Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

After they win they decide the world is so hosed its easier to just go run away to the void and get eaten by horrors than stick around and fix poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It seems as though the Prince of Lust has plenty of reason to side with Gath. Looking at his sprite he seems as though he is descended from the Nephilim so right now he would be basically helping out his great grandkids survive in the hell that is the dominion war.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I would think that, being the Prince of Lust he probably has grandkids all over the various nations.

Dominions 26 will have a feature that remembers enemy pretenders and makes them into unique summonable units in future games.

Dominions 27 will have a pop-up notice that says "Really sneak this unit when attacking with rest of stack?"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Veryslightlymad posted:

I would think that, being the Prince of Lust he probably has grandkids all over the various nations.

Dominions 26 will have a feature that remembers enemy pretenders and makes them into unique summonable units in future games.

Dominions 27 will have a pop-up notice that says "Really sneak this unit when attacking with rest of stack?"

It is more then just grandkids though as being part of the long family tree that includes the giants that rule Gath.

as a point of comparison.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

quote:

[20:29] <Morrow> the astral and blood dudes were for big time spells
01[20:29] <Ramc> i also need to think of a global message to send once i take charge
[20:29] <Morrow> I think either could do the astral blood stuff, I've got enough boosters
01[20:29] <Ramc> with your gem piles you can do anything
01[20:29] <Ramc> geez
[20:29] <Morrow> There's a lot of gate cleavers and supply cauldrons floating around commanders to support the sieges
[20:29] <Morrow> and lots of random magic items from events cluttering up the lab
[20:30] <Morrow> I'm trying to domkill ragha and mictlan because of their underwater provinces
[20:31] <Morrow> mictlan will die soon, unless Caelum is hiding some of their candles
06[20:31] * Ramc torn between stalin-ramc giving trotsky-morrow the boot, or a vince mcmahon IT WAS ME AUSTIN reveal
01[20:32] <Ramc> (this is the most important thing)

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The Throne of the Pantokrator is a lonely one. Maybe 's part of why they keep loving off.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
The best part of a very exciting turn was the RamC reveal message! This game is kicking into overdrive!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

After they win they decide the world is so hosed its easier to just go run away to the void and get eaten by horrors than stick around and fix poo poo.

It's very easy for Pretender Gods to call for the repeal of Gift of Health, but once you become Pantokrator and everyone expects some sort of replacement you realize this is an actual job and you have to work for it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Veryslightlymad posted:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Veryslightlymad posted:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Wasn't the plan also to cast Gift of Health this turn? Or did I miss that happening/being postponed?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PurpleXVI posted:

Wasn't the plan also to cast Gift of Health this turn? Or did I miss that happening/being postponed?

We're saving up gems and waiting to see how the war starts. We'll probably attempt to steal it in the next few turns.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
This is shaping up to be a very, very interesting LP. I cannot wait to see how this plays out, no matter which way it goes (though I kinda really want to see How are u win some big battles).

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I am interested in seeing Ramc's even handed and no doubt well reasoned response to these incursions.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Donkringel posted:

I am interested in seeing Ramc's even handed and no doubt well reasoned response to these incursions.

With totally maxxed out research, no less.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Willie Tomg posted:

With totally maxxed out research, no less.

quote:

01[20:29] <Ramc> with your gem piles you can do anything
01[20:29] <Ramc> geez

Gonna be messy.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
This is the most dramatic turn in a Dom3 LP. I feel like I'm watching Wrestling promos of Ramc AND THAT IS A GREAT THING!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The even bigger reveal: It's Dom4!

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

BAH GAWD KING THAT'S RAMC'S MUSIC! WHERE DID HE COME FROM?!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

resistentialism posted:

The even bigger reveal: It's Dom4!

:laugh:

Sorry for the sporadic updates friends, life is always busy and now we're getting into updates where there are 30~ screen shots. Next turn comes soon!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 79

Turn 79 begins with a message from Bogarus:

Looks like Ramc isn’t pleased that Pangaea invaded him, but really what did he expect when he cast that Wrath of God??

Next there’s our own message to the world. Everybody is getting this message alongside the notification that we've just claimed the Throne of the Pantokrator. I think it's a sufficiently bold declaration of our strength.

Then we see our ritual casts for the turn: Golems, goats, Vampires, and our second to last Demon Lord:

:freep:

Pazuzu is a mighty Air mage and easily our strongest by a mile. I’m having him forge an Air booster this turn and we’ll give him a Ring of Wizardry as well to get him up to Air 7. We’ll probably use him in key battles to summon poo poo-loads of Air Elementals and cast really excellent buffs.

We cast Send Horror three times and sent three Greater Horrors, one to each of the three Bogarus provinces we invaded this turn. Because the Magic phase of each game turn takes place before the Movement phase each Horror attacked its province alone, and our invading forces followed later in the turn resolution.

First we hit Falgoth. The Send Horror spell sends a randomly selected Greater Horror to the province, and there are, I think, 4 types of Greater Horror, with some better than others. Falgoth got a classic, vanilla Greater Horror:

It's a classic for a reason. What a nasty piece of work.

Flee!

The PD was cleared no problem, and our army followed later in the turn, occupying and laying siege to the province’s fortress without a battle.

Next, in Fas Dir we see that a Defiler of Dreams Horror manifested. It too cleared the PD, and our army slipped effortlessly into the province and put the fort to siege.

These guys don't have any Protection, but do have Damage Reversal.

They're effective.

Finally, in Bogarus’ Throne province of Gryphon Rock, a Mind Silme Horror showed up. Mind Slimes are my least favorite type of Greater Horror because they’re the least robust. They are Astral 5 mages but they have much lower HP than other Greater Horrors and actually fairly often lose to PD. Additionally, we see that Bogarus had almost 100 of their elite heavy cavalry patrolling alongside the PD in Gryphon Rock.

Interesting in concept, not quite so great in execution.

:wom:

The Mind Slime Horror does terribly and dies to Bogarussian lances, which means that our invading Vampires have to fight a battle.

Speaking of battles, there are several to look at this turn. Firstly, AI Ragha, whom Pangaea so embarrassingly failed to beat last turn when he stormed their capitol fort, took the opportunity this turn to break the siege, and met the remnants of Pan’s army on the open field:

This poo poo is bonkers!

Once again, Pan’s poorly scripted and unarmed (by which I mean not equipped with gems) mages got dunked by Ragha’s massed swarm of mages and summons. Really embarrassing stuff for Pan here.

Like I mentioned a moment ago, we took the Bogarus provinces of Fas Dir and Falgoth without a fight and are now sieging the forts there. We’ve even broken the gate of the fort in Fas Dir. We’ll send a scout through next turn to peek at what’s inside.

In Gryphon Rock, however, we had to fight the PD + more than 80 elite heavy cavalry. This wouldn’t have been a problem for an army the size of the ones we sent to Fas Dir and Falgoth, but we didn’t have enough Vampires positioned to attack Gryphon Rock en mas last turn. I foolishly figured we’d beat the PD with a Horror, and that the rest of the Vampires could show up a turn later. Well, here’s what we sent to Gryphon Rock:

Six Vampire Lords and a Kohen.

And here’s the defenders:

gently caress-load of Heavy Cavalry.

Our Vampires summon up an impressive number of skeletons, but that’s all they’re scripted to do. I didn’t have any of them set to cast Rigor Mortis or Darkness or Plague, or anything more deadly at all. The skeletons meet the defenders in melee and the two sides smash:

Nothing slows a cavalry charge quite like a moving wall of the undead.

All of those heavy cavalry are tough and brave, however, and they slowly push through the undead and reach the rearmost lines. Our Vampires come under threat:

Getting closer...

One Vampire Lord takes a lance through the chest and was killed. I’m still not sure how Dominion mechanics work w/r/t Immortality, but however they do this Vampire Lord was well and truly terminated. He didn’t reappear in our Capitol, he’s dead, 77 Blood Slaves down the tube.

:rip:

Another Vampire Lord takes enough wounds to decide to flee the field, leaving 4 Lords and a Kohen remaining. The Kohen eventually takes a pike in the eye and dies, but the 4 remaining Lords prove to be really badass fuckers. I thought for sure that we’d lost the battle, but they soldier on, tanking the heavy cavalry and alternating between casting Terror and raising skeletons. Eventually the Bogarussian defense breaks, and we win the day:

No big deal just tanking the whole Russian army.

Victory!

So, we are 3 for 3 for our invasion targets this turn. We’re moving reinforcements into those armies, and I truly have no idea what kind of crazy poo poo Ramc is going to throw at or against them next turn. Hopefully our extra Dominion power from claiming the Throne of the Pantokrator will give us bunch of candles in those provinces, because we could stand to lose a -lot- of Vampires otherwise.

There were also two Pangaea – Bogarus battles we caught this turn. First, Pangaea attempts to storm a fort in Great Woods:

Laziness!!

Basically unscripted, same old lazy poo poo we saw earlier. The Grove Guards are blocked from getting through the gate by heavy cavalry, and are then taken apart with surgical precision by Bogarussian evocation.

Second, in The Forgotten Woods, Pan tries to storm another fort. This one, however, contains a familiar face:

What's that I see??

!!

Bogarus has one of the Treelords sitting in this province, oh boy! There are no heavy cavalry to block this gate, and Pan’s centaurs and minotaur take casualties but make it into the fort and slay every defender except the Treelord.

Busting through the gate, but hitting a brick wall.

The Ethereal, 48hp per turn regenerating Treelord tanks all of the beast-men until it kills enough through poison spells and smacking with branches to cause a rout:

Minotaur are still there because they're berserk, but the Centaur are running for the exit.

I really hope that Pan steps up their game after these sad losses.

So, we’re ending the turn doing a few things. We’re reinforcing our invasion armies and hoping that whatever Bogarus throws against them next turn won’t be enough. We’re summoning the final remaining Demon Lord next turn. We’re also attempting to steal Bogarus’ Gift of Health. We liquidated a -lot- of Pearls this turn, alchemizing them into Nature gems that our God, The Might of Zionism, is going to use to cast his own Gift of Health. 401 Nature gems, to be exact. If we fail it means that Bogarus’ Gift is even stronger, but at least we’ll get half of that amount refunded as Pearls by our Arcane Nexus!

Reinforcements moving to our tiny Vampire army in Gryphon Rock

Reinforcing our armies in Falgoth and Fas Dir, and also a new attack on Mushwoods. You can also see Pangaea's massive armies to the West.

Finally, a bit of diplomacy chat. Ramc was bragging on IRC that he’d negotiated a cease-fire with Pangaea, trying to intimidate me into scratching the invasion. I had a chat with Pan and he informed me that he used weasel-words to agree to not attack some specific province of Bogarus’, but that the war was definitely still on. It had loving better be, or we’re all going to lose for sure. Also, Caelum / Libluini let me know that his invasion of Bogarus begins two turns from now. I’m really excited for that to happen, because I am pretty sure that with 3 simultaneous invasions we’ll be able to overwhelm Bogarus and rid the world of Ramc’s Unholy Nation.

Next turn: Bogarus strikes back.

How are u fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 7, 2017

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

That's ridiculous that your kohens and vamps won that battle. I need to make me some vampires. Also you know a unit is badass when they have a spell named after them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Amazing work by the vamp lords there.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Now for the inevitable teeth-gnashing phase when one of your opponents comes up with something frustratingly simple but difficult to counter, be it massive globals, flying raiders, or just some form of attack you haven't planned for.

One of those opponents COULD be your ally and using said trick against the person you're dogpiling, of course, which gives you more information for preparing your sudden but inevitable betrayal. Dominions.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
This is a really weird game. Casting wrath of god, which is usually only a minor inconvenience, draws the ire of the whole world while everyone is cool with you having a game winning global like arcane nexus. Now if wrath of god was combined with foul air, that would be completrly different. It's a really fun combo if you can cast it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Foul air is auto disease on any injury, right? That could be rough on commanders.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Culka posted:

This is a really weird game. Casting wrath of god, which is usually only a minor inconvenience, draws the ire of the whole world while everyone is cool with you having a game winning global like arcane nexus. Now if wrath of god was combined with foul air, that would be completrly different. It's a really fun combo if you can cast it.

Something that helps just you has a massively different psychological effect than something that hurts everyone else, even if the net effect is identicle. It's understandable, but really unwise, that howareu isn't being dogpiled.

Recognising blind spots and exploiting them is all part of the game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Just going to point out that one of the "key" allies in the battle against Bogarus has been playing like a very slightly more competent AI for multiple turns now. It's not even like those mage stacks are particularly large or complex to script - losing all motivation or getting tempted to be lazy when trying to put together a 50+ mage communion scattered over multiple provinces is one thing, not giving N/E mages some gems and some basic mass buff orders is another. So them just blithely going along with the player who has a huge vampire swarm, blood sac, AND Arcane Nexus doesn't seem particularly odd.

edit: As a note, if it was just one or two instances it'd be one thing, but this is multiple battles over multiple turns against different nations, none of which are working, and they keep doing it.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 7, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Lord Koth posted:

Just going to point out that one of the "key" allies in the battle against Bogarus has been playing like a very slightly more competent AI for multiple turns now. It's not even like those mage stacks are particularly large or complex to script - losing all motivation or getting tempted to be lazy when trying to put together a 50+ mage communion scattered over multiple provinces is one thing, not giving N/E mages some gems and some basic mass buff orders is another. So them just blithely going along with the player who has a huge vampire swarm, blood sac, AND Arcane Nexus doesn't seem particularly odd.

edit: As a note, if it was just one or two instances it'd be one thing, but this is multiple battles over multiple turns against different nations, none of which are working, and they keep doing it.

What, you think they're just faking it? I love the metagame of Dominions, this LP is the most exciting thing I've followed for a while now.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

What, you think they're just faking it? I love the metagame of Dominions, this LP is the most exciting thing I've followed for a while now.

No one would sacrifice that much for mind games that might not even get noticed. There's a subsection of players who are both inexperienced and stubbornly refuse to learn the lessons that their defeats are trying to teach them. I'd confidently assume that Pangaea isn't even watching the battles play out.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bug Squash posted:

No one would sacrifice that much for mind games that might not even get noticed. There's a subsection of players who are both inexperienced and stubbornly refuse to learn the lessons that their defeats are trying to teach them. I'd confidently assume that Pangaea isn't even watching the battles play out.

Yeah, by now it's obvious that Pangaea is slowly burning out of this game. Our glorious 3:1 alliance is in truth just me and How are u against Ramc.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Bug Squash posted:

There's a subsection of players who are both inexperienced and stubbornly refuse to learn the lessons that their defeats are trying to teach them.

This is certainly true, but I want to chime in just to say that this is definitely not Afrosquirrel (Pangaea player). I've seen him play quite competently and well in games in which we've both participated in the past. My personal thought is that he's burning out of this amazing test of autistic strength.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

How are u posted:

This is certainly true, but I want to chime in just to say that this is definitely not Afrosquirrel (Pangaea player). I've seen him play quite competently and well in games in which we've both participated in the past. My personal thought is that he's burning out of this amazing test of autistic strength.

Does he know it's an LP? He should put in some effort for our entertainment damnit! Or at least do some sort of comedy stunt.

Libluini posted:

Yeah, by now it's obvious that Pangaea is slowly burning out of this game. Our glorious 3:1 alliance is in truth just me and How are u against Ramc.

Unless it's actually secretely How are u and Ramc against you?!?!?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Does he know it's an LP? He should put in some effort for our entertainment damnit! Or at least do some sort of comedy stunt.

This game was played in advance of the LP starting, yeah? Pretty sure you can't pivot to Turkey Swarms after the game's already over.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Triskelli posted:

This game was played in advance of the LP starting, yeah? Pretty sure you can't pivot to Turkey Swarms after the game's already over.

I think the LP was started when the game was in Turn ~75ish. So as long as how are u told everyone he was gonna LP it, they've known for a few turns now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Unless it's actually secretely How are u and Ramc against you?!?!?

Nice try, but I still won't post spoilers. :v:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
So because Afrosquirrel's autism is waning our collective vision for a vampire future is in jeopardy?

This is dire news for a Friday :ohdear:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is Ramc going to start posting his thoughts now? Triple the L.p., triple the fun?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Mo' Players Mo' Problems for me :v:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Donkringel posted:

Is Ramc going to start posting his thoughts now? Triple the L.p., triple the fun?

Ramc thinking:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

Ramc thinking:

Accurate.

I am still probably trying to figure out exactly what all he nonsense I could do was. I was basically clicking into random provinces and finding entire factories for weird rube goldberg setups that I tried to puzzle out. There is a difference between jumping right into a massive endgame nation and having done it since turn 1. "Oh a bane lord thug factory. Seems legit. Keep on keeping on."

I focused on a few areas and started empowering high-end casters to do shenanigans and crafting one of my favorite dom4 secret weapons. I was on vacation and also managing a second endgame game at the time so the true and terrible power of my 'tism was not yet unlocked.

As for Pan I pointed out I ate his face in those two fights but I see now he was a BAD FAITH FRIEND. Terrible! Sad!

• Locked thread