Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My only exposure to Invincible is that one crossover with Marvel where he's guessing everyone's names based on their appearance and though Luke Cage was called "Black-Man"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

My only exposure to Invincible is that one crossover with Marvel where he's guessing everyone's names based on their appearance and though Luke Cage was called "Black-Man"?

He was right on with using Fabio-Man for Sentry though. And he thought Jessica Drew was Bat-Woman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Seth Rogan made the Green Hornet which should tell you all you need to know about an Invincible film.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Seth Rogan made the Green Hornet which should tell you all you need to know about an Invincible film.

He also made Preacher which everyone seems to like.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

He was right on with using Fabio-Man for Sentry though. And he thought Jessica Drew was Bat-Woman.

I had to look it up and he calls Wolverine Claw-Man.

I got really bored with preacher because it seemed like there was too much people with southern accents being lovely to each other between the Cassidy parts. I had the same problem with Better Call Saul. I knew it was good on an intellectual level, but it never clicked with me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

He also made Preacher which everyone seems to like.

Wasn't the popular opinion that the show doesn't really get good until the third or fourth episode? You know, when Rogan wasn't directing anymore? The man's not good at putting together something that looks good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Wasn't the popular opinion that the show doesn't really get good until the third or fourth episode? You know, when Rogan wasn't directing anymore? The man's not good at putting together something that looks good.

I have no clue as I never watched it because I never liked the book. I'm just going by the reception I've heard which was that it was good.

twistedmentat posted:

I had to look it up and he calls Wolverine Claw-Man.

Doesn't he also call Iron Man something like Robo-Man which itself is funny since one of his supporting characters is simply named Robot.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Preacher ramps up fast and gets amazing.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 6, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I have no clue as I never watched it because I never liked the book. I'm just going by the reception I've heard which was that it was good.

Going by the popular goon opinion, the pilot sucks and then the show takes off. And I mean, the pilot is ugly as poo poo. Just like GH. Rogan and Goldberg suck. They're good producers and idea men I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rogen didn't direct Green Hornet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

X-O posted:

I thought it was awful. I never expect a show to be exactly like it's source comic, it needs some variation to modernize it. But Preacher actively shat on the comic, actively making the characters completely opposite their comic counterpart.

Only redeeming quality was Cassidy, and only because Gilgun was great.

Even if I hadn't read the books, I can't see enjoying it other than a few key moments. But then, I also generally don't find Seth Rogen funny.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

Doesn't he also call Iron Man something like Robo-Man which itself is funny since one of his supporting characters is simply named Robot.

Yep

http://i.imgur.com/VI0Ui.jpg

And yea, Preacher the comic was this crazy road trip that had angels and a an apocalyptic secret society with an inbred Christ Child, the show was rednecks rednecking it up. As I said, Cassidy was a good interpretation of the character, but that was about it. Tulip never did enough for me to judge her character vs the comics.

I am going to give Legion a chance, I liked the first episode but I was turned off by having a bunch of characters that felt like knockoffs of well known x-men.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Going by the popular goon opinion, the pilot sucks and then the show takes off. And I mean, the pilot is ugly as poo poo. Just like GH. Rogan and Goldberg suck. They're good producers and idea men I guess.

Dude, Michel Gondry directed that movie. I've never seen it but I have a real problem believing that the directing was the problem.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

twistedmentat posted:

Yep

http://i.imgur.com/VI0Ui.jpg

And yea, Preacher the comic was this crazy road trip that had angels and a an apocalyptic secret society with an inbred Christ Child, the show was rednecks rednecking it up. As I said, Cassidy was a good interpretation of the character, but that was about it. Tulip never did enough for me to judge her character vs the comics.

I am going to give Legion a chance, I liked the first episode but I was turned off by having a bunch of characters that felt like knockoffs of well known x-men.
Luckily Season 2 is about the road trip

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
noted bad director michael gondry aka seth rogen

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

achillesforever6 posted:

Luckily Season 2 is about the road trip

That's good. I have no idea why they decided to do the Meat guy as the first story arc.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

twistedmentat posted:

That's good. I have no idea why they decided to do the Meat guy as the first story arc.
Basically it was meant to act as the catalyst for Jesse and crew to search for God, plus it was a reason to show how great of an actor Jackie Earle Haley is.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The best dig on the violence in Invincible is in the (I believe) Benito Cereno penned cross over with the Tick. Upon learning that the bad guys were non-sentient and full of red jelly they go to town on a fully two page spread of jelly soaked violence that is indistinguishable from a spread in Invincible.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Throwdown posted:

Preacher ramps up fast and gets amazing.

And hits a wall invalidating the whole season. It was kinda a mess in hindsight, a good looking mess though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Movie I recently learned about - Brenda Starr from the late 1980s starring Brooke Shields and Timothy Dalton (who had to leave James Bond to be in this movie). How bad is it?

By all accounts it is terrible, and ordinarily the words "starring Brooke Shields" would have me giving it a wide berth, but on the Wikipedia page for the film, there's a quote from Shields which says the movie got the jump on the post-Batman superhero movie boom, which intrigues me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's a rumor going around based on an Italian publication that Stallone is playing Stakar Ogord in Guardians of the Galaxy 2. In the comics he's better known by the name Starhawk. If true and Michael Rosenbaum's character is as tied to Stallone's as Gunn said then he might be another of the original Guardians.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

There's a rumor going around based on an Italian publication that Stallone is playing Stakar Ogord in Guardians of the Galaxy 2. In the comics he's better known by the name Starhawk. If true and Michael Rosenbaum's character is as tied to Stallone's as Gunn said then he might be another of the original Guardians.

You should probably do Starhawk as a Handbook entry then!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe Lex Luthor Rosenbaum is playing Vance Astro!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Maybe he's playing Buried Alien.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lobok posted:

Starhawk is the son of Ayesha, the villain of this film, in the comics. Not sure they'd go there though.

Rhyno posted:

He could also be Wendell Vaughn, Starhawk's dad. Again, don't think that's where they're going though. I'd guess Vance or maybe Martinex if so.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Vance is a mutant so I wonder if they have the rights to him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

I will trust the word of One Who Knows.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Finally got round to watching The Phantom.

Broadly positive towards it. I think it's a lot better than The Shadow, which I watched a while ago, which is odd because I've always liked the Shadow better than the Phantom as far as the old pulp proto-superheroes go. I think The Phantom is generally better-written, better-acted and better-looking.

I enjoy the cast in this movie a lot. Billy Zane is good fun as the Phantom, Treat Williams is great fun as the villain, Catherine Zeta-Jones was fun as the daring sky pirate aviatrix (I sort of wish the movie had been about her). One of the screenwriters for this movie was Jeffrey Boam, who wrote (among other things) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and I think it shows. The Phantom was nowhere near as good as that movie but I think it does a better job at evoking its period setting and leaning into its old film serial influences than the Shadow did (one of the first things on screen is a title card that reads "For those who came in late..." before it recaps the Phantom's origin), without being a full-on cartoon like Dick Tracy was.

What didn't I like about it? Well, it's a throwback to the pulps and that means it inevitably ends up being a wee bit questionable about how it treats race. Phantom is still the white guy who goes to Darkest AfricaTM to learn mystical arts and become the protector of the jungle or whatever. I'm sure they didn't mean any harm by it (I've enough familiarity with the pulps to know when writers did) but it is what it is, no getting around that. :shrug:

Aside from that, there's little stuff like supporting characters vanishing as soon as they're not needed any more (e.g. Kristy Swanson's character's dad, the Colonel Blimp guy in charge of the jungle patrol) which was a little distracting. There's the Singh Brotherhood, who felt like they should've been a bigger deal. It felt like they were there because they're classic Phantom villains and they end up feeling wasted; Xander Drax should've been the chief antagonist. Likewise, it felt sort of weird that Quill was the guy who took out the last Phantom, because he seemed like too much of a henchman to have done that; it'd be like if The Force Awakens had casually revealed that Luke Skywalker had been killed by General Hux in between movies.

The Phantom's costume looks sort of goofy but that's just part and parcel of the character. :v:

As far as contemporaneous movies go, I'd rank it below The Rocketeer or The Mask of Zorro but I like it fine on its own. It's better than, say, Wild, Wild West.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lobok posted:

Done.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Thor: Ragnarok first trailer dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MGUNV8MxU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Oh, holy poo poo, that headpiece on Hela!!! Fuckin' outstanding!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

That looks fantastic. Hunt for the Wilderpeople was one of my favourites from last year so I've got high hopes for this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is that Skurge at 1:04?

Cate Blanchett looks amazing.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Both the line and the delivery of it when xxx Hulk xxx is revealed is amazing.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

We got Kirby dots, boys

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

That looks loving fantastic.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

zoux posted:

Is that Skurge at 1:04?

Cate Blanchett looks amazing.

Yeah, that's Karl Urban as Skurge.

Such a gorgeous looking movie so far. Maximum Kirby. It may out-Kirby Guardians of the Galaxy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently using classic rock unlocks the awesome power of trailers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, that's Karl Urban as Skurge.

Woah holy poo poo what did I do to deserve this? Because that looks loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

All that plus Jeff Goldblum makes this film :perfect:

• Locked thread