Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Zzulu posted:

I want saitama to eat a monster fruit

It would probably not do anything to him because he is already physical perfection and can't be enhanced further

He'd probably grow a single, very long hair at the top of his head. Thus technically eliminating his one weakness, while simultaneously making things worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Saitama got cancer during his fight with Boros, but his immune system slapped it away. His T-cells would destroy any M-cells in just one... injection of cytotoxins?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Zzulu posted:

It would probably not do anything to him because he is already physical perfection and can't be enhanced further

*bite*

THIS TASTES TERRIBLE

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Zzulu posted:

Honestly this falls into my theory about Saitama eating monsters around city z off screen. He's been eating monster cells for years now, but hasn't gone full monster while still gaining their power.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Pig god is pretty monstrous and strong. Maybe you need to cook monsters to get rid of the bad mutatey stuff.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
or the world just operates on author fiat?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The reason Saitama is as strong as he is, is because that is the conceit of the series.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Donkringel posted:

Honestly this falls into my theory about Saitama eating monsters around city z off screen. He's been eating monster cells for years now, but hasn't gone full monster while still gaining their power.

Watch out. Angry Man's gonna mutate any minute now.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

The reason Saitama is as strong as he is, is because that is the conceit of the series.

dumbest theory in the thread imo

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah its clearly because of all the push ups and sit ups and running he did, duh.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Monsters are not made of monster cells.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Schwarzwald posted:

look at this idiot

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Obviously he crossed an old gypsy woman when he was a child who granted his wish to defeat enemies with just one punch, ensuring that he would be unable to achieve the thrill of a good fight in his adult life.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Yeah its clearly because of all the push ups and sit ups and running he did, duh.

I do hope this is the real reason, and that it never gets confirmed because no one believes him or is stupid enough to try it on their own.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

I do hope this is the real reason, and that it never gets confirmed because no one believes him or is stupid enough to try it on their own.
Yeah I think giving it an explanation any more complex than that would likely just ruin the joke.

As they say in the theme song to season 2 of The Leftovers, "let the mystery be".

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Raxivace posted:

Yeah I think giving it an explanation any more complex than that would likely just ruin the joke.

As they say in the theme song to season 2 of The Leftovers, "let the mystery be".

Exactly. It's funnier if his power comes from simple exercise, and the dedication to actually doing it every day, rather than any sort of mystical or magical means. He's just a guy who actually kept up a workout routine for once.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Lamebot posted:

or the world just operates on author fiat?

Or all this poo poo is just filler and literally will never be mentioned again.

Or that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think the workout routine is actually it and a parody of typical heros who go about heroing through magic and plot rather than hard work. OPM subscribes to the dragonball school of working out.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Monsters are not made of monster cells.

Yeah, they purposefully brought a bunch of monster cells and then lamented when they ran out. If monsters were made of monster cells, they could just scrape off some of their skin cells to any fighter still willing to transform and wouldn't have needed to bring anything in the first place.

I'm under the impression there's a particular monster in the Monster Association whose power is to generate them. Otherwise there's some technique or something. But I don't think it's ever implied eating a monster has any particular affect on you.

Genos also eats monsters too as a result of living with Saitama.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuR2fRxDTtI

Comedian Bill Burr started watching One Punch Man and kinda gets it more than a lot of people who watched it did.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Comedian Bill Burr started watching One Punch Man and kinda gets it more than a lot of people who watched it did.
I never really thought of the villains that way before but that's a legit interesting look at them.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
all of the monsters that used to be people are destroyed by their hosed up brains/the pressures of society

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
One Punch Man Punches Deep Man.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ONE is a japanese treasure

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't think he quite nailed it, but he is onto something in his interpretation.

I suddenly feel really bad for Mosquito lady though. :smith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, it's more thought than the person who comes away from it all "Dude, he could beat up Goku AND Superman!"

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Waffleman_ posted:

He gets the fanbase at least.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Mordaedil posted:

I don't think he quite nailed it, but he is onto something in his interpretation.

I suddenly feel really bad for Mosquito lady though. :smith:

I mean, he gets his power from hard work but he fights that one guy who gets an injection from his super smart brother, only to kill him before getting out checked. Commentary on hard work versus taking the easy way out?

Overfishing and tuna population depletion because of cooking? Sea king?

You could think of a lot of villains along this line of logic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/NEBU_KURO/status/851970581910216704

Murata drew Iron Man for a Marvel exhibition. I really want him to draw a comic for Marvel if he wasn't busy enough with OPM.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Crunkjuice posted:

I mean, he gets his power from hard work but he fights that one guy who gets an injection from his super smart brother, only to kill him before getting out checked. Commentary on hard work versus taking the easy way out?

Overfishing and tuna population depletion because of cooking? Sea king?

You could think of a lot of villains along this line of logic.

You don't really have to get that metaphorical when Hammerhead just wants basic income for the unemployed and Vaccine man cites environmentalism as his reason for being.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Waffleman_ posted:

holy poo poo this guy is a stupid motherfucker

not everything is family court, bill.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think he's far off. The issues he describes are commonplace in Japan and used thematically a lot by mangakas to criticize the system. There are way more abstract animes that are almost entirely dedicated to critizing the subject, and ONE himself had a lot of career issues when deciding to become a full-time artist.

I mean, I don't think ONE explicitly thought "this guy is the businessman who eats way too much" but the general gist of criticizing an obsessive society with a tunnel-vision in a robotic career lifestyle is not really too far off, given that he explicitly does that through Saitama and he has pretty good reasons to given his career choices. Mob is also very heavy on political/social issues so ONE is clearly self-aware of these elements.

ONE works are fundamentally about real life and the issues Bill describes. Saitama finds out that being super-powered does jack poo poo for his real world life and there's an emphasis on simple stuff like buying off sales and not wanting to burn his clothes. The hero association, which deals with outlandish stuff far outside anything in the real world, still acts like the most souless corporation possible and is ultimately just a regular business like any other. Mob is pretty much all about another super powered character not wanting to be corrupted and not using his powers to deal with real life stuff, while a sleazy salesperson tries to leech off of him. Bill Burr is spot on, especially the part about getting high and watching a bald dude explode stuff.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 12, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TenementFunster posted:

holy poo poo this guy is a stupid motherfucker

not everything is family court, bill.

If you think that is wild, Ultraman would blow your mind.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/NEBU_KURO/status/851970581910216704

Murata drew Iron Man for a Marvel exhibition. I really want him to draw a comic for Marvel if he wasn't busy enough with OPM.

Murata's ability to draw metal that actually looks like metal always astounds me

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Elentor posted:

Mob is pretty much all about another super powered character not wanting to be corrupted and not using his powers to deal with real life stuff, while a sleazy salesperson tries to leech off of him. Bill Burr is spot on, especially the part about getting high and watching a bald dude explode stuff.

I'll not accept any slander about Arataka Reigen, the psychic star of the 21st century!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 73.2 is out.

:ohdear:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Well, they're all wrecked now. I guess Saitama will show up after this because they're surely not going to kill off these three?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ChronoReverse posted:

Well, they're all wrecked now. I guess Saitama will show up after this because they're surely not going to kill off these three?

I'm betting it'll be Garou.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Which would also mean Watchdogman. Because a hound never lets go of his prey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Which would also mean Watchdogman. Because a hound never lets go of his prey!

I was thinking Watchdogman just kicks his rear end so hard Garou gets sent flying all the way to the arena.