Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 359 days!

mormonpartyboat posted:

steve harvey as secretary of homeland security

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

you'd think stone's lawyers would have advised him to not do this by now.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
tЯump

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Козырь

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Liberal Crime Squad comin' for another scalp

O'Reilly's up now, then Cernovich

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

you'd think stone's lawyers would have advised him to not do this by now.

who's to say they haven't

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

#FireKushner is an anti-Semitic dogwhistle shout, right?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

Liberal Crime Squad comin' for another scalp

O'Reilly's up now, then Cernovich

'traces of gorilla semen were discovered within the stomach, likely ingested'

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Squizzle posted:

is it from a specific episode or a piece of stock footage

if you give me an episode # and if i should look toward the beginning middle or end i bet i can gif it up tonight

number not hashtag
Episode 31 with the clock at 7:48.

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's what it seems to be so far and it worries me that I will miss all the jokes.
I'm gonna do you a solid and reveal myself to have spend literally over a hundred hours watching Japanese children's toy commericals.

The Sentai I've seen from start to finish:

Jetman: Bird-themed paramilitary organization fights against invading alien force with infighting and drama on both sides. While two of the five rangers get seriously shafted so that there can be more focus on the other three, the character dynamics of Jetman are surprisingly complex and even rather unhealthy. There's a lot of adult feelings in Jetman and if you're interested in seeing what almost was the source material for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers go places you would never expect, I recommend checking it out. Also has an amazing ending that is possibly the greatest thing the franchise has ever done.

Dairanger : Secret club of chosen warriors of Chinese mythical animals battle resurging ancient evil with personal rivals emerging for each member of the team. Unfortunately, outside of a handful of episodes, the show is terminally boring, as the cast has zero chemistry and the aforementioned ancient evil is poorly defined at best and downright nonsensical at worst. Also, a fantastic main mech is wasted, with nearly all of the fights being 95% stock footage of the mech coming together and then doing the finishing attack. Also, the ending directly contradicts the most interesting idea the show puts forth. That said, the show has a handful of scenes that are iconic for the franchise, and if subbed DVDs weren't out I'd link them here.

Gaoranger: Secret club of chosen warriors of robot animals battle resurging ancient evil. A lighthearted, middling series, mostly notable for being the first series in the franchise to heavily use CGI. Has some interesting arcs and ideas and the cast has pretty good chemistry. However the most dramatic moments of the show are almost always made moot, as the show is a huge offender of Deus Ex Machina syndrome, even relative to the rest of the franchise. However, this is arguably justified because one of the mecha in the show is God.

Gekiranger: Two competing schools of animal kung-fu, one of justice and one of strength, compete for supremacy. Awesome designs and some fascinating ideas are wasted on an insulting melodrama with characters that range from boring to intolerably irritating, the latter of which describes the show's lead to a 't'. Some people really like it though so maybe I'm crazy.

Go-Onger : Humans team up with sentient toy cars from another dimension to combat pollution monsters. Not without its charm, but outside of one amazing arc that satirizes the entire franchise in a way that could honestly be described as mean-spirited, this is as forgettable as they come.

Shinkenger: Four descendants of samurai swear their lives to a modern day Lord in a battle against demons who seek to flood the earth with pain and suffering. Their bonds are forged and then brought to their very limits. Fantastic characters, some of whom have amazing arcs, a theatrical style, and some seriously disturbing antagonists make for a wonderful series. Shame the mecha are ugly as sin. Talking more indepth about what makes this show truly great involves spoilers, unfortunately.

Gokaiger: Five space pirates with the powers of all 34 of their predecessors in addition to their own come to Earth in search of the greatest treasure in the universe and find themselves defending our planet against the greatest threat it's ever known, while they learn the true power of the Super Sentai. This show contains ending spoilers for both Shinkenger and Jetman. If you've any interest in those, watch them first. Has a great cast and insane variety in its fight scenes, although the villains of the year are pretty boring, save for one. More than that, though, it's about as great an argument as you could ever make for the higher purpose of a toy commercial, dozens of guest stars from the past 35 years of the franchise make appearances, many of whom weren't going to until the Japan tsunami of that year. A retrospective of a franchise that has always been about getting kids to ask their parents to buy them toys, but maybe along the way inspired some of them to be better people, over the course of more than a generation. Also, come on, pirates.

Go-Busters: Three young adults who have dedicated the past thirteen years of their life to training to combat the forces of a malevolent computer virus constantly match wits with the virus's mysterious and incredibly effective lieutenant. A show where the main attraction is how many things it does differently than the rest of the franchise, from an amazing change to the "make my monster grow" formula we all know and love, to relying far less on stock footage, to seriously cutting down on the toys, to having a main antagonist who is actually effective more often than not, this show's flaws (two out of three of the core cast being mediocre, slight thematic disconnect, and some serious tonal problems around the 2/3rds mark caused by executive meddling) are not nearly enough to dilute how enjoyable it is to see something so... risky.

Kyoryuger: Five warriors chosen by dinosaurs bravely battle a legion of evil that seeks to resurrect its master. Insanely fun with a cast that is a joy to watch, this show suffers a little from overfocus on the Red Ranger and catchphrase overload, but the chemistry between the team is simply off the charts, the entire show has an infectious enthusiasm to it. The show does stumble at the very end, with an underwhelming climax and some very obvious opportunities missed,, but as long as you go in knowing that and makes sure to enjoy the ride, you'll have a great time.

I put way too much work into this.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

yes

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Youth Decay posted:

For the people attuned to hearing it, yes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fidel Castronaut posted:

sure, he could be useful in a role that uses his science advocacy but you seem to be drinking heavily from technocrat kool-aid if you think the television science guy would be good at government.

i'm sure he'd be bad at some if not most parts

that's the beauty of vp, they are given a portfolio of only stuff they're good at

i'm not being wholly serious about it being nye, though he brings public enthusiasm to the table in a way a highly accomplished but anonymous sciences phd doesn't. however i foresee an incredibly dire end to our national research capabilities if somebody doesn't wake the gently caress up. we're already operating at skeleton crew levels compared to what it could have been if funding had kept pace with population growth and graduate program class sizes.

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Like, the last two people to hold the office of director of the Office of Science of Technology Policy have PhDs in science, vs Bill Nye's BS. But I was under the impression that "high in office" meant more than just science stuff.

ostp doesn't matter, it's been more or less continuously filled with talented experts since it was created and science has still slowly withered on the vine as a budget designed for a significantly smaller, much less educated population struggles to accommodate all of the folks who have gotten stem degrees since the push for increased higher ed began. head of ostp is an advisory position, not an executive one.

obviously congress is the real problem but since apparently major legislation can only be undertaken nowadays if it's explicitly a presidential priority, having a scientist prez or vp seems kind of key to me even if the dems get a stranglehold on both houses somehow.

oh and i'll have zesty sauce with my nuggets please

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol Trump seriously does think taking the place of the rebels in the clusterfuck civil war in Syria is going to be something that doesn't blow up in his face horribly doesn't he

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Youth Decay posted:

What does your heart tell you?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

can't wait for trump to try and assert himself against russia only for them to drop the piss tape

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also, credit where credit is due, the alt-right still seems enormously furious at Trump and out of love with him now. I figured they would've memory holed the whole thing like his making their browser histories public domain

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

yes

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

literally made the Fry squinting face right now. what the gently caress is going on?

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

lol Trump seriously does think taking the place of the rebels in the clusterfuck civil war in Syria is going to be something that doesn't blow up in his face horribly doesn't he

nah, Trump doesn't think

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

oh wait nm jared fixed the science budget on his lunch break, he just told me it was all taken care of while he delivered my pizza

that jared sure is something

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Our allies have no idea what the gently caress is going on with our foreign policy. They don't know who to contact other than the president himself. And the president is willing to take random phonecalls out of the blue, but all he can offer is a word salad that, if interpreted correctly, can't be trusted because the man is a serial liar.

TRUMP!!!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I too think a mass, collective cry of IT WASNT TRUMP, COMMANDER IN CHIEF, IT WAS THAT OTHER GUY is a clear sign these people will turn on trump
People are mad that Trump is betraying them by listening to his (((globalist))) son-in-law instead of Bannon. When Trump chooses Ivanka over Bannon, which he did last night and will again, the base will turn on him.

Bannon will be either ousted or sidelined.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

also snowflake Tomi Lahren now suing Noble Job Creator for wrongful termination.

Too bad it's based in Texas where the conservative-approved worker protections are almost nothing

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jazerus posted:

oh wait nm jared fixed the science budget on his lunch break, he just told me it was all taken care of while he delivered my pizza

that jared sure is something

What's the worst that can happen, trusting a guy named Jared?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

literally made the Fry squinting face right now. what the gently caress is going on?

trump

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bethamphetamine posted:

Our allies have no idea what the gently caress is going on with our foreign policy. They don't know who to contact other than the president himself. And the president is willing to take random phonecalls out of the blue, but all he can offer is a word salad that, if interpreted correctly, can't be trusted because the man is a serial liar.

TRUMP!!!

They probably know by now.

It's going to be turgidity and violence. It's just a distallation of what this country's foreign policy has always been. Destroy, loot, rape, kill, burn.

Ages posted:

nah, Trump doesn't think

Fair

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

People are mad that Trump is betraying them by listening to his (((globalist))) son-in-law instead of Bannon. When Trump chooses Ivanka over Bannon, which he did last night and will again, the base will turn on him.

Trump... Good?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

Also, credit where credit is due, the alt-right still seems enormously furious at Trump and out of love with him now. I figured they would've memory holed the whole thing like his making their browser histories public domain
The difference is that the world wasn't talking about that for more than an hour. This is lasting.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

im sure this bill will go super far. i found the article kind of interesting though

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/850504738059800577

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

i want someone to capture a shouting match between bannon and kushner on video so, so much

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i like kushner now just because he reminds me of the jonah from veep and if he manages to kramer his way into getting bannon and the racist shitlord0 crew fired before bungling everything else then im cool with that

like i can imagine kushner thinking hes having a dream showing up to meet saudi royalty in his underwear and noogieing the king before an even more gangly and awkward aid tells hims hes not dreaming

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
I think my favorite thing about these strikes is how confused everyone is about it

trump just totally ordered a non-trivial military action with like, zero prep work in legal framework, international consensus building, or legislative support. he just said, i'm the commander in chief, gently caress it, bomb them

and the whol etime the domestic apparatus in this country is all durr uhhhghhh wait, is he even allowed to DO that? but he just did, so wait, should we like, wait.......can he do that?

and trumps response is essentially heh u think that was cool?> might do it again fuckos so WATCH OUT

and there's nothing anyone can apparently do to stop it, because Donald Trump is the Commander in Chief and then it all fades to black

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hypha posted:

I would have money instead of liquor....

Why not both?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Can't wait for this peice of poo poo to choke on a corn dog

https://twitter.com/ewerickson/status/850465486164951040

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

i don't understand

so i'm just gonna go to sleep

getting up at 5whatever sux

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxUxb-o393A

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

imagine if one of these idiots tries to kill kushner. they're universally cowardly so they won't, but just relish the thought for a moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Jazerus posted:

i'm sure he'd be bad at some if not most parts

that's the beauty of vp, they are given a portfolio of only stuff they're good at

i'm not being wholly serious about it being nye, though he brings public enthusiasm to the table in a way a highly accomplished but anonymous sciences phd doesn't. however i foresee an incredibly dire end to our national research capabilities if somebody doesn't wake the gently caress up. we're already operating at skeleton crew levels compared to what it could have been if funding had kept pace with population growth and graduate program class sizes.

ostp doesn't matter, it's been more or less continuously filled with talented experts since it was created and science has still slowly withered on the vine as a budget designed for a significantly smaller, much less educated population struggles to accommodate all of the folks who have gotten stem degrees since the push for increased higher ed began. head of ostp is an advisory position, not an executive one.

obviously congress is the real problem but since apparently major legislation can only be undertaken nowadays if it's explicitly a presidential priority, having a scientist prez or vp seems kind of key to me even if the dems get a stranglehold on both houses somehow.

oh and i'll have zesty sauce with my nuggets please

I don't do that dumb meme whenever somebody puts thought into their post so don't worry about this being an Arby's. I just don't adore scientists to the degree that I see people online adore them. I think one of the most influential things I read in graduate school was memos from Nazi engineers trying to figure out how to keep the weight distribution right for the trucks transporting Jews because they would flee to the back of the container and crowd around the door and it would gently caress up the rear axle. The memos were dry and rational, the minds of very good scientists who were using their superior intelligence to tackle a problem and improve efficiency and reduce costs.

Science is a tool, not a proper ideology, so I don't cream my jeans at the thought of a scientist in high office simply because they are a scientist. It's the humanities where you learn exactly why the problem isn't the light bulb in the back of the truck being broken by panicking "cargo" but the problem is that you're transporting human beings to mass exterminate. STEM can't save us.

• Locked thread