Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

You're welcome.

(I'm the one who lead the fight to get them removed after they were added. Many of the people on their forums do not like me very much anymore, they were very very committed to crafting timers being a good thing.)

Thank you and keep fighting the good fight.

I really hope simple modding will be possible so I can get rid of stupid poo poo like the submarine being killable.

e: Jesus christ. Looking further at that video, they put a ton of work into making the thing be killable. So there's no way they are going back on this. Why the gently caress would they put so much effort into a terrible feature? It doesn't even help ~immersion~, because it breaks the gently caress out of my suspension of disbelief that random-rear end sharks who are relatively tiny compared to the submarine would want to headbutt it to death for some reason. Literally the only reason they want to do that is because it's the player's sub, and gently caress the player.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Straight from the devs mouth:

quote:

Hey Dumoney! I'm the dev that's been adding all these new features, and largely responsible for the implementation being the way it is.

First let me say it was a big challenge to make the Cyclops more interesting. A giant floating invincible fortress simply doesn't make sense to the core theme of the game - this is a survival game; a game about staying alive in the face of overwhelming odds and danger. That said, we are a non-violent game. We don't have guns, so creating danger in a way that doesn't involve bolting turrets to the Cyclops hull was a huge challenge. What we came up with was a way to answer these problems; fire/flooding to add drama and 'fear factor' and stealth to mitigate attacks.

Now, I read everything you said. And I agree with it. My intention with these features is not to make the Cyclops worse. I don't want to nerf it, I don't want to make it ANY less viable than it used to be. I simply want to make it more interesting.

So here's the most important thing to keep in mind: We are in the middle of working on it. This type of feedback is exactly why we posted it to experimental to be playable. My intention was not to show you how crappy the cyclops has become, it was to spawn threads like this one that will tell me what people like/don't like about the systems. As a result we have been tweaking the values constantly.

We're making the creatures respond more to stealth, we're giving the clops more health, we're making fires start less often. We want these systems to be fun and engaging, not make you feel like the cyclops is a chore to use. Because of feedback in these very forums we're also adding a sprinkler system to help midigate fires as well as deployable decoys which can pull agro off your cyclops. I will continue to tweak the Cyclops until it feels good and fun.

So as always, please have patience with us. The systems are very complex and require lots of work, time and testing. It will take a little bit of work to hit that sweet spot, but we will hit it. I appreciate you taking the time to write up your feedback (I've read all the feedback in this thread) and will continue to utilize that feedback to improve the experience.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Why not just let everything attack your base while we're at it. Being a survival lite game is a plus you idiots. Why do I ever bother with early access?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Straight from the devs mouth:
"sorry sorry im trying to remove it"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Invalid Validation posted:

Why not just let everything attack your base while we're at it. Being a survival lite game is a plus you idiots. Why do I ever bother with early access?

Thats actually always been in but only tiger plants bother doing it hahah.

But a single tiger plant can floor and disable an entire base.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Threats to your base would actually be kinda neat if implemented properly. Would make you think twice about where to place a base, and maybe some incentive to have more than one.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It has always fascinated me, that so many people think the point of a survival game is... avoiding anything to ensure survival.

A practical food and water supply so you survive!... Oh wait, not being in a constant state of nearly starving to death is OP and "Not what survival games are about"

Defending yourself so you are not eaten by predators!... Oh wait, self defense to stay alive is not '"survival", being vulnerable at all times is.

Building a giant loving submarine, to make transfer of all those resources you need to do your job and build things more practical... Oh wait- That would let you survive! You idiot, don't you know how survival games work?

Oh sweet I have a cool exo-suit with drill hands and possible missile launchers that don't suck. Time to get revenge!-oh wait, they patched in EMP blasts and the ability to teleport me out of my hard earned tech progression... Well, at least I have the entirely non lethal stasis rifle-what's that? They patched them to be immune to that too? And the usual response to being annoyed by rendering your tech progression moot is "LOL warpers are EZ!" which entirely sidesteps the actual problem.

Part of what attracted me to this game in the first place, was all the sci-fi tech elevating you past being the usual idiot survival hobo. Even without any actual proper weapons, at first the implementation was towards "Wow, thank god this game lets me bypass the usual bullshit about survival games, because I'm a loving space man with a replicator." But it seems they keep going out of their way to only want to give us any of these amazingly useful items... so long as they don't actually help you do their intended job.

Because if your stasis guns, sweet underwater power armor, giant submarine, etc etc actually made your life easier after going to the trouble of unlocking them? oops, now it's easier to survive! Don't you know a constant state of vulnerability and near death is what survival is about?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 8, 2017

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If they keep it to hard mode that's fine, I still think adding completely new mechanics this late into development is dumb. I want progression in my game not frustration.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

I want progression in my game not frustration.

You clearly don't understand having "fun" in survival games then. And neither do I, this sounds like an absolutely retarded, imbecilic "addition". Frankly, I'm amazed the Cyclops has cameras on it so you have a chance to actually see anything going on around it without completely getting out of it.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I reallllly don't like the cyclops being such a wimpy piece of poo poo that can get sunk by stupid bonesharks. Perhaps they could give us a point defence system or a fuckin harpoon gun or something.

I don't understand what they're trying to accomplish here. When I take my cyclops out for a trip I'm generally going quite far away. My reaction to losing my sub would be to either load the game or stop playing entirely. I'm not a fan.

I feel like going and posting on their forums again. Boy did we get poo poo on for that stupid crafting time thing. Time to try again?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It'll just force sane people not to use it. You might as well just keep a ton of tiny bases scattered about.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Adding it this late also makes you wonder if they take any dates seriously. Release dates namely. Like, how the gently caress do they intend to pay salaries if they never release their product? They can't possibly think "oh, we'll do just fine staying in early access forever, adding new poo poo whenever we think new poo poo would be cool, instead of finishing the stuff we talked about from the beginning - it's not like people who bought our game for those yet unfulfilled promises are gonna want their money back? Because of course we intend to get our sales from a finished product and not just treat this as some never-ending pay-for-what-we-will-make-later development funding process because this keeps us employed longer"

because that would be unconscionable.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Adding it this late also makes you wonder if they take any dates seriously. Release dates namely. Like, how the gently caress do they intend to pay salaries if they never release their product? They can't possibly think "oh, we'll do just fine staying in early access forever, adding new poo poo whenever we think new poo poo would be cool, instead of finishing the stuff we talked about from the beginning - it's not like people who bought our game for those yet unfulfilled promises are gonna want their money back? Because of course we intend to get our sales from a finished product and not just treat this as some never-ending pay-for-what-we-will-make-later development funding process because this keeps us employed longer"

because that would be unconscionable.

They may actually be well intentioned but losing grip on reality with years of being able to say "Roadmap, guys :rolleyes:" and getting away with it to resounding applause from their main forums regulars.

The parts of an survival game that's still not bullshit are all there... But then tons of devtime is relegated to a tug of war between loving over things based on the sterotypical sandbox gamer cliches, then having to decide how to unfuck it if they even realize it's a problem. With such examples as seaglide battery life time starting out fine, then getting hosed, then finally unfucked with a big load of passive aggressive statements from True Fans towards anybody who had been displeased with it's nerfed status.

Lareine posted:

There are some people who defend the silver drop rate.

The devs actually finally openly stated "oh, right. This is actually a problem" after years of listening to their echo chamber.... Months ago.

With some of their brilliant ideas to fix it were adding nodes onto the backs of reefbacks or whatever rather than, you know, simply making it more convenient or undo the readily apparent reasons it's so hosed. Because even when their whole goal is to add or improve QoL, QoL itself runs counter to the whole mindset most of their feedback loop comes from.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 8, 2017

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
This is the saltiest thread I've ever read. Maybe it's the ocean water? The new cyclops stuff looks cool and will induce terror feelings and risk which is half what this game is about. It's not as fun once you can walk around in an invincisuit. It's like you forget there's an easy mode.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

emoji posted:

This is the saltiest thread I've ever read. Maybe it's the ocean water? The new cyclops stuff looks cool and will induce terror feelings and risk which is half what this game is about. It's not as fun once you can walk around in an invincisuit. It's like you forget there's an easy mode.

This is definitely the saltest thread I've seen for a chill singleplayer game that isn't even out yet. The possibility of losing your cyclops doesn't mean it's going to turn into some hardcore survival sim. Also I'm pretty sure the devs don't read this thread so venting here is just falling on deaf ears.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Away all Goats posted:

This is definitely the saltest thread I've seen for a chill singleplayer game that isn't even out yet. The possibility of losing your cyclops doesn't mean it's going to turn into some hardcore survival sim. Also I'm pretty sure the devs don't read this thread so venting here is just falling on deaf ears.

From the very video they linked it made it fairly clear that the cyclops was capable of being substantially damaged by three bonesharks. Which then prompts a bunch of busywork to keep the cyclops from sinking. And then they keep attacking while you're trying to fix the boat. What I wasn't clear on was if going to stealth mode halted the attack or not. It kind of looked like it did but I wasn't sure.

I also don't understand why you feel we, for some reason, shouldn't discuss changes to a game we play in a thread about the game. There's clearly people that like the change and don't like the change and we're talking about it, which to me seems to be sort of the point of a thread.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
There's discussing changes to a game and there's also incredibly vitriolic circlejerking with no better alternatives lol.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

emoji posted:

There's discussing changes to a game and there's also incredibly vitriolic circlejerking with no better alternatives lol.

If the mechanic were any good you'd be able to come up with a better defense than "people in a thread are being meanie heads".

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
The mechanic is good because it makes the game more interesting. They have more modules (which is good because there are empty slots on the cyclops) like a shield system which looks badass so there is basically no risk that you get destroyed by low level creatures. It's fine to criticize the game but that's not what's happening here. Read the posts on this page, you can see the blood vessels nearly popping in half the posters. They should try easy mode or just make their stuff invincible using the console.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

emoji posted:

The mechanic is good because it makes the game more interesting.
How? A sand shark (or 3) murderfucking your cyclops just for existing isn't interesting or even scary, it's just tedious.

Also I'll believe the shield system when it's actually in the game.

Sorry you can't handle people using mean words? The ire is 100% justified because the devs have a track record of adding in dumb bullshit which is a shame because this game is so close to being really fun but they keep changing things exclusively to make the game less fun and more tedious.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 8, 2017

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Look it up on YouTube because it looks cool or the actual wiki. It's definitely going to be in the game. Not sure why you're so hostile. A single sand shark blowing up your sub isn't in the game either.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Also even it was turned into tissue paper (it's not going to be) you can literally get all the materials to make one from scratch in 10-20 minutes. Not sure why people are saying it's expensive.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Keep in mind we're blending some scifi Titanium Steel to make this future-space-water-sub that still gets taken out by local wild-life.

I mean if you had it specifically for certain end-game monsters where you have to play cat and mouse or else deal with fires, sure. But just keep in mind how loving boring it is to stealth at less than swim-speed because you don't want to annoy the tiger-plant.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
The local wildlife is apparently capable of destroying a research facility, though? You will not need to slow down to avoid being destroyed by a tiger plant lol. The Seamoth is fragile and it can't be destroyed by one unless you intentionally want it to be.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Imagine being so salty about hypothetically being incredibly bad at a video game because it mitigates godmode in the unfinished version a little bit lol.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
What purpose is the cyclops supposed to serve in a game where it is destroyed? It is too resource intensive to risk building a mobile base out of it. Piss off something at the wrong time and the resources you have in the sub are gone? Suddenly it is cheaper to just build a line of power nodes and hallways to where you want to go since base buildings aren't attacked and the player doesn't crush.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

emoji posted:

The local wildlife is apparently capable of destroying a research facility, though? You will not need to slow down to avoid being destroyed by a tiger plant lol. The Seamoth is fragile and it can't be destroyed by one unless you intentionally want it to be.

One specific super large apex predator is.

It wouldn't be unreasonable for the sea emperor to be able to trash the cyclops if it got a hold of it, but a sand shark is just loving stupid.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
The sand shark cannot trash your sub unless you're intentionally bad at the game.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

emoji posted:

The sand shark cannot trash your sub unless you're intentionally bad at the game.

The sand shark can't trash my sub because it's on top of the quarantine enforcement platform.

I could build another but it's literally cheaper to just build conga lines of base platforms and a single tube to wherever I would need to go.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 8, 2017

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Plek posted:

What purpose is the cyclops supposed to serve in a game where it is destroyed? It is too resource intensive to risk building a mobile base out of it. Piss off something at the wrong time and the resources you have in the sub are gone? Suddenly it is cheaper to just build a line of power nodes and hallways to where you want to go since base buildings aren't attacked and the player doesn't crush.

Basically this. Current game: Seamoth is for exploring, Prawn is for resource gathering, and the Cyclops for transporting your food and storage lockers, but if normal fauna can destroy it... or running it into walls or scraping the bottom, what is it even for?

(Amusing anecdote: I didn't notice where my Mobile Vehicle Bay had drifted to, and when I built my first Cyclops, I dropped it directly on my base and broke half the rooms.)

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Why make up obvious false lies to prove your point about being hypothetically bad at the game? The cyclops is 5 plasteel, 5 enameled glass, some lube, and one chip. That's 10 minutes of work if you know how to get stalker teeth.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Ardeem posted:

Basically this. Current game: Seamoth is for exploring, Prawn is for resource gathering, and the Cyclops for transporting your food and storage lockers, but if normal fauna can destroy it... or running it into walls or scraping the bottom, what is it even for?

(Amusing anecdote: I didn't notice where my Mobile Vehicle Bay had drifted to, and when I built my first Cyclops, I dropped it directly on my base and broke half the rooms.)

Try easy mode if you can't enjoy the game without the placeholder godmode you got used to in the unfinished game. Everyone can be happy.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Unlike what that dev said, Subnautica is not a non-violent game. The world is violent, only the player isn't.

Except for things that are smaller than him, they're totally fair game.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I cant believe they were working on that instead of fixing draw distances

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

emoji posted:

Why make up obvious false lies to prove your point about being hypothetically bad at the game? The cyclops is 5 plasteel, 5 enameled glass, some lube, and one chip. That's 10 minutes of work if you know how to get stalker teeth.
:goonsay:

Presumably you stuck a replicator in there and a bunch of lockers filled with god knows what and of course the upgrades while we're pretending scavenging for more resources is the issue we're discussing

Thanks for kramering in with belligerent opinions buddy, why don't you see yourself out

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

emoji posted:

Imagine being so salty about hypothetically being incredibly bad at a video game because it mitigates godmode in the unfinished version a little bit lol.

At this point you are the one getting all wound up and "salty" over this. Some of us have been playing this game for a long time and really enjoy it. It's a thread discussing the game and it's development. If I was the dev, I would be happy people care so much about my game. In a world where gamers send devs death threats. A few posters venting a little frustration is hardly worth multiple hand wringing posts.

This development in the game just solidifies points that me, section Z and a few other posters made a few pages back. The game hits a brick wall gameplay-wise maybe 16-20 hours in first playthrough. You have a base, the subs, exosuit and all the upgrades. There is not much to do except build bases. Most players have renewable food/water and power and the challenge and tension drops to zero. They think the solution is to strip away the toys they have given the player will up the "challenge" and maybe new players will feel that way. But for the rest of us it's unimaginative busy work. Adding such a lovely damage system to the cyclops means that you spend more time putting out fires.

It reminds me of the wound system in MGS 3. In theory it's cool that when you get shot you have to pull the bullet out, stop the bleeding, disinfect, suture and bandage a wound. But after the 50th time doing it, it ceases to be fun and is just a useless reductive attempt at "realism"

I know you may argue that this is the price of early access. That games evolve and sometimes like in the case of a game like FTL, lose ideas and simplify to streamline. But this does not feel like that. This feels like a patch job. They hit a certain point where they cannot afford to add complexity so they are making these tweaks to force the player into the survival game system. All this system does is add busy work and slow the player down. Either they drive slow to avoid trouble, or drive fast, get damaged and fix it. That's not fun in my book.

There are so many good points posted over the last page. And I too want to echo the thanks to GlyphGryph and others. We all want a fun game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

emoji posted:

Imagine some weirdo lurker jumping in to drop 20 posts in a row about how upset he is at the posters lol

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Huh those are all valid complaints but have you considered possibly "git gud, scrub"? :smug:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I still want the Cyclops to be vulnerable under certain depths only.

So when the Cyclops is under serious attack what you need to do is to ascend really fast. It has the right feel for an underwater survival game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I think we should change the thread title again. Subnautica: Jumping the Boneshark.