Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I love that thing, because either :

A. The person they're calculating for averaged $11.88 per hour net across both jobs

or

B. Assuming minimum wage with 15% off the top for taxes, the person worked 77 hours a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

e: I'm pretty sure Papa John's used to include the exact same "budget" in their employee handbooks. Whole Foods had something similar too.

I can't find any examples online, but Walmart allegedly publishes and distributes pamphlets instructing its employees to apply for government assistance.

Most recent figures put Walmart's annual cost to the taxpayer (just through assistance programs for their low wage employees) at $6.2 billion.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I worked for Walmart briefly a couple of years ago, and never got anything like that.

But they also paid me a bit above minimum wage (I want to say it was $8.50/hr?). I had a slight bump (I think 25c/hr or 50c/hr?) because I worked overnight, though.

To be honest, they didn't seem that bad to work for as far as retail and food service goes, but I worked in a neighborhood market (their version of a grocery store) instead of a full blown Walmart.

e: I know this used to be a thing, but it seemed like they'd been receptive to all the negative publicity by the time I went to work for them

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 8, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BraveUlysses posted:

inevitably it comes back to these shitheads saying its a good wage for high schoolers and if you're an adult making minimum wage you're a gently caress up who deserves it

ilkhan posted:

If you are trying to support a family on minimum wage you are doing life wrong.

Right on loving cue lmao

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
P sure he has me on ignore so keep quoting my posts namaste

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

P sure he has me on ignore so keep quoting my posts namaste

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Hey, it's hard to come to grips with the idea that you're being constantly undervalued as an employee

If burger flippers are demanding your salary to stay alive, your actual training and certification aren't as much of an asset as you originally thought

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
First, Apple just auto downloaded the new iPhone update without asking me since when is this a thing? Took like 45 mins to install after too.

Second, am I the only person who "details" their rental cars? Got a fresh 17 Explorer with 1800 miles and it was rental car clean when I picked it up this morning but it is still on the assembly line clean after 3 hours. Is this stupid? For me I feel like I am living above my means for a little while (going on vacation, stole this thing for $297 for 10'days)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

everdave posted:

First, Apple just auto downloaded the new iPhone update without asking me since when is this a thing? Took like 45 mins to install after too.

Second, am I the only person who "details" their rental cars? Got a fresh 17 Explorer with 1800 miles and it was rental car clean when I picked it up this morning but it is still on the assembly line clean after 3 hours. Is this stupid? For me I feel like I am living above my means for a little while (going on vacation, stole this thing for $297 for 10'days)

I always have to clean the inside of the windshield because they leave it hazy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i for one cannot wait for ilkhan to get run over by an automated 10-person vehicle carrying a bunch of plebs to their minimum wage jobs

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dear Dallas County,

Please fix your broken outdoor warning sirens. Some of us would like to sleep tonight.

Alternatively, just tell me to bend over and kiss my rear end goodbye.

e: goddamnit, wish I'd nabbed a screenshot before clearing the notification, but one notification on my phone was about a new episode of Radiolab being downloaded - "Nukes". Oddly appropriate when all of the outdoor warning sirens go apeshit at midnight.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 8, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Dear Dallas County,

Please fix your broken outdoor warning sirens. Some of us would like to sleep tonight.

Alternatively, just tell me to bend over and kiss my rear end goodbye.

Ahaha gently caress my life that'd be awful. Bad enough when your own smoke detectors false alarm in the middle of the night.

Edit: I am literally a child. http://www.colorfinger.net/assholeMovies/

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 8, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nbcdfw.com posted:

Dallas Fire-Rescue firefighters are manually shutting off the sirens and a total shutdown could take up to three hours, or until just before 4 a.m.

:stare::hf::sigh:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ahaha gently caress my life that'd be awful. Bad enough when your own smoke detectors false alarm in the middle of the night.

Edit: I am literally a child. http://www.colorfinger.net/assholeMovies/

The city I'm in got ours shut down really quick, but I can still hear the sirens in Dallas if I turn the TV off. I'm not close enough to any sirens (even the ones in my city) to have them wake me up from a dead sleep, though I do have a weather radio that goes apeshit with loud noises whenever there's a tornado warning or severe thunderstorm warning (weather radio is pretty much required equipment in this part of the country). I've still managed to sleep through that thing a couple of times, even though it's in the bedroom.

And thanks for that link... I have something to keep me laughing until I can fall asleep.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 8, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I *highly* recommend getting bored with rear end in a top hat and change it to Cumlick

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

fridge corn posted:

i for one cannot wait for ilkhan to get run over by an automated 10-person vehicle carrying a bunch of plebs to their minimum wage jobs

I can't believe I'm agreeing with fridge.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

inevitably it comes back to these shitheads saying its a good wage for high schoolers and if you're an adult making minimum wage you're a gently caress up who deserves it

if you wait long enough they'll eventually say some dumbfuck poo poo about how CEO pay can never be capped because then all the good CEOs will go do charity work instead to spite us

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

Hey, it's hard to come to grips with the idea that you're being constantly undervalued as an employee

If burger flippers are demanding your salary to stay alive, your actual training and certification aren't as much of an asset as you originally thought
It's perfectly justified to get annoyed about that, but what makes you a dick is if you blame the burger flippers for getting uppity.

Ether Frenzy posted:

if you wait long enough they'll eventually say some dumbfuck poo poo about how CEO pay can never be capped because then all the good CEOs will go do charity work instead to spite us
No, but I will say that capping how much someone may earn from their own private ventures (so you're not personally paying them and it's not public money) is morally dubious and accelerating rapidly toward simple crab bucketing.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If a company needs government assistance programs to step up and handle the shortcomings in the pay they offer their full time employees in order to main societal order, and additionally the company is profitable because of corporate welfare offered through tax breaks for companies that don't need them but have powerful lobbies and reliance on republican legislative shitheadism, then I guess gently caress the moral dubiousness of garnishing the CEO's wages to pay back some of the governmental largesse they're enjoying at the expense of the middle class and workers for their own company.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 8, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm with Ether, eat the rich!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

No, but I will say that capping how much someone may earn from their own private ventures (so you're not personally paying them and it's not public money) is morally dubious and accelerating rapidly toward simple crab bucketing.

If they want to make a billion bucks by paying wages that no one can live on, then they can go gently caress themselves and much more morally corrupt

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ether Frenzy posted:

If a company needs government assistance programs to step up and handle the shortcomings in the pay they offer their full time employees in order to main societal order, and additionally the company is profitable because of corporate welfare offered through tax breaks for companies that don't need them but have powerful lobbies and reliance on republican legislative shitheadism, then I guess gently caress the moral dubiousness of garnishing the CEO's wages to pay back some of the governmental largesse they're enjoying at the expense of the middle class and workers for their own company.
You can address all of those issues without capping how much someone may earn.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If they want to make a billion bucks by paying wages that no one can live on, then they can go gently caress themselves and much more morally corrupt
Except I didn't say that.

Working full time should pay enough to live on. Beyond that, if you can figure out how to get your shareholders to let you have twice as much rice on each square of the chessboard, fair play to you, it really isn't anyone else's concern, though you may have to make your own decisions about how to weather the social/politcal fallout.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 8, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Except I didn't say that.

Except that's exactly what a CEO who wants to make a billion bucks does. There comes a point where it's about greed rather than honest reward - and if the renumeration package is 33 million while the employees cant earn a living wage, then the CEO is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm with CAT INTERCEPTOR, let's burn down all the walmarts!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Except that's exactly what a CEO who wants to make a billion bucks does. There comes a point where it's about greed rather than honest reward - and if the renumeration package is 33 million while the employees cant earn a living wage, then the CEO is a loving rear end in a top hat.
Yes, they are. But you can set the rules such that they must pay a living wage while leaving them to do their own thing and you solve the problem being discussed.

If I were a CEO and you said I can only earn, say, 100x what my lowest-paid employee does, all I'll do is spin out my low-earning departments as separate companies which i subcontract work to, and make sure "my" employees are all the high earners that let me stay where I am while notionally meeting the rule. That's what happens with this poo poo, and it's what will continue to happen. Keep it simple, say that you have to pay people a minimum livable wage without any loopholes to exploit, and you've achieved the objective.

Beyond that, you're doing it because you want to punish people for being rich. If you're paying the people at the bottom enough, how much anyone else gets is a moot point.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Powershift posted:

I'm not going to lie - the last time I shopped at one the thought crossed my mind.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Beyond that, you're doing it because you want to punish people for being rich.

Well given how many of them are pure assholes and they themselves do all they can to gently caress over the poor and the middle class.......

I say tax them. Soiciety worked a hell of a lot better when the rich and corporations paid their taxes.

Powershift posted:

That might help out a lot TBH. How many small businesses and also manufacturers have been severly rear end hosed by Walmart?, let alone their employees?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That might help out a lot TBH. How many small businesses and also manufacturers have been severly rear end hosed by Walmart?, let alone their employees?

Yep. Don't forget one of the seminal company fucks from Walmart, where they almost drove Vlasic out of business:

https://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Seminal Flu posted:

Yep. Don't forget one of the seminal company fucks from Walmart, where they almost drove Vlasic out of business:

https://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know

Don't forget about the burden on the back side whereas Walmart also employs their low price guarantee on employee wages to the point where a great number of workers are on government assistance just to work there: https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welco...www.google.com/

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Almost all of them. Doesn't even have to be small businesses either, and not doing business with Walmart has repercussions too.

The hosed up part is that if you really study Walmart history, this is really not what Sam Walton wanted. He wanted a store where folks with lower income had access to a variety of decent quality product. The combination of not having him in charge (edit: also, he's dead), plus becoming a public corporation, turned it into the monstrosity that it is now.

The driving problem is really "The purpose of a company is to drive shareholder value", and Wall Street demands exorbitant year over year growth. Gotta make that buck, whatever the cost. This also leads to "The EPA fine is cheaper than disposing of it correctly, just dump that poo poo!"

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hey guys lets keep it civil. We dont want a repeat of jim-bob wailing on cleatus. Yes I know cleatus he suckerpunched you nobodys arguing the fact.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

it's a beautiful day 🌞😎🌞

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Setting up a data center recently, and I rescued some (six) fans and a couple of CPU heat sinks from the trash bin. Brand spanking new HP stuff. Is this worth anything to DIY PC builders, or should I just bin it? It's from a HPE 380 somethingsomething server.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

bolind posted:

Setting up a data center recently, and I rescued some (six) fans and a couple of CPU heat sinks from the trash bin. Brand spanking new HP stuff. Is this worth anything to DIY PC builders, or should I just bin it? It's from a HPE 380 somethingsomething server.

Toss it on SA-Mart and see if you get any PMs.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just harvested the first load of sprouting broccoli and spinach beat and the kids can't get enough of it. I need a BBQ to compliment it next. Would be nice to grow our own potatoes as well.

Spent the afternoon tearing the trailer apart to see what needs to be done to use it camping later this year. You guys don't know how lucky you have it with the harbor freight $300 trailer, anything comparable in the UK is £700+. Anyone ever imported anything from Alibaba.com? :haw:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fridge corn posted:

it's a beautiful day 🌞😎🌞

It is indeed. I woke up on a farm populated with babby goats and cows, petted 4 dogs and 2 cats, was shown an old Range Rover V8 I can play mechanic with, ate an egg sandwich, sat in the sun... It's a drat fine day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i regret nothing

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just woke up and I fee wonderful

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

i regret nothing

I was feeling great, on a great day, until I cringed so hard, I think I pulled something...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

i regret nothing

That owns. Sorry Meat Flu.

Read the bathroom thread. Having never encountered those engineered joists before, it took me a while to realize what was up. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Or 80 gallons of water and a wet, naked goon, if you will. That was monumentally stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ive lit the bbq

• Locked thread