Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What's supposed to happen when you declare a war for japan against the shogun? Because I just did so, with it saying all of my allies would be called in on my side. Then it made me an independent daimyo, my two biggest allies automatically had their alliances with me broken and weren't called into war on either side (yet are still vassals of the shogun), and my war is titled a war of independence. So uh, did poo poo break? That's the last couple hours down the shitter if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What's supposed to happen when you declare a war for japan against the shogun? Because I just did so, with it saying all of my allies would be called in on my side. Then it made me an independent daimyo, my two biggest allies automatically had their alliances with me broken and weren't called into war on either side (yet are still vassals of the shogun), and my war is titled a war of independence. So uh, did poo poo break? That's the last couple hours down the shitter if so.

Well, at the very least it doesn't assign the vassals to the sides at pretty much random anymore. But really, if you're in a position to go for the shogunate, you might as well clean up all other daimyos before you do so, since you most likely own most of Japan.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I still owned only a small chunk of Japan, but I was still the biggest daimyo, with the second and third biggest as allies. The game said they would join my war with me and then nope. Now I'm outnumbered and only barely holding control of Kyoto. I don't have any special treaty options or anything that says it will grant me the shogunate, only with grant independence being the only special peace option. I'm guessing poo poo broke.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Maybe Ming's mandate points should drop to 0 whenever they pass a reform, like the HRE, so they're more vulnerable.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah kind of frustrated going up against Ming, tributaries need tweaked and Ming is super stable now.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Can tributaries not vassalize other tributaries? I'm Manchu trying to clear up Korchin, but the option to force vassal them isn't showing up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I still owned only a small chunk of Japan, but I was still the biggest daimyo, with the second and third biggest as allies. The game said they would join my war with me and then nope. Now I'm outnumbered and only barely holding control of Kyoto. I don't have any special treaty options or anything that says it will grant me the shogunate, only with grant independence being the only special peace option. I'm guessing poo poo broke.

If you take Kyoto in the peace deal you will become the new shogun. Also if you don't fully annex the old shogun, they'll become independent for some reason.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I sometimes think I'm the only one who uses the 'Random Nation' feature. :smith:

I'm not sure Paradox tested it with China. :lol:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So how's the DLC looking? "Wait for the patch"?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jay Rust posted:

So how's the DLC looking? "Wait for the patch"?

In general I think it is all cool and good, mechanics just need some balancing, as with all major patches.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Mountaineer posted:

You kinda have it backwards. In the last patch the AI would raise development a lot in their colonial nations to stack a bunch of -liberty desire modifiers and keep it at 0% almost all the time. The current patch just returned things to normal.

I never developed colonies in the last patch and saw nothing near this liberty desire. 1% liberty desire per 10 development combined with everything else seems like too much but maybe I'm wrong

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I have a problem that I do not know how to solve. I'm Manchu, and I can expand pretty much nonstop towards the west and Korea as well. However, the civil war disaster is halted at 75%. My Horde Unity is at 50. If I ever go above 10% overextension, the progress on the civil war increases by 1 per month. If I conquer provinces and raze them, I am not sure it will bump my horde unity up above 75 so that it will end the disaster progress. If it didn't, I'd be sitting at a low horde unity and the disaster hitting as I am coring the provinces.

So I'm afraid of expanding at all. How do you handle this as a horde? I'm simply unable to keep up, if the strategy is to be razing all the time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Use MIL points to boost your horde unity on the government tab.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

Use MIL points to boost your horde unity on the government tab.

God damnit. I didn't think of that, I do it as monarchies all the time. Thanks. :downs:

Node fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 8, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Michael Bayleaf posted:

I never developed colonies in the last patch and saw nothing near this liberty desire. 1% liberty desire per 10 development combined with everything else seems like too much but maybe I'm wrong

Sometime ago (longer ago than the previous patch) it was pretty common that colonies owned by the AI would break free because they'd grow super big and have tons of liberty desire from all of their development, and the only ways to reduce LD were pretty expensive and not really worth doing. On the event that gives you +5% tariff value or a handful of monarch points, the common recommendation was to just take the monarch points because your colonies are just going to grow and have too much liberty desire eventually anyway and then all of that tariff value will be lost and boy won't you look silly for not taking those free like 5 monarch points.

Then sometime after Rights of Man came out it became possible to reduce LD by developing a vassal's provinces, making it relatively cheap to just spread MP over a bunch of 1/1/1 provinces to keep all of that good colonization money rolling in. The AI was doing this as well, such that colonies would only really break free if their overlord was relatively small and weak (Portugal) or getting their poo poo pushed in (other minor colonizers, sometimes Spain/Aragon getting crushed under France).

Now, in the 1.20 patch, this change was made:

quote:

- Fixed bugs that made the AI develop in subjects without much reason.

The AI was apparently spamming development without reason, and now that this is fixed LD is back to what it usually has been

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 8, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Funky Valentine posted:

My Dithmarschen game is going well, decided to consolidate as much of Westphalia as I can and bunker down for World War League.

I want to play a game as these guys but I haven't had a serious HRE game where I couldn't easily conquer outside of the HRE for probably literal years (it was back when Hamburg started as part of the Hansa) and I don't really know how hard I can push my expansion before the Emperor will have had enough. I have a vague memory from before that conquering more than 2 decent provinces in a short space of time was more or less a quick recipe for an intervention, is this still the case?

Specifically with respect to Dithmarschen what kind of strategy did you use? Other than the obvious first step of going to East Frisia (which is slightly nerfed now as it moved trade node) I've been trying to conquer my way round to Lubeck and then my plan is to annex them as well as Hamburg and Bremen and then get rich as gently caress off trade with the eventual aim of jumping Denmark. Which is another big change since last time I played in this part of the world, Denmark is loving beefy now :stonk:

Getting to 5 provinces is kind of a watermark since that lets you get the subjugation mission but that's going to mean taking 3 HRE provinces and I don't know how much of a problem that's going to cause.

E:

Welp Austria decided he wanted to ally me so that makes things pretty simple, Denmark is loving with me and inherited Holstein in 1446 but OTOH this made Austria and Poland want to buddy up.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 8, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Michael Bayleaf posted:

Liberty desire from development used to be based on hard thresholds rather than a smooth progression. It used to be that if you had a colonial nation with 99 dev, they would have 0 liberty desire from development, and then as soon as they got to 100 they'd jump to +25 LD.

The smoothly scaling way is actually much less stupid.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

QuarkJets posted:

You didn't mention the +10% morale bonus, which I assume you just overlooked. That's a big bonus.

I think you're undervaluing army tradition; it doesn't just give you god generals (which are hugely important), it also gives you huge bonuses to morale and siege ability, two of the most important modifiers for waging war. Army tradition modifiers are hard to come by because it's so powerful.

With updated forts and Defensive ideas as Uesugi your army tradition would be 60 at peacetime, without sieging or fighting anyone. Most countries have trouble maintaining that without constant forever-war. If you start fighting seriously at all then it wouldn't be hard to hit 100 tradition and be rolling 6-siege pip generals cosntantly

The diplo slot might lose immediate relevance once you've united Japan, but if you're going to conquer Asia then it's still very useful. Likewise for +Spy network. These are definitely more useful than Japan's +10% ship durability (lol). Japan's settler increase bonus is fine but loses relevance pretty quickly once you're outside of the game's early colonization window (+20 is the same as taking Native Repression, the bonus is big in the early-game but irrelevant by 1600)

Yeah I kinda forgot about the morale bonus there, and I didn't know / remember that AT gave so many bonuses... Uesugi ideas have a clear military advantage, but I still maintain that spy network building bonuses are one of the worst, claims are nice but by no means necessary and the other spy actions are mediocre at best (situationally useful to give small disadvantage to your rivals) while ship durability is underrated: not only it helps you win battles or at least outlast enemies against similar sized forces, it saves lots of money and time on not having to rebuild your fleet as often

For the kind of games I play (balancing peacetime buildup and wartime conquering) Japan is still arguably better but there is lots of merit in uesugi ideas for constantly warring the hell out of everyone

Btw after exploration what are the best idea sets for a united Japan? Guessing humanist / religious (even though having the CB last gives advantage to humanist now) and either defensive / offensive / quality? Any merit in picking up maritime or naval along with quality to buff up your navy and prevent the big boys in Asia to land on your capital and wreck your poo poo? (I know those are not optimal of course and I should go def / off / quality or quantity but I am terribly bored with having always the same military ideas)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 8, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
This expansion is definitely buggy. Oirat doesn't want to become a tributary state, and Ming gets mad and declares a tributary war. They have done this five or six times, and it isn't even 1500 yet. Each time, Ming has won, and always accepts war reparations and cash. Even if they have a 100% war score. I don't imagine this is intended behavior. Oirat should have been forced to become a tributary after the first or second war. But each time they get off with war reps and a minor amount of ducats. They keep their vassals and alliances too.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Wow uniting Japan sure is a pain in the rear end when any daimyo that becomes independent immediately accepts being a tributary to ming.

:negative:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
AE with tributaries is bugged,you should all do your Korea/Manchu games before this poo poo is fixed. All you need is a single claim and you can annex anything without a care in the world. My main problem is actually having enough admin to core everything now.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
It's now 1610 in my Manchu game. Apparently, I grossly overvalued Ming. And so did the Ming themselves because they just war decced me about five years after I stopped bending the knee to them and hey it turns out that fighting me in open plains with my five shock generals is a bad idea. Even when they outnumber me two to one I'm trashing them and all I lose are some banner units that refresh themselves practically for free. I think I'll bleed their manpower to nothing and eat every one of their tributaries while this war drags because the sons of bitches war decced me while I had a 30k army in Indonesia and there's no way those troops can come home, but that doesn't mean they have to be useless.

Then I notice the peace terms. I can't take their mandate this war because they declared on me. gently caress you Ming I'm going to eat your whole drat country.

My solution to the horde unity problem has been to take Exploration and occasionally burn down some pacific island (usually Japan) or part of the new world. Just carpet sieging up an enemy country can buy me about five years of horde unity even at -5 yearly from my 1200 development (of dogshit because I'm a horde so my average autonomy is about 60% throughout my country). The biggest issue I've had is money. With pure-Tengri, Manchu national, defensive, and economic ideas I've gotten -50% maintenance before everything else but I can barely stay at force limit. The Japanese are also surprisingly weak and it was fairly simple to divide and conquer them. I took religious ideas so I've been culture converting Korea and Japan to Manchu for more banners.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Node posted:

This expansion is definitely buggy. Oirat doesn't want to become a tributary state, and Ming gets mad and declares a tributary war. They have done this five or six times, and it isn't even 1500 yet. Each time, Ming has won, and always accepts war reparations and cash. Even if they have a 100% war score. I don't imagine this is intended behavior. Oirat should have been forced to become a tributary after the first or second war. But each time they get off with war reps and a minor amount of ducats. They keep their vassals and alliances too.

Yeah, the AI seems to forget its war goals. I keep seeing subjects declare independence wars, win the war, then forget to demand independence in the peace deal.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Sometime ago (longer ago than the previous patch) it was pretty common that colonies owned by the AI would break free because they'd grow super big and have tons of liberty desire from all of their development, and the only ways to reduce LD were pretty expensive and not really worth doing. On the event that gives you +5% tariff value or a handful of monarch points, the common recommendation was to just take the monarch points because your colonies are just going to grow and have too much liberty desire eventually anyway and then all of that tariff value will be lost and boy won't you look silly for not taking those free like 5 monarch points.

Then sometime after Rights of Man came out it became possible to reduce LD by developing a vassal's provinces, making it relatively cheap to just spread MP over a bunch of 1/1/1 provinces to keep all of that good colonization money rolling in. The AI was doing this as well, such that colonies would only really break free if their overlord was relatively small and weak (Portugal) or getting their poo poo pushed in (other minor colonizers, sometimes Spain/Aragon getting crushed under France).

Now, in the 1.20 patch, this change was made:

The AI was apparently spamming development without reason, and now that this is fixed LD is back to what it usually has been

The common wisdom of never increasing tariffs was based on a misunderstanding of how good a 5% bonus is that apparently most EU4 players fell into without ever actually experimenting with it. It's a really big increase, because you only start with a 5% tariff.

Always Be Raising Tariffs

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Jazerus posted:

The common wisdom of never increasing tariffs was based on a misunderstanding of how good a 5% bonus is that apparently most EU4 players fell into without ever actually experimenting with it. It's a really big increase, because you only start with a 5% tariff.

I think it's because most people think it's a 100% scale, so you get 105% tariff, rather than 200%.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is trivially easy to manage liberty desire with an occasional "placate ruler", and raising traffis ends up really paying in the long run

My last game I had a colony in Mexico area that alone gave me a 40 G gold income (not counting the gold shippments)

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I developed for Renaissance as Korea and got Colonialism from Alaska but now I'm questioning if that was a good call since that poo poo spreads fast to Ming anyway. How do people usually handle institutions in East Asia?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jazerus posted:

I think they should show more info in the box... like:

INCREASE TARIFFS 5%
Monthly Tariff income will increase 2.1d

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

You don't do that via treaty. you immediately get the shogunate just for owning Kyoto.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ming is such a nice overlord. They returned a shitton of Manchu cores to me after they beat up Yeren. They also gave me a western province after I asked nicely. This seems like a situation they would want to avoid in real life.

I'm still dirt poor but look at all my undeveloped steppe land!

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is trivially easy to manage liberty desire with an occasional "placate ruler", and raising traffis ends up really paying in the long run

My last game I had a colony in Mexico area that alone gave me a 40 G gold income (not counting the gold shippments)

Are you talking about the current patch? Because I really doubt you could do that now. Even with 85% trust, 20% tariffs, and 200 relations, my 200 development Brazil is sitting at 40% liberty desire. Also admin efficiency hasn't even shown up yet since it's 1600. It's not so much of a big deal for a human player but I doubt you'll see many AI nations keeping their decent sized colonies past 1650 at this rate.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Michael Bayleaf posted:

Are you talking about the current patch? Because I really doubt you could do that now. Even with 85% trust, 20% tariffs, and 200 relations, my 200 development Brazil is sitting at 40% liberty desire. Also admin efficiency hasn't even shown up yet since it's 1600. It's not so much of a big deal for a human player but I doubt you'll see many AI nations keeping their decent sized colonies past 1650 at this rate.

Hum, no, sorry. I wanst even aware that this had changed.

Might be a good change, in all my recent games, no CN ever got independent unless I helped then

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
So developing a province to force Institutions in Asia just permanently fucks over the European powers that game. It's possible that you personally fall behind in tech than where you'd be if you put those points into tech instead, but even the steppe hordes are keeping pace with the Russians in tech.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Schizotek posted:

So developing a province to force Institutions in Asia just permanently fucks over the European powers that game. It's possible that you personally fall behind in tech than where you'd be if you put those points into tech instead, but even the steppe hordes are keeping pace with the Russians in tech.

good

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Pretty sure that's the best I've ever seen an AI nation do by this stage. Slightly scary!

In general the AI feels better this game but it could just be chance. The Brits have been attacking France and actually landing troops to fight most of the time

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Michael Bayleaf posted:

Pretty sure that's the best I've ever seen an AI nation do by this stage. Slightly scary!

In general the AI feels better this game but it could just be chance. The Brits have been attacking France and actually landing troops to fight most of the time

Wait.

AI.

Naval Invasions?

... are you sure we're talking about EU4 here?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Michael Bayleaf posted:

As the Ottomans I just got jumped by Hungary who pulled Austria in with them in 1455. I'm low on manpower and knee deep in the Mamluks. Seems a little fast for Hungary to have enough favors with Austria to be able to pull them into a war that they cant promise them land, but otherwise I was impressed with the AI's aggression.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If have at least one Indian tributary (I had Jharkand), most likely they'll be attacked and you'll be called in to protect them. This makes it real easy to leapfrog your way around, taking random bits of territory. Have a huge presence in India before 1500!

E: Tributaries also extend your colonial range like a vassal, right? At the very least, you can park in their ports.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 9, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Michael Bayleaf posted:

Vertical Ottomans is pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm more impressed by super-Khorasan.

Also lol at the white province noodle (Austria ?) stabbing Ottoman Ukraine. Reminds me of eu3 1.0 when all countires ended up twenty princes long and two across.

• Locked thread