Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Welcome to underwater Space China bitches, please leave your dirty barbarian selves on the beaches, praise the Son of Heaven!

Turns out there are a lot of unique government names you can get by switching stuff around, I think this one is spiritual/imperial/inwards perfection

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Lant posted:

Yea unity costs go WAY up the more systems (planets as well?) you take. I just did a game where I got my first one in under 10 years by only having my starting system.

I'm new to this - I was under the impression that I'd want to get at least a couple of colonies out there quickly. Is that not the case? Frontier bases feel expensive and not very defendable.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anyone else feel really mineral poor in the new patch? I've got probably a quarter of the galaxy secured, but am only managing to pull in like 300 a month (pre-maintenance); guess it's possible I just got unlucky with the resources available, but you'd think with the number of droids/mines I'm spamming in addition to sheer size I'd be better off.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I'm new to this - I was under the impression that I'd want to get at least a couple of colonies out there quickly. Is that not the case? Frontier bases feel expensive and not very defendable.

It kind of depends. A smaller empire does keep costs lower but personally I don't like giving up habitable worlds to encroaching neighbors that I'll have to fight them for later. I always colonize my balls off until I run up against my neighbors and deal with the inflated costs later.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Man, the Unbidden are scary this patch. The portal spawned in the middle of my empire and within a year had gutted about a dozen systems before I could even get my fleet back from the front. I refit my fleet to kinetics & armour, and sent them after the portal. In the past, this would've been enough - I had about 100k of fleet strength. I squashed the guard fleet and... the portal had about a billion HP. I watch my fleet pound on it for ages while all the other Unbidden fleets showed up and squashed my fleet into the dirt.

I guess you actually have to hunt down their fleets now. Time for my second Utopia game!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Baronjutter posted:

Speaking of fallen empires, it looks like you can't liberate them anymore. I dedicated my pacifist materialist game to building up to strike them before they awoken but took too long and they woke up. They declared war on the biggest empire in the game and thought this is my chance! Nope, I can only humiliate them, no liberation.

Can pacifists just not liberate period anymore, or was this just removed from FE's ? If so, how can a pacifist player ever cut them down to size or stop them from taking over the galaxy?

Now that pacifists are just straight up DS9 ferrengi that think war is bad for business (wait, but another rule of acquisition says war is good for business?!) they've gone from "kinda under-powered but fun for role playing" to "Hyper-capitalists who can never stop awoken fallen empires" Or am I missing something key with pacifists and dealing with FE's? My war policy is liberation wars.

Patch notes said you could no longer liberate Fallen Empires, cant remember if it applied to awakened ones too.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

You can't liberate FE/AEs, but you can directly conquer them. :unsmigghh:

this is to stop exploits like liberating an FE one polity at a time and then forming research agreements.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hard AI gets a 50% bonus to ship fire rate. That's kind of a lot.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I thought humans were getting their traits changed in this patch? I seem to remember they were meant to lose quick learner and gain adaptive and wasteful ("Humans will go anywhere they can gently caress up" was the rationale, iirc). But the default humans still seem to be quick learners. Was this change done away with, or is it for *next* patch?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I decided to join a war between two fallen empires, pledged my loyalty to one only to have the other turn my territory into a smouldering wasteland within a year. My strongest fleet was 10k, so that was a terrible idea.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

Man, the Unbidden are scary this patch. The portal spawned in the middle of my empire and within a year had gutted about a dozen systems before I could even get my fleet back from the front. I refit my fleet to kinetics & armour, and sent them after the portal. In the past, this would've been enough - I had about 100k of fleet strength. I squashed the guard fleet and... the portal had about a billion HP. I watch my fleet pound on it for ages while all the other Unbidden fleets showed up and squashed my fleet into the dirt.

I guess you actually have to hunt down their fleets now. Time for my second Utopia game!
My peacenik mushrooms were kerbstomping the unbidden until I went to refresh my fleets and realised I could either:
1) build them all on the one or two core worlds I'd left un-sectored and have them take too long
2) go through the infinity of clicks required to access sectored space stations
3) desector a bunch of planets and build all the military stations manually
4) new game

Peacenik Mushrooms 2: Robotic Boogaloo are a go!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
There's no notification when you're ready to reach into The Shroud again. Plz fix Paradox thx

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Hommando posted:

I decided to join a war between two fallen empires, pledged my loyalty to one only to have the other turn my territory into a smouldering wasteland within a year. My strongest fleet was 10k, so that was a terrible idea.

Why yes, yes it was. Never rely on AI allies to actually do something rational like back you up.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Chomp8645 posted:

Hello friends,

I am playing my first game of Stellaris and I have a problem. The game feels empty. I do not mean the game design though, I mean physically empty: I cannot find aliens. After two or three hours (at a learner's pace, admittedly) I've contacted only a single sentient species, and it's a fallen empire so there really isn't any interaction to be had. It is stardate 2222.10.19. Is this normal? I didn't touch the galaxy generation settings at all. I've attached a picture. I'm lookin at this map and wondering where everybody is. What I've seen of streams and videos always made the galaxy seem rather crowded.

Thank you for your consideration.

You probably just had bad (or good! Lots of space to expand) luck with neighbor placement, but if you're really curious as to where every other sapient species is hiding, you could always use the Observe console command to temporarily remove the fog of war (though I think you have to reload your game to resume playing properly, without having to fidlde more with the console)

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

My peacenik mushrooms were kerbstomping the unbidden until I went to refresh my fleets and realised I could either:
1) build them all on the one or two core worlds I'd left un-sectored and have them take too long
4) new game

I really cannot wait for the equivalent of EUIV's Build Mode for sectors. Or EUIV's army templates. Or a 'refill this fleet' button.

Shroud is a bit underwhelming. Haven't seen too much of it, but it's largely a collection of five-year buffs balanced with a chance of five-year penalties. I got a five-year 20% penalty to research because I clicked on an option that looked relatively safe. Clearly you should go big or go home.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Aethernet posted:

Shroud is a bit underwhelming. Haven't seen too much of it, but it's largely a collection of five-year buffs balanced with a chance of five-year penalties. I got a five-year 20% penalty to research because I clicked on an option that looked relatively safe. Clearly you should go big or go home.

Honky Dong Country posted:

I just dragged a psionic avatar out of the shroud and into my service. It's a single ship with 17.9k fleet power. God I love this loving DLC.

The Chaos Gods Shroud Entities smile upon me!

Also I just made a covenant with some beings called the Whisperers in the Void that's giving me a 15% boost to research speed and influence gain, but it says there will be a price to pay, not sure how that's gonna pan out. So far I just got a message about people on my worlds who were previously sane committing suicide and murdering people. Gonna be fun!

I always go with the green option though, and only had a failure the first time that didn't cause anything bad to happen.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

4) new game

You don't need to unsector worlds to use their spaceports, they are always available for both upgrading sections and building ships. The easiest way around your problem would just be to bind however many spaceports you need to Ctrl 1-0 and effectivize your production thusly. If anyone's been limiting their space building to whatever core worlds they control all this time, I feel sorry for you!

Same for building armies.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is it possible to rebind keys in this game? I want F8 to be leaders, if I need the traditions window I can just click on the unity budget at the top.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bohemian Nights posted:

You don't need to unsector worlds to use their spaceports, they are always available for both upgrading sections and building ships.
I know you can access them, it's that core worlds sit in the hotbar so building off them is click planet -> click ship(s) -> click planet -> click ship(s) etc etc. Accessing sectored worlds is way fiddlier.

Bohemian Nights posted:

The easiest way around your problem would just be to bind however many spaceports you need to Ctrl 1-0 and effectivize your production thusly.
Ooh, interesting.

Aethernet posted:

I really cannot wait for the equivalent of EUIV's Build Mode for sectors. Or EUIV's army templates. Or a 'refill this fleet' button.
All the stuff that has been reworked is So Good and Fun that it's throwing the still barebones stuff (fleet management, no upgrade all button for buildings, limited diplomatic options) into even starker contrast #1stgalaxyproblems

I have faith in the 1.6 War and Peace patch/DLC

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

Ooh, interesting.

In the early game it's obviously complete overkill to have 10 spaceports dedicated to ship building, but when you've played couple of centuries or further into the late game, it's real practical to have 10 dedicated planets. When I'm in full on empire mode I usually split up my spaceports by ship type production speciality, like a couple each for corvettes and destroyers, cruisers and battleships for the rest. Then I fill the remaining slots with engineering bays and more expensive stuff like fleet academies and similar ship buff addons when my economy allows.

Like, I know I'll lose a ton of cruisers every time I go up against a similarly powerful empire, so I just set my first contact fleet as the rally point and spend a few seconds queuing up a dozen replacements before I even warp into battle, its nice

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 8, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bohemian Nights posted:

In the early game it's obviously complete overkill to have 10 spaceports dedicated to ship building, but when you've played couple of centuries or further into the late game, it's real practical to have 10 dedicated planets. When I'm in full on empire mode I usually split up my spaceports by ship type production speciality, like a couple each for corvettes and destroyers, cruisers and battleships for the rest. Then I fill the remaining slots with engineering bays and more expensive stuff like fleet academies and similar ship buff addons when my economy allows.

Like, I know I'll lose a ton of cruisers every time I go up against a similarly powerful empire, so I just set my first contact fleet as the rally point and spend a few seconds queuing up a dozen replacements before I even warp into battle, its nice
That's exactly what I was trying to do, but I got sick of clicking about four planets in (I was already a bit clicked out from setting all they keystone buildings on a bunch of planets I'd just colonised prior to sectoring them). I'll try the hotkey option for this new run.

On the subject of keystone buildings, is it just me or are frontier clinics/hospitals useless now? I could have sworn they used to increase habitability. Now they're just crappy farms that Agrarian Ideal doesn't apply to.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Staltran posted:

The Galactic Wonders megastructures seem kind of underwhelming. Do you have to build parts one at a time after finishing the site? If so, science nexus seems to have a total build time of 27,5 years with the master builders ascension perk, and Dyson spheres 55 years. And the total output doesn't seem amazing either, Science nexuses 50 science of all types is about 2 orbitals worth, but the orbitals will also produce some energy, and you can build three for the price of one science nexus. Filling them up might take a bit longer than building the science nexus, I suppose. A Dyson sphere produces 400 energy, which is worth 800 minerals at most. They cost a bit over 200k, so they pay for themselves maybe around 10 years after being finished, since they produce some of the energy while partially complete? That's still over 60 years to get your investment back...

Ring worlds take 30 years to complete, and cost 47500 minerals and 225 influence with master builders. Habitats still seem better unless you're much more constrained by influence than minerals. Though I don't know what buildings ring worlds get...

So regarding this, the problem with Habitats is that they can lead to you becoming resource starved. They are great for energy and research but somewhat worse than planets for unity and basically awful for mineral production, filling every system with habitats will tank your mineral production as you inflate your cost of living expenses, though it will make you extremely rich energy wise and with excellent research. It can be a great idea to have a few habitats where you build nothing but labs and perhaps a happiness building or two then stick science ships to assist research on them. Additionally each habitat does count as another world for research/unity costs and they are not exactly big planets with only size 12.

A ringworld section uses regular buildings but on a size 25 gaia world and so does not have any of those limitations along with having maximum efficiency when it comes to pops/production per additional planet. I guess that the science nexus follows a similar principle, you get a ton of science without adding more planets and thus slowing down your tradition gain, though by the time you can make one you could potentially have maxed out all of the trees and thus not care at all.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Splicer posted:

On the subject of keystone buildings, is it just me or are frontier clinics/hospitals useless now? I could have sworn they used to increase habitability. Now they're just crappy farms that Agrarian Ideal doesn't apply to.

They used to improve habitability, but with all the other possibilities to increase that stat, they were often redundant. Now they boost growth time, which makes sense flavor-wise, but I'm not sure if they're "worth it" yet.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Frontier clinics are ironically most worthwhile on small core worlds, so they can keep spewing out pops to fill up your new colonies via the buffed migration mechanic.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So I got utopia, still haven't played but going to start a game soon. I see many things have changed and I guess all choices are somewhat viable (ethos, traits etc) but are there any obvious traps to avoid? Haven't played since 1.2 and there weren't even all those planet types back then..

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Chomp8645 posted:

Hello friends,

I am playing my first game of Stellaris and I have a problem. The game feels empty. I do not mean the game design though, I mean physically empty: I cannot find aliens. After two or three hours (at a learner's pace, admittedly) I've contacted only a single sentient species, and it's a fallen empire so there really isn't any interaction to be had. It is stardate 2222.10.19. Is this normal? I didn't touch the galaxy generation settings at all. I've attached a picture. I'm lookin at this map and wondering where everybody is. What I've seen of streams and videos always made the galaxy seem rather crowded.

Thank you for your consideration.

You barely explored anything. Youre still in your tiny little corner of your tiny galaxy. If you want to see aliens send some ships out to look for them. Preferably not science ships.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

TorakFade posted:

So I got utopia, still haven't played but going to start a game soon. I see many things have changed and I guess all choices are somewhat viable (ethos, traits etc) but are there any obvious traps to avoid? Haven't played since 1.2 and there weren't even all those planet types back then..
Machinist civic seems to be kinda useless, for example. You get few robots at the start and... that's it. You just replaced some of your more productive organic pops with poo poo tier robots and there is no long-term bonus or anything.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
You also start with the robots tech. But it's a bit poo poo when compared to stuff like 15% unity. 4 additional pops of robots would probably be a nice early game boost.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dwesa posted:

Machinist civic seems to be kinda useless, for example. You get few robots at the start and... that's it. You just replaced some of your more productive organic pops with poo poo tier robots and there is no long-term bonus or anything.

Aren't you supposed to be able to make more? Presumably able to colonise with them too?

Also I assume robots don't eat or use goods either?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

OwlFancier posted:

Aren't you supposed to be able to make more? Presumably able to colonise with them too?

Need the droids tech before you can colonise with them. And they have energy maintenance.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You also start with the robots tech. But it's a bit poo poo when compared to stuff like 15% unity.

Robots double your pop growth and give a decent boost to food and mineral production, and don't require consumer goods. 15% unity is nice, but with the tighter mineral supply in the early game now, it seems like it might be effective.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

If you can get enough spiritualist pops in your empire to form a faction you can adopt spiritualism as one of your official ethics.
-------

Ascendancy perks need to unlock a lot quicker. So far my Fanatic Militarist/Xenophile empire has:

- Conquered a xenophobe fallen empire
- Cock blocked the war in heaven by getting most of the galaxy to join my league of non-aligned worlds
- Squished an unbidden invasion that appeared in the middle of my empire
- Conquered a quarter of the galaxy

And I still only have 2 ascendancy perks. All I want now is to build a ring world so my big dumb empire can retire and go into decline.

I stayed on three worlds a long time (now I'm up to five), filled it with unity and research buildings and just outclassed all other empires. I'm not even close to being able to take on a Fallen Empire, but I have 5 Ascendancy Perks. Don't expect a lot of them if you settle like crazy

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, but if you're materialist, you can build them pretty early anyway and you cannot colonize with basic robots. They don't, but they are only good for mineral production.

Also: unlike syncretic evolution civic, you have to build new robot pops.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 8, 2017

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Bohemian Nights posted:

They really should have included some type of massive shipyard as one of the megastructures

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

VirtualStranger posted:

They really should have included some type of massive shipyard as one of the megastructures

Ya know, a mega shipyard is actually a really cool idea. Maybe something for the future when/if buildable titans or something are implemented

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
You get robots plus Powered Exoskeletons, meaning a +15% buff to mineral production at the start, and one you can have while picking Weak.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Reposting a question of mine from a while back:

CommissarMega posted:

Are Ruler ships and stations still in?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Is there a slowdown bug in Utopia?

Even at the fastest speed things are agonizingly slow. But Task Manager shows Stellaris at sub 5% of my CPU and no IO traffic. Sometimes it'll spike up to 30% and start going fast again, but most of the time it sits there at barely above idle.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm pretty sure I just got an event that was a bitcoin joke.

LogisticEarth posted:

They used to improve habitability, but with all the other possibilities to increase that stat, they were often redundant. Now they boost growth time, which makes sense flavor-wise, but I'm not sure if they're "worth it" yet.
I suppose it's not as cut and dried without the Agrarian Idyll perk, but with it you're giving up +1 food and +1 unity for a pop growth boost.

I guess I'm really saying that Agrarian Idyll should maybe apply to frontier hospitals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Do sectors make their own fleets now or do anything other than poorly upgrade lesser regions of your empire? Is there a ship template option yet? Do I still need to click upgrade on every building still? Is there still no hot key system for planetary surface maintenance?

The quality of life aspects of the game and the late game chug really tapers my appreciation of the game.

But I've still played over a hundred hours. Meaning I really like it. But as with paradox games this is a masterpiece in progress.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 8, 2017

• Locked thread