Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah it wasn't terribly well explained or anything (speedforce.gif) but at least they didn't just straight up have Barry forget his powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Phylodox posted:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure he tried phasing and it didn't work because he wasn't phasing fast enough or some other dumb technobabble bullshit.

Wasn't it because it was on Earth-2 and everything on E2 had different vibrational frequencies?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Longbaugh01 posted:

Wasn't it because it was on Earth-2 and everything on E2 had different vibrational frequencies?

Which he solved by...?

Everyone together, now!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm almost sure he was just cooling his heels in the cell and didn't even try phasing through the wall until he saw Zoom do it. Prepared to acknowledge I might not be remembering properly.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm almost sure he was just cooling his heels in the cell and didn't even try phasing through the wall until he saw Zoom do it. Prepared to acknowledge I might not be remembering properly.
No it was definitely a thing where he was trying to phase his hand through but couldn't, then Zoom came along and phased inside effortlessly.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The "technobabble" was specifically that Earth 2 vibrated at a different natural frequency than Earth 1 so Barry couldn't vibrate through things as well there or whatever.

But the timeline of scenes was definitely: 1. Barry sitting around doing nothing 2. Zoom phasing in to smack him around 3. Barry saying "Zoom just showed me how to escape :smug:" 4. Barry trying and failing to phase.

It may have been implied that he tried to phase before, but there was definitely a progression of events that made it seem like Barry just forgot one of his powers.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Phylodox posted:

Which he solved by...?

Everyone together, now!

Devouring the blood of the innocent?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Guy A. Person posted:

The "technobabble" was specifically that Earth 2 vibrated at a different natural frequency than Earth 1 so Barry couldn't vibrate through things as well there or whatever.

But the timeline of scenes was definitely: 1. Barry sitting around doing nothing 2. Zoom phasing in to smack him around 3. Barry saying "Zoom just showed me how to escape :smug:" 4. Barry trying and failing to phase.

It may have been implied that he tried to phase before, but there was definitely a progression of events that made it seem like Barry just forgot one of his powers.
You're right actually, I remember now. That was so bloody stupid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy A. Person posted:

Right, I remember thinking it was really annoying because one of the coolest scenes in the season two Reverse-Flash story was Barry running through a wall to take Thawne by surprise.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Phylodox posted:

Which he solved by...?

Everyone together, now!

Random murder?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Here let me help the thread out

1. Barry's dumb
2. Speed force

There you go, that should handle pretty much anything.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The speed force is also dumb.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

pee out my butt posted:

The speed force is also dumb.

No no, the speed force is uncaring.

The whole RF episode in season 2 is awesome.

Also, best scene in season 2 was Zoom owning Barry in the mid season finale.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One of the best Flash issues I've ever read was 100% about Thawne and his origin story (pre Flashpoint). If he ever comes back, they just need to do that issue since it was hauntingly hosed up but made him seem a little pitiable.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

kjetting posted:

BTW, wasn't there a line somewhere about Barry being the designer of Gideon, or am I remembering that wrong as well? I wonder if that thread will be touched again.

No, that was definitely mentioned and completely dropped afterward.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I think it's safe to assume at this point that Thawne's Gideon and the Gideon on the Waverider are two different AIs. They just have the same name because... :shrug:

Which reminds me, is OG Gideon still locked up in the time vault? Why don't they go talk to her more often? (aside from lol because Morena Baccarin's on Gotham now)

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

nine-gear crow posted:

I think it's safe to assume at this point that Thawne's Gideon and the Gideon on the Waverider are two different AIs. They just have the same name because... :shrug:

Which reminds me, is OG Gideon still locked up in the time vault? Why don't they go talk to her more often? (aside from lol because Morena Baccarin's on Gotham now)

Maybe she vanished too when Thawne was erased.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I feel like the time vault is something the writers specifically ignore unless they need it for something. Because I can't imagine a reason that Cisco not to be in there every day data mining cool future tech or info about potential metas.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My biggest hope is that when Savitar is revealed, it's a Barry old enough to be played by John Wesley Shipp. The original speedster.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Senerio posted:

My biggest hope is that when Savitar is revealed, it's a Barry old enough to be played by John Wesley Shipp. The original speedster.

Maybe Savitar IS the Flash from the 90s series.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

V-Men posted:

Maybe Savitar IS the Flash from the 90s series.

I would love that, especially if we get a flashback to Savitar's origin in the style of the 90s TV show.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm probably alone in this but I've always wanted them to visit the universe of the 90s Flash and do his speed effects with period accurate rotoscoping and film speed tricks right alongside modern Barry's CGI.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'd be down with Barry slidering around multiverses trying to get back to earth prime. Just think about how many metas he could kill!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McSpanky posted:

I'm probably alone in this but I've always wanted them to visit the universe of the 90s Flash and do his speed effects with period accurate rotoscoping and film speed tricks right alongside modern Barry's CGI.

I haven't really seen the 90s Flash in any significant capacity (though they released it on DVD recently because JWS is on modern Flash semi-regularly now), but it always struck that a lot of the shots of Grant Gustin clearly running in place in front of a green screen were homages to it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

I haven't really seen the 90s Flash in any significant capacity (though they released it on DVD recently because JWS is on modern Flash semi-regularly now), but it always struck that a lot of the shots of Grant Gustin clearly running in place in front of a green screen were homages to it.

Have a clip of a speedster fight, CBS style!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjBUubnyeDo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, didn't notice the title at first so I was a bit confused when Purple Flash says, "You're leaving me?" and the nerdy guy turns round and says, "Bollocks."

Then Flash shows up, realises he's there too late to save the nerdy guy, and goes, "Bollocks."

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 9, 2017

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
A little off-topic, but after the multiple crossovers between Supergirl and The Flash, and learning that both Melissa Benoist and Grant Gustin were both on the show Glee, I decided to start watching Glee again to really try to see what all the hubbub was about, and I just got to Grant Gustin's first appearance, and I didn't realize that Grant Gustin was a Warbler, or that he was interested in Darren Criss immediately.

The more you know, I guess.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Vietnamwees posted:

I decided to start watching Glee

As someone who watched every episode of Glee, don't.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hangedman1984 posted:

As someone who watched every episode of Glee*up to the end of season 3 and then abandoned it, don't.

:agreed::yeah::same:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

V-Men posted:

Maybe she vanished too when Thawne was erased.

8one6 posted:

I feel like the time vault is something the writers specifically ignore unless they need it for something. Because I can't imagine a reason that Cisco not to be in there every day data mining cool future tech or info about potential metas.

Yeah speaking of this...if Thawne ceased to exist, and all versions of him will eventually cease to exist, then why don't things like the Time Vault cease to exist if it was only Thawne who would have constructed them...though I guess the same goes for the entire Particle Accelerator, unless original Wells was going to build one anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hangedman1984 posted:

As someone who watched every episode of Glee, don't.

As someone who dd everything in his power to avoid Glee, don't.

Because gently caress Glee.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah speaking of this...if Thawne ceased to exist, and all versions of him will eventually cease to exist, then why don't things like the Time Vault cease to exist if it was only Thawne who would have constructed them...though I guess the same goes for the entire Particle Accelerator, unless original Wells was going to build one anyway.

Original Wells was going to build one, Thawne just moved all that stuff up five years.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Longbaugh01 posted:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

http://i.imgur.com/TD21xuj.gifv

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Holy poo poo.

I'm gonna need to get around to playing the first Injustice and now the new one.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Longbaugh01 posted:

Holy poo poo.

I'm gonna need to get around to playing the first Injustice and now the new one.

Just watch the story from the first one on youtube (or get it cheap and wait until the 2nd is cheap in a year or two) It's going to play like the modern Mortal Kombat games. The story mode will be a lot of fun but relatively short.

I hope they get all the CWDC people to voice their characters as alt costumes like GA in the first one. (but more accessible than GA in the first one.)

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Spacebump posted:

Just watch the story from the first one on youtube (or get it cheap and wait until the 2nd is cheap in a year or two) It's going to play like the modern Mortal Kombat games. The story mode will be a lot of fun but relatively short.

I hope they get all the CWDC people to voice their characters as alt costumes like GA in the first one. (but more accessible than GA in the first one.)

Thanks! I actually already have the first one I've just never gotten around to playing it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, I've been watching that MacGyver reboot thing and who turns up as an assassin but Abra-fuckin-Kadabra.

That was bothering me all episode, thank goodness for IMDB. I like the actor, he does crazy killer who enjoys himself very well. Well, in these two anyway.

E: oh my god he plays a crazy murderer in Twelve Monkeys too. And he's in Gotham but I haven't watched that, guessing he's a mad killer there too. Man has a gift for that sort of role

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

McDragon posted:

Ha, I've been watching that MacGyver reboot thing and who turns up as an assassin but Abra-fuckin-Kadabra.

That was bothering me all episode, thank goodness for IMDB. I like the actor, he does crazy killer who enjoys himself very well. Well, in these two anyway.

E: oh my god he plays a crazy murderer in Twelve Monkeys too. And he's in Gotham but I haven't watched that, guessing he's a mad killer there too. Man has a gift for that sort of role

He's good in Gotham. Crazy Murderer is definitely his wheelhouse.

(he's the guy in the ambulance from The Dark Knight for me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
SOOo many differing opinions on the musical episode. I had no expectations going in, but had an open mind, AND HEART awww

It was too much Evita and not enough Moulin Rouge/Buffy.

I was happy to see the people sing that could really sing, and I'm glad for them, (LOVE JOE) but the songs didn't really have anything to do with the story, and the story was really quite boring and trite, like they needed to fix some story writing problems from before and tried to get them out of the way with some KAZAM hocus-lovey-dovey-pocus, so it was flat :( And most of the choreography was the extras)

If they'd written original songs that moved the story forward... like imagine the IRIS DIES episode filled with Dr. Horrible-level songs.. That would have been really amazing. I rate that episode as less than favorable.

• Locked thread