Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Paradoxish posted:

Isn't this all part of the same problem? My understanding of the situation is that hyperaggressive new car financing is creating a glut of used cars, which in turn is tanking prices and biting financing companies in the rear end. The auto market in general seems exceptionally hosed at the moment thanks to manufacturers pulling out all the stops to build unsustainable demand.

Some of it is because production fell in the recession (2009-ish according to this article). Then there's apparently a flood of cars from 2013-2016 coming off lease or being repossessed. So, very little inventory in the price range of 5-8 year old cars; a lot of inventory of 1-5 year old cars.

quote:

The Great Recession’s ghost is suddenly appearing at used car lots across the United States.

The situation amounts to a collision between timing and math: When the auto industry imploded in 2009, the number of vehicles it produced fell sharply, with the decline lasting more than two years. Fast forward to 2017 and there are fewer cars from those recession model years available to budget-minded buyers in the used car market.

“There’s a big-time shortage because of that lack of new car sales,” that began in 2009, said Ivan Drury, senior analyst for automotive consulting firm Edmunds.

Meanwhile, explosive growth in the leasing of new cars has sent even more upheaval into the market, as a flood of 1-, 2- and 3-year-old cars come back off lease and end up on dealership lots.

“If you’re looking for a 2009 or a 2010 model, your odds are not all that good because we simply didn’t sell that many,” Drury said. “If you roll that together now with this explosion of leasing in 2012 and 2013 and even higher for 2014, and we have this kind of lumpy, bizarre supply line that I really can’t think of that we’ve seen ever.”

That supply situation plays right into the wheelhouse of Jordan Paszek, a 24-year-old who is in his first job post-college at an actuarial firm in Illinois.

Paszek is ready to buy a car to replace his 1999 model that has about 175,000 miles on it. The car has served him well, but it’s time for an upgrade.

“It’s been a goal that I’ve had for a handful of months,” said Paszek. “I’ve probably been aware of it for over a year, that I would need to upgrade my car at some point.”

However, Paszek also is carefully budgeting to deal with student loan debt after four years at Dominican College in New York and a year of post-graduate work at the University of Wisconsin at Madison.

“I was not even considering buying anything new,” he said. A newer model used car is “what I’ve been targeting the last month or two,” he said.

A newer car that was part of a fleet or is coming back off lease is “the sweet spot in terms of absolute value — what you are paying for what you are getting,” said Jim Tolkan, president of the Automobile Dealers Association of Mega Milwaukee and a former GM dealer.

That’s because there are so many of those vehicles that are coming in off leases.

Look for that trend to continue. “There was a significant increase in 2016 over 2015 in late model used cars coming into the market, and I think it peaks between 2017 and 2018,” Tolkan said. “There will be a peak because of so many lease deals.”

The flood of newer model used cars coming off lease and entering the marketplace is putting downward price pressure on some of those models, even as the average price of used cars rises because of the fleet’s age: Younger cars cost more.

So your older trade-in is likely worth more than it was at the same time last year, and the newer used car you might be considering might be a bit less expensive than it might have been last year.

“That’s what I’m hoping,” Paszek said.

But what if you are looking for something older in the $8,000 to $10,000 range?

“It’s going to take a little bit more internet research and expanding your radius,” to find it, Drury said.

Besides fewer sales of new cars during the recession, the federal government’s Cash for Clunkers program pulled nearly 700,000 cars out of the nation’s fleet in late 2009. The program required that the cars be destroyed and scrapped.

Dealers in southern Wisconsin say they are doing their best to keep the older model vehicles in stock.

“When you start looking at the price range of $8,000 to $10,000 retail, there’s not much around,” said Jim Griffin, president of the Griffin Automotive Group of dealerships in metro Milwaukee. “They are hard to find.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Dawncloack posted:

I doubt, personally, the US is going to disengage. You don't increase your army massively to, then, not use it.

I agree with you we are in for more than a recession. I think we are facing extinction.

You can very much increase the military and use it for little more than raiding terrorist camps, and flinging around drones and cruise missiles.

It can be done purely as a roundabout form of welfare, depending on where the money is spent. All those American jobs building tanks and planes that go straight into mothballs. Or even just paying kids from the rust belt to shine boots for a few years, and then send them off to college.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I leased a Chevy Cruze last year for 24 months, with 30k miles, for a total price of $1,400 which I put on my credit card at the dealership. There's no way that can be sustainable. Looking at the best lease deals around right now, there are tons of new cars available for under $200/mo with less than $2k down... I can't blame people for not buying used at those prices.

call to action fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 23, 2017

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

call to action posted:

I leased a Chevy Cruze last year for 24 months, with 30k miles, for a total price of $1,400 which I put on my credit card at the dealership. There's no way that can be sustainable. Looking at the best lease deals around right now, there are tons of new cars available for under $200/mo with less than $2k down... I can't blame people for not buying used at those prices.

For years I've been told that leasing is a Bad Idea(tm). Are these terms actually worthwhile?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

anonumos posted:

For years I've been told that leasing is a Bad Idea(tm). Are these terms actually worthwhile?

Leasing is a fine way to constantly drive a new car if you want to drive a new car. If you qualify for targeted offers, leasing can also be an unbelievably cheap way to drive a new car. Watch here: https://leasehackr.com/

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Leasing is also a great way to drive cars you dont want to own outside of warranty periods with less headache

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That's some funny poo poo because it's happened to the Auto industry before. Not something like it that exact same thing. You think they'd learn. It's literally a textbook example.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Last Week Tonight did a program about car loans half a year back it might be related in some way, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U2eDJnwz_s :shrug:

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

Leasing is a fine way to constantly drive a new car if you want to drive a new car. If you qualify for targeted offers, leasing can also be an unbelievably cheap way to drive a new car. Watch here: https://leasehackr.com/

Leasehackr is the poo poo and exactly how I found my last deal. There's currently something almost as good if you currently lease a non-GM car (possibly Japanese only), brinigng payments down to something dumb like $100/mo for 12k miles/yr.

Leasing can be a bad idea, but at those prices it's barely more expensive than an older used car's maintenance and depreciation. Plus it owns to know you're covered for anything that happens to the car mechanically, and the only thing you need to do is change the oil and rotate the tires (sometimes you can even turn the car in with the original set!).

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/business/economy/jobs-report-retail-employment.html

Holy poo poo, nearly 35k jobs lost in retail in a single month

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Well, now that Obama's out of office you're free to openly criticize economic performance again

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Automated away by way more efficient warehouses.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

MiddleOne posted:

Automated away by way more efficient warehouses.

DHL Supply Chain to test collaborative robots

Recent retailer chain losses to far in addition to Macy/JCpenny
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/04/05/america-is-over-stored-and-payless-shoesource-is-the-latest-victim/
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/hhgregg-to-shut-down-after-failing-to-obtain-a-buyer

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/850433023929614338

Economy not looking strong.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Let's give the rich more money for them to hoard. I'm sure that'll help this time.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

This isn't hugely out of line with first quarter GDP over the last several years. I hate to be that guy, but people mostly want to talk about it now because we've got Trump in office instead of Obama. The truth is that the US economy has been stuck in the mud for most of this recovery and it only seems okay relative to most of the rest of the world. Good employment growth has really been the only thing driving the narrative that the economy is healthy.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 8, 2017

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
By most of the rest of the world, do you mean... The Eurozone? Because it seems to me that USA has been pretty average among first-world countries that have currency sovereignty and haven't enacted or haven't been politically able to enact full austerity.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

This isn't hugely out of line with first quarter GDP over the last several years. I hate to be that guy, but people mostly want to talk about it now because we've got Trump in office instead of Obama. The truth is that the US economy has been stuck in the mud for most of this recovery and it only seems okay relative to most of the rest of the world. Good employment growth has really been the only thing driving the narrative that the economy is healthy.

Also I am mildly pissed that Very Serious Persons with milky, uncalloused hands have managed to ignore that the vaunted Obama Recovery was overwhelmingly (as in: 90%+) based in permatemp contracting when it wasn't part time.

http://dataspace.princeton.edu/jspui/bitstream/88435/dsp01zs25xb933/3/603.pdf

Hillary "America is already great" Clinton is a garbagelady and the DNC needs to be reformed with hot tar and pincers

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

uncop posted:

By most of the rest of the world, do you mean... The Eurozone? Because it seems to me that USA has been pretty average among first-world countries that have currency sovereignty and haven't enacted or haven't been politically able to enact full austerity.

What other countries are there in the first world? The UK's and Canada's economies have not done better than America's, Australia's has but only because it's a mining and commodoties rentier state, Japan is Japan, .... Maybe Sweden has registered better growth? That's about it

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

What other countries are there in the first world? The UK's and Canada's economies have not done better than America's, Australia's has but only because it's a mining and commodoties rentier state, Japan is Japan, .... Maybe Sweden has registered better growth? That's about it

It really cannot be understated just how poo poo the rest of the first world is doing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

icantfindaname posted:

Sweden isn't even first world, so it doesn't count.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paradoxish posted:

Would you argue that much of that employment growth has only expanded the precariat class with more permatemp contract and part-time work for fewer benefits and at less wages before the crisis? Also too the gig economy has grown.

This recovery is a house of cards.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I think employment in general is a super lovely metric because its usefulness is more or less limited to the question "is the economy currently in recession right now y/n." Even then you need to be looking at some kind of rolling average and not just a single month's jobs figures to be sure that you aren't seeing noise. Quality of jobs (however you want to define that), wages, etc. are definitely way more useful if you're interested in answering the question of whether or not an economic expansion is actually working to benefit a large number of people. Most of that data from the last eight or so years is much less optimistic.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Confounding Factor posted:

Would you argue that much of that employment growth has only expanded the precariat class with more permatemp contract and part-time work for fewer benefits and at less wages before the crisis? Also too the gig economy has grown.

This recovery is a house of cards.

Pretty much all of the actual growth in the recovery also went to the rich.

Overall there's been a recovery but very few people are benefiting from it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Willie Tomg posted:

Also I am mildly pissed that Very Serious Persons with milky, uncalloused hands have managed to ignore that the vaunted Obama Recovery was overwhelmingly (as in: 90%+) based in permatemp contracting when it wasn't part time.

http://dataspace.princeton.edu/jspui/bitstream/88435/dsp01zs25xb933/3/603.pdf

Hillary "America is already great" Clinton is a garbagelady and the DNC needs to be reformed with hot tar and pincers

Hillary wasn't wrong she she that. America has plenty of issues, but its still better than ~90% of the planet

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sweden isn't even first world, so it doesn't count.

Are you defining it as "Third World" because it isn't part of the NATO or NATO aligned countries nor is it part of the former Soviet Bloc?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Hillary wasn't wrong she she that. America has plenty of issues, but its still better than ~90% of the planet

Why the Democrats are going to lose every election for the next 20 years.txt

(Assuming we still have elections in anything but name)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lote posted:

Are you defining it as "Third World" because it isn't part of the NATO or NATO aligned countries nor is it part of the former Soviet Bloc?
Yes. The reasons for them being part of the "Third World" still apply to this day, and with the Cold War starting up again the original meaning of the term should take precedence over the '90s meaning of the word.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Surely Sweden is mega Russophobic tho, what with their lost empire and all that?

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

icantfindaname posted:

Surely Sweden is mega Russophobic tho, what with their lost empire and all that?

Eh, Swedish nationalism is derived from "modern" values, we are very proud in how not proud we are of our country, so any outwards display of nationalism are shunned. There was a big debate a while back if people wearing Sweden flag t-shirts outside sporting events are racist, like "confederate flag style on car" racist. It's weird.

So no real dreams of the glory days of Swedish dominance outside the far right.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

There's been 2 world wars since then.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth

Lote posted:

It's because he is Danish and therefore doesn't know how to count to three properly.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

A country is great when it:

a) Outperforms other countries on defined metrics
b) Meets or exceeds metrics of human development regardless of what others countries are doing

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

There's been 2 world wars since then.

Lol yeah sure, like I'm supposed to believe the Swedish PM doesn't have a secret plan to recapture St Petersburg in a locked suitcase

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Lol yeah sure, like I'm supposed to believe the Swedish PM doesn't have a secret plan to recapture St Petersburg in a locked suitcase

Sssssssshhhhhh, how is Carl Bildt supposed to enact his conspiracy to topple the Russian autocracy if we keep talking about it! :mad:

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

I think employment in general is a super lovely metric because its usefulness is more or less limited to the question "is the economy currently in recession right now y/n." Even then you need to be looking at some kind of rolling average and not just a single month's jobs figures to be sure that you aren't seeing noise. Quality of jobs (however you want to define that), wages, etc. are definitely way more useful if you're interested in answering the question of whether or not an economic expansion is actually working to benefit a large number of people. Most of that data from the last eight or so years is much less optimistic.

Seconded. In an ideal keynesian world employment is a pretty useful metric because it informs how much a state can productively deficit spend and also how much unused production potential (potential extra GDP growth) there is. In a monetarist world it just informs central bank interest policy and there ain't nothing politicians can do except pray to the free market fairy and beat up labor into more flexibility.

As long as unemployment is fought almost exclusively with supply-side measures and sub-5% unemployment is immediately countered with central bank policy, the connection between reducing unemployment and improving lives is severed.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So do people looking to have kids these days just not care that their kids will probably never work a "real" job, or...?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

call to action posted:

So do people looking to have kids these days just not care that their kids will probably never work a "real" job, or...?

Most people looking to have kids these days don't have a "real" job anyway.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
"My kids will be as smart as me and will surely be members of the upper class trillionaires after I help put the Other in its place."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

call to action posted:

Most people don't make their babbymaking decisions based on a hypothetical job market twenty years in the future.

• Locked thread