Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Xae posted:

Is there a slowdown bug in Utopia?

Even at the fastest speed things are agonizingly slow. But Task Manager shows Stellaris at sub 5% of my CPU and no IO traffic. Sometimes it'll spike up to 30% and start going fast again, but most of the time it sits there at barely above idle.

The game tends to slow down incrementally after a few hundred years as more stuff starts happening around the galaxy, if that's what you're talking about. If you're having slowdowns aside from that, it could be something else on your end

Sethex posted:

Do sectors make their own fleets now or do anything other than poorly upgrade lesser regions of your empire? Is there a ship template option yet? Do I still need to click upgrade on every building still? Is there still no hot key system for planetary surface maintenance?

No to all of the above but the sectors have actually been pretty good at building stuff for a while now, so long as it has the minerals for it. Sectors make up the majority of my empires and I haven't seen them leave empty slots while floating on resources for quite a while.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bohemian Nights posted:

The game tends to slow down incrementally after a few hundred years as more stuff starts happening around the galaxy, if that's what you're talking about. If you're having slowdowns aside from that, it could be something else on your end

Is there a preferred hardware configuration thing that could be tinkered with the prevent the late game stuttering?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Honky Dong Country posted:

I just dragged a psionic avatar out of the shroud and into my service. It's a single ship with 17.9k fleet power. God I love this loving DLC.

The Chaos Gods Shroud Entities smile upon me!

I'm now considering ending my 3+ hour materialist machinist empire and rerolling a spiritualist game.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Sethex posted:

Is there a preferred hardware configuration thing that could be tinkered with the prevent the late game stuttering?

All I know is that the game is very CPU intensive, so that's probably the bottleneck aside from just the game engine itself struggling with everything going on.

also just restarting the game seems to give me a temporary speed boost when things get really bad in the end game, so that's something to try

e: with the caveat that this could be entirely a figment of my imagination, I feel like overall performance improved with the latest patch? Now that I think about it, aside from the slowdown I haven't had a single case of the ingame time freezing up for 5-10 seconds before resuming like it used to, so..

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 8, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Reposting a question of mine from a while back:

I have yet to see them, given that we no longer have those government types. Unless they are hidden somewhere further into the game they do not appear to be available.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You also start with the robots tech. But it's a bit poo poo when compared to stuff like 15% unity. 4 additional pops of robots would probably be a nice early game boost.

There's also an efficiency bonus to your droids. They only cost 0.8 energy. I picked it up because I plan on giving everyone super cool immortal robot bodies.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Baronjutter posted:

Speaking of fallen empires, it looks like you can't liberate them anymore.

Yes, that was a global change.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

MadJackal posted:

There's also an efficiency bonus to your droids. They only cost 0.8 energy. I picked it up because I plan on giving everyone super cool immortal robot bodies.

I did this and I can confirm that it was in fact super cool, but one MAJOR annoyance with turning your entire pop into robots is that there's no robotic defense armies, so all your garrisons gets turned into regular synthetic armies and will now clutter up your army selection tab forever if you want to actually have a garrison on your main race's worlds and don't have aliens living there.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MadJackal posted:

I find droids are also really good for early game colony spam just because they offer the ability to colonize trash world's an make mining hellscapes throughout your empire. Early game energy is an issue though.

Molotov Cock Tale
Jun 30, 2010
Any news on a fix for not being able to bombard fortifications on your own planet that's been taken over by titanic life?

Or do I need to rustle up hundreds of armies and throw them into the grinder?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Molotov Cock Tale posted:

Any news on a fix for not being able to bombard fortifications on your own planet that's been taken over by titanic life?

Or do I need to rustle up hundreds of armies and throw them into the grinder?

I just let them devour the whole planet and recolonize after.

Kinda sucks but eh.

MadJackal posted:

I'm now considering ending my 3+ hour materialist machinist empire and rerolling a spiritualist game.

So far psychics and the shroud have been pretty cool. The psychic trait gives some really good bonuses to leaders too. I also made a bargain with some shroud entities that says I'll pay a price for it some day. No telling what that price will be. But basically you can enter the shroud every few years. Mostly it's a pretty normal bonus but that avatar and the bargain seem to be special things. Unlike the generic bonuses, the avatar doesn't go away. The regular bonuses expire at the same time interval that your psychics require for recovery before entering the shroud again.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 8, 2017

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
!!!

I built my first Ringworld habitat section and a bunch of science ships all came in and scanned it! :kimchi:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OwlFancier posted:

I have yet to see them, given that we no longer have those government types. Unless they are hidden somewhere further into the game they do not appear to be available.

Cool, guess this is how democracy dies for me :v:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
SPECIES SUBMISSION well, resubmission, really

These guys are just chill dudes and great neighbors. Nothing special other than having nice chill ottermans.

https://pastebin.com/UVyuxra5

These guys are NOT good neighbors. They changed the most because I thought the new hive mind mechanics suited a race of very angry birbs, plus hive minds are cool (unless you start next door)

https://pastebin.com/ETqQqexh

And finally

If these guys don't contact the Shroud with ROMAN SPACE ELF MAGIC, something is very, very wrong.

https://pastebin.com/4u9kqGpA

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 8, 2017

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GotLag posted:

txt files aren't Lua, they have a different syntax:
code:
	NGameplay = {
		START_YEAR = 2000
	}
Combine the delightful lack of documentation with the 1.5.0 mod bug and you get a fun couple of hours working all this poo poo out. Also fun: using trial and error to determine the rules governing file names used when re-implementing other txt files.
That did it, thank you! I was looking at other, older mods for Stellaris that changed the startdate and they were using .lua. Why was there a switch over to txt for defines? That explains why more recent comments in those startdate mods are all "it isn't working anymore :(" and such.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Is there no way to press enter in the species biography to enter a new paragraph? Having it be one giant block of text is a little irksome.

e: Had to go into the user empire txt file to make sure it was formatted properly but now I'm happy with the result :3:

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 8, 2017

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
So far I'm loving the patch and expansion. On the modding front there's so much potential for more now.!

I have encountered a weird bug though. For some reason, Ringworlds, when they are complete, the ringworlds get planetary modifiers (that are allowed to spawn on ringworlds) from the common/planet_modifiers files.

Now In the base game there are no planetary modifiers that are allowed to spawn on ringworlds, so I assume it's just an oversight. At least, I think it's not something I am overlooking. I don't feel comfortable enough to make a bug report just yet as it could still be my own fault (my planetary modifier mod is very extensive).

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Frontier outposts in sectors cost influence now? Is that new?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Hommando posted:

Frontier outposts in sectors cost influence now? Is that new?

Been like that for a long time now. Like, since the first patch I think.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

Been like that for a long time now. Like, since the first patch I think.

Shows how long it has been since I last played.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I made friends with my next door neighbors, who shared two of my ethics, and things were fine for a while, except beyond them was a huge mass of empty frontier that apparently had a fanatic religious FE in it. Which I found out because a pop-up came up telling me that we were at war because of the defensive treaty we had with them. I go look and the dumb motherfuckers had colonized a holy world.

Naturally the ethic we didn't share was that I was a pacifist and they, well, they were militarist.

What did the FE do, though? Invaded every one of my worlds that could be considered frontier, blew up the holy world colony, and left the instigators alone otherwise. I just let the warscore get bad enough to force a surrender, then immediately broke the defensive treaty and insulted their leadership. Maybe when the malus fades they'll have learned their lesson. Probably not.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

If it goes anything like my last game that will leave it 3-4 years, then colonise the holy world again

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
So I've finished a Ring World Section. Which contained exotic pets. What.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Nosfereefer posted:

So I've finished a Ring World Section. Which contained exotic pets. What.

Space rats :P

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Tigey posted:

If it goes anything like my last game that will leave it 3-4 years, then colonise the holy world again

And that's fine, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let them get my people murdered for their expansion again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if you've gotten to the point where you're scooping up all the mass in the system and rolling it out into a big space donut the size of an orbital path, the contractors might throw in a few kittens as a freebie.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the music in this expansion is really good, as it was in leviathan and in the original game

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Just lol if you're not listening to Kraftwerk's Man Machine and Radio-Activity while playing this.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
What's a good setting to make the game a little harder than normal? Is hard insane with that 50% fire rate? Or should I run normal and up the amount of empires and advanced civs at start?

Edit: also, is there a hard cool down time on the shroud communication?

Also, don't try to invade the minds of fallen empires and fail. They get reaaaally upset with you for some weird reason. :ohdear:

Kinetica fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 8, 2017

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Didn't get a reply from my post a few pages back, so I figured I should post again.

What do I need to do to make a species submission?

Furthermore, what do I need to do to make a custom species portrait that has everyone looking the exact same (One phenotype, one hairstyle, one clothes).

I kinda wanna make a Gary (from Fallout 3) Fanatical Purifier submission.

If I could I'd change the dialogue, too, but that's a little bit too involved.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Welp, finished the Yuht event chain, went to Yuuhtan, and nothing happened. :v:

On the other hand I just created a Psionic Avatar and everyone else in the galaxy can get hosed because this thing has a higher power score than any non-FE fleet yet built.

e; Also yeah echoing the above, specifically where do I find that code block for submission?

e2; Oh man having a different colored planet icon to see what's being terraformed is a bigger godsend than I would have ever expected.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 8, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Are the resource extraction modifiers for the different types of slavery hardcoded?

Also, somebody talk me out of modding the game to let me do all the precursor chains in the same campaign

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 8, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Mister Adequate posted:

e; Also yeah echoing the above, specifically where do I find that code block for submission?

If you mean "where the code block for things I make exists" then:

C:\Users\<name>\Saved Games\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\user_empire_designs.txt

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

GunnerJ posted:

C:\Users\<name>\Saved Games\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\user_empire_designs.txt

Cool, Good, thank you goon sir.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is there any workaround to the map microstutter when scrolling? It's mitigated but not completely stopped by fullscreen and when paused, but borderless and any kind of speed has it reappear.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GunnerJ posted:

Since we're talking about modding, anyone wanna guess what will happen if I create an Authority type that has both heirs and elections? My suspicion is that the ruler succession mechanics are hard-coded so that it either changes to the heir on ruler death or calls an election, so doing both will crash the game or one behavior will happen but not the other. My hope is that this will result in periodic elections for a new ruler, but ruler death results in the heir taking over.

I think there's a decent chance this might happen the way I want simply because you need to have an heir for an heir to take over, and so the game code probably has to check to see if there's an heir before deciding what to do. But that's based on some big assumptions about how the game is designed.

As an update on this (if anyone cares about my adventures in Stellaris modding), it is possible to make an authority type with both heirs and elections, but it has some annoying implications:

1. When your leader dies, the heir will take over, but an "election" will "occur." What I mean is that the popup for an election in progress happens, but the actual election seems to end immediately since the heir takes power. Annoyingly, this sets back the time until the next election which is not the worst thing in the world, but isn't what I want.

2. When an election occurs and a new ruler takes over, the heir does not change. This might be fixable with some hacky bullshit involving events that silently kill the current heir.

Basically it sorta works but the apparently lack of modding support for messing with succession mechanics (whether by inheritance or election) limits what this can do.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Reposting a question of mine from a while back:

Probably no one answered before because no one knows what you're asking for. "Ruler" ships and stations are not a thing and never have been. You're either talking about a mod, or maybe the Levithan units which are still there but I don't get why you'd think of them as "ruler" units.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Certain government types could build a special Ship or Station once per ruler. Dunno if that's still in.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Kainser posted:

Certain government types could build a special Ship or Station once per ruler. Dunno if that's still in.

It seems not to be, but yes, it was indeed a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

nessin posted:

Probably no one answered before because no one knows what you're asking for. "Ruler" ships and stations are not a thing and never have been.

Nah there used to be a special ship and special army you could build one of if you were a military dictatorship (if I remember right).

I don't see that in the civics description but I haven't tried to get one in Utopia.

E;f,b.

• Locked thread