Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

AKA loudest redhead on the planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

AKA loudest redhead on the planet

Second-loudest.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Second-loudest.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/better-call-saul-review-season-three-gus-fring-breaking-bad-recap/2/

Sepinwall has seen the first 2 episodes of Better Call Saul S3 and says it's great and Gus Fring (I assume we all know this but spoilering just in case.) fits in just fine.

....welp I guess it's at least streaming on something. It always makes me sad that there's less of a chance of people discovering it or rediscovering it because of that. :(

I have to say seeing Saul's inevitably bad decisions gather momentum in the S2 has definitely bogged me down watching it. Currently in the fourth ep, and find myself constantly distracted to watch something where I don't know what happens. Like, it's a good job!!! Stay in it!!!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TinEye tells me that's 70s brit rocker Noddy Holder, of the band Slade.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Shageletic posted:

I have to say seeing Saul's inevitably bad decisions gather momentum in the S2 has definitely bogged me down watching it. Currently in the fourth ep, and find myself constantly distracted to watch something where I don't know what happens. Like, it's a good job!!! Stay in it!!!

I don't know. The Jimmy/Saul half of the show is about him struggling to not be himself since "himself" is actually Saul and I think it's compelling and they've done a good job in a situation (they've created) where you already know the ending.

But...consider this: From the start of Breaking Bad (iirc, or very nearly the start) Vince Gilligan admitted the premise of the show was to turn Mr.Chips into Scarface. So we all had a rough idea of who Walter White would end up as, yet we still kept watching.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saul is very much a Greek tragedy at this point. It sucks that Jimmy can't be happy in his position, but it's understandable considering what we know about him.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shageletic posted:

I stopped listening to the Insider podcast about halfway through S2 because the constant self-congratulatory asides were just too annoying and started to completely outweighed the actual interesting behind-the-scenes scuttlebutt, but they outright admitted that they retconned him ending S1 with turning down the job offer and riding into the sunset because when they got renewed and had to sit down to write S2 they realized they could fill an entire season showing him burning his bridges with them instead. They way they spun the decision to go with that was because they completely wanted to get rid of any nagging what-ifs about how things could have gone differently if he hadn't turned it down, but a more cynical person could easily see it as them not being in any rush to move closer to the inevitable conclusion now that the show is so successful that they're in no danger of having to worry about being renewed again.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Yeah. The original plan was definitely for him to become Saul Goodman at the end of Season 1. And renewal stuff aside, that's the boring and safe choice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
S2 of Better Call Saul is really hard to watch when Chuck starts accurately guessing every shady thing that Jimmy has done, and everyone stands up for Jimmy and says Chuck is crazy

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

S2 of Better Call Saul is really hard to watch when Chuck starts accurately guessing every shady thing that Jimmy has done, and everyone stands up for Jimmy and says Chuck is crazy

The relationship between Chuck and Jimmy is by far the strongest part of the show. You can constantly see all the little lovely parts of Chuck's personality and how he resents that Jimmy has a much easier time with people than he does, and you can see Jimmy genuinely loves Chuck, but in the end, Chuck's right to not trust his brother at all, and Jimmy really is a lovely dude.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

whowhatwhere posted:

How much do you like people in lovely situations continually loving up and making their lives a million times worse?

You'd have to be a bit more specific, because that also describes Always Sunny and that show is one of the best dark comedies of modern TV.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

I also found Californication to be unwatchable despite loving Duchovny from X-Files. Add Dexter to that list and I've sworn off Showtime shows made after 2000.

You've got to watch at least the first two seasons of Penny Dreadful (the third one wasn't as bad as some of the "awful final seasons" that get discussed but it was still a step down).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The third season of Penny Dreadful is fine. I enjoyed the American journey and Eva Green is awesome as always.

TV Zombie posted:

Is it at least worth a watch? I thought I heard about it from others which is why I started watching the first episode but..haven't really gone back to it or had any enthusiasm to go back to it. It's just there in the queue.

Its one of my genuinely favorite shows on TV. Emmy Rossum and William H Macy are brilliant and no show on TV has as much heart or "realism", IMO. Its just a lot of bad things happening to people you care about so its tough to watch all at once. Which is why I feel behind a couple of seasons because I kind of fell out of the desire to watch it for awhile. So of course then I binged it, which was dumb.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

The third season of Penny Dreadful is fine. I enjoyed the American journey and Eva Green is awesome as always.

I don't disagree - it was fine, but it a definite step down from the first two.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like the first few episodes of Penny Dreadful season 2 set a bar that the show won't ever clear again. But yeah season 3 is good.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am rewatching Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and holy poo poo, the episode Disaster Show might be one of the funniest things Sorkin has ever written.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

precision posted:

I feel like the first few episodes of Penny Dreadful season 2 set a bar that the show won't ever clear again. But yeah season 3 is good.

I feel like Season 3 just struggled from the inherent difficulty of giving a satisfying ending and tie up for 2 seasons of big, sweeping mystery and horror. I think it did a fine job at it but you're always going to have some degree of dissatisfaction with the answers and endings when they're given. The show was just better when it was open ended and you were asking what was in the shadows, then when you actually find out.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 7, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

quote:

funniest things Sorkin has ever written.

Does not compute.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like Season 3 just struggled from the inherent difficulty of giving a satisfying ending and tie up for 2 seasons of big, sweeping mystery and horror. I think it did a fine job at it but you're always going to have some degree of dissatisfaction with the answers and endings when they're given. The show was just better when it was open ended and you were asking what was in the shadows, then when you actually find out.

I thought Reeve Carney and Billie Piper were just sort of there in the last season. Their arc was interesting enough but I think it's where it's most obvious that they were hoping for a fourth season, because it ends really abruptly. Maybe that's the point. I don't know.

One thing I discovered recently (from an interview between Mark Kermode and Kim Newman which they recorded in the last fortnight or so) is that a TV miniseries version of Anno Dracula had been optioned yet again but whichever production company or network or whatever had picked up decided not to proceed because Penny Dreadful was announced and they didn't want to have to compete with it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought Reeve Carney and Billie Piper were just sort of there in the last season. Their arc was interesting enough but I think it's where it's most obvious that they were hoping for a fourth season, because it ends really abruptly. Maybe that's the point. I don't know.
I agree but their stories were always the clear outsiders that never really gelled with the main show/cast. In the first season they're all kind of on the periphery of the main stuff but instead of moving in they just kind of wandered off to their own, not nearly as interesting story.

In the end it felt like S1 was about classic characters they wanted to use and reimagine and as the overall story came together they just didn't know how to get all of them on board so they didn't force it. Which I actually am grateful of because forcing it could have made everything worse.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Timby posted:

Does not compute.

Part of the reason why Studio 60 didn't work is that they showed too much of the skits and they were never funny. This kind of blew that premise out of the water as eerything was supposed to go wrong. Plus Allison Janey is amazing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Now I'm thinking that you probably could've filled out the cast for an adaptation of Anno Dracula pretty well using the cast of Penny Dreadful.

Dye Eva Green blonde and she'd have made a great Geneviève Dieudonné. :D

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

swickles posted:

Part of the reason why Studio 60 didn't work is that they showed too much of the skits and they were never funny. This kind of blew that premise out of the water as eerything was supposed to go wrong. Plus Allison Janey is amazing.

Which was weird because supposedly Mark McKinney was consulting on the sketches and you'd think he would still have some level of talent at that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

Does not compute.

The Social Network was funny

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

muscles like this! posted:

Which was weird because supposedly Mark McKinney was consulting on the sketches and you'd think he would still have some level of talent at that.

Probably kept the good material for himself. Why waste it on some show nobody watches.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoy Sorkin but only for like a couple of hours and then I'm over it. So like Social Network and Moneyball are good but Newsroom is grating because the clock runs out after a few episodes.

I've never seen West Wing besides a few episodes and clips here or there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mu Zeta posted:

Probably kept the good material for himself. Why waste it on some show nobody watches.

I dunno I've watched a few episodes of Superstore and I definitely wouldn't say that it's peak McKinney humor.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, McKinney was one of a five person comedy team that were hilarious 25-30 years ago. Has he done much on his own since then to suggest he's the standout comedy genius there?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He is very very funny in Superstore.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've enjoyed him in the things I've seen him in here or there, but I just don't expect Kids in the Hall level stuff from him or anything.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

I've never seen West Wing besides a few episodes and clips here or there.

You really should though. Besides maybe A Few Good Men, it's him at his best. Social Network and Moneyball are good, but TWW is Sorkin at Peak-Good-Sorkin. (And even the seasons after he left are worth it.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Escobarbarian posted:

He is very very funny in Superstore.

I'll say he's funny, and probably the highlight of the show, but I think it's a relatively mediocre show so it's not saying too much.

I was hoping for more being an ex-retail slave. I get too nit-picky on it though, getting mad at unrealistic policies and procedures that the show has that are nothing like an actual retail store. I know and fully understand this is a problem for me and like maybe 1% of the rest of the viewership and accept that I'm a crazy person.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its on my list of "shows I should definitely get around to", I've just never really been that excited by political intrigue and, like I said, kind of have a limited tolerance for Sorkin. But I definitely should view his best work before casting final judgment on him.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, its on my list of "shows I should definitely get around to", I've just never really been that excited by political intrigue and, like I said, kind of have a limited tolerance for Sorkin. But I definitely should view his best work before casting final judgment on him.

It's very very funny at times, all the performances from the leads (and many of the supporting cast) are just superb, and it had awesome guest stars.

Also, if it helps, you can think of it as an alternate reality where George W. Bush was never president for 8 years, and 9/11, the Iraq War, and the war in Afghanistan never happened.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Longbaugh01 posted:

TWW is Sorkin at Peak-Good-Sorkin. (And even the seasons after he left are worth it.)

Yeah, The West Wing is similar to Homicide in that the later seasons were a definite drop in quality from the earlier high watermarks, but even their lows were still better than 99 percent of the junk on TV at the time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Saul is very much a Greek tragedy at this point. It sucks that Jimmy can't be happy in his position, but it's understandable considering what we know about him.

I just hate that his brother was right about him.. Saul seems like such a good guy in S1.

Maybe I'm burnt out on amoral anti-heroes at this point.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In this case it's very much a self-fulfilling prophecy in many ways.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dark Matter and Wynonna Earp return June 9th and Killjoys June 30th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

GreenNight posted:

Dark Matter and Wynonna Earp return June 9th and Killjoys June 30th.

Oh boy, do I dare slog through some more Dark Matter waiting for payoffs that don't come or do but are lackluster.

(The answer is yes because I can be quite the sucker :()

• Locked thread