Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's exactly that. My house has these instead which are pretty loving stiff and light as hell. Easy as piss to run cables and pipes through them as well, obviously.

Steel and trusses make the best houses.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

funny Star Wars parody posted:

on the other hand Uber is a lovely company run by lovely people and I can't wait to watch it blow up

They seem to be working pretty hard at that part!
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/uber-said-to-use-sophisticated-software-to-defraud-drivers-passengers/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Powershift posted:

Uber is operating a loss to create a monopoly they're expecting to exploit with automation.

They are exploiting their workforce with the expectation they'll be replaced before the money dries up. Their current lovely actions are barely relevant to the expectations set out by their business model.

Automated private mass transit is the solution to the "75% of the country that isn't densely built up urban areas" It isn't affordable to have 30 passenger busses going to bus stops, but a 10 passenger vehicle costing you 10 minutes to stop at yours and a few other people's front doors would be once that vehicle is automated, communal and electric.

A lot of people here seem to defend their steering wheel emotionally, and that makes them blind to the requirements of the larger percentage of the population forced nearly against their will to hold a steering wheel by a country built around a car.

Your '10 passenger vehicles' are assuming a density equivalent to suburbs.

Think the 1950's bus system instead, where we're talking a few miles walking to the stop to get sufficient density to be worth a drive.

The country west of the Mississippi, with the exception of the Pacific coast, is really, really loving empty.

This is the most recent copy they've got on census.gov :

Note the huge swaths of the country with a population density less than 100 people per square mile, and less than 20 people per square mile in most of the West.

That 'costing you 10 minutes to stop at yours and a few other people's front doors' is more like 'costing you a few hours' when those doors are a couple miles apart, and the town you're trying to get to is a few miles the other direction from your neighbor's place.

Not to mention the question of how you haul anything bigger than a couple day's shopping back on that 10 person bus. Or who's paying for the bus, since the property taxes of a few hundred people served by that small town but mostly outside of its statutory borders aren't going to pay for a lot.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

on the other hand Uber is a lovely company run by lovely people and I can't wait to watch it blow up

If only that was all it took to sink a company :(

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Just went for a swim in the bathroom thread and boy, did that deliver.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ether Frenzy posted:

No, there's minicabs here. They're called 'Every cab company' though, because there is no such thing as a London Black Cab concept that exceeds the 'generally poo poo service, on their schedule' you get from UK minicabs and cab companies in the US. Which is how Uber managed to claw a foothold - because if you call the local minicab company and it's a 45 minute wait before Steve McDonald can get over to you, it's exactly the same thing as calling any of the 'cab companies' in the US. Uber solved that.

I had a minicab from NW6 once where he didn't know how to get to Harrod's and I had to direct him, which is exactly like getting a medallion'd yellow cab in NYC and he won't know how to get to Central Park. (this happens too)
Ah, this may be where there's a slight misunderstanding. Minicab isn't "normal car" versus "black cab" taxi, it's a licensing difference. A minicab is "private hire", you cannot hail them on the street, you have to book them (this can just mean yelling "OI MATE I NEED TO GET TO THE STATION" through the open door of their office), while a "hackney carriage" can pickup fares at will. Although the traditional black cab is often used because it's been very specifically optimised for the purpose - and thus is generally the best choice - you don't have to use one.

stump posted:

Been driving this all week. 1.0t 100ps 5 speed manual. Very impressed. Not quick, but considering it's the base engine it's utterly adequate. Pulls nicely from 40 to 90 in third, torque curve is flat but just enough.

Handles well, plenty of bum feedback but bugger all through the steering. 43mph over 360 miles which isn't bad considering I would get about the same from a diesel on the same run.

Interior is half nice and half cheap poo poo, sync works fine but speakers were crap. Doesn't have cruise control though.
I loved the 125bhp Fiesta Ecoboost I had recently - again, no cruise control, bit of a silly omission in my opinion. Not sure about a lower powered Focus, but the engine itself is impressive.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Ah, this may be where there's a slight misunderstanding. Minicab isn't "normal car" versus "black cab" taxi, it's a licensing difference. A minicab is "private hire", you cannot hail them on the street, you have to book them (this can just mean yelling "OI MATE I NEED TO GET TO THE STATION" through the open door of their office), while a "hackney carriage" can pickup fares at will. Although the traditional black cab is often used because it's been very specifically optimised for the purpose - and thus is generally the best choice - you don't have to use one.

I loved the 125bhp Fiesta Ecoboost I had recently - again, no cruise control, bit of a silly omission in my opinion. Not sure about a lower powered Focus, but the engine itself is impressive.

Yeah, that's most of the US. Outside of the dense city centers, you call a cab company and they dispatch, they rarely if ever take hails on the street (because that's a great way to get carjacked).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Your '10 passenger vehicles' are assuming a density equivalent to suburbs.

Think the 1950's bus system instead, where we're talking a few miles walking to the stop to get sufficient density to be worth a drive.

The country west of the Mississippi, with the exception of the Pacific coast, is really, really loving empty.

This is the most recent copy they've got on census.gov :

Note the huge swaths of the country with a population density less than 100 people per square mile, and less than 20 people per square mile in most of the West.

That 'costing you 10 minutes to stop at yours and a few other people's front doors' is more like 'costing you a few hours' when those doors are a couple miles apart, and the town you're trying to get to is a few miles the other direction from your neighbor's place.

Not to mention the question of how you haul anything bigger than a couple day's shopping back on that 10 person bus. Or who's paying for the bus, since the property taxes of a few hundred people served by that small town but mostly outside of its statutory borders aren't going to pay for a lot.

Those huge swaths of country with less than 20 people per square mile don't have anybody in them to pick up and drive anywhere. Even if they did, those people don't have anywhere to go, that's why they're out there. You can't say a system that will work for 80% of the population can't succeed because it doesn't work for the other 20%. Use of these services won't be mandatory, and won't be the only option, but for most people will be the cheapest. IF you click on my quote of your claim of 75% of the country, you'll see a map of where 80% actually live. gently caress the other 20%

You are paying for the bus through your subscription to the service, or per-ride cost, just like ride sharing services now.

You're like an angry old man arguing that cell phones will never work because they can't have a tower in bumfuck wyoming on day 1. Computers will never replace typewriters because nobody wants to stare at a screen all day. Digital cameras will never catch on because they'll never match the resolution and warmth of film. get off my lawn.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, that's most of the US. Outside of the dense city centers, you call a cab company and they dispatch, they rarely if ever take hails on the street (because that's a great way to get carjacked).
But they legally can, and have licence/regulatory oversight to go with that, yes? That's the difference. If I understand correctly, you lacked that existing lower-level "pre-book only, and thus not a licensed taxi" element which Uber is plugging.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Watch Humans Need Not Apply, a lot of this automation discussion is fleshed out fairly well for a 15 minute explanation aimed at the average reddit user

The simple fact of the matter is this: Robots don't need to be perfect, they just need to be better than a human. Most individuals won't like it, but that's not an especially large threshold, considering how fallible we are. Look at the number accidents due to inattentiveness or intoxication, every insurance company is going to want automated cars, since they're going to cost less in insurance payouts. Every single business will lose people to automation, but transportation will put up the biggest, most visible fight against the automation. Fight as much as they want to, a truck driver just cannot compete with a robotic truck that would use less fuel, can't be distracted, doesn't need to eat, doesn't need sleep, doesn't need benefits of any kind, and costs less to insure.

What's even better for businesses about automation that no one really acknowledges is that machines can learn collectively. As soon as one machine has an "experience", any other machine connected can share that same experience and do the job without having to have ever performed it before. Working knowledge of a trade that would take years for humans to learn and weeks to properly train a replacement could be done in less than an hour when installing a network of automated workers.

Long term, there's not enough public outcry in the world that will make human workers more attractive to business than a machine, except for niche applications

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I know Dallas itself allows cab companies to take a hail, but I can't say I've ever seen it happen.

Getting a cab here is either call them and wait for an hour or three, or use Uber/Lyft.

Powershift posted:

You are paying for the bus through your subscription to the service, or per-ride cost, just like ride sharing services now.

I know DART is funded partly through taxes, partly through rider fares. Mostly taxes, I believe, which is why they only operate in 13 (out of hundreds) of cities in DFW.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 7, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I love Uber but I am a soulless drone who doesn't see a problem with whatever the drivers get paid since no one is forcing them to do it. My town doesn't have Uber but we do have dirt cheap cabs but guess what? They are 500k mile Prii driven by chainsmoking meth heads and it takes an hour or more to get picked up (that is if they don't forget all about you). Going to a bigger town and using Uber is always a pleasure. Plus going out its either cheaper or same price as paying to park downtown.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

Watch Humans Need Not Apply, a lot of this automation discussion is fleshed out fairly well for a 15 minute explanation aimed at the average reddit user

The simple fact of the matter is this: Robots don't need to be perfect, they just need to be better than a human. Most individuals won't like it, but that's not an especially large threshold, considering how fallible we are. Look at the number accidents due to inattentiveness or intoxication, every insurance company is going to want automated cars, since they're going to cost less in insurance payouts. Every single business will lose people to automation, but transportation will put up the biggest, most visible fight against the automation. Fight as much as they want to, a truck driver just cannot compete with a robotic truck that would use less fuel, can't be distracted, doesn't need to eat, doesn't need sleep, doesn't need benefits of any kind, and costs less to insure.

What's even better for businesses about automation that no one really acknowledges is that machines can learn collectively. As soon as one machine has an "experience", any other machine connected can share that same experience and do the job without having to have ever performed it before. Working knowledge of a trade that would take years for humans to learn and weeks to properly train a replacement could be done in less than an hour when installing a network of automated workers.

Long term, there's not enough public outcry in the world that will make human workers more attractive to business than a machine, except for niche applications

Yes, I'm sure insurance companies will be all for it, just as soon as a automated vehicle can reliably do all of those things in real world conditions. Just like the transportation companies will be all for it just as soon as the price of something that capable is within their reach, as opposed to a human that you only have to pay when they're doing work. Also making an even more massive capital investment up front and eating depreciation and maintenance on trucks that are now vastly more complicated and must be maintained in better condition. Oh, and they're ready to shoulder the higher insurance costs as well, given that the insurers are being asked to cover vastly more expensive trucks.

Of course, I'm just pulling numbers out of my rear end here, same as you are, because the technology flatly does not exist yet.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That moment when you're listening to the police radio and an officer announces he's locked himself out of his car and needs someone to bring a key.. :haw:

I'm surprised I didn't hear more laughter. Not really surprised to hear they have a lot of their cars keyed alike though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the tech will be around in the next 15 years, the cost will go down 15 years after that, and they'll finally give automated traffic their own lane five or ten years after that

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

the tech will be around in the next 15 years, the cost will go down 15 years after that, and they'll finally give automated traffic their own lane five or ten years after that

Seems a bit more reasonable. Watching that video's hilarious. It's like reading Yud's bullshit about how general-purpose AI that's capable of functioning on a human level is 'just around the corner'. Trying to extrapolate general-purpose robots or general-purpose AI off of the speed with which general purpose computing expanded is laughable.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't believe people are posting on the internet from their phone while sitting on the toilet talking about how slow technology is going to move.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

I can't believe people are posting on the internet from their phone while sitting on the toilet talking about how slow technology is going to move.

there is a massive, massive different between developing hardware and software that accept commands and perform actions vs developing software that is supposed to resemble a human's thought process or accept 200 data inputs and be able to make a split second decision

like ya the CPUs are getting there or already there to be able to process it but getting software to do the same thing is a whole different level

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Machines are only as smart as the person who designed and programmed it. I guess once they replicate and program themselves we have a real problem.

Personally I can't wait to have automated semi's. They can and will easily be programmed to STAY IN THE loving RIGHT LANE instead of trying to pass the next one because it's going 55 instead of 56 up a hill on a 70mph 2 lane interstate.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I for one cannot wait for cheap automated suburban transportation. I think reading a book or something during my commute is a much more efficient use of my time then piloting a vehicle myself

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

there is a massive, massive different between developing hardware and software that accept commands and perform actions vs developing software that is supposed to resemble a human's thought process or accept 200 data inputs and be able to make a split second decision

like ya the CPUs are getting there or already there to be able to process it but getting software to do the same thing is a whole different level

You don't have to resemble the human thought process. For a burger flipping robot, it needs a camera to gauge meat color and consistency, a thermal probe for meat temperature, and an arm with a spatula, and it'll produce a better result more often than a minimum wage human.

It's not some switch that'll be flipped, it's a gradual change that we're already in the middle of, just ask your local film developer or assembly line worker.

And not every job will be replaced, but enough will and arguably enough have been that there won't be enough work for everybody to do, and there has to be an alternative for those people besides "starve to death"

rdb posted:

Machines are only as smart as the person who designed and programmed it. I guess once they replicate and program themselves we have a real problem.

Personally I can't wait to have automated semi's. They can and will easily be programmed to STAY IN THE loving RIGHT LANE instead of trying to pass the next one because it's going 55 instead of 56 up a hill on a 70mph 2 lane interstate.

Think bigger, broader, deeper. 40% of trucking cost is the driver/insurance, 31% is fuel. once the vehicle is electric at a fraction of the cost and driverless, there's no need to maximize it's load. Instead of 1 53 foot trailer loaded to 80,000lbs going to a warehouse to then be broken up for smaller deliveries, there could be 4 trucks each hauling 20,000lbs going directly from source to destination, traveling in coordinated dynamic convoys on the highway for efficiency. Traveling through populated centers at night to minimize efficiency losses due to traffic and traffic disruption. Staying off the road at rush hour because they don't have to maximize their 15 hour shift.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I for one cannot wait for cheap automated suburban transportation. I think reading a book or something during my commute is a much more efficient use of my time then piloting a vehicle myself

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I live having a steering wheel, but i'll be much happier once the people who are already reading a book on their commute don't have one of their own.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

there has to be an alternative for those people besides "starve to death"

Soylent Green.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

FUCKKKKKKKK I missed out on a sweet vise today :(

But where will you keep your dick?

fridge corn posted:

hello i am agreeing with fridge corn

Liquid Communism posted:

I can't speak for most of the west but at least for Arizona, that data is somewhat misleading. Maricopa County and Pinal County (Phoenix and Tucson respectively) are both loving huge, yes, but they also include large areas of land that are unpopulated. I'd say at least 50% of Maricopa county is straight up desert. The entire Phoenix Metro area is over 300 people per square mile, and both Phoenix and Tucson proper are over 2500 people per square mile.

We do have a mass transportation problem here, but I suspect that some form of automated ridesharing could at least make a dent in it. The problem is that there are too many possible viable routes and not enough riders on any one of them to justify running empty large busses.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Liquid Communism posted:

Gonna say the same thing that I always do : Labor is not free. It costs a amount of money (the living wage) to sustain a worker and allow them to provide the labor. If you can't afford the labor, then your business is unsustainable and you need to GTFO the market.
This I agree with. But the solution to "poo poo, labor is expensive, lets automate everything" is not "lets make labor more expensive!" There are good reasons to increase the minimum wage. A counter to automation it is not. Minimum wage jobs are supposed to be for high schoolers, they're not for the single mom to live off of, even in triplicate.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

This I agree with. But the solution to "poo poo, labor is expensive, lets automate everything" is not "lets make labor more expensive!" There are good reasons to increase the minimum wage. A counter to automation it is not. Minimum wage jobs are supposed to be for high schoolers, they're not for the single mom to live off of, even in triplicate.

Making labor more expensive is not a response to automation, it's a response to the minimum wage not keeping par with cost of living or inflation.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

ilkhan posted:

You're right that increasing the minimum wage is not a solution to the problem of increased automation driving out unskilled human labor.

Where you're fundamentally, laughably wrong is in saying that minimum wage is "supposed to be for high schoolers." That's blatantly false. Minimum wage laws were fought for by organized labor throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries to ensure that anyone (at that time, typically, "any man") could work his one job and afford to live without privation. Additionally, typically, they were first designed so that only one income earner (again, usually the man/husband) could provide for a stay-at-home wife (who may have supplemented that income only minimally through taking in mending or washing) and multiple children at home.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jesus, I missed that bit.

Yeah, let me quote from the man himself, President Franklin D. Roosevelt, back in the 1930's when the minimum wage was first implemented.

"It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living. "(1933, Statement on National Industrial Recovery Act)

“Do not let any calamity-howling executive with an income of $1,000 a day, who has been turning his employees over to the Government relief rolls in order to preserve his company’s undistributed reserves, tell you – using his stockholders’ money to pay the postage for his personal opinions — tell you that a wage of $11.00 a week is going to have a disastrous effect on all American industry.” (1938, Fireside Chat, the night before signing the Fair Labor Standards Act that instituted the federal minimum wage)

Anyone who tries to tell you the minimum wage is about 'Highschoolers' badly needs some remedial history instruction.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

Anyone who tries to tell you the minimum wage is about 'Highschoolers' badly needs some remedial history instruction.

inevitably it comes back to these shitheads saying its a good wage for high schoolers and if you're an adult making minimum wage you're a gently caress up who deserves it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

here in southeast michigan we have 1 (maybe two) lovely bus systems that cover only a tiny portion of the metro area so it can take several hours to go 15 miles and require multiple bus transfers

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Magnus Praeda posted:

You're right that increasing the minimum wage is not a solution to the problem of increased automation driving out unskilled human labor.

Where you're fundamentally, laughably wrong is in saying that minimum wage is "supposed to be for high schoolers." That's blatantly false. Minimum wage laws were fought for by organized labor throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries to ensure that anyone (at that time, typically, "any man") could work his one job and afford to live without privation. Additionally, typically, they were first designed so that only one income earner (again, usually the man/husband) could provide for a stay-at-home wife (who may have supplemented that income only minimally through taking in mending or washing) and multiple children at home.
So split the min wage into heads of household and no depends, or something. If you are trying to support a family on minimum wage you are doing life wrong. Regardless of how it was first intended. But even doing that is going to further separate part timers from full timers, and give more incentives to hire two part time employees instead of one full time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ilkhan posted:

If you are trying to support a family on minimum wage you are doing life wrong.
There is no scenario in which trying to support your family by having a job is "doing life wrong". Save that attitude for people who think it's a good idea to have multiple kids despite having not had a job for the best part of a decade.

It's not unreasonable to believe that the system working should mean that 40hrs a week gets you a roof over your head and three squares a day, without keeping you awake at night over the fiscal gymnastics required to do so.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

If you are trying to support a family on minimum wage you are doing life wrong.

Yeah - finding a decent paying job is really easy. It's not like hiring managers still expect 10 years experience and a master's degree for entry level positions or anything oh wai...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geoj posted:

Yeah - finding a decent paying job is really easy. It's not like hiring managers still expect 10 years experience and a master's degree for entry level positions or anything oh wai...

Just buy more money, stupid.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

So split the min wage into heads of household and no depends, or something. If you are trying to support a family on minimum wage you are doing life wrong.

If you can't run a business while being required to pay a living wage, you are doing business wrong, and are a negative on the economy as a whole by removing your workers from the customer pool for other businesses due to keeping them in abject poverty.

40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year at the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour is $15,080 before any taxes or pre-tax deductions for healthcare.

The federal poverty line is $12060 for a single person without any dependents. Conveniently, the most common figure for public assistance programs seems to be 125% of the federal poverty line, which is.... $15075. That is, however, below the threshold for Medicare, which is at 138% of the poverty line, and SNAP, which is 130% of the poverty line gross.

So assuming our theoretical employee has no dependents, pays no taxes, and somehow avoids the legal requirement to carry health insurance while also never missing an hour of work all year, they are on paper not in poverty!

Hilariously, the federal government has a separate minimum wage for contractors on any federal project. It's $10.20 per hour, and $6.80 plus tips for tipped positions.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mcdonalds has you covered though, it's all about budgeting.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
:lol: "monthly" amounts like $600 for rent, free heating costs, $100 combined homeowners/renters and car insurance and $20 for health insurance.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 8, 2017

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Geoj posted:

My favorite is seeing job postings in IT advertising things like "needs 5 years of experience in x" and x has only been around for 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ehh.. I have electric heat, and if you average my electric bill out across the year, $90/mo is pretty accurate. My renters/car insurance combined runs $110, and I pay $26 for medical (only that cheap because I have lovely insurance that nobody takes, plus a decent subsidy).

The rest is hilariously out there.

e: I'm pretty sure Papa John's used to include the exact same "budget" in their employee handbooks. Whole Foods had something similar too.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 8, 2017

• Locked thread