Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
I guess what I took was that Gladehart Cavalry did not work with Champion of Rhonas but that doesn't seem the case.

Champion of Rhonas puts the creature into play thus Gladehart Cavalry enters the battlefield and Supports 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

No Luck Needed posted:

I guess what I took was that Gladehart Cavalry did not work with Champion of Rhonas but that doesn't seem the case.

Champion of Rhonas puts the creature into play thus Gladehart Cavalry enters the battlefield and Supports 6

Yeah, Gladeheart Cavalry would work, whereas say Kozilek, the Great Distortion would not.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

goth smoking cloves posted:

Cut // Ribbons could be an okay choice but, I wouldn't run a whole set. You could add Scrapheap and Bomat or Key (If you want to be cute.) And run Disintegration. Maybe Goblin Dark-Dwellers as your 5 drop instead of glory bringer?

this all sounds good, i feel cut // ribbons is a little overpriced for what i want it to do? but late game ribbons just feels hilarious in burn if i get to pull it off. i do like goblin dwellers i forgot that card even existed, bomat does sound fun. gonna retool this some.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Does the fake Craterhoof Behemoth trigger on ETB?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

A big flaming stink posted:

Does the fake Craterhoof Behemoth trigger on ETB?

Cast again.

enters: http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3Aenters+t%3A%22eldrazi%22+f%3Astandard&v=card&s=cname

cast: http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3Acast+t%3A%22eldrazi%22+f%3Astandard&v=card&s=cname

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 7, 2017

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
dang.

So looking, the obvious standouts are Exquisite Archangel, Demon of Dark Schemes, Metalworker Colossus, maybe Aethersquall Ancient, Ulvenwald Hydra, maaayyyyybbbeee Bruna as good targets.

Might not be enough, but it could be a way for marvel decks to up consistency.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I like that Standard is so bad that Mtggoldfish has just given up and is doing standard deck spotlights on historic standards instead.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Bruna is cast. Of course it makes it easier to assemble Brisela if that's your jam.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Maybe it's not great but any creature you need to answer right away or it just wins the game is at least interesting.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DangerDongs posted:

The problem with the card is the creatures you want to be cheating into play are better off being a Marvel deck where the combo piece doesn't die to Grasp.

The bigger problem is that today's creatures at 5 mana are stupidly powerful on their own. If you curve out, you're on 5 mana when this guy is able to do stuff, and by then you can happily hardcast Verdurous Gearhulk and would probably wish you were pumping a better creature than a 3/3. Sure, you save some mana, but that only works if you have an alternate thing to spend your mana on, you can successfully attack with the 3/3 and you consider that you had to play a 4 mana 3/3 in your deck. I mean, you're more likely to want to throw Ulamog out there, but there's very little reason to actually run this guy over a dedicated Aetherworks Marvel deck. Perhaps you could board this guy in after you think they've brought in a ton of artifact hate for Marvel or boarded in Negates, etc.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 7, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

The bigger problem is that today's creatures at 5 mana are stupidly powerful on their own. If you curve out, you're on 5 mana when this guy is able to do stuff, and by then you can happily hardcast Verdurous Gearhulk and would probably wish you were pumping a better creature than a 3/3. Sure, you save some mana, but that only works if you have an alternate thing to spend your mana on, you can successfully attack with the 3/3 and you consider that you had to play a 4 mana 3/3 in your deck. I mean, you're more likely to want to throw Ulamog out there, but there's very little reason to actually run this guy over a dedicated Aetherworks Marvel deck. Perhaps you could board this guy in after you think they've brought in a ton of artifact hate for Marvel or boarded in Negates, etc.

I'm much more interested in putting Gearhulks or Ishkanah into play with this or even Demon of Dark Schemes.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Maybe it's not great but any creature you need to answer right away or it just wins the game is at least interesting.

It doesn't just win you the game. If it triggered on cast abilities it might be marvel 5 and 6 or a 4 of letting you play a higher density of big creatures, but it doesn't.

Better versions of this creature have existed and weren't good, quicksilver amulet wasn't good enough and that was when you could cheat in a better creature with annihilator.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Marketing New Brain posted:

It doesn't just win you the game. If it triggered on cast abilities it might be marvel 5 and 6 or a 4 of letting you play a higher density of big creatures, but it doesn't.

Better versions of this creature have existed and weren't good, quicksilver amulet wasn't good enough and that was when you could cheat in a better creature with annihilator.

If you get to put in say 2 creatures off this for free, you're probably gonna win...

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Marketing New Brain posted:

Agreed. I'm skeptical of its impact.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

If you get to put in say 2 creatures off this for free, you're probably gonna win...

That requires this guy to live for 4 turns and attack profitably twice.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

mcmagic posted:

If you tapped Elvish Piper once, you probably won the game.

That's not why Elvish Piper has never seen play in a constructed format ever.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
LGS did a Khans draft tonight.. omg have our standards dropped.. that set was busted fun for draft!

I ended up in 'not red' morphs with all the boys. sagu mauler, abomination of gudul, a million glacial stalkers, abzan guides. This backed up with Sultai soothsayer a couple of Treasure cruises, 4 Throttles and a Duneblast made me unstoppable!

I realised why I have not been playing draft much until MM3 came about .. its all been very poor since Triple Khans.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

DoctorOozy posted:

LGS did a Khans draft tonight.. omg have our standards dropped.. that set was busted fun for draft!

I ended up in 'not red' morphs with all the boys. sagu mauler, abomination of gudul, a million glacial stalkers, abzan guides. This backed up with Sultai soothsayer a couple of Treasure cruises, 4 Throttles and a Duneblast made me unstoppable!

I realised why I have not been playing draft much until MM3 came about .. its all been very poor since Triple Khans.

I really liked SoI draft :shobon:

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Triple shadows was good, if a little too reliant on just curving out with DFCs. SoI/EMN was a fantastic draft though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/611403#online

Holy jesus.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Soul Glo posted:

I really liked SoI draft :shobon:

Yea. I agree SOI was good. But since khan's that the only good draft

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

This looked like some kind of bad joke until I saw the Mystic Snake.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

If this becomes a tier 1 deck, Modern will be the greatest format on the earth.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

This looked like some kind of bad joke until I saw the Mystic Snake.

The decklist just make me have so many questions.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

What am I supposed to be looking at? It looks like what I imagine BUG Modern decks to look like. I don't play Modern, I should say that.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

What am I supposed to be looking at? It looks like what I imagine BUG Modern decks to look like. I don't play Modern, I should say that.

Someone accidentally added a few cards to their cube deck to make it a 4-of.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DoctorOozy posted:

One things for certain, I am so very over KAL/AER draft.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BJPaskoff posted:

Its BUG delirium relying on Traverse.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
loving free GSZ already

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Sickening posted:

The decklist just make me have so many questions.

The answer to all of them is "Traverse the Ulvenwald is a completely busted magic card."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I pity any format where a deck like this doesn't 5/0 a league from time to time.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

BJPaskoff posted:

The cards that even experienced Magic players and armchair designers come up with are universally terrible. It takes a lot of work for R&D to not completely gently caress the game up. As bad as the mistakes they've made in the past and recent history are, they're nothing compared to what could happen to Magic, so I could totally see someone having to tell a Magic pro that their ideas "need some work" so to speak.

Update on the Varolz rule - that rule looks like it really was written just to keep someone from putting infinite +1/+1 counters on a creature with a Memnite in the yard and a Varolz on the battlefield.

There were no other cards this rule was relevant to except Varolz until now. In my eyes, writing a new game rule is more preferable to giving a printed card errata, but it's funny either way.

That update was recent enough that they probably knew As Foretold was coming down the pipe and would raise the same issue, so they wrote a rule to clarify their templating. This way, going forward, they can save rules text space on any future cards that alter a keyword ability cost.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

The answer to all of them is "Traverse the Ulvenwald is a completely busted magic card."

JFC gently caress this thread

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
does the magic website do theme weeks much anymore

i just realized i can't remember the last time they did one

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mandatory lesbian posted:

No they stopped doing those around the time they cut like half or more of the columns and added the daily digest etc

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

They do. The themes just aren't as strong as they used to be. But no one reads the site unless it's spoiler season, so no one notices.

Speaking of that, somehow MTGS and Reddit find the articles on the main site before they're pushed live. Like I'll go to the site at 11:02 EST and the new articles won't be showing yet, but MTGS has had them since 10:46. That didn't always happen that way, and we'd have to:f5: DailyMTG until the article went up.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheKingofSprings posted:

loving free GSZ already

It's Green Sun's Zenith, but can get lands and non-green creatures and you can pay the green in advance and cast triggers work and the opponent has to counter a one mana spell to get around uncounterable creatures and also Spell Pierce and Remand are basically useless.

Unban Mental Misstep :unsmigghh:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

They do. The themes just aren't as strong as they used to be. But no one reads the site unless it's spoiler season, so no one notices.

Speaking of that, somehow MTGS and Reddit find the articles on the main site before they're pushed live. Like I'll go to the site at 11:02 EST and the new articles won't be showing yet, but MTGS has had them since 10:46. That didn't always happen that way, and we'd have to:f5: DailyMTG until the article went up.

ever since they dropped regular columns and theme weeks ive stopped reading the site entirely, everybody just posts spoilers on social media anyways

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

It's half a gifts deck without gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

TheDemon posted:

It's half a gifts deck without gifts.

Speaking of Gifts, I've got most of the money cards for Gifts Storm and am tempted to buy into the rest as I've always been a filthy combo player at heart. Good or bad idea?

• Locked thread