Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
You whisper to it ludely as the glue dries.

Nice bat rep Muggins! Looking forward to next year.

Fresh page. E for content.

I got my grenadiers from redoubt. I liked the sculpts but the molds are old and lined up poorly. Would not recommend.

At a certain point I just gave the gently caress up on painting them.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Phi230 posted:

How do you get your static grass to stand up so nicely

Which photo?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Phi230 posted:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

There are a fair few bulk sellers on eBay which will give you tufts for years. I got two sets of tufts for I think £7 each and I'm =barely through one sheet and they go on everything. Here's an example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Serious-P...%3D271155420183

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DiHK posted:

You whisper to it ludely
Sounds gaymey.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

We tried Five Men At Kursk tonight!

I liked the reaction and activation mechanics, but I wasn't really a fan of how... dicey it was. One dude firing a rifle rolls 1 kill die and 1 shock die. The kill die is a 1/6 chance of killing outright and 1/6 chance of disabling temporarily, while the shock dice is a 1/6 of mildly inconveniencing and 1/6 of disabling.

Since your force is only a handful of dudes, each dice most likely does absolutely nothing but might wipe out a massive chunk of the enemy force. It felt like it left too much to chance.

It was a very nice change of pace though, and I particularly liked how fast each game was.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
My experience definitely tracked with that; I felt a lot of it was based on random rolls. OTOH, I like infinity which is somewhat similar, so I couldn't say why this bugged me more.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
This is the part where I batch paint 16 cavalry at once and it feels like a glacial pace:

Oh and I forgot that I need command too. Now I'm stuck deciding between £10 for a metal command from Perry, or £17 (got a 15% coupon) for a warlord box of 13 more lancers with command.
After all, the second row is supposed to wield sabres and guns.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Phi230 posted:

I make small blobs of CA glue, dump static grass on it, turn the model upside down and tap on the base with a file.
the grass will then be all up and spiky, and the CA sets quick enough that it doesnt fall back under gravity.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Cross-posting from the Oath Thread for all you CoC-lovers: my new JOP markers!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Studio Tomahawk has probably the cruelest April Fool's Day prank ever:

Prehistoricals: We love Ugg!

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Studio Tomahawk has probably the cruelest April Fool's Day prank ever:

Prehistoricals: We love Ugg!

I'd play it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Commissar Kip posted:

I'd play it.

That's what makes it so cruel!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
That makes me feel guilty for buying another ruleset and then dropping the project for a new shiny thing. I swear I'll play you some day, Prehistoric Settlement!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
A guy is running Chevauchee campaign on the Anglo-Scottish border, it's some hilarious muder hobo action!

Starts and details the first battle (I think)here!

Current thread is here.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

My favorite MDF terrain company cutting in on lilljonas' livelihood:

http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/28mm-japanese-style-house-28mmdf177/

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

My favorite MDF terrain company cutting in on lilljonas' livelihood:

http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/28mm-japanese-style-house-28mmdf177/

It's just a flood of japanese mdf terrain lately! I'm not complaining, but I wish more of them did research so as to not make obvious mistakes in the architecture.

E like, maybe 50% at most even bothered to learn what a genkan is.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I figured it was about time the Royalists got some love in my P&S collection, here are some Northumbrian Pike, and what I'm going to call Maurice's Firelocks:

Again, rather quickly painted and shooting outside washes out the highlights/shading somewhat - but overall I'm pleased for a few hours work each.

Not vast amounts remaining, and so I think I'll round off the Parliamentarian forces first with some blue coats...

Royalist
Shotte Rgt
Shotte Rgt
Pike Rgt
Cavalry Rgt
Firelock Rgt
Commander
Standard

Parliamentarian
Shotte Rgt
Shotte Rgt
Pike Rgt
Cavalry Rgt
Cavalry Rgt
Commander
Standard

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 2, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Gosh, that certainly killed this thread dead, didn't it?

So as I may have mentioned earlier I do like the idea of playing a napoleonic wargame in addition to CoC and P&S but honestly I don't know if I have the painting stamina. I started looking at printing regiment flags and then I was considering pasting them onto the 4x3cm MDF bases I bought - but now I think it might be better to use something more akin to the unit markers in old WD battle reports and in Kriegsspiel:

http://dh2010.cch.kcl.ac.uk/images/full/715_Fig1.jpg

I would be interested in any insight on how to differentiate units (since they've all got the same base size) both as types (inf, cav, art) and discrete variants (hussars, cuirrasiers, etc.).

The units pictured above seem to have a variety of markings that make almost zero sense to me :)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ah, it looks like this page has a definition on them:

http://www.photoncutterstudios.com/kriegsspiel.html

Seems that infantry have a stripe on the front, cavalry have either plain, striped or double-striped diagonal lines depending on their class, and then half width objects for artillery. I wonder at this point if it might be worth using OS maps even if using Lasalle rules...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

No, those were awesome looking. I just wish I had more time for painting...

At least we got in a third game of SP2, and we're figuring out all the mistakes we make with the ruleset.

As for gaming napoleonics without having to paint a ton of minis, I'd look into paper figures. There's both the "cube" style, like this:

cube

Or the larger cut-out like this dude did:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75581024@N02/sets/72157629137714976/

I think it looks pretty good considering the vast amount of time you'd save and transportation would be a breeze!

E: I also have ToH waiting for me in at the post office, and look forward to try it out.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 4, 2017

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Looking at picking up some mid-13th century crusades miniatures as it's a period that's always fascinated me. Any opinions on the best rulesets? I'm aware of Crescent and Cross, Deus Vult and Lion Rampant but I'm always on the lookout for more.

Also, I'm searching for some miniatures suitable for Old Prussian / Lithuanian (pagan) soldiers around the same time or a little later (I know that the "modernisation" of troops in the area didn't really happen until the mid 13th century, so that's fine) - anyone know where I might be able to find some? I have some Teutonic knights that are on my list and I'd love to play out some of the Prussian crusade.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Just a heads up for everyone: Warlord games are doing a slightly ludicrous buy 2 get one (nearly) free on a selection of vehicles at the moment: https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/deals/products/wheels-of-steel

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Bafflingly there appear to be no soviet tanks (even T-34s!) in the offer, but it does include the Greyhound :psyduck:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

That offer is definitely to get rid of excess stock, T-34s probably sell too well.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
So I went to my local museum today and they had some 20mm Romans!

And by some I mean the entire Legio IX Hispania.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
:stare:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Made my first diorama piece.

Top end Australia.
tips, pointers, critique?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Needs a crocodile

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Needs like a thousand cane toads

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
That looks awesome m8

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Kommando posted:

Top end Australia.

noice

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

not an empty quote

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kommando posted:

Top end Australia.

Needs some enemy.

Send in the Emus!

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Needs some enemy.

Send in the Emus!

i've looked for 6mm emus but noone makes them.

I'm sanding rocks down to make termite mounds. What have I become?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

My 50pts of TY Soviets is basically finished.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Picked up the new FoW book in the FLGS yesterday. Took a quick skim of it. Seems like they decided the way to balance out Hen and Chicks being unfun was to give it to everyone. Lots of odd decisions made here.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

v4 is definitely a thing... Our club seems a bit torn on it.

c0cky30
Sep 10, 2016
CHAIN OF COMMAND - MOGADISHU
Latest After Action report

http://taskforceranger.blogspot.com.au/2017/04/after-action-report-hunting-dahir-redux.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What really irritates me is that I now have a bunch of gun platoon command units and like a half-dozen or so observer/kubelwagen pairs that are useless for the game. Thanks for that Battlefront!