steering wheel and punch your own pedals is gone.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Not to mention the continued existence of the 75% of the country that isn't densely built up urban areas. :v:

Powershift posted:

Kodak and Polaroid couldn't be assed to put effort into digital cameras

It's happening quickly and smoothly right before your eyes. look at uber and lyft.

Stage 1: you own your car because that's what amurica is
Stage 2: It's cheaper to use uber for the 30 times a month you need a ride than it is to own/maintain a car
Stage 3: uberpool lets me share the cost of getting a ride in somebody else's car
Stage 4: uberpool picks me and some other people up in a company owned automated shuttle

Yeah, you'll still have dinkus in his miata splitting lanes, but he'll pay out the rear end for the right to do so, and any failure to do so perfectly on his part will lose him that right. "but i have to get to work" is used by drunk drivers everywhere to keep their license after their third DUI, when there's a cheap alternative, that excuse is gone, and the "need" to be allowed to turn your own steering wheel and punch your own pedals is gone.

Uber doesn't mean poo poo. They are only 'cheaper' than owning your own car because they are dodging taxi regulations, putting the entire cost of their fleet and maintenance on the drivers, and forcing down ride prices with investor funding.

They aren't a solution for poo poo except the SCOTUS case that'll be along in a couple years to more firmly define the difference between employees and contractors.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Not to mention the continued existence of the 75% of the country that isn't densely built up urban areas. :v:

Uber doesn't mean poo poo. They are only 'cheaper' than owning your own car because they are dodging taxi regulations, putting the entire cost of their fleet and maintenance on the drivers, and forcing down ride prices with investor funding.

They aren't a solution for poo poo except the SCOTUS case that'll be along in a couple years to more firmly define the difference between employees and contractors.

Uber is operating a loss to create a monopoly they're expecting to exploit with automation.

They are exploiting their workforce with the expectation they'll be replaced before the money dries up. Their current lovely actions are barely relevant to the expectations set out by their business model.

Automated private mass transit is the solution to the "75% of the country that isn't densely built up urban areas" It isn't affordable to have 30 passenger busses going to bus stops, but a 10 passenger vehicle costing you 10 minutes to stop at yours and a few other people's front doors would be once that vehicle is automated, communal and electric.

A lot of people here seem to defend their steering wheel emotionally, and that makes them blind to the requirements of the larger percentage of the population forced nearly against their will to hold a steering wheel by a country built around a car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I feel like Uber only hit it big because, as I understand it, minicabs have never been a thing in the USA?

I think a large proportion of Uber drivers here are just minicab drivers using it as an additional avenue for bookings.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Liquid Communism posted:

Even then its not that cheap. I have had a couple different $100 rides to the airport, which is less than 20 miles from my house, because of traffic. It got to the point that when I travel for business, I drive myself and park at the airport parking lot because it is cheaper than taking an uber if I am going to be gone for less than a week.

I think looking at carsharing services like car2go and reachNow is a better comparison for automated cars. I own 2 cars(3 if you count the one that doesn't work) and I still end up using reachNow a couple times a week.

InitialDave posted:

I feel like Uber only hit it big because, as I understand it, minicabs have never been a thing in the USA?

I think a large proportion of Uber drivers here are just minicab drivers using it as an additional avenue for bookings.

Pretty much this. Before Uber, your only option was the 1 or 2 major cab companies in the city. And good luck getting a cab, since you call for one, they send a cab who stops and picks someone else up on their way and forgets about you. Then you have to call the cab company back, who only seemed to employ the most pissed off employees, ask for another cab and then get yelled at "because I already sent you a cab", despite the fact that was 2 hours ago and they are definitely not showing up.

I am still more of a fan of Uber's original idea, which was just giving town car drivers, who traditionally only had scheduled rides to/from the airport or sat at hotels waiting for people to ask for a car, a way to pick up more fares when they had downtime. I still use this option(called uber black now) over uberx cause I have had too many lovely experiences with uberx drivers.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 7, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Taxi companies in north america built their business on regulatory capture, and it's hilarious to see them panic as they lose their grip. For decades they've provided lovely service at a high price and used their control of government to prevent supply from ever meeting demand.

Uber's lovely driver treatment isn't the answer, but neither was the taxi company's sticky seats and 2 hour waits.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

InitialDave posted:

No, there's minicabs here. They're called 'Every cab company' though, because there is no such thing as a London Black Cab concept that exceeds the 'generally poo poo service, on their schedule' you get from UK minicabs and cab companies in the US. Which is how Uber managed to claw a foothold - because if you call the local minicab company and it's a 45 minute wait before Steve McDonald can get over to you, it's exactly the same thing as calling any of the 'cab companies' in the US. Uber solved that.

I had a minicab from NW6 once where he didn't know how to get to Harrod's and I had to direct him, which is exactly like getting a medallion'd yellow cab in NYC and he won't know how to get to Central Park. (this happens too)

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Cap CEO pay at 4 x their lowest paid worker or subcontractors hourly wage x 24 x 365 :munch:

Been driving this all week. 1.0t 100ps 5 speed manual. Very impressed. Not quick, but considering it's the base engine it's utterly adequate. Pulls nicely from 40 to 90 in third, torque curve is flat but just enough.

Handles well, plenty of bum feedback but bugger all through the steering. 43mph over 360 miles which isn't bad considering I would get about the same from a diesel on the same run.

Interior is half nice and half cheap poo poo, sync works fine but speakers were crap. Doesn't have cruise control though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

Taxi companies in north america built their business on regulatory capture, and it's hilarious to see them panic as they lose their grip. For decades they've provided lovely service at a high price and used their control of government to prevent supply from ever meeting demand.

Uber's lovely driver treatment isn't the answer, but neither was the taxi company's sticky seats and 2 hour waits.

on the other hand Uber is a lovely company run by lovely people and I can't wait to watch it blow up

• Locked thread