Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

ooooooooohhhhhhh
Where would I beeeee
If I were boche artilleryyyyy
Would we be behind the ford
Praying now unto t'lord
Or would be ave crossed ontut bridge
And be hunkrin down to shell the ridge?
I think I'd be between the trench
Smellin dead boche, that sweet stench
And wondering how the brave BEF
Are shellin them to bits and f-watch yhoure mouth you orrible little man
So now we'll send em straight to ell
We're the royal hartillery we do that well!

Now I've been thinking about this. If I were them I'd be in a line between the two trenches, but I don't know where on that line they are. I think this pattern will catch some - maybe more than half - but it is a risk. I could go to a more traditional box spread which if guessed right would mulch them all (but they do seem to like deploying in lines), but then I wonder. If I do a box and miss, they've got off alright. If I do a box and move it around, then it might catch them one or two rounds, but might not. Moving the barrage around would guarantee some hits, but I want my competitor artillery dead dead dead.

So:

Every gun, on these dots, for four turns or we are all dead. After those four turns, direct and supporting fire only for brigades to the east, and any boche that venture out of the forest, but only after the four turns are done.

ONLY change fire pattern if there are German infantry in the open within 8", then fire on them.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:rip: 25th.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

23rd is in position and going to stay there. No change to orders.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

lenoon posted:

ooooooooohhhhhhh
Where would I beeeee
If I were boche artilleryyyyy
Would we be behind the ford
Praying now unto t'lord
Or would be ave crossed ontut bridge
And be hunkrin down to shell the ridge?
I think I'd be between the trench
Smellin dead boche, that sweet stench
And wondering how the brave BEF
Are shellin them to bits and f-watch yhoure mouth you orrible little man
So now we'll send em straight to ell
We're the royal hartillery we do that well!

Now I've been thinking about this. If I were them I'd be in a line between the two trenches, but I don't know where on that line they are. I think this pattern will catch some - maybe more than half - but it is a risk. I could go to a more traditional box spread which if guessed right would mulch them all (but they do seem to like deploying in lines), but then I wonder. If I do a box and miss, they've got off alright. If I do a box and move it around, then it might catch them one or two rounds, but might not. Moving the barrage around would guarantee some hits, but I want my competitor artillery dead dead dead.

So:

Every gun, on these dots, every turn until I run out of indirect fire, or we are all dead.
ONLY change fire pattern if there are German infantry in the open within 8", then fire on them.

I highly recommend you limit blind artillery strikes to two fire orders or less.

Your guns can only support 25th brigade (In the Blob) through Indirect Fire right now, and it seems clear to me that Fritz is angling themselves for an attack on the center.

Not only that, your guns are the only ones in range of the Southern Ford, which is now bereft of men.

We have more than 24 turns left until resupply, and you have ~7 indirect fire missions left. We are receiving reinforcements at 2000, and we don't know how many the Germans have. Furthermore the enemy artillery has already been subjected to a real rear end-kicking in its howitzers, and they're the only ones really capable of damaging entrenched units like your own.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Abort Retry Fail if you agree with Slim then you'd better order me quick because otherwise I am going to listen to and politely ignore his very sensible and completely correct advice in order to pursue unquestioned artillery dominance.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Orders:

Infantry Engineer 2 blow up the bridge and then continue with your orders to put barbed wire across the middle bridge.

Infantry Engineer 4 go and set up trenches in the southern part of the Vallee.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 7, 2017

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
My orders are for my men to dig up out of their graves and ambush the germans in the forest

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

What's up? They are still bumbling around in the backfield. If they want to attack out of Effyaders with their super-sleepy brigade, let them. Our arty should see them off nicely.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Orders:

Infantry Engineer 2 blow up the bridge and then continue with your orders to put barbed wire across the middle bridge.

:getin:

sullat posted:

What's up? They are still bumbling around in the backfield. If they want to attack out of Effyaders with their super-sleepy brigade, let them. Our arty should see them off nicely.

You may want to check the current arty's orders.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Oh alright I compromised. Four turns of indirect fire. I want them guns dead.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Don't we have two arty brigades, though?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

sullat posted:

Don't we have two arty brigades, though?

Curly's brigade is out of range for even indirect fire.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You're lucky I'm much busier than I was planning to be this week

:siren: The adjudication begins...

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Ya, I'm set up to interdict an assault from the north. My guns don't even reach the SE corner of Effyaders from where I am, and I got no orders to advance so I'm staying put and supporting 23/24.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I'm second guessing myself right now. I should have gone further north, what the hell am I doing! Four by four in a square at the top would have been way better and probably would have caught some infantry. They'd be dumb as gently caress to deploy in a line that far south, we'd be able to see the fuckers if they were there from the corner trenches! And the forest would gently caress with their LOS so no ones going to sit that close to the loving edge! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Also like, guessing that "if I were them I'd want to be next to the wire" is not a scientific measure that I should pay attention to. I promise to spend some time in the roll20 because I am being a (heh) loose cannon.

Hopefully the northernmost shells will hit something. And if the last round did well, then I'm firing all these shots at a guess to where howitzers might be even though they might have broken and hosed off or something.

Ok this was really dumb. Hopefully it doesn't bite us in the rear end. Apologies to all, I got carried away.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

If it works, you get a medal and everyone praises your initiative :D

If it doesnt we'll yell and throw things :v:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I am legit freaking out tbh

edit: also, sorry guys but i will be on holiday for the next week and won't have ready internet access. Could someone take over my chits until the 18th?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Its an interesting gamble, its not the game losing move :v: relax.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

lenoon posted:

I am legit freaking out tbh

edit: also, sorry guys but i will be on holiday for the next week and won't have ready internet access. Could someone take over my chits until the 18th?

Sup, I'll arty your arty. Also it isn't a disaster until it all goes wrong.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

It's okay lenoon, you wouldn't be firing unless you had an 80%+ chance to hit them like my orders stated! I'm expecting all shells to be direct hits. Now, let's get to a nice spot to observe the impacts. Pay no attention to my batman walking directly behind you with a revolver out.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 8, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppYgrdJ0pWk

Day 3, Turn 24
German initiative

The 25th moves around again.

And just in thee nick of time, too, as a truly ludicrous amount of indirect fire falls in the north half of the two fingers.

The retreaters see this.

They also see this, just by the SE corner of the forest.

That's a 10cm howitzer opening fire.

Day 3, Turn 25
British initiative

Comedy Cavalryman spots the enemy battalion worryingly close.

The enemy's fire pattern shifts south, but is now somewhat less intense.

Some of their shots were on target, but still failed to hit you thanks to the trench. Meanwhile, in the north, your engineers are moving on to their next erections...

A short-range artillery piece of some sort appears to be shooting at you from somewhere in the forest. You can't see it. You can see the machine-gun, though. Both your engineer companies end up suppressed, and I botch getting a screenshot.

Meanwhile, in the rear...

Kaboom! I'm displaying it this way because then I can just switch the dot off with all the others and I won't accidentally show the Germans that the bridge is gone.

Day 3, Turn 26
British initiative

Your foot engineer rallies and makes a hasty departure to the rear.

The cavalry engineer is not so lucky and is killed by the machine-gun, and a round of mutual firing follows between the two nearby trenches.

Your own southern guns have been firing their assigned pattern; the enemy's pattern changes again...

You can, however, see that the long FK gun line has fallen silent.

Day 3, Turn 27
British initiative

More fun times for another of your engineers, who makes a clean getaway after the Germans lunge out of the forest.

The 25th sees the enemy and calls for help.

Then they open fire.

Your guns rally in time to get shelled again.

Day 3, Turn 28
British initiative

The Germans advance cautiously on the 25th.

Your guns open fire, and cop another round of shelling from the enemy's guns.

However, that supporting round proved highly effective; most of the damage here was done by them.

Day 3, Turn 29
British initiative

The enemy...holds position?

They're no longer firing on your guns, and without the pressure of that...your artillery misses completely; the hits there were scored by machine-gun and rifle.

Day 3, Turn 30
British initiative

Then the enemy turns and leaves, heading back into the safety of the forest.

Your MGs take another company down before they get out of sight; the artillery lets off another round of indirect fire and again, misses completely.

Day 3, Turn 31
British initiative

And then nobody came. Curiouser and curiouser.

Overview.

The rain is getting harder. There is a chance that open-field spotting may be restricted to 8 inches (16 inches for units that fire) before nightfall.

Next deadline: Monday 10 April, 5pm. Busy weekend. Busy in general, actually. Still got time to run turns, just about.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 8, 2017

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Lenoon

Lenoon

Lenoon

Why are you a loving precog?!?!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

What on earth are the boche doing :confused:

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I have no idea. Did we make them hit their preset kill limits?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Edit: Nevermind, misread the southern guns doing their firing pattern.

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 8, 2017

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Loel posted:

What on earth are the boche doing :confused:

It was very rude of us to not play the hokey pokey with them.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Im thinking maybe they were doing a "bite and hold"? Get the center finger trenches, advance from there?

I wonder if they abandoned Effyaders.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Goddamit, I can't believe we just wandered engineers up to a possible boche position without taking any steps to secure it.

We traded alright in the center I guess. We're getting more artillery, and with the every encroaching pace of entrenchment, the small calibre arty pieces aren't all that effective. The Germans shot for 4 rounds and only got 2 chits.

Loel posted:

I wonder if they abandoned Effyaders.

The only boche we spotted were in Effyaders Woods?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Turns out it was a peace delegation, the Kaiser had a change of heart and was willing to come to terms

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Goddamit, I can't believe we just wandered engineers up to a possible boche position without taking any steps to secure it.

We traded alright in the center I guess. We're getting more artillery, and with the every encroaching pace of entrenchment, the small calibre arty pieces aren't all that effective. The Germans shot for 4 rounds and only got 2 chits.

The only boche we spotted were in Effyaders Woods?

Im on my phone - it looked like they sent a bridgade from the woods to the south, into Blob?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Yes. They sent a brigade south from Foret de Effyaders, across the road after they bombed the poo poo out of those front two trenches. Then the enemy brigade got bit by artillery and machine gun fire, stopped, and ran back into the woods after losing half their infantry companies.

Also the engineers we sent north wandered into some Germans. I'm going to erase them from existence now.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
See, the 25th held admirably. Knocked out 1200 men without much fuss. I think they were chasing the engineer, and probably had conditional orders to fall back if they saw more than X chits. Either this is going to be the legend of the "mad minute" or the "kindermorte".

sullat fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 8, 2017

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Nah, that doesn't square. Those artillery orders were too focused.

Oh right and Bacarruda is in La Dand. I forgot to mention that.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

professor_curly posted:

Nah, that doesn't square. Those artillery orders were too focused.

if we have a division in La Dand, does that mean we won?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Get a message back to HQ; we have an ENTIRE DIVISION occupying the enemy fortress.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
If we had a Division in La dand, yes, we would be winning outright.

Instead we have a Division Commander in La Dand. That's still good, but probably not instant victory.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
It's possible they thought that the 20th that wandered into their half of the map were the only forces we had in Bois de Blob, so were walking in on the assumption that we had abandoned it. They could have thought that all that would've stopped them was the artillery, hence the heavy suppressing fire on it. But... wait, they did shoot the poo poo out of the II-trenches. Maybe they thought that would be enough to suppress us? Or they only saw a single company at the limit of visibility range and assumed our entire brigade was packed into there?

Not to point fingers, but we almost did abandon that defensive position and would have missed out on the righteous mauling we just handed out.

Good call on pulling out of the II-trenches northeast of Bois de Blob.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So can we request a division full of just brigade/division commanders?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

professor_curly posted:

Yes. They sent a brigade south from Foret de Effyaders, across the road after they bombed the poo poo out of those front two trenches. Then the enemy brigade got bit by artillery and machine gun fire, stopped, and ran back into the woods after losing half their infantry companies.

Also the engineers we sent north wandered into some Germans. I'm going to erase them from existence now.

I think there's a fair chance the Germans are just going to retreat (or attack), but you have around 10 indirect fire missions left by my reckoning. Go wild.

professor_curly posted:

I think that's just a Trin error? Bac may be dead, or all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
maybe we should just put the asylum itself on a giant horse and save on general stars

• Locked thread