Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

bEatmstrJ posted:

All in all i'm pretty happy with the guy so far. Several more appointments upcoming, but we'll see what happens as things progress.

Good update, OP. You had a pretty shaky middle to this thread, but hopefully you're on the right track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Still wanna know what's up with that tub

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

bEatmstrJ posted:

- The wall I built for the shower might need to be flipped (double plate goes on top, not bottom), but nailing through the drywall was not an issue. Though some bracing will need to be added at the

I feel like I missed this entirely.

Anyway I'm seriously impressed that you stuck around, and this is a great victory for goons any way this goes so long as you don't leave.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I knew a guy who framed every wall with a double sill plate so he didn't need to find studs while installing baseboard. I'm not saying it's a reasonable solution, but every time I'm installing baseboard, I wish he had framed the wall.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

sneakyfrog posted:

*sigh* i just wish it were properly redtexted dammit folks attention to detail.

hang on

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i asked someone to do a thing, hopefully they will

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Hmm, ah, yes, making others do a thing, that's what the DIY forum is for

e: This makes you a good moderator

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Evilreaver posted:

Hmm, ah, yes, making others do a thing, that's what the DIY forum is for

e: This makes you a good moderator

i have to get an inspector to sign off on my bans

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i mean what if i ban someone for racism and it turns out it was double-ironic? ten years later the insurance company's gonna notice that and then it's my rear end

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

SoundMonkey posted:

i have to get an inspector to sign off on my bans

Nah, just cut the top off their Av, you'll be fine.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SoundMonkey posted:

i asked someone to do a thing, hopefully they will

:aaaaa: what thing did you do to me I have 3 legs you bastard!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Chairman posted:

When you bend a beam, it forms an arc shape, such that it's in compression (crushed) at the top and tension (stretched) at the bottom. The material at the very center of the beam doesn't deform in bending, so it's not carrying any load. The further away the material is from the center, the more it contributes to resisting bending.

A flanged beam like a steel wide-flange or a wood I-joist has most of its material at the very top and bottom of the beam, spread as far apart as possible. This minimizes the area that isn't meaningfully contributing bending capacity to the beam and maximizes the contribution of the material.

In the case of home construction, engineered lumber costs more per foot than regular lumber, but you can use less of it. However, they do have some drawbacks -- the biggest of which is that it's really easy to completely ruin them and reduce their capacity significantly by damaging their flanges...
Exactly. It's like using a tube or other hollow section instead of a solid. The middle isn't really doing all that much in a lot of applications, so if you do without it, that's material you're not paying for.

I'm not much up on wood and civil engineering stuff in general, but I'd imagine that there's a large factor in that the cost of finding a natural material in larger sizes isn't something that scales nicely. With stuff like steel, in general you pay for the mass of it, so if you use two tonnes of material, well, that's probably going to cost twice as much as one. You don't have to "find" a nice big RSJ, you just make it. With wood, if you want a long beam of large section, you'll have had to grow and manage a tree able to provide that, and it's disproportionately more involved than getting two lengths of much smaller cross-section and some manufactured sheet to act as the centre web.

Someone correct me if I'm completely off target here.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Slugworth posted:

I knew a guy who framed every wall with a double sill plate so he didn't need to find studs while installing baseboard. I'm not saying it's a reasonable solution, but every time I'm installing baseboard, I wish he had framed the wall.

Call BaSeMasterJ for all your baseboard needs today.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Yeah that reminds me of when I was a pup and I put a nail through the baseboard and into a copper line for the terlet on a new home.
Nail sorta blocks the water but not until the house was carpeted did anyone notice
Good times :corsair::hf::mrgw:

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

For as terrible as an idea as this was, I do want to congratulate you on some very clean and straight cuts there. What kind of saw did you use?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

bEatmstrJ posted:

If you can wade through all the poo poo-posts, it's amazing what you can learn on this forum.

So it seems like this was answered before sort of, but hypothetically, if those joists were solid 4x10's or similar, first, are they not as strong as the I-Beams? Second, if I had notched those out instead, how would that have affected it?

At the same dimensions the solid piece would be stronger. It's all about creating the required strength with much less material.

Notching solid beams, I assume, would have reduced the structural strength to a beam with that new cross section all the way through, maybe less with the stress centers you created at the notch.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

Adiabatic posted:

At the same dimensions the solid piece would be stronger. It's all about creating the required strength with much less material.

Notching solid beams, I assume, would have reduced the structural strength to a beam with that new cross section all the way through, maybe less with the stress centers you created at the notch.

I wonder how the grain of the wood factors into it. For safety, I would definitely assume that the whole thing takes on the cross section at the notch, but there's still added weight.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

If nothing else this thread has delivered immensely for me because someone else just linked me to it and I actually got to say the words "oh I've seen that, I had to ban someone for doxing a bathroom."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
An upper doxer, if you will.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FrozenVent posted:

:golfclap:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

FrozenVent posted:

:perfect:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

FrozenVent posted:

:vince:

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Please tell me you're not doing all this work only to not put a bidet in.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Myrmidongs posted:

Please tell me you're not doing all this work only to not put a bidet in.

Dude, dude. That's Complete Bathroom Overhaul- New Beginnings

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

Dude, dude. That's Complete Bathroom Overhaul- New Beginnings

Complete Bathroom Overhaul: Don't Leave for Tomorrow What Can Be Done Bidet

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 9, 2017

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Adiabatic posted:

Depends on where the notch is and what shape it is. You can drill out a pretty significant area out of the middle of the beam (for passing pipes and conduit through, etc) without reducing the bending capacity much, as long as it's not near a point load source like a column sitting on it or a support.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

Complete Bathroom Overhaul: Don't Leave for Tomorrow What Can Be Done Bidet

New thread title pls

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Mambold posted:

New thread title pls

close enough

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

SoundMonkey posted:

close enough

:golfclap:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Chairman posted:

Depends on where the notch is and what shape it is. You can drill out a pretty significant area out of the middle of the beam (for passing pipes and conduit through, etc) without reducing the bending capacity much, as long as it's not near a point load source like a column sitting on it or a support.

If you look in the picture he didn't drill out the middle of the beam for his plumbing. He cut holes in the bottom of the webbing.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you look in the picture he didn't drill out the middle of the beam for his plumbing. He cut holes in the bottom of the webbing.

What kind of clown drives five minutes EACH WAY to home depot for a hole saw or spade bit when they have a perfectly good reciprocating saw sitting right there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SoundMonkey posted:

What kind of clown drives five minutes EACH WAY to home depot for a hole saw or spade bit when they have a perfectly good reciprocating saw sitting right there.

I mean, I have this hammer here too

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Rhyno posted:

I mean, I have this hammer here too

AND this 1/8" drill bit that came with my shelf kit! I'll just drill a bunch of tiny holes in a 1" circle then smash it out! Talk about can-do attitude!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SoundMonkey posted:

AND this 1/8" drill bit that came with my shelf kit! I'll just drill a bunch of tiny holes in a 1" circle then smash it out! Talk about can-do attitude!

Oh but the drill's cord won't reach the outlet so I'll have to use the bit as a chisel

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Rhyno posted:

Oh but the drill's cord won't reach the outlet so I'll have to use the bit as a chisel

Good thing I have this can of spray foam here to hit the drill bit with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SoundMonkey posted:

Good thing I have this can of spray foam here to hit the drill bit with.

Oh thank god, we can rebuild those i-beams with Great Stuff!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Rhyno posted:

Oh thank god, we can rebuild those i-beams with Great Stuff!

not if i just suspend the i-beams with ceiling hooks and wire rope in an artistic display around the tub! win-win!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

a sunken tub is cool and all, OP, but how about a suspended one? didn't cut any beams in your ceiling.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Like a hammock tub?

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/JyTHY6o

Sorry, I'm up in the middle of the night phone posting, so not sure how to post pictures from that gallery right now.

Edit: now I'm making tea.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Like a hammock tub?

facebook showed me a kickstarter for one so it must be legit

but no i more meant a 12" box-truss structure with a tub on top of it suspended from hooks in the ceiling that are most likely drywall anchors

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 10, 2017

• Locked thread