Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

SCROTEBUSTIN posted:

Downloading now. Looks ridiculous but fun and intricate. Is there a solid newbie pastebin or general tips? Classes to avoid?

General tips:

Everything works, but are more or less dependant on stamina. So if you take a combat school that require a lot of stamina, and you are a newbie, you will run low of stamina and unable to fight properly.

Veterans have many stacked stamina bonuses, because many task in the game, like cooking, gardening, etc.. may give you a pitance of stamina bonus, and they add.

Try everything, and stay with what is fun for you. When I say "try everything", I mean you probably should at least try stuff like cooking, minerology and stuff once.

There are some stuff in this game that is a static change that stay after dead. You can be turned into a pig, and the potion to return to human is very expensive. Animal forms are like more classes, and some of them are kind of cool and op. You may want to live like a deer or a spider. Some people enjoy their life has a gigantic bat.

Other than a few token things, the game is pretty standard fantasy rpg [with wacky loot], just much more chill and relaxed, people in the game kinda just want to chill around and have fun.

Food is important!, you probably want to always have food with you, and eat some every hour or so. The regens from food can make playing much more effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Bacon is the path to victory. Not only is it a delicious food but a lot of NPCs (most) give favor for meat foods. Bacon is super easy to farm, and make.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just play, imo. Don't worry too much about effective combos at first

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
What's with the slowwww downloading of the files

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Not a huge developer. At times, bandwidth can be a problem. They're running on a shoe-string budget. Once you get it installed you should be fine other than the occasional issue in Kur Mountains or when his datacenter has trouble doing their jobs.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Fair enough. Will be on tomorrow anyway, what's the usual player caps and peak times?

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Pruney posted:

Fair enough. Will be on tomorrow anyway, what's the usual player caps and peak times?
I've only played a couple weeks but usually there will be around 200 people on during the day and maybe around 50 at night. Usually if you're going into a dungeon there will be around 5-10 people in the general area if you want to group up, but you won't be fighting other people for kills if you just want to solo.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

That Guy Bob posted:

Oh and animal forms, they restrict a lot of things and npc interactions, and are permanent until you remove them.

To add on to this: some NPCs that don't mind talking to animals will require an "unlock" quest the first time you talk to them as an animal (the Serbule banker is one, I believe he requires five ancient bronze coins which you should just get ahead of time). There are also animal-only NPCs, mostly in Animal Town, with some alternatives to the NPCs/trainers you get shut out of.

And unless it's changed recently no, you can't use druid to cheat and access both "won't talk to animals" and "won't talk to non-animals" NPCs at will. There's a timer that tracks how long you've been an animal, and the animal-only NPCs will shun you until you no longer stink of human.

Being an animal is cool and good and they have some entertaining NPCs. :3: I'm a big fan of spider/mentalism.

headspace
Apr 25, 2014
Spider/Druid is one of the most powerful builds in the game now. Especially after the nerf to Archery, and single target DPS being relevant again because of the group size nerf.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
As long as they leave my cow as supertank, I'm happy. Cow / Mentalism was pretty sweet but I heard Cow / Druid was tankier.

Also, I just loved running around as a cow with armor.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Druid does seem like a good skill but the event stuff ensures I'll never, ever take it. If I'm busy making banana bread or growing cotton I'm not gonna stop and do an event and you can't make me! :argh:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I took Druid but I haven't played since before I took it. How are the events handled? And are they really time consuming?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I took Druid but I haven't played since before I took it. How are the events handled? And are they really time consuming?

Half the people on the server are druids so the events are fun to do and take half an hour or less, at least a month ago when i played

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Im going to have to wait until Saturday to play this, been mega busy and it downloads so slow.

Also tried getting my friend to have a look and he supposedly got a pop-up virus on the main page of the website, bit worrying.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

please knock Mom! posted:

Half the people on the server are druids so the events are fun to do and take half an hour or less, at least a month ago when i played

For me they are a change of pace where half the server are in a single place killing hilarious monsters and getting loot for it. Inventory size limits make so not everyone loot everything, sometimes you may even get something good. So they feel like Plublic Quest, but in a good way.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Pruney posted:

Also tried getting my friend to have a look and he supposedly got a pop-up virus on the main page of the website, bit worrying.

No, this site doesn't dispense viruses and your friend should probably check his system.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Shy posted:

No, this site doesn't dispense viruses and your friend should probably check his system.

Google ads is a bitch sometimes, not saying specifically this site but still happened.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I got nothing else to do this weekend. I think I'll jump in and cow around for a bit to see the changes and find out how much (all) of my gear is legacy.

Edit: Bard was added! drat, I have a fuckload of patch notes to catch up on.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 1, 2017

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Finally downloaded the game!

Oh, wrong version?

Reload client, 347 files to download AGHHHH

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Yeah. Patch this morning.

I've spent the last few hours farting around playing instruments at the well or the garden in Serb while I try to go through my equipment and figure out what I need to work on. I'm feeling kind of lost. I need to just pick something and start hitting stuff.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Played it for a while and enjoyed it quite a bit. The lack of direction is a bit worrying though. Not even asking for quest markers, just a better detailed map with area names

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I see that new areas have been added and now the skill caps for just about everything has been raised to 70. I figured I'd try to work on Hammer / Shield again but I'm going to have to redo all my gear again so it's being very slow.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
It's been a while since I've actively played this but I'm getting back in again as much as I can. Are any other Goons still playing?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I play on and off. An hour a week generally. Its fun but sometimes I worry that I'm ruining the game for myself by playing it too much too early. Hopefully that isn't the case.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I play on and off. An hour a week generally. Its fun but sometimes I worry that I'm ruining the game for myself by playing it too much too early. Hopefully that isn't the case.

This is why I take breaks as long as I do. I just can't be one of those people that runs the same dungeons hundreds of times or whatever, it will absolutely make me hate a very good game.

I hope they get to housing soon, I remember some fun and silly plans for it and that's 100% what I'm in the mood for right now. :3:

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007
OK, posting. I'm still active somewhat, though the latest patch kinda killed any desire to play. Trying to level bard right now since group content is all but dead to everyone but large guilds now.

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you
I pop on about once a week.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I'm using hand to hand combat together with battle psychology, i don't do very much damage but geez i sure have a lot of crowd control

just need to train up enough skills to solve my crippling stamina issues that pop up in any prolonged battle

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
You may want to look into Mentalism then as a secondary. There's a ton of power mods. So many that I can fly around in raven form forever by just spamming one skill with 3-4 mentalism bits equipped.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Wow this looks nice
http://massivelyop.com/2017/04/20/feast-your-eyes-on-one-of-project-gorgons-ongoing-graphical-updates/

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I'm really looking forward to that. I can't wait to see it once, turn off grass again, and then see if I can still do a simple turn in Serbule without my PC freezing for a split second and pointing me in some random direction.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I hope the game change a bit before release.

I am not fond of vendors having money caps. This is the most important one. For a game so freeform, that let you do whatever you want, how you want it, when you want to do it, this strike me has a very limiting thing.

Maybe is neccesary, I dunno. I am not game designer.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
a lot of things in Gorgon are strange and/or unnecessary but I feel like that's part of the game's charm

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I'm fairly sure if nobody had a money cap, Marna would be all anyone ever gains favor with since they can dump everything on her.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
the money cap is to stimulate exploring and finding new people. it's, imo, one of the best decisions they have made.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

please knock Mom! posted:

the money cap is to stimulate exploring and finding new people. it's, imo, one of the best decisions they have made.

Agreed the moneycap owns and keeps inflation in check in a very real way. Imo the per-NPC favor system would really fall flat without this system behind it.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
This looks really interesting but I'm on a data limit right now and I can't find any concrete info on what's needed to install the game beyond 'several gigabytes'.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

Zoe posted:

This looks really interesting but I'm on a data limit right now and I can't find any concrete info on what's needed to install the game beyond 'several gigabytes'.

My folder is 4.3 gigs, but haven't played in several months.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
This game is pretty goofy so far but fun. Killed some skeletons, collected some spoons, read some books, crafted some pick me up potions. I'm currently chatting up the girl by the cauldron while I'm offline and tomorrow I'm going to explore the "students do not enter" dungeon. 10 out of 10, would power nap again.

E: Couple days later and I'm still having fun figuring poo poo out. The writing is enjoyable so running around talking to NPCs hasn't gotten old yet. I'm around Level 20 with sword and archer. I'm not quite sure where to invest my time at the moment. I'm kind of doing a little bit of everything and just knocking out favor quests.

How high in fletching do you need to go before you can make the reservoir arrows? Character is FalloutGod if a guild invite wants to be sent my way.

FalloutGod fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewp
Sep 3, 2009

satisfaction
I'm playing as Dewp for the past couple of days, it's really fun except me and my friend are trying to get Bard for him and that's kinda annoying. I'm 15 fire magic/unarmed right now, at least until I can get Mentalism to replace unarmed. Trying to stay off the wiki and stuff as much as possible but it is tough sometimes.