Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Wheeler has his faults but that was a pretty reasonable and understanding response to a member of the public running up to his high profile elected official rear end.
Yeah, because we all know how riotous those protests in downtown Portland have been. They've even targeted Dan's house! His life, his very essence, is under threat from the Red Menace....

Anyway, Right 2 Dream Too got a new location on PBOT land near the Rose Garden Moda Center, for "up to two years", with still no permanent solution in sight. http://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2017/04/06/18935348/landlord-right-2-dream-too-staying-in-place-for-two-more-months

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
:rip: this guy.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Hello...I haven't been following Mk. II thread, but it looks like there is still a lot of fun going on here.

I wanted to share an article I wrote on Medium last month. It isn't specifically about the Pacific Northwest, but it comes out of my experience across the northwest.

Its called "There are Two Rural Americas"

https://medium.com/@mnharris/there-are-two-rural-americas-720b382bf092

Basically what it comes from is when people in urban areas, like Portland or Seattle, talk about rural areas, anything that isn't new urban is lumped together: basically, from Portland, Albany and John Day are the same thing, and from Seattle, Chehalis and Forks are the same thing. But from my experience, if you are in John Day, Albany and Portland are both going to be seen as "The Big City". The USDA actually has a classification for the most remote areas, "Frontier and Remote", defined as areas more than an hour away from a city of 50,000 people.

Why it is interesting in terms of Oregon or Washington, is even though we talk about the urban/rural divide or West/East divide, most of the rural, conservative voters are not that rural. Oregon has a lot of FAR territory and FAR population compared to other states, but that still isn't that much. Of Oregon's 60 house districts, maybe 3 or 4 are predominantly FAR, and maybe a dozen have some FAR population. Most conservative voters are in exurban or suburban areas of the Willamette Valley, Bend or the Rogue River Valley, just because those areas have more people than the truly remote parts of Oregon.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So uh, this is kind of big news, but Ed Murray has a lawsuit against him because the plantiff argues that Murray sexually abused him when he was 15: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/lawsuit-alleges-seattle-mayor-ed-murray-sexually-abused-troubled-teen-in-1980s/

This isn't the first allegations against Murray. But Murray, despite denying the claims, canceled a news conference about police accountability when this came up.

Uh, this could get messy.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Considering this is Mayor Homeless Sweeps himself, I wouldn't put it past him to take advantage of a youth in a bad position.

While I am in no way thrilled with what Murray may have done, the silver lining of this is that it may help Nikkita Oliver a more compelling candidate to more people. There's a lot to be said for not having a sexual assault scandal on your political docket in an election cycle.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

anthonypants posted:

Anyway, Right 2 Dream Too got a new location on PBOT land...

There is only a couple of immediate solutions to this. One is you start rounding people up. Two you have home owners 'volunteer' to build a small 1 bedroom flat in their back yard.

The first is not morally acceptable. The second people are'nt going to want to have some weirdo wee-a-boo living with them.

glowing-fish posted:

Hello...I haven't been following Mk. II thread, but it looks like there is still a lot of fun going on here.

I wanted to share an article I wrote on Medium last month. It isn't specifically about the Pacific Northwest, but it comes out of my experience across the northwest.

Its called "There are Two Rural Americas"
Well written and you bring up a good point. For Washington off the top of my head you have Spokane, Pullman, Tri-Cities, Ellensburg, Walla Walla.

Compared to Moses Lake, Cle Elum, Colville,

Peachfart posted:

Yes please. Washington needs an income tax, it would be good for everyone. I'm thinking something that kicks in at around 50k/year. And tie it to a sales tax reduction to help the poor.
gently caress no! If I wanted to live in Oregon or Idaho, I'd move there. Property taxes and utility costs have gone up considerably in the area I live in. Yall can pass a Seattle/Tacoma tax if you want.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Senor P. posted:

There is only a couple of immediate solutions to this. One is you start rounding people up. Two you have home owners 'volunteer' to build a small 1 bedroom flat in their back yard.

The first is not morally acceptable. The second people are'nt going to want to have some weirdo wee-a-boo living with them.
I've posted about Right 2 Dream Too before, you should try to figure out what it is before mashin that post button

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

anthonypants posted:

I've posted about Right 2 Dream Too before, you should try to figure out what it is before mashin that post button

It is basically a non-profit that provides services to the dis-advantaged and also provides a homeless camp, from what I understand.

What happens when more people hear about it, come to Portland, and overwhelm the system?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Senor P. posted:

It is basically a non-profit that provides services to the dis-advantaged and also provides a homeless camp, from what I understand.

What happens when more people hear about it, come to Portland, and overwhelm the system?

Yep. Lots of people totally ready to pull up stakes and move to Portland so they can cash in on that sweet, sweet homeless camp government cheese!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Lobe posted:

Considering this is Mayor Homeless Sweeps himself, I wouldn't put it past him to take advantage of a youth in a bad position.

While I am in no way thrilled with what Murray may have done, the silver lining of this is that it may help Nikkita Oliver a more compelling candidate to more people. There's a lot to be said for not having a sexual assault scandal on your political docket in an election cycle.

I'm not a big fan of Murray either. I think he's made the homeless problem worse. I wanted McGinn to win reelection. But even if the lawsuit is unfounded, I don't know if Murray can survive it, despite him raising a lot of money for reelection.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Seattle mayors seem to have a pretty short career span in general. I don't remember the last time there was a Seattle mayor that people didn't think hadn't hosed up some particular thing badly.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor P. posted:

gently caress no! If I wanted to live in Oregon or Idaho, I'd move there. Property taxes and utility costs have gone up considerably in the area I live in. Yall can pass a Seattle/Tacoma tax if you want.

If you are complaining about an income tax that only affects income over 50k, you are part of the problem.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Senor P. posted:

No they are already caravanning to Freeatle!!!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Senor P. posted:

Senor P. posted:

Wow I don't think I've ever seen someone establish themselves as a complete shithead so fast before.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Senor P. posted:

It appears that neither this thread nor the previous thread are capable of explaining to you what Right 2 Dream Too is, and I would suggest that you seek answers elsewhere.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Peachfart posted:

If you are complaining about an income tax that only affects income over 50k, you are part of the problem.

Seeing as how I paid approximately 20% of that in federal tax, I don't think it is an issue.

Why should I pay the same tax when I work over time? (Before I moved I was routinely worked 60-70 hours a week for the last 2 years.) Compared to some techie yuppie that works in Seattle?

Why should I pay X% or more in state tax?
-I live on the East side, I deal with my local issues. Seattle can deal with theirs.
-Taxing people more does not seem to have California's problems. How will it solve Washingtons?
-Utilities costs have regularly gone up. Raises have not.

If they want to raise taxes, they can raise the sales tax or raise the gas tax.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor P. posted:

Seeing as how I pay approximately 20% of that in federal tax, I don't think it is an issue.

Why should I pay the same tax when I work over time? (Before I moved I was routinely worked 60-70 hours a week for the last 2 years.) Compared to some techie yuppie that works in Seattle?

-I live on the East side, I deal with my local issues. Seattle can deal with theirs.
-Taxing people more does not seem to have California's problems. How will it solve Washingtons?

This is impressive, I don't often see 'gently caress You, Got Mine' expressed so honestly.
Edit: Oh, I guess I will address a few questions.
Paying 20% federal income tax isn't that much. So either something is wrong with your numbers, or an income tax targeting earnings over 50k(you understand how progressive tax systems work, right?) wouldn't affect you.
Why should you pay taxes on overtime? Uh... Because it's income?
A state income tax is for the state. What does Seattle have anything to do with this? This is to raise money for education and to lower the sales tax rate.
California is actually doing really really well right now.
And what do utilities have anything to do with taxes?

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 7, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I don't even know where to start.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Senor P. posted:

Seeing as how I paid approximately 20% of that in federal tax, I don't think it is an issue.

If they want to raise taxes, they can raise the sales tax or raise the gas tax.

You just get worse and worse holy poo poo.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Peachfart posted:

This is impressive, I don't often see 'gently caress You, Got Mine' expressed so honestly.

You usually don't work 60 or 70 hours a week to have a bunch of people take away your money.

Making 70,000 a year by working 40hours a week compared to working 70 hours a week, is a HUGE god drat difference. (You can have a life working 40 hours a week. If you work 60-70hours a week, you don't have a loving life.)

I also read through the first 5 pages of this thread and there was zero reference to the Right 2 Dream Project. I look at what's on wikipedia. Is that not valid information? Jesus loving Christ, I've been slaving away for the last 2 years and get lambasted for not reading a thread because I did not have internet.

Someone provide me a clear explanation why OT should be taxed the same as straight time?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 7, 2017

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Prester Jane posted:

So I just moved from San Antonio to Portland back in August, and I simply cannot get over just how much I love this city. Tomorrow my roomate and I are celebrating the new Years by smoking some top shelf MKULTRA (A strain with a reputation for insane munchies) until we can barely stand, then taking the light rail downtown (picks up at the end of our street) and then finally stumbling our way into an all-you-can-eat Brazilian steakhouse.

What I'm saying is that I love living here and am so very grateful that a place as magical as this city actually exists.

Just now saw this holy poo poo - Welcome to Portland, Jane.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

His post is literally the below image but replace 'liberals' with 'Seattle'.

Edit: Oh, and I live in Lynnwood, not Seattle. Somehow I manage not to be money grubbing idiot that doesn't understand how taxes work.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 7, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Senor P. posted:

You usually don't work 60 or 70 hours a week to have a bunch of people take away your money.

Making 70,000 a year by working 40hours a week compared to working 70 hours a week, is a HUGE god drat difference. (You can have a life working 40 hours a week. If you work 60-70hours a week, you don't have a loving life.)

I also read through the first 5 pages of this thread and there was zero reference to the Right 2 Dream Project. I look at what's on wikipedia. Is that not valid information? Jesus loving Christ, I've been slaving away for the last 2 years and get lambasted for not reading a thread because I did not have internet.

Someone provide me a clear explanation why OT should be taxed the same as straight time?

I hate it when I'm forced to work a 70 hour week at gunpoint. Happens too often.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor P. posted:

I asked my wife who does accounting this question and she laughed really hard after asking if I was serious so I guess your answer is LOL. Hope this helps.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I hate it when I'm forced to work a 70 hour week at gunpoint. Happens too often.

Gee I better let this power plant go offline because I only want to work 40 hours this week! Its not like hospitals use electricity.

There are times where you don't get a choice of working only 40 hours. And to skimp 'your share' is putting strain on others who work there.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Senor P. posted:

Sorry your labor was exploited so heavily. Have you considered smashing capitalism? You wouldn't have to work so hard just to survive.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Sounds like you would benefit from a labor union.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor P. posted:

Gee I better let this power plant go offline because I only want to work 40 hours this week! Its not like hospitals use electricity.

It sounds like you are overworked and underpaid(making 70k working 70 hours a week means you are making like 17ish bucks an hour) but this has nothing to do with taxes.
Other than that they should be higher to pay for the education that didn't teach you how taxes work.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
Alright, please explain to me how having a Washington state tax, will magically make this place a utopia? Especially when utilities are rising like 5% a year on the East side....

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 7, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Senor P. posted:

Alright, please explain to me how having a Washington state tax, will magically make this place a utopia?

Making it a Utopia is hyperbole, however an income tax would raise revenue statewide to potentially fund a variety of poo poo that is underfunded because lol sales tax revenue shortfalls. Also Eastern Wa gets more in state tax spending per capita the Seattle and the Sound btw.

Also one reason utilities have gone up is Water/Electric have been making large infrastructure investments such as reclaimed water plants etc. Water is technically cheaper in the Southwest because gently caress resource management lets just drill for more non replaceable ground waterand anyway Utilities are divested from state tax spending?

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 7, 2017

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Jack2142 posted:

Making it a Utopia is hyperbole, however an income tax would raise revenue statewide to potentially fund a variety of poo poo that is underfunded because lol sales tax revenue shortfalls. Also Eastern Wa gets more in state tax spending per capita thsn Seattle and the Soumd btw.

Hmmm last time I checked most of the electricity generated in Washington and Oregon come from dams and wind farms along the Columbia river. Most of those dams and wind farms are on the centeral and eastern side of the state. (There also if I remember correctly, a couple of gas plants, 2 medium to large coal plans, and 1 active nuclear plant.)

Transmission lines and roads to maintain that electrical link isn't cheap. You also have the East-West interstates of I-90 and I-84 which supply a large amount of interstate commerce for Washington.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor P. posted:

Alright, please explain to me how having a Washington state tax, will magically make this place a utopia? Especially when utilities are rising like 5% a year on the East side....

Are you running your own marijuana grow? Do you have a swimming pool you empty and fill multiple times a year?
Utilities are nothing compared to housing prices here unless you leave the shower on all day or your heat at like 85.
Are you sure you live in Washington?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Senor P. posted:

Proximate Answer: Because it's income, and we tax income.

Abstract Answer: You can't have what you want unless others have it, too. Externalities and Public Goods mean that if we want a nice first-world lifestyle for ourselves, we need a government providing constant costly maintenance. If you to see what a low-tax/low-services society looks like, when the uncorrected problems are allowed to fester long enough, you're left with the bad parts of Detroit or Brazil. If you wouldn't mind living in those areas, we have different lifestyle/societal preferences and you wont find this or the next part persuasive. We'd have to shift gears to discussing what kind of society you want to live and what kind of life you want to live in and why. But if you do want to live in a nice first-world country with first-world infrastructure and neighborhoods and stability, keep on reading.

This ties into the logic of the progressive income tax and why it's better than regressive taxes overall. Reminder, progressive increases with income and regressive decreases with income:

Marginal Utility (MU) and Marginal Propensity to Consume (MPC) are important concepts here.

MU is the idea that as income increases, the utility garnered from each additional dollar starts to decrease. Baseline Cost of Living in the US ranges, basically, from $15k to $25k. Accordingly, the first $15k to $25k will be your food and shelter money. Dollars $160,001 to $170,000 will be scotch and savings money. Taxing high utility dollars, Food & Shelter money, is more harmful than low utility dollars, Scotch & Savings money.

MPC is the idea that as income increases, the proportion spent of each additional dollar starts to decrease. Your food and shelter money will get spent but your scotch and savings money will partly go toward stocks, mutual funds, REITs and other things with lower associated Velocity of Money which are therefore of lower impact on GDP. High MPC dollars are more economically stimulative than low MPC dollars, especially when the economy's suffering from low aggregate demand, which we are. Taxing high MPC dollars is more harmful than taxing low MPC dollars.

A progressive income tax scale eschews taxation of money at the low end in favor of taxation at the high end. It biases against taxing high utility, high MPC dollars in favor of low utility, low MPC dollars thus minimizing the taxation's negative impact on the population and the economy. A regressive income tax, like gas and sales tax, eschews taxing money at the high end in favor of taxing money at the low end.

And not only do they bias toward taxing high utility, high MPC dollars, they're limited by the poor's breaking point. You can't fund a first-world standard of living by regressively taxing your entire population only to the poor's breaking point. Inequality is a positive feedback loop and you'll inevitably have a citizenry too poor to fund first-world living and you will lose that.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor P. posted:

Hmmm last time I checked most of the electricity generated in Washington and Oregon come from dams and wind farms along the Columbia river. Most of those dams and wind farms are on the centeral and eastern side of the state. (There also if I remember correctly, a couple of gas plants, 2 medium to large coal plans, and 1 active nuclear plant.)

Transmission lines and roads to maintain that electrical link isn't cheap.

Maybe California can provide the electricity to Seattle...

Actually it is cheap. Washington has rather cheap electric rates because dams aren't expensive to run.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Senor P. posted:

Transmission lines and roads to maintain that electrical link isn't cheap. You also have the East-West interstates of I-90 and I-84 which supply a large amount of interstate commerce for Washington.

Uhhh... Yeah and the income tax would partially go to upgrading and maintaining this stuff its not like the state money is going into artisan dave chihuly glass pipes for crack addicted single moms in Tacoma?

Also we seriously have the cheapest electricity in the country and possibly the world in the PNW.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Washington has a high sales-tax and no income-tax. Massachusetts has a low sales-tax and a low-income tax.

Look at this:

(Source: PDF)

Washington soaks the poor hard to compensate for hardly taxing the rich at all. It's completely ridiculous and works quite poorly.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Are you running your own marijuana grow? Do you have a swimming pool you empty and fill multiple times a year?
Utilities are nothing compared to housing prices here unless you leave the shower on all day or your heat at like 85.
Are you sure you live in Washington?
No and no.

A 400 dollar utility bill in winter time is nothing to sneeze at. (The west side does not get as cold as the central/eastern parts of the state.) Then again my Dad lives in a house by himself and probably needs to downsize. Plus it also got considerably colder this year than previously. So that might be why...

I am trying to wrap my head around what you posted.

Anyway, my whole point is making 100k (or more) working 40 hours a week in an office, is a lot different than making 100k (or more) working 60 hours a week working Construction. So why are they taxed the same?

Jack2142 posted:

Uhhh... Yeah and the income tax would partially go to upgrading and maintaining this stuff its not like the state money is going into artisan dave chihuly glass pipes for crack addicted single moms in Tacoma?

Also we seriously have the cheapest electricity in the country and possibly the world in the PNW.

You're correct we do have some of the chepeast electricity. However in the last 10 years I've seen noticable growth of the price. Typically 2-5% increase per year. (I've petitoned my utility provider for some records to verify this going back to 1980, but I suspect I'm right.) Older homes leak heat like a sieve. And there is only so much you can do. (Add insulation to attic, pellet stove, new windows, new doors, additional exterior layer...) A lot of places in PNW use electricity for their heat, not gas. Or coal. (LOL.)

Accretionist posted:

Washington has a high sales-tax and no income-tax. Massachusetts has a low sales-tax and a low-income tax.

Look at this:

(Source: PDF)

Washington soaks the poor hard to compensate for hardly taxing the rich at all. It's completely ridiculous and works quite poorly.
I still think this is an East vs. West problem. How many rich people live in say the greater Seattle area compared to East of the cascades? How much money is anchored on that rich enclave, Mercer Island? The fact of the matter, most of the money is on the West Side.

With the exception of wineries, electricity, and Hanford. The East ain't got poo poo. (There are a few small time manufacturing operations and mining, but not a lot.) Most of Washington's trade goes West across the Pacific Ocean, or South to California.

Farm country and tumbleweeds are not exactly flush with cash.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 7, 2017

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Aren't state income taxes deductible with respect to federal taxes anyway? I know it's not a one to one exchange, but I certainly wouldn't mind what amounts to some of our federal funding staying home. The improvement in our insanely regressive taxes would also be a huge relief to many as well. And besides, diversifying sources of revenue makes it more stable in general.

That being said, I think Senior P makes a rather interesting point. If you're working insane hours or in labor intensive positions, it really takes a toll. I can certainly see how the basic costs go up when you have little time or energy from having worked so hard. I'm not sure how to translate that into a meaningful legislative solution, but I think folks are being awfully reactionary to just call it "FYGM".

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Solkanar512 posted:

That being said, I think Senior P makes a rather interesting point. If you're working insane hours or in labor intensive positions, it really takes a toll. I can certainly see how the basic costs go up when you have little time or energy from having worked so hard. I'm not sure how to translate that into a meaningful legislative solution, but I think folks are being awfully reactionary to just call it "FYGM".
If you're working long hours it's either because 1) You want to work long hours or 2) You need to work long hours to live. People who 1) perhaps need therapy, but I don't see why they deserve a tax break and people who 2) should fall below whatever minimum income is for our state income tax, and therefore not be concerned about how overtime is taxed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Solkanar512 posted:

Aren't state income taxes deductible with respect to federal taxes anyway? I know it's not a one to one exchange, but I certainly wouldn't mind what amounts to some of our federal funding staying home. The improvement in our insanely regressive taxes would also be a huge relief to many as well. And besides, diversifying sources of revenue makes it more stable in general.

You can deduct state sales tax too, however if your state has both you can only deduct one or tje other. However this is itemizeable only so lol gently caress poor people who dont itemize. (Not because they dont know how they dont have the deductible expenses)

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 7, 2017