Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I have no idea where this is supposed to be but all I can think of is the LA River.

I didn't know that was an actual river until today. I assumed it was some kind of drainage complex (which I suppose you could call a natural river).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I didn't know that was an actual river until today. I assumed it was some kind of drainage complex (which I suppose you could call a natural river).

"If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Anyway, Telnaes on the Syria attack:

And Bell on Sessions:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm honestly amazed this is the thing that got Garrison to turn on Trump.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

That's not really how I interpreted it.

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

"Hold my Diet Coke."

*Whips out phone, dials*

"Yeah Putin, I'm about to bomb Syria."

Assad: "I'm standing right here."

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So "Racist" and "Liberal" are equally damning insults to Stiglich.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Mr. Squishy posted:

e: gravel beaches and groyns are just what the beach is over here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo8uj5Y8Xpk

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This is one of the edits, from 2007 (thanks to Aardmania in BSS for digging it up):

There's at least one more, which is more involved, but I haven't been able to locate it yet.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm honestly amazed this is the thing that got Garrison to turn on Trump.

I think he thinks that the "deep state" Illuminati are manipulating him with a false flag attack or some poo poo like that

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I'm sure all those cartoonists will acknowledge that we didn't actually destroy that airfield and Assad is still using it to launch strikes from.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

That's not really how I interpreted it.

Yeah, it's clearly saying McCaine is misleading the great and wonderful.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

Trump ended Obama’s war on coal, as promised. Come to think of it, I don’t know why Obama declared the war in the first place. Or why Hillary signed on for it. The natural gas industry went to war against coal for them. Gas is cheap, clean, and – despite President Obama’s efforts – plentiful.

So, looks like a rout.

Chip Bok posted:

Well, Chuck Schumer went with the filibuster. And that caused the Democrats to self-immolate when Mitch McConnell applied the nuclear option. Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch rose from the ashes.

Here’s how they voted.

Now that the filibuster has been vaporized, Senate Democrats are defenseless against the Republican majority’s future high court whims. Which does make for a nice fund raising theme. Not to mention that Republicans will be in the same boat when the tide turns.

Chip Bok posted:

As expected, Mitch McConnell pulled the trigger and made Chuck Schumer’s filibuster glow in the dark. As for the boy in the husky pants who runs North Korea: he’s keeping his nuclear options open for now.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wow. Two of those Bok opinions aren't complete poo poo. Crazy times.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Gee, Chip, it's almost like Obama never actually really declared "War on Coal" and it's just the way we loving make energy has changed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Also I'm struggling to keep up with all the stuff going on; did Susan Rice actually do something illegal in her actions towards the White House or what?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Also I'm struggling to keep up with all the stuff going on; did Susan Rice actually do something illegal in her actions towards the White House or what?

Nope

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Why is this timing significant?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm actually surprised that Garrison wasn't the biggest Trump shill around, I guess Branco holds the title. I'd almost say this makes him the dumbest cartoonist in the thread, but then I don't think I've seen a Rob Smith Jr. cartoon about Trump recently.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Internet Kraken posted:

Nothing illegal. She lied in a TV interview saying she wasn't seeking to unmask certain suspected members of the Trump campaign who were involved with Russia when she actually was. Lying about it was a stupid thing to do as far as I can tell because she wasn't violating any laws or ethical boundaries in seeking unmasking, but lying makes it look sketchier than it actually is and gives Republicans ammo.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm actually surprised that Garrison wasn't the biggest Trump shill around, I guess Branco holds the title. I'd almost say this makes him the dumbest cartoonist in the thread, but then I don't think I've seen a Rob Smith Jr. cartoon about Trump recently.

The attempt would lead to instant brain death.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
By Gentle Ben's next cartoon he'll definitely have caught up with the alt-right's narrative: The Syrian attack was orchestrated by Jared Kuchner due to his nefarious Jewish GLOBALIST allegiances*, and brave Steve Bannon stood against it. Trump must therefore fire Jared and Keep Bannon.

* Fun game! Go delve on Twitter's #FireKushner hashtag and count how many straight-up "fire Jared the jew" tweets by Trumpists you can count in one minute!

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Has Garrison drawn a buff, manly Bannon yet?

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Faustian Bargain posted:

Has Garrison drawn a buff, manly Bannon yet?

I think healthy would be the most outrageous. I love that nearly every politoon I've seen with him shows him as a corpse.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
So far not a single pro-Trump cartoonist has depicted or made mention of Bannon, at least to my knowledge.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

SexyBlindfold posted:

So far not a single pro-Trump cartoonist has depicted or made mention of Bannon, at least to my knowledge.

I think red panels did at one point

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

SexyBlindfold posted:

Red Panels did, he was just kinda frumpy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SSNeoman posted:

Wow. Two of those Bok opinions aren't complete poo poo. Crazy times.

It's kinda crazy he seems to be the only to realize the full effect of the nuclear option. Everyone else was drawing it up as this big thing and it is, but none of them seem to realize it could turn around and be an advantage for Democrats.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pakled posted:

Nothing illegal. She lied in a TV interview saying she wasn't seeking to unmask certain suspected members of the Trump campaign who were involved with Russia when she actually was. Lying about it was a stupid thing to do as far as I can tell because she wasn't violating any laws or ethical boundaries in seeking unmasking, but lying makes it look sketchier than it actually is and gives Republicans ammo.

That depends on what she requested, if she asked which were Trump people, that'd be a lie, but if she wanted to know who was dealing with Russia, it wasn't.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

CampingCarl posted:

Why is this timing significant?

Because most historians think the story of Jewish slaves building the Pyramids is hooey -- the Pyramids, aside from a couple latecomers, were built around 2600-1700 BC, and Israel didn't exist until 1200-1100 BC. (And the pyramid builders weren't slaves, either.)

So a pyramid that was built close to the date of the Exodus would poke a hole in that theory, and could be seen as confirmation of the Biblical account.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

WORST

ANIMORPHS

BOOK

EVER

edit: also add joke here about Trump irreversibly turning into a hawk

DallaDalla
Jan 24, 2006
HollaHolla!

Selachian posted:

Because most historians think the story of Jewish slaves building the Pyramids is hooey -- the Pyramids, aside from a couple latecomers, were built around 2600-1700 BC, and Israel didn't exist until 1200-1100 BC. (And the pyramid builders weren't slaves, either.)

So a pyramid that was built close to the date of the Exodus would poke a hole in that theory, and could be seen as confirmation of the Biblical account.

There was no mention of an Israeli subgroup or tribe until the time of Ramses II's successor, Merneptah, circa 1225 BC. They looooved to ritually and artistically depict their conquered enemies, and they have nothing to list for them until then, which would be strange given that we have fairly detailed records from ~ 1350 BC onward thanks to the Armana letters, as well as duplicate records from places like Hattusas and Ebla.

Pyramids were built through forced corvee labor, which pulled agricultural workers out of their districts for 3-4 months a year after the crops were planted but before the harvest. There are records of how corvee labor was used from different eras of Egyptian history.

Most impactful for me, however, was the absence of the word 'slave' until the Persian conquest circa 700BC. Until that time, forced labor was used for prisoners of war, however, they were not property, nor were their progeny. They were owed labor to the state/their employer for a certain period as a result of being captured or exchanged after the war as part of the booty or treaty. After their labor contract was finished, they were free citizens, allowed to leave or become full Egyptian citizens.

So I guess the quibbles some have are semantic, but it's strange that the Egyptians wouldn't mention a) the tribe they conquered and b) never describe the events of the Exodus (as they recorded everything else, good and bad).

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

DallaDalla posted:

There was no mention of an Israeli subgroup or tribe until the time of Ramses II's successor, Merneptah, circa 1225 BC. They looooved to ritually and artistically depict their conquered enemies, and they have nothing to list for them until then, which would be strange given that we have fairly detailed records from ~ 1350 BC onward thanks to the Armana letters, as well as duplicate records from places like Hattusas and Ebla.

Pyramids were built through forced corvee labor, which pulled agricultural workers out of their districts for 3-4 months a year after the crops were planted but before the harvest. There are records of how corvee labor was used from different eras of Egyptian history.

Most impactful for me, however, was the absence of the word 'slave' until the Persian conquest circa 700BC. Until that time, forced labor was used for prisoners of war, however, they were not property, nor were their progeny. They were owed labor to the state/their employer for a certain period as a result of being captured or exchanged after the war as part of the booty or treaty. After their labor contract was finished, they were free citizens, allowed to leave or become full Egyptian citizens.

So I guess the quibbles some have are semantic, but it's strange that the Egyptians wouldn't mention a) the tribe they conquered and b) never describe the events of the Exodus (as they recorded everything else, good and bad).

So... some sort of "You owe us a hundred grand, you can either get a real job and pay it off slow or work for us for a thousand dollars an hour that can only be spent on that debt" sort of dealio?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Mitsuo posted:

edit: also add joke here about the USA irreversibly turning into a corncob

:dril:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Tinsley lives for nothing, dies for nothing.

DallaDalla
Jan 24, 2006
HollaHolla!

Somfin posted:

So... some sort of "You owe us a hundred grand, you can either get a real job and pay it off slow or work for us for a thousand dollars an hour that can only be spent on that debt" sort of dealio?

It was similar to the indentured servitude of the early settlers of North America; they didn't get to decide where they worked, essentially their 'contract' (I don't believe a personalized document would exist for each POW - that would have been insane for record-keeping, it would be for hundreds or thousands at a time) would be in the possession of the Pharaoh first, then he would 'grant' them to places like Temples or Mines as laborers.

Again it's kinda semantic, but there are different records of using the Egyptian word "hm" in different context, which some politicize as the word "slave", others as "servant". It is possible a more European/American conception of slavery existed, but it's very limited in evidence.
Egyptians would adopt, marry, procreate with these POWs, they would use them to break rocks or become trusted government officers (Ramses III did this, "I made door-keepers of the slaves, manned with people, in order to watch and protect thy court... ").

So for the Exodus, it doesn't jibe. An entire tribe came and settled in Egypt (Jacob and his brothers) and were prosperous there. They did not come as POWs, so they would not have been made into servants. There are myriad of examples of foreigners coming to Egypt and making it their home; they were a fairly egalitarian society. The Bible says that some new Pharaoh decided to hate them for their prosperity, but that had never happened in Egypt in its historical record, nor had they reason to persecute a group within Egypt.

and lastly omg I hate it - THE BIBLE DOESN'T SAY THEY BUILT PYRAMIDS. Exodus 1:11 "So they put slave masters over them to oppress them with forced labor, and they built Pithom and Rameses as store cities for Pharaoh." They built cities. The pyramids are irrelevant.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The Majority party treating the Minority party like lowly bellhops is indeed a shocking lack of decorum and beneath the dignity of the Senate. A good cartoon.

Additionally, gently caress yourself, Pramirez.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

From Venezuela

From France

From Austria

From Russia

From Austria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Office Pig posted:

Tinsley lives for nothing, dies for nothing.

"Someone has more charisma and humor than me, however meager theirs may be they must be crushed for it."

• Locked thread