Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Barent posted:

Got back into this because of expansion, trying a pacifist build. Got trounced by another empire with 10k fleet strength compared to my 1k. Is there any way for a peaceful empire to defend against this that i'm missing? I tried federation but didn't get enough members in time.

Defensive pacts can be easier to get than federations sometimes, but the two are mutually exclusive. Focus on pacts until you have some friends who are also friends with each other, then launch into a federation, or join someone else's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Are federations still the #1 way to make sure nothing ever gets done?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What are missiles like now? I wanna make a few missile battleships to sprinkle around just because i love seeing a massive amount of missles in the air, but not if they are terrible still.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm still salty over the pacifist AI in my 1.4 game that was happy to go along with our individualist cycle of liberate -> associate -> invite to federation, until they suddenly stopped agreeing to anything. Thanks for ruining it all, you jerks :mad:

Broke one of the largest empires on the map into two parts, cockblocked from inviting the liberated half into our federation, and it ended up forming a federation with its other half.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dongattack posted:

What are missiles like now? I wanna make a few missile battleships to sprinkle around just because i love seeing a massive amount of missles in the air, but not if they are terrible still.

They got a bunch of buffs, I don't think anyone has reported any combat results since the patch. You can be the guy that finds out if they are terrible still or not, but they should be stronger - faster ROF, more missile damage, shorter firing animation, shot doesn't get 'wasted' if target dies during firing animation.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rakthar posted:

They got a bunch of buffs, I don't think anyone has reported any combat results since the patch. You can be the guy that finds out if they are terrible still or not, but they should be stronger - faster ROF, more missile damage, shorter firing animation, shot doesn't get 'wasted' if target dies during firing animation.

I'm using them right now because the very angry, militaristic, xenophobic plant monsters next door have strong shields and my lasers aren't doing poo poo to them.

I'm still losing...but not as badly as I did when I used lasers.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Missiles do seem stronger now - they're not immediately shut down by any form of PD. However, I'm not sure my PD is currently firing - I haven't seen a single missile get shot down in 1.5. Enemy missiles have had a 100% hit rate according to the stats.

Disabling PD would help missiles but seems a little excessive.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Is it still possible to eventually pick up psionic techs without going spiritualist (e.g., via a scientist leveling up and gaining the psi trait)?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
My PD are definitely firing, my fanatic purifiers fleet hasn't let a missile through in 70 years. I'm using rank 1 sentinel PD, what do you have?

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Has there been a big nerf to energy weapons lately? It seems like almost none of the energy weapons are worth slotting for the most part, although I suppose it depends on your force composition...

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Hihohe posted:

Holy poo poo ! How does this fucker with 7 planets have a 9000 fleet. i can only muster 3000 at the most and we are the same technologically speaking!

The AI is designed to treat player controlled empires as if they are completely unpredictable and could attack at any moment. Whenever they border against a human player, they will quickly build as many ships as their economy can support without bankrupting themselves.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

My PD are definitely firing, my fanatic purifiers fleet hasn't let a missile through in 70 years. I'm using rank 1 sentinel PD, what do you have?

The same. Perhaps I just need to stack more on my Destroyers in this brave new world. Going to try Flak next.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

VirtualStranger posted:

The AI is designed to treat player controlled empires as if they are completely unpredictable and could attack at any moment. Whenever they border against a human player, they will quickly build as many ships as their economy can support without bankrupting themselves.

So pretty much a reasonable preparation then.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Just waiting for the megacorp civic option to get fixed so I can truly make the New Economic Block.

Screamers is a good film okay :ohdear:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
how's it broken?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
It was posted a few pages back you have to be egalitarian to get the trait and it was an oversight.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Some of the Ascenscion Perks are a bit weak. Went for Consecrated Worlds as I'm playing a Spiritualist, assuming I'd be able to make permanent holy worlds for a buff. You spend 250 influence for a small buff to happiness and growth that lasts 100 years on one planet. Given games regularly last 300 years, why not make it permanent?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Ok, I have found my new favourite thing, stacking fire rate modifiers with ripper autocannons.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is the thing preventing multiple megastructures from being built simultaneously hardcoded?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

(Somehow continues for several more paragraphs)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Old news, since version 1.3 patch notes:
-Upon playing the game for 666 hours Wiz now correctly appears in a puff of putrid smoke and tattoos the mark of the beast on the players forehead.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
make that the new greeting dialogue when you meet a fanatic spiritualist empire for the first time

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VirtualStranger posted:

The AI is designed to treat player controlled empires as if they are completely unpredictable and could attack at any moment.

Which is to say, correctly.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Chomp8645 posted:

This guy must love the new CK2 DLC.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

So I made the mistake of actually going to find the full thing and read it. I want my soul 5 minutes back.

E: VVV http://steamcommunity.com/app/281990/discussions/0/133259227520013778/ VVV

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chomp8645 posted:

Link to the actual discussion? I'd love to read the comments.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

TsarZiedonis posted:

Wow, this expansion looks substantial! Did they add a new way for happy, peaceful xenophiles to win? I always feel guilty when I play bad guys in video games.

my pacifist butterfly people made friends with the first aliens I met, a xenophile plant species. we've been spending all our time beating up the hateful bird people north of us, freeing the aliens that they conquered and enslaved. not exactly peaceful, but it's for a good cause.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Thought I wasn't getting paid until Monday, so I wouldn't be able to take a crack at Utopia until possibly even next weekend. Checked the account today and toot toot looks like someone got an early deposit, so here I come.

Think I'll try syncretic evolution, and RP everyone's favorite codependent couple:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

brb gonna make a pacifist/fanatic spiritualist empire and copy+paste this into the box where lore goes

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

Thought I wasn't getting paid until Monday, so I wouldn't be able to take a crack at Utopia until possibly even next weekend. Checked the account today and toot toot looks like someone got an early deposit, so here I come.

Think I'll try syncretic evolution, and RP everyone's favorite codependent couple:

Someone needs to come up with a "justin roiland alien name" name pack. because man that guy is good at names.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Managed to find my precursor world. Where is it? In the middle of an FE that hates my materialist guts and immediately closed borders :negative:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Is building tall a viable strategy in this game at all?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Either I'm missing something or this is the most frustrating bug ever.

Game is claiming there's no way to get to system (one I specifically put a Frontier Outpost in to hold open a corridor because I spawned surrounded by expansionist super Xenophobes) because there's no way to get there by warp without crossing another empire's territory.

But like, there is. Drawing a line between the two systems doesn't go through enemy territory. It doesn't even look like it's that close, and the system is more than in range. It's basically arbitrarily split my empire in half and hosed me over. Got dragged into a federation war by an ally on the other side of the galaxy, and now their enemies are basically dismantling the part of my empire beyond the chokepoint because my idiot fleet keeps thinking it would have to go through closed territory for some reason.

I might have to declare war to break off part of one of the "blocking" empires but for a bunch of xenophobes they sure have managed to get into a lot of defensive pacts :saddowns:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chalks posted:

Is building tall a viable strategy in this game at all?

No because orbitals only unlock well after the game has been decided.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah I feel like habitats (or a smaller version thereof) need to unlock WAY earlier. By the time you've got the tech and an ascension slot open for them, you're either so big that they're pointless or boxed in and light-years behind everyone else.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's kind of weird that you can pick Syncretic Evolution and give your subservient species full rights from the get go without any penalty or anything. Well I guess they're stuck with being Proles until later in the game but that's kind of a bonus for resources anyway.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm enjoying it, but I still feel like it has the same central issue of motivation in the mid-game. Once I've got myself up and with a functional economy.... I run out of reasons to keep playing unless I make them up for roleplay reasons. Conquering isn't much fun and adding more alien planets seems like a drag:

1.) Gotta sector most of them
2.) Tanks unity progress
3.) Already bouncing off resource caps, so I don't need more energy or whatever

I know Wiz doesn't like the idea, but I still feel like the game could use some explicit victory conditions to work towards, even if they're single player only. Like, when I turn on the TRANSCEND MACHINE all my neighbors come gunning for me, so I'd better be in a strong position. The historical progress and end date give other Paradox games some 'shape', but Stellaris still ends up feeling like a bit of a formless sandbox where the only way to 'win' is conquer the map. :smith:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Darnit, is the mod overwriting bug still not fixed? :negative:

I still can't seem to add any of my custom species back into the Humanoid class without overwriting all other humanoid species. I can't add into any preexisting categories. Heck, I can't even made a single-line custom defines file to change a single line in the vanilla defines.lua file, I either have to import it all over or not even bother- and that's even with the 1.5.1 beta on.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

No because orbitals only unlock well after the game has been decided.

That sucks, I tried unlocking some of that tech in my first game with the expansion but I won before the prerequisites even appeared as a tech option.

Is there a particular scenario in which these more advanced perks are good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ofaloaf posted:

Darnit, is the mod overwriting bug still not fixed? :negative:

I still can't seem to add any of my custom species back into the Humanoid class without overwriting all other humanoid species. I can't add into any preexisting categories. Heck, I can't even made a single-line custom defines file to change a single line in the vanilla defines.lua file, I either have to import it all over or not even bother- and that's even with the 1.5.1 beta on.

Make sure you're using defines.txt now. I have got mods working in the beta patch.

Edit: overwriting other files is still voodoo bullshit, though. I can do single-line overrides in defines, why the gently caress do I have to include the entirety of any other file I want to modify?

• Locked thread