Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm learning to avoid taking sharp corners in mass effect 2. They're a quick way to end up stuck in the ceiling

haha me too :hfive: i've gotten stuck in walls multiple times now 'cos shepard turned just a little too fast

Fojar38 posted:

Writing is actually pretty good with some notably cringe-worthy lines

:stare: i'm not sure how wide the gap between the demo and the rest of the game is, in terms of writing, but hoooo boy

i played it yesterday and it was like, phenomenally boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm so handsome.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

Jesus it takes ages to load the game now because of the shaders building.

It's pretty ok running off an SSD I thought.

^ You know I'm kind of disappointed they didn't toss in the DA:I facial tattoos as a bonus option.

Or put in that same mystical plastic surgery location with a disembodied voice for mid-run makeovers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It gets better after the demo. But is really uneven.

The highs are still high. I'm still working my way through it but Kadara and the loyalty missions I have done are great. But yeah the writing can be uninspired at times. And the game does a poor job of on boarding the player with the interesting stuff.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dexo posted:

The highs are still high. I'm still working my way through it but Kadara and the loyalty missions I have done are great. But yeah the writing can be uninspired at times. And the game does a poor job of on boarding the player with the interesting stuff.

they never actually tell you how to switch profiles, which is supposed to be a huge part of the game

for what it's worth I never switched because your stuff goes on cooldown and you have the same weapons so it seems pointless

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Comparing Reyes to Aria really highlights how much better the ME:A writers are than the ME2 writers.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 8, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dexo posted:

And the game does a poor job of on boarding the player with the interesting stuff.

A really poor job. Maybe the worst of any Bioware game since at least Jade Empire. I think I was about 10 hours in before I even began to get invested, which is asking way too much time investment out of people. The tutorial and Eos really needed some punching up, and the shoulda unlocked some of the loyalty missions earlier than half way through the game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

I think the issue is the initial chunk of the game has pacing issues and a lot of the companion and side quests get ON HOLD for no apparent reason because they lock off planets arbitrarily. That can be frustrating.

The quest structure could have used more tuning but I don't imagine that will change now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DancingShade posted:

I think the issue is the initial chunk of the game has pacing issues and a lot of the companion and side quests get ON HOLD for no apparent reason because they lock off planets arbitrarily. That can be frustrating.

The quest structure could have used more tuning but I don't imagine that will change now.

Stopping the demo after the Vault rather than before it would have been a good change.

It's still a slow as gently caress beginning though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Stopping the demo after the Vault rather than before it would have been a good change.

It's still a slow as gently caress beginning though.

I don't have a suggestion to fix the pacing other than the old "make it more like ME2".

In ME1 there were like 2 conversation prompts and zero running around doing bullshit before dumping you on Eden Prime doing shooty bang bang excitement. In ME:A you have a long period of vaguely interactive prep busy work that slows the pace to a crawl.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Dexo posted:

Yeah, the demo felt weird for exactly this reason. The story/setting has all these juicy set-ups, but then refuses to do anything with them or even explain them to me properly, instead bogging me down with boring bullshit minutiae.

i did really like the ad hoc political set up in the wake of garson's unexpected death, and how shaky and ill-defined it is right now. stuff like that, where it feels like thought was put into the setting, would totally keep me playing this game

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

doctor iono posted:

Yeah, the demo felt weird for exactly this reason. The story/setting has all these juicy set-ups, but then refuses to do anything with them or even explain them to me properly, instead bogging me down with boring bullshit minutiae.

i did really like the ad hoc political set up in the wake of garson's unexpected death, and how shaky and ill-defined it is right now. stuff like that, where it feels like thought was put into the setting, would totally keep me playing this game

It's ok. I'm sure Overlord Morda will sort things out for everyone in the fullness of time.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

doctor iono posted:

Yeah, it gets miles better. The beginning is slow as gently caress.

Some genuinely great moments in there, and I haven't even got around to finishing it yet.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If I do a replay, I will probably skip all the side quest and tasks.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, it gets miles better. The beginning is slow as gently caress.

Some genuinely great moments in there, and I haven't even got around to finishing it yet.

Lurker decloaking. Thanks everyone for posting your thoughts- ended up pulling the trigger after reading this thread. Hope the MP reaches the heights of ME3's.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I've been exploring a bit postgame and gosh there is just a shitload of stuff to do. Only very occasionally is it interesting though!

Also your squadmates have an awful lot to say postgame. Like three or four new conversations, which is something

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's too bad you can't access the codex from the phone app like the grimoire cards from destiny. It'd be nice to be able to catch up on lore dumps on the shitter.

If you look in the shitter that's where the lore actually is.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If I do a replay, I will probably skip all the side quest and tasks.
Some of the sidequests have interesting or funny payoffs. The tasks are 99% jerk-offs. At some point I'm sure there'll be a wiki that lists all of them and what you get so you can separate the wheat from the chaff.

highmodulus posted:

Lurker decloaking. Thanks everyone for posting your thoughts- ended up pulling the trigger after reading this thread. Hope the MP reaches the heights of ME3's.
MP is pretty fun, it's most of ME3's MP with a few tweaks. However the latest patch seems to have hosed something up. Lot of people reporting crashes. Was playing last night and almost every match somebody would CTD, and this was on PS4. I crashed out with 10 seconds to go during the extraction wave of a silver game :argh:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Comparing Reyes to Aria really highlights how much better the ME:A writers are than the ME2 writers.

Drax v. Wrex also highlights this. As does Peebee v. Liara.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Drax v. Wrex also highlights this. As does Peebee v. Liara.

you're trying to kill some of the thread regulars with these posts aren't you

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The "scan 10 different animals" task gives you 200 credits even though it can't be finished before mid-game. :negative:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

MP is pretty fun, it's most of ME3's MP with a few tweaks. However the latest patch seems to have hosed something up. Lot of people reporting crashes. Was playing last night and almost every match somebody would CTD, and this was on PS4. I crashed out with 10 seconds to go during the extraction wave of a silver game :argh:

IDK man everything in the multi seems underpowered. I put all four shots from a Disciple into a kett mook at short range and he didn't die, on silver. It wasn't super fun!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

IDK man everything in the multi seems underpowered. I put all four shots from a Disciple into a kett mook at short range and he didn't die, on silver. It wasn't super fun!

Yeah a lot of guns and some combos were a bit underpowered before the patch, I don't know if that's been fixed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

Pretty much all of the multiplayer classes are burning garbage too.

Only ones I like are human saboteur (the only one you get for free), krogan engineer and human kineticist. Don't have that last one but I like the powers.

When you only get 3 powers instead of a larger selection you get to actually customise and choose from... yeah. They're either good or poo poo, no middle ground.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AriadneThread posted:

Everyone in Andromeda certain feels less pretentious and overwrought so far than the original trilogy tended to go. I don't like Peebee, but I didn't like Liara, either.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

gmq posted:

The "scan 10 different animals" task gives you 200 credits even though it can't be finished before mid-game. :negative:

the real reward is scanning

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
by the by does anyone know how you complete the "Aid APEX" mission? They don't actually tell you what you need to give APEX or where to find it

actually that is my problem with a lot of the tasks -- they don't mark anything so you have to wander around randomly to maybe find something related to it, and wandering around randomly in this game sucks and is bad

EDIT: OK apparently you have to scan 20 different types of enemies but gently caress if I know what the last 3 I'd need to scan are

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I hope there is a follow up if only to see if retrieving Angaran GlaDOS, and taking the Primus' deal turn out to be inspired decisions and not incredibly bone-headed ones that reduce Heleus to ash.

Well meaning screw-up Sara is the Best Sara.

Please let the Quarians have gone full Event Horizon out there, let's have not-Tali wandering about gouging out more eyes for her collection.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

by the by does anyone know how you complete the "Aid APEX" mission? They don't actually tell you what you need to give APEX or where to find it

actually that is my problem with a lot of the tasks -- they don't mark anything so you have to wander around randomly to maybe find something related to it, and wandering around randomly in this game sucks and is bad

EDIT: OK apparently you have to scan 20 different types of enemies but gently caress if I know what the last 3 I'd need to scan are

I like it when they have like 2-7 different markers on the map for the same quest but absolutely no distance indicators on the compass bearing so you can't tell if you're going to a close one or the furthest one away without opening the main map anyway :toot:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Pattonesque posted:

I think we all kinda got spoiled on ME3 after playing it for so long. Every gun was max level, plus all sorts of boosters and gear. Even then, a lot of stuff at launch got fixed later. Remember how the Eagle was hot loving garbage for about 6 months before they made it actually kill stuff? Then it became a good weapon. And it was an ultra rare. Hopefully with a bit of time they can balance the weapons better.

DancingShade posted:

Pretty much all of the multiplayer classes are burning garbage too.

Only ones I like are human saboteur (the only one you get for free), krogan engineer and human kineticist. Don't have that last one but I like the powers.

When you only get 3 powers instead of a larger selection you get to actually customise and choose from... yeah. They're either good or poo poo, no middle ground.
Basic HuDept is probably the best class I've used so far, she's the only one I've gotten to 20. Singularity or pull to prime, then detonate with shockwave. Run around with a vanguard or one of the classes that has annihilation and it's explosions all the time.

Mostly the RNG has been a total poo poo to me, I just got a Widow last night and everything else has been complete crap. I carry the Charger on almost everything since it has a large mag and does decent damage. I got the Valkyrie which does decent damage but the RoF is just too goddamn slow for the faster paced combat.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DancingShade posted:

I like it when they have like 2-7 different markers on the map for the same quest but absolutely no distance indicators on the compass bearing so you can't tell if you're going to a close one or the furthest one away without opening the main map anyway :toot:

Press Q and the markers will get a distance indicator.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

AriadneThread posted:

Drax and Wrex I might call a wash, but whatever my problems with her Peebee is better written than early Liara, whose character circa ME 1 largely amounts to "sexy blue exposition waifu."

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Right, I think it is a good idea to recognize the huge amounts of evidence that MEA has better writing than all previous ME titles.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

Drax and Wrex I might call a wash, but whatever my problems with her Peebee is better written than early Liara, whose character circa ME 1 largely amounts to "sexy blue exposition waifu."

PeeBee is better than Liara because she isn't stereotypical slightly submissive female love interest with no other strong personality traits.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

doctor iono posted:

:stare: i'm not sure how wide the gap between the demo and the rest of the game is, in terms of writing, but hoooo boy

i played it yesterday and it was like, phenomenally boring

The writing is easily the weakest part of the game, its very very bad :(

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Moola posted:

The writing is easily the weakest part of the game, its very very bad :(

True, but it's also the best writing of the series.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I don't get this joke your trying to make?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DancingShade posted:

PeeBee is better than Liara because she isn't stereotypical slightly submissive female love interest with no other strong personality traits.

I was worried Peebee would be the worst bits of Liara and Sara combined but she's actually pretty good (unlike both of those characters).

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

it's more likely than you think

edit: also, back half of this game feels like it was written/made by a different team almost. I was having a lot of fun with the game anyways, but everything after after you get past Voeld and Havarl is pretty good.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Why is it always the asari that desperately want to gently caress you. Liara and Peebee both have to be directly turned down even with zero flirting from your character. I think they should have made Jaal be the one begging to stick his alien dick/cloaca/whatever in you no matter what.