Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Dwarves don't have blood in their veins, but liquid spite :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zebrin posted:

Don't dwarves turn to stone if they try to cast a spell? That might be the reason they taste like ash... Though them being grudge bearing pricks is also a likely story...

Yes, Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers slowly petrify despite their bargain with Hashut. Dwarfs were made for craft, not magic.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also the Chaos Dwarves' entire culture is based around trying to fulfill the insane mechanisms and orders Hatshut passes down to them. All the forbidden magic, all the slavery, all the insane and horrifying industry, is all because their God demands they build, and so they build. They don't know to what final end all of it is going at all.

Chaos Dorfs don't get enough attention paid to them but they're cool villains.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Also the Chaos Dwarves' entire culture is based around trying to fulfill the insane mechanisms and orders Hatshut passes down to them. All the forbidden magic, all the slavery, all the insane and horrifying industry, is all because their God demands they build, and so they build. They don't know to what final end all of it is going at all.

Of course they know what the final end is, the eternal dominance of Hashut and his favored servants the Dawn Zharr.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

White Coke posted:

Of course they know what the final end is, the eternal dominance of Hashut and his favored servants the Dawn Zharr.

Ah, the old "surely Satan wouldn't lie" policy. Reliable!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Mzbundifund posted:

Ah, the old "surely Satan wouldn't lie" policy. Reliable!

This is a world with many Satans and occasionally they gift their most dedicated servants with transformation into an immortal demigod. Most die horrible deaths after short, futile lives but that's beside the point since everyone knows they'll be one of the successful ones.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

wiegieman posted:

Yes, Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers slowly petrify despite their bargain with Hashut. Dwarfs were made for craft, not magic.

Most Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers view it as a good thing at first as it just makes them tougher. But only up to a certain point were the side effects start to outpace the benefits.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

White Coke posted:

This is a world with many Satans and occasionally they gift their most dedicated servants with transformation into an immortal demigod. Most die horrible deaths after short, futile lives but that's beside the point since everyone knows they'll be one of the successful ones.

Chaos worshipers are basically everything bad about libertarians rolled into one awkwardly-dressed package.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

wiegieman posted:

Chaos worshipers are basically everything bad about libertarians rolled into one awkwardly-dressed package.

Don't discuss the NAP with a Khorne worshipper.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Ze Pollack posted:

They had a couple of random units, among which a soup catapult. Their single most-existing thing was a Regiment of Reknown: Lumpin Croop's Fighting Cocks, a group of adventure-seeking halflings accidentally recruited by the noted con man and petty thief Lumpin Croop as an excuse to avoid a barfight, saying he knew of a place where halflings of martial skill would be showered with gold and with feasting to avoid getting the tar beaten out of him. Every week, Lumpin tries to sneak away from his adventuring band, and his men spend a few days tracking their boss down on his latest "training exercise." Every time he tries to lead his men away from the Tilean mercenary recruiters he promised would make them richer and fatter, they find themselves in a strategically useful position for a fight he did not know was happening, redoubling their respect for his initiative and thirst for battle.

After a few years of Lumpin desperately trying to avoid living up to his words, every last one of them is an expert tracker, and a fine marksman, with a collective talent for appearing in places everyone including their captain, would very much prefer they not be. And man, at the rates they're being paid now, IMAGINE what they'll be paid when they make it to Tilea!

(mechanically speaking they were cheap skirmish archers with stealth and vanguard deployment.)

So he's not-40K Caiaphas Cain.

And instead of Space Vikings he leads an entire squad of the Merrys and Pippins on Warhammer Fantasy.

Does he have book series? This is important.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

White Coke posted:

Don't discuss the NAP with a Khorne worshipper.

The Valhalla DRO would be right at home in the warhamer universe.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Turn 12

A Templehof vampire lord takes a tour to the mass grave of Eschen where Isabella destroyed Mannfred and starts raising up his own army from the remains. I didn't know if the AI would take advantage of neighboring battle sites but this is the first thing Templehof has done since becoming a vassal so I'm optimistic that Templehof will be a useful vassal. Since they only have one settlement, their recruitment options are limited but they'll always be able to raise up better units from Eschen's battle site.

---

After Vlad and Isabella start to march on Karak Kadrin, Ostermark takes the opportunity to try to take the fight to the Red Eye goblins. The terrain in some spots of the map will slow down your army. Even though they're not that far on the map it would take two turns to reach them through this swamp so the advance into the Peak Pass carries on.

---

Templehof hates us, but they hate Karak Kadrin even more so they approve. I was worried because they're schemers and currently hate the von Carsteins too so there was a chance they might stab us in the back. I thought I'd be able to just not invite them so they don't have the chance to betray me but I guess you can only choose not to call allies to war and not vassals.

The fighting ability of the average dwarf is a lot higher than the ability of this ragged skeleton army. Even with Vlad and the Vampire twins the bar is heavily in their favor. I have a feeling it would be winnable despite what the bar says. The only good melee fighters they have are two dwarf warriors. Dwarf ranged units are decent melee combatants but would get overwhelmed by the amount of skeletons. But Isabella is waiting nearby to reinforce and Vlad raises a few zombies to get their towers' attention while the skeleton warriors advance. Wall towers will usually shoot at whatever's closest so the zombies will catch crossbow bolts and bullets for the real units.

Even though they're doomed I wanted to post a video to at least show some of the dwarf units.

Battle Five - Assault on Karak Kadrin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vrxzm1r6hY

The battle starts with the vampires hitting the gate down. Any unit can attack the gate and bring it down eventually. The skeleton warriors and spearmen scale the walls with ladders which would usually lead to them getting massacred if this keep was being defended by more than a skeleton crew. Not much to say about this one, other than pointing out how many kills one of the dwarf warriors got. This is why Zhufbar couldn't be attacked before, because a real dwarf army would turn Vlad's to dust.

---

Isabella's character tree so far. Took Children of the Night here because with two points invested in this skill you'll get +1 vampire hero capacity. Can't afford to recruit that many vampires yet so taking this skill now probably wasn't necessary but there's not anything that important that you need to get to first. Vlad and Isabella are already really strong so you can afford to take some utility early.

---

"Drakenhof is the sprawling ancestral fortress of the von Carstein bloodline. Ever since the coming of Vlad it has been the de facto political centre of Sylvania." The dark magic gained from sacking the Slayer Keep is put to immediate use in expanding Castle Drakenhof. Taking it to tier two will give a better garrison, more income, growth and unlock the second building slot. The number next to each tier is how much population surplus you need to upgrade to that tier. Each level of population surplus requires more accumulated growth to get to than the last.

---

The undead caravan carrying dwarf gold and precious gems to Drakenhof stops at Waldenhof and Zelig is allowed to keep a chest for himself. He's not impressed but it'll raise relations some and encourage him to build a bigger army.

Turn 13

A great army by Templehof standards. Too many wolves but it's better than what he had when he was independent thanks to the Eschen battle site.

---

This random event fires at the start of the turn. It takes a brave peasant to walk up to a von Carstein castle with torches and pitchforks. Too bad we can't draft them into our armies but there are some mods that allow vampires to recruit human levees.

---

The Bloody Spearz swear allegiance to the black orc warboss Grimgor Ironhide.

There was a battle here two turns ago between the Bloody Spearz and the Zhufbar armies that were seen mustering. Not sure who won but I'm guessing it was Zhufbar since the Bloody Spearz got confederated. The battle leaves a marker but hopefully we'll never have to go as far into the mountains as Grom Peak.

Grimgor is currently the strongest force in the world and is at war with two other Greenskin tribes and three Dwarf clans. In most of the campaigns I've fought since the Dwarfs and Greenskins got a booster pack DLC "The King and the Warlord," the dwarfs have wiped out the greenskins almost every single time but it looks like Grimgor has some momentum going.

It makes no difference to us. Grimgor has the unreliable trait so it'd only be a matter of time before he tore up the non-aggression pact anyways.

---

Zhufbar is now strength rank 54, which means they barely have an army right now. If they won the battle against the Bloody Spearz they don't have much to show for it except for a lot of vulnerability.

---

You can't sack and raze a settlement in the same turn so Vlad returns to Karak Kadrin to root out the dwarfs from Peak Pass. Since they were just sacked the battle is autoresolved.

---

Vlad's character tree so far. The rank up goes into Children of the Night.

---

The ruins of Karak Kadrin. There's a mod that makes ruins give off a small percentage of vampiric corruption but I don't remember what it's called. Karak Kadrin still holds Gnashrak's Lair, a settlement further into the Worlds Edge Mountains that we don't have vision of.

---

Isabella raises the dead in Eschen and doubles the size of her army in anticipation of a war against Zhufbar now that their blood is in the water.

Vlad can't move since he razed Karak Kadrin and it took all of Isabella's movement to reach the Eschen region so the turn ends.

---

On the AI's turn, the Broken Spearz army, now taking orders from Grimgor, marches into Sylvania, most likely on their way south into the badlands. It's a shame they confederated because now it looks like they were the winner of the battle against Zhufbar and probably would've been able to take it for themselves. Grimgor isn't yet at war with Zhufbar though so they pass the lightly defended stronghold to go on a death march through Sylvania.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 10, 2017

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Turn 14

The first instance of peaceful diplomacy the von Carsteins have engaged in since their return to power. The Red Eyez are easily swayed by vampires and like us even more now that we've taken the war to Karak Kadrin and forced the stunties out of their fortress.

---

Gnashrak, the former leader of the Bloody Spearz. Isabella goes to garrison her ancestral home in case the greenskins turn north and declare war.

---

The pride of Ostermark is off fighting goblins in the mountains, a filthy and thankless task. When they come back out of the mountains there may not be an Ostermark to go home to.

---

On the AI's turn, the greenskins keep going southwest, to a pass in the mountains south of Schwartzhafen. Bats and wolves pick off stragglers to hurry their exit out of Sylvania for the sake of its citizens who still have a pulse.

Turn 15

The Red Eyez capitalize on our assault on Karak Kadrin and are able to end their clan.

A sign the Greenskins are gaining even more momentum. A Waaagh! happens when a Greenskin army over 17 units wins enough battles that it attracts a waaagh. A waaagh is a second army that spawns under AI control but will follow your main army around and can be given war coordination targets. Since the dwarf units are so much better at fighting than every other faction early on you need a high numbers advantage to beat them and now the Greenskins might have it.

---

The peasantry is under the protection of the von Carsteins, as long as they pay their taxes on time and don't go wandering around at night.

---

Ornery agrees to military access. He was 'maybe' on a defensive alliance but wouldn't go for it. I probably should've tried bribing him because of what happens to him in a few turns.

---

The time seems ripe to start the invasion of the Empire so a declaration of war is sent to Ostermark as Vlad crosses the border into Essen.

Templehof obeys and the province of Ostland answers Wolfram's call to arms, but it's looking pretty grim for Ostermark. They were already at war with Kislev, Talabecland and the Red Eyez. Now they're almost completely surrounded by enemies and their soldiers are on a distant trek through mountain passes full of goblin dung.

---

Before they have any time to react, Vlad crosses the border to sack the town of Essen and prepare it for annexation by Templehof. This is an even more lopsided battle than the last one but it didn't feel right just auto-resolving the first battle against the Empire so here it is.

Battle Six, Raid on Essen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFdbqeBocSs

Spoiler: Vlad wins

The first banner we've gotten so far is taken in the sack of Essen. It'll give 25% more magic resistance to a single hero, unit or Vlad himself. There's a few different types of banners the Vampires can get. This one is okay because a lot of spells are magic damage and some units have magic damage attacks, this will reduce them both.

---

After Essen is sacked, Vlad goes into the raiding stance just outside the town. That way they won't take attrition for standing in non-corrupted lands and will still be in range to encourage Templehof to take the town for themselves. By standing by it Vlad can reinforce their attack on the town when it's their turn.

Taking influential on the vampire heroes and attaching them with Vlad is giving 8.6% corruption per turn. The percentage a province will be corrupted each turn will start to go down as the overall percentage of corruption goes up but it's a start.

---

Zhufbar starts to rebuild out of Oakenhammer. Isabella is moving into position but if Zhufbar gets much stronger she won't be able to take them on without Vlad's help.

---

You can assign a vassal or ally a war coordination target, which can be an army or settlement that they'll prioritize attacking. It usually works.

---

On the AI's turn, Zelig runs straight for it and since it's 3837 vs 150 the battle is auto-resolved.

Zelig starts to carve out his own necromantic fiefdom under Vlad and Isabella's guidance.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
I was sort of hoping for a lesson in "how to not get hosed by those omnipresent dwarf bastards", but watching them get beaten up by Greenskins seems like a decent second prize. I also totally underestimated the value of keeping Templehof around as a pet - I missed that you could assign war coordination targets. Godspeed, our filthy cheating AI friend.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well this is goddamn amazing and I wonder what, if anything, you will do about chaos and waaaghs

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

Well this is goddamn amazing and I wonder what, if anything, you will do about chaos and waaaghs

They will swear fealty or perish, just like everything else! :drac:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Doopliss posted:

I was sort of hoping for a lesson in "how to not get hosed by those omnipresent dwarf bastards", but watching them get beaten up by Greenskins seems like a decent second prize. I also totally underestimated the value of keeping Templehof around as a pet - I missed that you could assign war coordination targets. Godspeed, our filthy cheating AI friend.

The dwarfs might turn it around, it's still pretty early, but it's not looking good for them. The way to deal with them though is to build an army with all armor piercing attacks. Even if the greenskins eliminate the main dwarf clan there'll probably still be more of them to deal with in the western mointains.

And yeah, keeping Templehof as a vassal seems like a good idea but they are schemers and opportunists so they may just be building their own strength and biding their time.

Herr Tog posted:

If the greenskins take over they'll probably start flooding into Sylvania but as long as they're still fighting the dwarfs that should keep them occupied for a while. As for chaos, the quicker you expand the faster they'll show up so we'll see if they come before Vlad and Isabella make their assault on Altdorf.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

V&I don't ever really need to go south, since their victory conditions require destroying the main Bretonnia and Empire factions. Mannfred has to kill the Dwarfs, but that's thankfully not required here.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

In my experience Orcs tend to do alright early and then eat poo poo in the midgame, but we'll see.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
My issue is less beating them on the open field and more that they can strike into my heartland at pretty much any time. And while I'm trying to slowly wade over to their towns through the mountains, another one will likely declare and make my life miserable elsewhere. Compact isn't compact enough to deal with this crap, even with three stacks. Could be I should forego vassalizing Templehof to avoid antagonizing them and just bribe the hell out of every dwarf faction I share a border with, or maybe I should just swallow my pride and drop to Hard mode until I have a better feel for the campaign's broad strokes.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 10, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Herr Tog posted:

If there are Waaaghs it will be a good thing, Long Victory for Vampires requires genociding the Dwarfs; and Orcs & Goblins are a much easier fight than Dwarfs for Vampires anyway.

[edit]Actually, yeah, the von Carsteins have no reason to go south of the Border Princes anyway.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 10, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Trujillo posted:

And yeah, keeping Templehof as a vassal seems like a good idea but they are schemers and opportunists so they may just be building their own strength and biding their time.

What's the advantage of vassals at all if they're able to just ignore it and break the treaty whenever they feel like it?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mzbundifund posted:

What's the advantage of vassals at all if they're able to just ignore it and break the treaty whenever they feel like it?

Presumably you don't have to pay for their unit upkeep, and don't take diplomatic penalties for owning too many territories.

Plus having more space between your borders and enemy factions'

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Doopliss posted:

My issue is less beating them on the open field and more that they can strike into my heartland at pretty much any time. And while I'm trying to slowly wade over to their towns through the mountains, another one will likely declare and make my life miserable elsewhere. Compact isn't compact enough to deal with this crap, even with three stacks. Could be I should forego vassalizing Templehof to avoid antagonizing them and just bribe the hell out of every dwarf faction I share a border with, or maybe I should just swallow my pride and drop to Hard mode until I have a better feel for the campaign's broad strokes.

If you take out Zhufbar and Karak Kadrin, it'll be tough for the main dwarf faction to get a foothold in those mountains. When you colonize a ruin it depletes your army because your troops are the ones colonizing so if you can hit them right after they've moved into a ruin it's an automatic victory. You can try taking the Border Prince town south of Schwartzhafen and striking out at the dwarfs from there if they're giving you trouble.

ZearothK posted:

If there are Waaaghs it will be a good thing, Long Victory for Vampires requires genociding the Dwarfs; and Orcs & Goblins are a much easier fight than Dwarfs for Vampires anyway.

The Vampire Counts have to take out the Dwarfs but the von Carsteins just need to take out the three main Bretonnian factions and the Empire for their long victory, just the Empire for short.

Mzbundifund posted:

Vassals aren't treacherous by nature, it's just that Zelig has the traits "Schemer" which makes them more likely to break treaties and "Opportunist" which I think makes them more likely to attack you if you're weak but I'm not sure. The advantages to having them are they've now got two armies going despite not having a lot of land because of their base income. They'll also be a buffer between Sylvania and the Varg and Skaeling who are very annoying tribal Chaos raiders that come from the north. Templehof will eventually get agents too and send those out to raise hell and spread corruption. Relations with them are almost positive which will probably lead to them not back stabbing me once relations are high enough but I've never tried to keep a schemer as a vassal so who knows.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ah, ok. How long does it take for the "military actions against Templehof" relations debuff to decay?

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Interesting. In the past they've been relatively on-the-ball about recolonizing , but maybe I haven't been insistent enough about striking deeper. I'll try to be more stubborn about bringing the Dwarfs low before directing my attention elsewhere and funneling the raid money into Sylvania.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Ah, ok. How long does it take for the "military actions against Templehof" relations debuff to decay?

It was -161 on turn 8. It seems like it decays at 5 per turn so by turn 40 it'll be gone if the rate stays the same.

Doopliss posted:

Interesting. In the past they've been relatively on-the-ball about recolonizing , but maybe I haven't been insistent enough about striking deeper. I'll try to be more stubborn about bringing the Dwarfs low before directing my attention elsewhere and funneling the raid money into Sylvania.

I haven't done a campaign as the vampires since the game came out about a year ago so my advice there might be out of date. I think one patch notes said they increased the AI's priority on colonizing so I could be wrong.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Oh, that would definitely explain it. All the guides have been saying "raze the dwarfs' border towns so you have a buffer zone", and it hasn't appeared to result in a buffer zone so far. Dwarf genocide it is.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Turn 16

Vlad gets the first quest in his line just after Templehof occupy the objective so in a few turns it'll just say "quest aborted" and skip to the next part of the quest. These will eventually lead to quest battles which give unique items for that legendary lord that usually have faction-wide boosts. Sometimes the reward is also a hero. Some of the objectives will require a hero to walk to the opposite end of the map so it can be tedious to do the objectives. There's a mod that takes out all the objectives and just gets right to the battles. When you're able to do the quest battle, you can teleport to the spot for 5000 currency if it's too far to march which is useful for the undead because you'd take attrition marching halfway across the world to the battle site.

---

The Feasters in the Dusk, a regiment of renown crypt ghoul is unlocked. They have stalk and vanguard deployment. Stalk means that they can stay hidden even while moving through any terrain and are only revealed when they get close enough to an enemy unit.

---

Baleful Rituals finishes and research starts on spreading vampire covens. The +1 corruption in adjacent provinces stacks so it'll help spread it quicker to your own provinces and your neighbors.

As of now there's no noticeable corruption outside of Sylvania but Zhufbar, Averland, Stirland, Ostermark and Peak Pass will start getting 1-2 corruption per turn once it finishes. At 50% vampiric attrition or higher your units won't take attrition marching through the province even if you don't own it.

---

The first objective assigned at the start of the campaign is finished. The influx of dark magic is put to use in constructing the Mausoleum of the Mad Count and upgrading the gold-mining operation and upgrading Eschen to a tier two settlement.

"Now is the time for Fell Bats to blot out the sun, for gloom to fall upon the lands of the living and the Long Night to begin. The von Carsteins' dominion shall extend far and wide if the prophecies in the Liber Noctus are to come true." The second chapter objective starts, which is to occupy/loot/raze/sack 10 different settlements for even more dark magic.

---

The insatiable and wolf like Elector Counts are starting to tear the Empire apart. The mad count of Averland takes the Moot from Stirland after all the men that Stirland could muster are shot to shreds by the guns of Wissenland outside their capital.

Stirland's dead will soon rise to take revenge on their invaders.

---

When Templehof took Eschen, more provinces were revealed on the map.

Kislev's outer line of defense, Fort Jakova is now in sight, along with the Red Eye stronghold of Karak Ungor.

"Kislev is the northernmost nation of men, living between the civilized nations of men and dwarfs of the south and the barbaric tribes of the Chaos Wastes to the north." Kislev is a nation of men but currently no friend to the Empire of men, being at war with Ostermark and Ostland. The von Carsteins are also at war with them both so they're ambivalent towards us. They start with a lot of land and are currently the 8th strongest faction but they'll suffer for being so close to the Chaos Wastes later on.

---

Since Ostermark is fighting in every direction, Vlad leaves the northern war effort to Zelig and goes south to rejoin Isabella as she prepares to take the war to Zhufbar.

They've gotten an army back together pretty quickly, but Oakenhammer is a minor settlement without walls and a small garrison so if they stay there's a chance for victory.

---

Turn 17

"We have warred with the mortal usurpers of the Empire many times before; now we will teach them a final lesson!" Conflict of Men is a huge bonus, +16 to all unit leadership while fighting humans for the next 8 turns starting when war is declared on Averland, which the game gives 8 turns to do.

---

Zelig slinks his way up to the Ostermark capital of Bechafen to find it already under siege by The Grand Duchy of Talabecland.

---

The main army moves back behind the walls of Zhufbar when we approach but now Oakenhammer is lightly protected and rich. If you hover the mouse over any settlement that your race can't occupy, it'll tell you how much you'll get from sacking it. Sacking Zhufbar itself will only give ~1800 dark magic but Oakenhammer is worth ~4303.

Vlad surrounds the hold of Zhufbar but the power bar isn't looking promising. Fighting defensive siege battles is the dwarf's strongest suit and Vlad's army is too weak on its own. Oakenhammer is totally exposed to Isabella though so when she joins back up with Vlad after sacking the dwarf town the bar might move.

The battle is autoresolved but that was a mistake as the vargheists take most of the damage which is not what you want right before running to a close battle.

Isabella fills the three spots in her army with three regiments of renown: the tithe, the feasters in the dusk and the konigstein stalkers.

Isabella force marches to reach Zhufbar but even with her army reinforcing Vlad it doesn't seem it'll be enough. You need to catch them outside their walls unless you have a strong enough army to be able to assault. The skeletons would barely make it to the walls so the siege is broken and Isabella and Vlad start making their way back into Sylvania and out of the range of the Zhufbar garrison.

Turn 18

The Mausoleum of the Mad Count finishes, allowing recruitment of Vampire heroes. The first to be recruited, third in the pecking order is Hildegard Helschnicht, an uncompromising shadow vampire. With the Mausoleum, Vampire heroes will come recruited at rank 4 which allows you to start them off with two points in Influential. Eventually with Vampire Crypts, a tier IV and V building, they'll start at even higher ranks.

---

At the start of turn 18, tragedy strikes.

Our formerly soon-to-be pet goblins are groveling at Grimgor's feet. Now that he's confederated with the Bloody Spearz and the Red Eyez, Grimgor controls the whole mountain range to our east with the exception of Zhufbar's lands and the ruins of Karak Kadrin.

---

Not any day? After hearing that, the von Carsteins send a mortal servant to treat with Zhufbar. Grimgor is getting too much strength behind him. If he takes all the dwarf lands for himself Sylvania will be covered in orcs. The longer the greenskins and dwarfs fight each other the better. Taking out Zhufbar now would give Grimgor too much free space so a peace treaty is signed with Zhufbar along with a non-aggression clause. They have the reliable trait so that means they don't like to go back on their word.

Signing peace so quickly after declaring war will hurt the von Carstein reliability rating. If your reliability rating is too low, the AI won't want to make deals with you. It'll recover over time and this is the first time anything has been done to hurt our reputation and the von Carsteins are already diplomatic pariah anyways.

---

Temporary peace with Zhufbar means Vlad and Isabella can turn west to the setting sun of Averland.

---

Turn 19

War between Clan Zhufbar and Grimgor. Whoever wins, we lose.

---

"Not many men can be said to have waged wars against forests, swarms of bees and half-imagined fishmen, so it is not without good reason that Marius Leitdorf is known as the Mad Count." Not to be confused with the Isabella's father, the Sylvanian Mad Count, Marius Leitdorf of Averland is paranoid and distrustful of the other Electors. He oversees the recent addition to his domain personally. The second stack isn't an army yet, just a single General of the Empire.

Isabella raises up another unit of fell bats while waiting in Schwartzhafen. Vlad goes into ambush in the forests outside the town. Wouldn't want to startle the cattle into stampeding away when they're right where we want them.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Turn 20

"When a Vampire Count discovers a large seam of gold, he will send his minions forth to scour it clean." The gold mine upgrade finishes at Drakenhof which increases the income made from it.

---

The mad count is given one final choice, to serve the rightful Emperor and Empress in life or in death.

He chooses death.

---

By declaring war on Averland, the Vampire Wars event triggers which gives a big enough leadership buff to nearly guarantee victory in the upcoming battle.

---

Isabella and Vlad raise up some regiments of renown to shore up their armies just in case.

"Hurling itself into the fray, the pack's teeth close around limbs and do not let go." The Dire Pack is a slightly huskier version of the wolf pack, with 9 more leadership, 10 more melee attack and 8 more defense. They do anti-large damage which the regular wolves don't so they work well in combination with cavalry.

"Zombies: shuffling, mindless, ambling towards their foes - on an uneding quest for flesh." The Tithe is the regiment of renown version of zombies. There's 200 zombies in The Tithe compared to 160 for normal zombies. They have 9 more leadership, 2 more speed and slightly better weapons with 5 more melee attack and 6 more melee defense and 6 more charge bonus. They also have a 15% resistance to physical damage that zombies don't have. It's the trait icon in the bottom left corner of the unit card.

---

Before the von Carsteins can reach him, the lone general of the Empire makes a run for it, forcing Count Leitdorf to face the combined power of Isabella and Vlad alone.

Battle Seven - The Moot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H392ikwSDVU -To skip to the action, go to 4:30, the battle takes a while to get going

On legendary, battle realism mode is turned on which means you can't see the power bar or the mini map, so I take a while to merge Vlad and Isabella's armies instead of attacking straight away because I can't see the balance of power. There's just too many undead to deal with and they're overrun, too many in fact that it causes the animations to start stuttering when the whole battle is in view. I haven't seen this before but I played through a lot of turns in one session and I noticed it in a couple of the replays from it. I think something else was running and lagging my computer that time as it comes up in a few replays but not again. It strangely stops when their army completely routs.

The battle leaves a marker, 3041 casualties.

The Moot is sacked for 1571 dark magic and then re-occupied on the same turn.

The half-lings flee in terror as the von Carstein banner flutters over the Moot, but not to Averland. With Averland's army stacked up in corpse piles at the feet of the von Carsteins, Averheim and Grenzstadt are overcome with fear and the mustering bells start ringing in panic when word of the battle reaches them.

Greater Sylvania

---

On the AI's turn, Karak Hirn, a dwarf clan who are friends of Averland and inhabit the mountains south of them, will soon be joining their friends on the corpse pile.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Karak Hirn is easily the most annoying faction in the entire game. If you are the Elves, Vampires or Empire they will declare war on you just because you happened to share a continent with them, same with the Bretonnian factions by the midgame. I always make a point of razing them.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
This LP and The Empire run has convinced me to buy this game as soon as I can. It looks like a hell of a lot of fun and after Rome 2 I could use a fun Total War game.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Trujillo: First person ever to say "we should cut the dwarfs some slack to preserve the balance of power with the greenskins"?

koolkevz666 posted:

This LP and The Empire run has convinced me to buy this game as soon as I can. It looks like a hell of a lot of fun and after Rome 2 I could use a fun Total War game.
I'm adoring this game so far, despite my constant "bleeegh, I don't understand how to adapt to stuff" complaints in-thread. I got past the Dwarf bottleneck by being less of an idiot about "hey, movement types are actually useful", and am currently wasting copious amounts of time trying to deal with the Norscans force-marching around my realm constantly while I can't engage them (because you can't engage while force-marching yourself, which is sort of needed to keep up with a force-marching army). Chaos Wave the Second just started, and I fully anticipate they'll pick my kingdom apart by sheer number of stacks. I'm seriously considering breaking and downloading some campaign balance/increased move within your own territory mods.

quote:

Karak Hirn is easily the most annoying faction in the entire game. If you are the Elves, Vampires or Empire they will declare war on you just because you happened to share a continent with them, same with the Bretonnian factions by the midgame. I always make a point of razing them.
In my most recent Campaign, Karak Hirn declared on me when I had no other enemies and they had one settlement left. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 14, 2017

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
EDIT: I am a dumb person.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Well this sucks, was playing ahead and now the game keeps crashing every time the dwarfs take their turn, and because it's legendary there's not an older save I can go back to to try to avoid whatever is causing the crash.

Now I'll just fast forward and post replays of the biggest/closest battles like this one:

Might as well skip to the end if it's going to end at turn 70 anyways.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 15, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Did the Chaos invasion happen? Lots of wardecs/ treaties breaking at once can crash the game.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Did the Chaos invasion happen? Lots of wardecs/ treaties breaking at once can crash the game.

It happened a few turns before. I've tried reloading the save and trying to do more stuff in the campaign to try to somehow avert it but it keeps getting stuck on either saving or the dwarfs doing something.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
I'm very sorry to hear that - it was a high quality LP, and I was very much enjoying it. Still, I'd understand if you didn't want to run through the whole campaign to turn 70 again to pick it up again.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Doopliss posted:

I'm very sorry to hear that - it was a high quality LP, and I was very much enjoying it. Still, I'd understand if you didn't want to run through the whole campaign to turn 70 again to pick it up again.

I could start a new campaign and run it up to turn 70, but I'm thinking though since I only actually posted up to turn 20 maybe I should just do a new campaign and get to turn 20 and pick up from there. The only thing that would change is what all the other factions outside Sylvania do during the first 20 turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I hope you keep going with it, I liked the LP, but I can understand why a crash could kill your enthusiasm.

• Locked thread