Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Mister Facetious posted:

Except the Maquis didn't personally wound him, and after being talked down twice (I, Borg and First Contact), he still tried talking when given the chance.

Sisko is an alien omni-race from another dimension that doesn't even understand what "time" is.
He killed a planet biosphere as a dick waving measure.

THE Sisko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I guess I'm just a human supremacist then.

#TeamAshley

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Mister Facetious posted:

I guess I'm just a human supremacist then.

#TeamAshley

You're better than that. Jake Sisko was mind-raped by an ailen and it didn't turn him into some kind of intolerant monster. Until of course another alien took over his body and turned him into some kind of intolerant monster. But he recovered from that too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

True, I'm a humanist irl, and Undiscovered Country is my favorite movie, but Sisko isn't human, and he definitely doesn't belong in the Federation.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
You loving assholes. I just finished the Dominion war episodes and saw Iggy Pop. Don't be spoiling poo poo for this DS9 virgin!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Any time I watch an episode of DS9, I can't help but think "Keith David would've been soooo much better as Sisko than this guy."

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

You loving assholes. I just finished the Dominion war episodes and saw Iggy Pop. Don't be spoiling poo poo for this DS9 virgin!

We were nice enough not to point out Jem'Hadar Henry Rollins so its no big and you missed it anyway.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Voyager has many flaws but I return to watch these episodes, most of them are objectively good stories I think

Eye of the Needle
State of Flux
Projections
Maneuvers
Death Wish
Deadlock
Before and After
Distant Origin
Worst Case Scenario
Scorpion Pt 1 and 2
The Gift
Scientific Method
Year of Hell Pt 1
Prey
Living Witness
Timeless
Counterpoint
Bliss
Dark Frontier
Someone to Watch Over Me
Relativity
Survival Instinct
Blink of an Eye
Critical Care
Prophecy
The Void
Author Author

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That list does not include BRIDE OF CHAOTICA! and is thus incorrect.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I don't remember many Voyager episode names, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt until you said "Year of Hell", cause that was dooooog poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mister Facetious posted:

Except the Maquis didn't personally wound him, and after being talked down twice (I, Borg and First Contact), he still tried talking when given the chance.

Sisko is an alien omni-race from another dimension that doesn't even understand what "time" is.
He killed a planet biosphere as a dick waving measure.

He didn't kill a planet's biosphere he made it inhospitable for human by filling it with a gas poisonous to them but not to cardassian as a tit for tat measure to what the Marquis did to a Cardassian colony that they tried to take over. The end of the episode basically said "We captured the ring leaders and two colonies have basically just swapped planets." It's sketchy but ultimately did better than letting the Marquis leaders like Eddington walk away to continue to make more Cardassian colonies uninhabitable and just exacerbate the hell hole of issues surrounding the Badlands/Cardassia/Bajor region

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 7, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He didn't kill a planet's biosphere he made it inhospitable for human by filling it with a gas poisonous to them but not to cardassian

God drat, that is some lazy writing to solve a problem.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Mister Facetious posted:

I don't remember many Voyager episode names, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt until you said "Year of Hell", cause that was dooooog poo poo.

I've tried a lot of "no really these voyager episodes are good" lists and the only good, unequivocally good, voyager episode I've seen is Prototype. Voyager is very bad and has one good episode as far as I can tell.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mister Facetious posted:

Not really. The Maquis were only able to get away with all the whiny baby terrorist poo poo they did because the Federation was too nice to really do anything and Cardassians were going through political upheaval. Sisko just used the Maquis tactics against them, and solved the issue with no bloodshed. Just a colony swap.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Which one was the one where that planet spun it's rear end real fast I thought that was a cool idea that this spaceship was in your orbit of your planet for it's entire evolution but I still find that race being genetically compatible with holograms to be highly suspect

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Not really. The Maquis were only able to get away with all the whiny baby terrorist poo poo they did because the Federation was too nice to really do anything and Cardassians were going through political upheaval. Sisko just used the Maquis tactics against them, and solved the issue with no bloodshed. Just a colony swap.

I mean the fact the writer waved a magic wand and said "special potion that only effects humans instead of goblins!" and thought that was a good solution for a television show with a target audience age higher than six.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 8, 2017

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Tighclops posted:

After awhile I think SG-1 crawled up it's own "well we're just joking about all the tropes this genre typically takes seriously, which excuses increasingly lame stories/characters/etc." hole, it probably should have ended around season 5

Agreed. I think I stopped watching it after season six. It just turned into everyone trying to be "witty".

Mister Facetious posted:

uhh... I don't want to defend Voyager, but this opinion seems pretty wrong.

edit: okay, now you're just trolling

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Agreed. I think I stopped watching it after season six. It just turned into everyone trying to be "witty".

That, and by the time you get into Atlantis, they basically have Star Trek technology, complete with transporters and beam weapons. Honestly, once it got on in years there were times like that franchise felt like it was desperate to be a low rent Star Trek where everybody's a nearly whedon-level zingmaster

Mister Facetious posted:

I like that this is your problem with an otherwise solid episode, not the part at the end where they blow off the whole thing where Sisko gassed the gently caress out of an inhabited world because apparently Starfleet was cool with it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

I like that this is your problem with an otherwise solid episode, not the part at the end where they blow off the whole thing where Sisko gassed the gently caress out of an inhabited world because apparently Starfleet was cool with it

The Maquis had started throwing around WMDs and attacked a Federation starship (the Malinche). Sisko intervened in a way which preserved the peace between the Feds and the Cardassians, and resulted in a hell of a lot fewer casualties than if they'd sat back and let the Cardassians deal with it.

The Maquis kept crying about wanting to be an independent space nation, well, guess what happens to space nations that throw WMDs at their neighbors?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

criscodisco posted:

Which one was the one where that planet spun it's rear end real fast I thought that was a cool idea that this spaceship was in your orbit of your planet for it's entire evolution but I still find that race being genetically compatible with holograms to be highly suspect

Blink of an Eye I believe

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

It's been said before in this thread. The Maquis are the sovereign citizens of the Federation.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tighclops posted:

So you missed the post where I condemned him for the act and called him a traitor to everything the Federation stands for? And the post where I accused him of doing it solely out of ego to beat that yellow uniform guy? Got it. Nice selective reading skill.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

uhh... I don't want to defend Voyager, but this opinion seems pretty wrong.

edit: okay, now you're just trolling

I saw it when it aired. It is literally the single worst time travel story of any medium I have heard time travel stories in. It's garbage.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 8, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Friends! Friends! *slams grey fist on table *

Can we focus our anger and confusion on the real enemy behind those crimes against the people of Cardassia and our friends, the Federation?

Obviously I'm talking about Bajor.

Which must be destroyed.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Mister Facetious posted:

I mean the fact the writer waved a magic wand and said "special potion that only effects humans instead of goblins!" and thought that was a good solution for a television show with a target audience age higher than six.

Think of it like how chocolate is poisonous to dogs. A rich, choclately atmosphere is poisonous to Cardassins but to humans it would just be like a thin dusting of Ovaltine.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i was livin in a hotel once tryin to make my food stamps last all month by eatin cold boyardee out the can with a swiss army knife bc i couldn't find a fork and ever since then i have a fondness for mini-ravioli boyardee. not unlike the nostalgia many feel for TNG which is apparently bad, and worse than sex

so if i had a replicator i would replicate boyardee mini-ravioli cans. at least eight or nine a day. that's enough for a day if you're splurging, if you are on a tight budget you can make one last all day but it's the future so we can eat as many cans as we want!

but here's the tough question: would you replicate it in a bowl, all hot and steamy? or would you ask the replicator to pop out a nice ol can that you crack the seal and jab something pointy in there to spear the raviolis and shovel them into your mouth all cold and damp?

it's a dilemma i bet even the most lesson-teachingest trek couldn't solve, boyardee cold or hot?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
curveball answer, I'm gonna go with a pouch of them like I used to get from MREs, cold.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

So you missed the post where I condemned him for the act and called him a traitor to everything the Federation stands for? And the post where I accused him of doing it solely out of ego to beat that yellow uniform guy? Got it. Nice selective reading skill.

I guess I glossed over your posts, they must have been pretty lovely

naem
May 29, 2011

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

curveball answer, I'm gonna go with a pouch of them like I used to get from MREs, cold.

I bet Star Trek MRE's don't even constipate you

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Obrien really liked emergency rations

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
they were probably full of potatoes

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Remember that episode where Kes was mentally time travelling or some poo poo. I remember watching it when it aired and they teased the whole concept of the year of hell. I remember thinking, that is a really neat concept and I hope they make something out of it someday. Unfortunately, they never did.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tighclops posted:

I guess I glossed over your posts, they must have been pretty lovely

I don't appreciate people accusing me of letting off war criminals and traitors. You should be better than that.

Then again, this is SomethingAwful dot com... :ironicat:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Figaro posted:

Voyager has many flaws but I return to watch these episodes, most of them are objectively good stories I think

Eye of the Needle
State of Flux
Projections
Maneuvers
Death Wish
Deadlock
Before and After
Distant Origin
Worst Case Scenario
Scorpion Pt 1 and 2
The Gift
Scientific Method
Year of Hell Pt 1
Prey
Living Witness
Timeless
Counterpoint
Bliss
Dark Frontier
Someone to Watch Over Me
Relativity
Survival Instinct
Blink of an Eye
Critical Care
Prophecy
The Void
Author Author

God no to most of these. Some admittedly do approach a good episode, or have an interesting story idea, but fail for one reason or other in the execution. Generally because they rely on Voyager's main cast being able to emote properly.

Here's a better list;

One
Bride OF CHAOTICA!
The Equinox Parts 1&2
One Small Step
Pathfinder.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
from this thread, july 27 2016

Tricky D posted:

Your list of good Voyager episodes is messed up because it isn't just Bride of Chaotica listed 12 times.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Like, you've had nearly a year to unfuck your list, yet haven't.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Figaro posted:

Eye of the Needle
State of Flux
Projections
Maneuvers
Death Wish
Deadlock
Before and After
Distant Origin
Worst Case Scenario
Scorpion Pt 1 and 2
The Gift
Scientific Method
Year of Hell Pt 1
Prey
Living Witness
Timeless
Counterpoint
Bliss
Dark Frontier
Someone to Watch Over Me
Relativity
Survival Instinct
Blink of an Eye
Critical Care
Prophecy
The Void
Author Author

All good fun episodes. Sure not the best ever but saying that list is bad is stupid. Who doesn't like seeing some occasional Hirogen badassness? I also like Barclay so throw Pathfinder on there too.

Voyager gets a lot of poo poo but it's rarely boring and hey at least it's fun to talk about the goofy poo poo that happens. For example forgetting about God tier tech is a must in Star Trek. Iconian gateways, transporter guns, hologram warriors/weapons, creating supernovas on a whim, TIME TRAVELING, most Borg tech (mostly Voyager) but the glass is always half full.

You've gotta respect how Voyager at least kept the Borg enhancements throughout the show AND kept the glowing green things on the ship model from that point forward.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 8, 2017

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Oh also speaking of loving up planets. Remember in The Chase when the Data headbutt klingon hosed up an entire planets biosphere so nobody else could snag a sample?

They basically said "oh poo poo" and nothing else came of it. What Sisko did was nothing at all compared to that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tyson Tomko posted:

You've gotta respect how Voyager at least kept the Borg enhancements throughout the show AND kept the glowing green things on the ship model from that point forward.

Nope, ripped right the gently caress out after Scorpion because why keep the shiny new toys that break syndication possibilities with continuity? The only thing they kept were some more-efficient power couplings on Deck 8. And, well, the Alcoves in Cargo Bay 2 I guess.

Even the Delta Flyer's "superior Borg weaponry" just goes away after its first few appearances. I think they even quietly excise the Borg bits from the external shot CGI model too.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
drat guess my memory needs the Dr's nanoprobe therapy but I think you're right. They still looked pretty cool though.

My one and only Voyager complaint I'll never forgive them for: I would love the Delta Flyer if not for the fact the Aeroshuttle could have been easily easily taken its place and fit 1000x better into the story.

They could have said it was unfinished or damaged by the caretaker or something originally. It not only looked cool but it would have finally used the sweet captains yacht idea. Make it have a max speed of warp 2 or something until the Borg enhancements for a good story or what not.

Just imagine Chakotay being able to not only say "in the Delta quadrant what's old is new again" a second time in by having the genius idea of using 2 ships in a fight. "You see captain, 2 heads are better than one!" Or Tuvok could have mentioned flanking. Or have some stupid plot about the crew using it as lifeboat kind of like in Enterprise when they were chillin in the nacelles (which I enjoyed for the most part)

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Voyager sucks