Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bardeh posted:

Cool, I guess I'll have to wait for it though because I still wanna get my other stats up before I grind out more Guts.

Also, with Persona Fusion - I just look at the menu where it shows you all the possible Personas you can create and then make the highest level ones I can. I have a nice spread of abilities across all the ones I have, but if there's any minmaxing or nuance to the system I don't really know how to go about doing it. Am I safe just creating new and higher level Personas as I level up, or are there some I specifically want to aim for?
The rules I've been working off of: Growth is a really good skill to get on your Personas, it lets them get some XP even if they aren't active. And try to get Personas that have skills your teammates don't have access to early on, like Psi, Nuclear, Curse and Blessing type damage, and it's good to have a Persona source of Gun-type damage in case you run out of bullets during a dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Caroline is the best

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

Caroline is the best

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain Baal posted:

Caroline is the best

:yeah:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, the rank 10 scene for Toranosuke was REALLY GOOD. I'm starting to slightly regret not following that 100% guide, if only because it means I'll miss out on other rank 10 scenes...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, the rank 10 scene for Toranosuke was REALLY GOOD. I'm starting to slightly regret not following that 100% guide, if only because it means I'll miss out on other rank 10 scenes...

Once you've accepted that you aren't getting 100% you can then start figuring out who the sacrificial lambs are.

Like in my case it's probably Fortune. I unlocked her but she seems drop dead boring so more time for the links I do care about.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 8, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Captain Baal posted:

Caroline is the best
She is pretty good in the social link scenes, I can agree with that. The repetitive voice clips in the menus just get really grating after a while.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Late August spoilers, with some speculation: Goro, c'mon. You walked into the cafe and just randomly spouted off your sad backstory? You're like the most suspicious fucker in the goddamn universe. There's no way he isn't the traitor.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The timing of unlocking Futaba's Social Link is pretty funny now that I think about it, although major story spoilers ahead.

So you stole Futaba Sakura's heart in order to get her to counterhack Medjed for you?

Few Hours Later

There's no way you would've gotten away with your escapades without someone adept at hacking? Well?! Who was it?!

Gee gently caress if I know Sae.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That reminds me, what the gently caress happened to Igor's voice, and why does he sound like he's about to drop a loving album.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tithin posted:

That reminds me, what the gently caress happened to Igor's voice, and why does he sound like he's about to drop a loving album.

his jp voice actor died, the new voice actor was much deeper, so they replaced him in the dub too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tithin posted:

Japanese VA died, got replaced with a deeper one, English VA was also changed to match for reasons dark and strange.

e: endorph has made a powerful enemy this night

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I like Igor's voice a lot, but this is the first Persona I've played.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Someone save me from July's cutscene zone

This is hell

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

I like Igor's voice a lot, but this is the first Persona I've played.
it's a good voice but his old voice was much higher so if you're used to that it's kinda weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-HvJxNqCqk&t=28s

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Someone save me from July's cutscene zone

This is hell

bruh just wait till the end of summer. Like 2 weeks of story cutscences babysitting with futaba.

Also, I love the way the game very specifically reminds you of your other girlfriends when you hit romance rank. I finally started macking on my teacher, my doctor, and mokoto all within like a week of each other lol

lol holy poo poo makotos lv 2 persona is a loving transformer hell yeah mother fucker

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I put a persona in lockup and it's been like 15 days of nonstop loving cutscenes and being unable to go to the velvet room

Rip that dude most likely.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

bruh just wait till the end of summer. Like 2 weeks of story cutscences babysitting with futaba.

Also, I love the way the game very specifically reminds you of your other girlfriends when you hit romance rank. I finally started macking on my teacher, my doctor, and mokoto all within like a week of each other lol

lol holy poo poo makotos lv 2 persona is a loving transformer hell yeah mother fucker

This game

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I've kept myself in the dark on most of the marketing stuff for this game; hell, I've only ready the first few grafs of the OP. So you can imagine my surprise and sheer awe at the very beginning part to the third palace when Makoto awakens to her persona and it's a loving MOTORCYCLE, which she then guns into a mob of shadows.

I'm all in on the Makoto hype train now.

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 8, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

It's precisely one week and you still get evenings so it's not that bad. Helps that it comes at the end of summer, where you have like nearly an entire month of free time to do stuff in.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Ikr, I was prolly gonna romance her just based on pre game trailers and poo poo, then she actually showed up and I was all like "hell yeah motherfucker :bestgirl: 😤😤😤"

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's precisely one week and you still get evenings so it's not that bad. Helps that it comes at the end of summer, where you have like nearly an entire month of free time to do stuff in.

Yeah but right after you finish playing with futaba the game sends you on the school trip for a week

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 8, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Ikr, I was prolly gonna romance her just based on pre game trailers and poo poo, then she actually showed up and I was all like "hell yeah motherfucker :bestgirl: 😤😤😤"

Yeah but right after you finish playing with futaba the game sends you on the school trip for a week

I guess I didn't notice that was so soon after because soon after getting Futaba, but before summer ended, I went on a really long Mementos trip.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Day 900 of cutscene hell

I'm losing control of my body, send help. Why is this part so badly paced.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

How much exp can you expect from the first dungeon boss on merciless? I've reached the treasure on day 1, but my MC has only just hit level 8. My resources are also mostly tapped, though I probably could get to 9 if I had to. The first hierophant persona is level 9, and I think it is going to be needed for ranking him up immediately afterward.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Day 900 of cutscene hell

I'm losing control of my body, send help. Why is this part so badly paced.

God does this get worse later in the game?

I'm really enjoying this game, but the pacing can be described as GLACIAL and I'm only in the 3rd palace.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm loving playing a Persona game with no real idea what I'm doing vis-a-vis S-links.

I've managed to actually stumble my way through alright, although I'm disappointed to learn that the Moon and Sun links don't require Persona matching to get regular levels; I've been neglecting Sun for about three Palaces now and I'll have to play catch-up fast since I've still not seen a matching Persona for that one.

The boss fights have been a lot of fun, I sort of struggled towards the end of the third Palace boss, it started throwing a bunch of weird mechanics at me that nearly got me wiped out!

EDIT: If you're expecting the game to stop being very talky, I wouldn't hold your breath. Persona 4 has one of the longest damned scripts ever written, and this game seems to be trying to outdo the Witcher 3 in sheer volume of words spoken. I don't mind it so much, the game seems to stop forbidding me from doing S-links as frequently the further into it I get.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Endorph posted:

there's a newgame+ but the only content exclusive to it is a single boss and a few dialogue choices that you can't possibly have the stats for at the point they appear.

I've given in to the fact that I'll simply be playing through this game twice to do everything I want to do with it. I always get hung up in Persona games because it drives me nuts how little you can accomplish in any given day, especially with the frequency the game steals entire chunks of time from you for story purposes.

For anyone curious, you retain PC stats (knowledge, kindness, etc.) and money, but not confidant levels (skills stay) and not Persona masks (compendium stays.) So basically, I'm screwing myself out of most s-links on the first playthrough in favor of PC stat growth, so it's all maxed out for NG+.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Doc Morbid posted:

I think the thing I dislike most in this game thus far is Caroline's voice (both English and Japanese, but especially the latter). I realize she's not supposed to be nice to you since she is the mean one of the twins, but she sounds like nails on a chalkboard and never shuts the gently caress up. Just let me fuse some personas in peace you little poo poo :argh:

Caroline is the best-voiced character, In-MATE!

Also I was reading that people were down on the second dungeon, but I really liked it. Mainly because it resonated with me since plagiarists are loving garbage human beings

Edit: Also all the other bad stuff he did

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The second dungeon doesn't have the worst storyline, but it's a real step down from the first arc and how it generally escalates. It's fine for what it is, but Madarame is not much of an antagonist after someone like Kamoshida. The third storyline is definitely the weakest though because it requires characters doing stupid nonsense and the antagonist is the most generic he can possibly be and the dungeon is ridiculously long.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Captain Baal posted:

The second dungeon doesn't have the worst storyline, but it's a real step down from the first arc and how it generally escalates. It's fine for what it is, but Madarame is not much of an antagonist after someone like Kamoshida. The third storyline is definitely the weakest though because it requires characters doing stupid nonsense and the antagonist is the most generic he can possibly be and the dungeon is ridiculously long.

It does have the bonus of the boss having amazing voice acting though. I'm not sure if I'm being ironic or not about that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Night Blade posted:

God does this get worse later in the game?

I'm really enjoying this game, but the pacing can be described as GLACIAL and I'm only in the 3rd palace.

The start of summer is almost a full month of cutscenes and exams. Apparently the end of it is pretty bad to about it?

Like I dig the story enough but christ game please.

On the upside got Emperor Rank 5 THIS... IS THE PASSION OF CHRIST.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I liked the third palace.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
His voice is beyond compare. It's so terrible that it rolls back around to being an astounding performance that enhances an otherwise nothing character.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Baal posted:

Madarame's evilness does ramp up as you learn more about him though. At first he and his crimes seem quite benign compared to Kamoshida, but then later on, when you find out he let Yusuke's mother die of a seizure so he could steal the painting it does feel more justified in taking him down.

The third one does seem pretty meh so far though - I've only just gone in for the first time and talked to a few ATM people so there's still time for it to get going, but I think the main thing with Kamoshida compared to the next ones are that you get to spend a bit of time with him beforehand and see how much of a piece of poo poo he really is, whereas the others have a slower ramp-up as you gradually discover more and more about them as you progress in the palaces.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The start of summer is almost a full month of cutscenes and exams. Apparently the end of it is pretty bad to about it?

Like I dig the story enough but christ game please.

On the upside got Emperor Rank 5 THIS... IS THE PASSION OF CHRIST.

Warning so you don't get annoyed like I did, you need Proficiency 4 (I think? More than 3 anyways.) to get the next rank for Yusuke. It's weird that Baal missed this one.

Also, you're about to get into a part of the game where you have nearly a solid month of free time so enjoy that at least.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 8, 2017

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
Hassou Tobi is as broken as ever, jeez.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bardeh posted:

Madarame's evilness does ramp up as you learn more about him though. At first he and his crimes seem quite benign compared to Kamoshida, but then later on, when you find out he let Yusuke's mother die of a seizure so he could steal the painting it does feel more justified in taking him down.

The third one does seem pretty meh so far though - I've only just gone in for the first time and talked to a few ATM people so there's still time for it to get going, but I think the main thing with Kamoshida compared to the next ones are that you get to spend a bit of time with him beforehand and see how much of a piece of poo poo he really is, whereas the others have a slower ramp-up as you gradually discover more and more about them as you progress in the palaces.

Please don't give credit to the 3rd arcs villain.

The other two villains up to that point had a personal connection and I think that's why I liked them even if I wasn't big on the whole art theme. Third one is bad but (being vague but w/e) feels really divorced from anyone and doesn't actually do anything outside that literally single time you see him.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
so far while the villains haven't lived up to kamoshida seeing the team more and more get their poo poo together has made up for it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Infinity Gaia posted:

Warning so you don't get annoyed like I did, you need Proficiency 4 to get the next rank for Yusuke. It's weird that Baal missed this one.

Also, you're about to get into a part of the game where you have nearly a solid month of free time so enjoy that at least.

Yeah sorry, when making the OP I cross referenced my memories with guides to make sure I didn't miss anything and I guess I just didn't see anything that mentioned his Rank 4 proficiency. I'll make sure I add it.

Bardeh posted:

You're right about Kamoshida, but it's so much more with him. You get to see the ramifications what he does has on so many students, including people you personally know, leads to the attempted suicide of one girl, and as you progress further and further into his dungeon it changes drastically and shows how warped his mind is. It creates a great sense of scale and importance for what is just a pervy gym teacher an overinflated ego. Madarame's is a lot of just telling you stuff that happens, you get an account from one dude and Yusuke, then you do his Palace and he's kinda just another evil cackling villain. The stuff with Yusuke's Mom does make it more personal, but I feel like with a conversation Sojiro and Yusuke have later it kinda makes me feel it was just a sorta cheap way to try to make you hate him more, but it's not like it doesn't make sense or something it just kinda feels lame. He's fine for the most part, but it just feels sorta lame compared to someone like Kamoshida who is much lower scale, but ramps up in more personal and interesting ways than someone like Madarame does.

darealkooky posted:

so far while the villains haven't lived up to kamoshida seeing the team more and more get their poo poo together has made up for it

This is cool though and this stuff makes the things I don't care for in some of these arcs more worth it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I got Ann's link to 10

Excuse me. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Toranosuke (Sun link) is boring as gently caress and I'm only at rank 4 but feel like he's a waste of time already