Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Guys,Guys.........

Man of steel is boring

Personally I was a big fan of the third act, 9/11 times a hundred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

I genuinely agree with this, I don't think I've ever seen a more effective or powerful representation of 9/11 on the silver screen yet
whether or not it belongs in a superhero movie is kinda moot

then again I never watched that Oliver Stone Nicholas Cage movie or that one movie where the dude from Twilight dies in 9/11 so maybe I'm missing out

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

dont even fink about it posted:

In the next movie I hope the see the newspaper headline:

DOZENS MILDLY TRAUMATIZED IN METROPOLIS ATTACK

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That's more the Avengers 2012 thing. In Man of Steel, Zod finds a cool way to send thousands of people hurtling into the skyline, suspend them there just long enough to realize they are going to die and nothing can save them, and then crushes their bodies. This occurs over and over. Then Zod and Superman, meeting in a horrific blast crater that used to be a city, proceed to take out several skyscrapers.

Other than Kevin Costner becoming One with the Tornado--which comes off way funnier than I think they intended--it's a good movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

In the next movie I hope the see the newspaper headline:

TWO OR THREE GUYS FRIGHTENED AS RESULT OF ATTACK

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Someone recut the JL trailer with the theme from the JL cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LQsSP1DoTs

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Guy A. Person posted:

TWO OR THREE GUYS FRIGHTENED AS RESULT OF ATTACK

Babby cried as ground shook.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Car alarms went off as ground shook.

Ftfy

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I know that box office projections are pretty much useless on the long term but why are people freaking out about WW "tracking" for an 80 million opening? That's higher than Kong's performance and no one is claiming that one was a flop.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I know that box office projections are pretty much useless on the long term but why are people freaking out about WW "tracking" for an 80 million opening? That's higher than Kong's performance and no one is claiming that one was a flop.

Because it's a DC film and any excuse to doomsay or downplay will be taken regardless of reality

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Kong wasn't a superhero movie.

An $80m opening on WW would put it between X-Men Origins: Wolverine and X-Men: Apocalypse which is not a great spot to hold, and it'd also be a fair bit below The Amazing Spider-Man 2 which was considered to be so disappointing that it ended that iteration if the franchise. It'd still be a bigger opening than Captain America: The First Avenger, Batman Begins and The Watchmen and with the budget it's on it definitely wouldn't be a financial failure but an $80m opening in the current market would be seen as a big fat "Meh?" from the audience.

But yeah, the opening is pretty much just a reflection of pre-screening hype and advertising and it doesn't mean squat in the end. There's films that had a bigger opening that ended up being box office disappointments and there's films with much lower openings that went on to be massive successes. The only reason that cinema sites write articles about opening projections is that they've got nothing else to write about at this point.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm pretty sure Wonder Woman also have a lower production cost than X-Men Apocalypse, ASM2 or Kong. Kong just surpassed $500 million worldwide too.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I don't know, it feels like is an unfair comparison to hold WW to the same standards of bigger names like Spiderman or Wolverine.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

And, as is pointed out literally every time this comes up, WB has 100% rights to their DC comics stable for merchandising and cross-promotion, meaning that Wonder Woman will very likely have already made back a significant portion of its production budget before a single ticket is sold.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Another thing that is GOING to be a major element for this, Wonder Woman is the first modern female super hero movie.

She is going to be the standard by which all others are judged- and through that, the one that is going to be given the most scorn and criticism.

So you know. Look forward to that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Doesn't Wonder Woman come out in June? How do they track a film before it's had it's first early screenings or marketing roll out?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

parallelodad posted:

Doesn't Wonder Woman come out in June? How do they track a film before it's had it's first early screenings or marketing roll out?

They ritually gut a boar, and interpret the shapes formed by the outline of it's spilled guts.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Box office projections ten weeks out is like predicting weather ten weeks out, anyway. Although generally BO projections tend to rise, because the closer to release, the more thorough and constant the advertising becomes, general awareness peaks, pre-sales come in, etc. etc. etc.

Like two weeks out the projections will be well north of $100m if it's already at $80, given historical patterns. It's not going to open to like $190 million, but a solid $115-$120 million in the US is highly likely (and I bet Wondy plays especially well internationally and pulls in a ridiculous chunk of change overseas).

This will also be presented as a failure by a good 75% of the press, I assume, again, given historical patterns.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Cameo posted:

This will also be presented as a failure by a good 75% of the press, I assume, again, given historical patterns.

If WW pulled like a $180 million opening weekend, there'd be doomsaying of a massive second-week dropoff and weak legs come Monday.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

parallelodad posted:

I'm guessing presales and whatever other market research they are doing.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Kong wasn't a superhero movie.

An $80m opening on WW would put it between X-Men Origins: Wolverine and X-Men: Apocalypse which is not a great spot to hold, and it'd also be a fair bit below The Amazing Spider-Man 2 which was considered to be so disappointing that it ended that iteration if the franchise. It'd still be a bigger opening than Captain America: The First Avenger, Batman Begins and The Watchmen and with the budget it's on it definitely wouldn't be a financial failure but an $80m opening in the current market would be seen as a big fat "Meh?" from the audience.

But yeah, the opening is pretty much just a reflection of pre-screening hype and advertising and it doesn't mean squat in the end. There's films that had a bigger opening that ended up being box office disappointments and there's films with much lower openings that went on to be massive successes. The only reason that cinema sites write articles about opening projections is that they've got nothing else to write about at this point.

This is a good analysis but context is super important as well.

ASM2 was considered a "flop" because Spider-Man is literally the only high grossing franchise Sony has (there was a cool discussion about that a few pages back, the original Raimi series are all in their top 5 highest grossing movies ever, with Skyfall and Men in Black 1 rounding it out) and they don't even have the merchandise rights. Like you said, X-Men has always grossed pretty weak compared to the bigger franchises but they've never been in the kind of panic mode ASM2 lead to, because they have poo poo like Avatar(whenever the hell that gets released) and they're not over-budgeting and putting all their eggs in one basket. WW has like a third of the budget of ASM2 and it's 10 weeks out and I guarantee they're going to have a big push where they sell a bunch of merch to preteen girls since this is the first woman super hero headlining a movie.

Burkion posted:

Because it's a DC film and any excuse to doomsay or downplay will be taken regardless of reality

It's this basically.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Burkion posted:

Another thing that is GOING to be a major element for this, Wonder Woman is the first modern female super hero movie.

Catwoman. I was going to come up with a joke but I feel just mentioning the title is joke enough. So basically I think people are going to talk up the woman angle just to sound smart, but ultimately I don't think its going to really matter. As long as the question is, "Does she kick rear end?" and the answer is, "Yes" then the movie will do well.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm happy Catwoman exists so this scene exists though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNlmRId2FVQ

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Not going to click. I know what it is.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I love this scene

It is completely baffling

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Punkin Spunkin posted:

S-she's passing the ball back and forth between her hands... like some sort of... cat... woman??

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

Catwoman. I was going to come up with a joke but I feel just mentioning the title is joke enough. So basically I think people are going to talk up the woman angle just to sound smart, but ultimately I don't think its going to really matter. As long as the question is, "Does she kick rear end?" and the answer is, "Yes" then the movie will do well.

The female superhero/comic movies were: Sheena 1984, Supergirl 1984, Tank Girl 1995, Barb Wire 1996, Catwoman 2004 and Elektra 2005.

I reckon that the 'modern' era of superhero movies started with Batman Begins 2005 and Iron Man 2008 so that'd mean that WW was going to be the first of this era.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'd consider Xmen and Spiderman the start, but I can't remember when those came out. 2000 for Xmen maybe?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Electromax posted:

I'd consider Xmen and Spiderman the start, but I can't remember when those came out. 2000 for Xmen maybe?

'00 and '02, respectively.

It's tricky dividing superhero films into eras, there's no real clear cut off events or boundaries so the 'eras' are going to blend into each other quite a bit. To me it feels like the Raimi Spider-Man films, the early X-Men films and contemporaries like the '05 Fantastic Four were trying to refine and perfect the model that the '89-97 Batman films tried and failed to create (which in turn was trying to refine and perfect the model that the '78-'87 Superman films tried and failed to create) and they fell into similar traps of the heroes becoming parodies of themselves and the plots devolved into "Just shove a few more villains in there" banalities. The X-Men films wisely rebooted themselves and managed to squeeze a few more films out of the franchise as a result but they seem to have lost stem recently, although I guess Deadpool may have given it some new life.
It feels to me that the MCU and the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy was the point where the genre finally ironed out the kinks and finally figured out a successful model for going forwards of "Plan out several movies in advance, have clear cut off points, lock the actors in for a set amount of movies, establish a look & feel that ties them all together."

There was also a grim-n-gritty 90s anti-hero era that included movies like Darkman, The Crow, Spawn and Blade (and Mystery Men, I guess) which fed into the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy.

Here's a handy chronological list of superhero movies: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?view=main&sort=date&order=DESC&pagenum=1&id=superhero.htm

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Schwarzwald posted:

They ritually gut a boar, and interpret the shapes formed by the outline of it's spilled guts.
That is not how pig based divination works at all. You just let Hen Wen root around through the letter sticks.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Electromax posted:

I'd definitely consider X-Men and Spider-Man (Raimi) the start of the modern superhero movie era. It seemed previous comic book based movies failed to inspire more movies/characters (Reeve Superman, Burton/Shumacker Batman) or were relegated to cult and TV film crap (Most of Marvel before Iron Man). I'd even go so far to say that movies like Blade didn't even market themselves as superhero/comic book movies and rather marketed itself as a horror movie or whatever traditional genre it is.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Scyantific posted:

Huh, I've never watched the cartoon but that's a really nice and rousing theme.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Wendell posted:

Huh, I've never watched the cartoon but that's a really nice and rousing theme.

It's still on Netflix, as well as Justice League Unlimited, the sequel series. They are really solid.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

notthegoatseguy posted:

It seemed previous comic book based movies failed to inspire more movies/characters (Reeve Superman, Burton/Shumacker Batman)

The inspiration was there but the audiences had different ideas. Reeve's Superman had a Supergirl spinoff movie (with hopes of more to follow) and there was a planned Robin/Nightwing spinoff from the Shumacher Batman films which got canned when Batman and Robin fizzled. There were plans to keep those franchises going for as long as possible but they hosed them up.

This poster for Supergirl was rather naively optimistic:

"Her first great adventure!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The inspiration was there but the audiences had different ideas. Reeve's Superman had a Supergirl spinoff movie (with hopes of more to follow) and there was a planned Robin/Nightwing spinoff from the Shumacher Batman films which got canned when Batman and Robin fizzled. There were plans to keep those franchises going for as long as possible but they hosed them up.

My memory is a little fuzzy but I'm pretty sure Supergirl neither sets foot nor flies through New York in that movie, so that's two things wrong with the poster.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

My memory is a little fuzzy but I'm pretty sure Supergirl neither sets foot nor flies through New York in that movie, so that's two things wrong with the poster.

I think it's a fake New York anyway.
What hand does the Statue of Liberty usually hold the torch in?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Man, Jerry Goldsmith sure had no problem slumming it.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Supergirl is so weird and awesome

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

UmOk posted:

Supergirl is so weird and awesome

Which version did you see? There's a 105 min theatrical version and a 138 min director's cut. Apparently test audiences thought it was too long so they tore the hell out if it in the editing bay before releasing it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Scyantific posted:

By recut you mean did an extremely lovely job of just dropping the cartoon theme over the top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
still waiting for the Superman IV Director's Cut.

• Locked thread