Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
No Valtteri Constant, my life's work is ruined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
For fucks sake, Giovinazzi, at least he managed a technical presence in Q2.

Mercedes was definitely holding back until Q3, though that little drift Hamilton recovered from on his first Q3 lap gives me hope that he hasn't figured out the tires fully yet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looking forward to the Verstappen dive-bomb to make up 10 places at the start tomorrow.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like how these cars punish dummies without throttle controll.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I completely forgot to set my GP Predictor. Whelp, gently caress.

1500quidporsche posted:

This woman in the press pen is poo poo at her job. First and only question should be "Alonso was in the top ten, what's you're excuse?"

Straight savage. :captainpop:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You could hear Nando working his rear end off when he came on team radio to talk about his animal driving.

Get him a loving good car dammit.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

You could hear Nando working his rear end off when he came on team radio to talk about his animal driving.

Drop Stroll.

Put Alonso in.

Holy gently caress, I'm turgid.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Wonder if water will be Williams achilles heel again this season?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Stroll switched to a much lighter power steering setup compared to Australia. Apparently that's why he looked utterly ridiculous in the Australian Grand Prix onboards of him just desperately fighting the car and steering wheel.

quote:

"We took a different direction with a power steering in Australia, [with a] very heavy wheel," said Stroll. "In testing, I felt it was OK but I was really struggling with it in Australia with the bumps and all that.

"But we can't just go back to a different setting through the weekend so I just lived with it. This weekend, we went to a much lighter wheel and it cured the problem.

"In Australia, the wheel was crazy heavy and the track was really bumpy, so it looked really bad."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/stroll-boosted-by-switch-to-lighter-power-steering-891241/

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

Drop Stroll.

Put Alonso in.

"Fernando is faster than you."

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

GramCracker posted:

I completely forgot to set my GP Predictor. Whelp, gently caress.
It's actually pretty cool and it'll use last weeks instead. Probably sup-optimal for you, but you won't be out lots of points unless you bet on MCLRN.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

Fernando is the spirit animal we want and need.

Wirth1000 posted:

Drop Stroll.

Put Alonso in.

This would be amazing. Keep going, I'm almost there :flashfap:

Khablam posted:

It's actually pretty cool and it'll use last weeks instead. Probably sup-optimal for you, but you won't be out lots of points unless you bet on MCLRN.

Well at least I'm not totally hosed then. I had Alonso set for most positions gained :getin:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's pretty clear that McLaren is still good at making race cars and Alonso is still very good at driving them. The Honda engine is very likely down on power compared to last year, it's unreal he got it into Q2.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

GramCracker posted:

This would be amazing. Keep going, I'm almost there :flashfap:

Ok.

Williams can't afford his wages without further financial injection. Paddy Lowe at Williams might be a big incentive for Alonso to take a wage cut to move over.

Otherwise, it will never happen.

End of chapter.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

wicka posted:

It's pretty clear that McLaren is still good at making race cars and Alonso is still very good at driving them. The Honda engine is very likely down on power compared to last year, it's unreal he got it into Q2.

13-14kph down on the merc in the speed trap

Fastest sectors -9kph S1, -10kph S2, -7kph S3

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fucks sake Channel 4 this is a b-list race and you don't have it live

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Tsaedje posted:

13-14kph down on the merc in the speed trap

Fastest sectors -9kph S1, -10kph S2, -7kph S3

Verstappen with a broken power unit was barely slower through the speed traps than the Hondas.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

It's got to be the most stark comparison on the grid seeing Vandoorne and Alonso. Stoff was poo poo hot in the feeder formula but Alonso is just on a whole other level whilst simultaneously appearing to give less than a fifth of a gently caress about driving the McLaren.

I mean I get that Mercedes probably wanted a quiet order following second driver in Bottas (easy to harp on about equal status when one driver is clearly much better than the other) but goddamn if it had been me making that decision I'd have done the needful and gotten Nando in a Merc. That basically guarantees the WCC and ends Ferrari's challenge before the season begins.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've got Q1: HAM P1:HAM P2: VET P3: BOT PosGain: VES

:getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Theophany posted:

It's got to be the most stark comparison on the grid seeing Vandoorne and Alonso. Stoff was poo poo hot in the feeder formula but Alonso is just on a whole other level whilst simultaneously appearing to give less than a fifth of a gently caress about driving the McLaren.

I mean I get that Mercedes probably wanted a quiet order following second driver in Bottas (easy to harp on about equal status when one driver is clearly much better than the other) but goddamn if it had been me making that decision I'd have done the needful and gotten Nando in a Merc. That basically guarantees the WCC and ends Ferrari's challenge before the season begins.

I also think it'd be easier to provide Williams with free power units for a year than poach 'Nando from McLaren. I'm sure he wants to leave, but he's contract bound and short of retiring, McLaren is not giving him up because he's easily their best driver.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/4/alonso-_ignored-limits-in-qualifying.html

Alonso is going to kill himself driving this piece of poo poo Mclaren.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:smith:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
the race is starting at 7am UK time, right?

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Set your timezone

https://www.f1calendar.com

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Yep!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

iospace posted:

I also think it'd be easier to provide Williams with free power units for a year than poach 'Nando from McLaren. I'm sure he wants to leave, but he's contract bound and short of retiring, McLaren is not giving him up because he's easily their best driver.

That sad reality, I'm sure. But WCC is what determines the payout and I'm sure Mercedes' F1 endeavours are a marketing exercise, not a profitable enterprise, so it's all about minimising the losses. From that perspective, round two of Hamilton vs Alonso in the most dominant machinery would be some real box office material and I'm surprised Bernie didn't get involved in his latter days to drum up more interest in F1. I mean, how can anybody who claims to be an F1 fan not get a raging hard on at that tantalising prospect?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

He is driving like all of the animals, not just one.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 8, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Can you imagine the ratings if he was in a top line car? Like it's stupid that somebody isn't trying to make that happen.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Imagine if he had left the most famous team on the grid for pastures new, and then that ex-team produced a car capable of winning him a WDC while his new team's engine won't stop making GBS threads the bed....

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah but Ferrari would gently caress it up so the outcome is the same

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I wonder if Alonso would sincerely rather drive the shitbox McLaren than narrowly lose the WDC with Ferrari.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes, for some reason the ticker on Sky News was saying 07:30

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

I wonder if Alonso would sincerely rather drive the shitbox McLaren than narrowly lose the WDC with Ferrari.

I wanna know if he actually regrets his decision post-di Montezemolo.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Can you imagine the ratings if he was in a top line car? Like it's stupid that somebody isn't trying to make that happen.

Why do you think I wish for butt rear end to die every time I see him?

I have no loving idea why Stroll isn't doing the sane and good thing and ramming him at 200mph.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Khablam posted:

Why do you think I wish for butt rear end to die every time I see him?

I have no loving idea why Stroll isn't doing the sane and good thing and ramming him at 200mph.

A good post

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

He qualified 10th, time to pay the stroll toll bitches :getin:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

I doubt it. He's a terrible liar and he's terrible at hiding his true emotions. We'd know if regretted leaving Ferrari.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

A good post

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

wuffles posted:

He qualified 10th, time to pay the stroll toll bitches :getin:
This is a good post and I hope that whenever Stroll crashes into someone the other driver will be said to have paid the Stroll toll

Wirth1000 posted:

He actually had a pretty good argument when people were asking him WHY when he left Ferrari. He was like "I'm aiming for the WDC. If a Ferrari wins the WDC next year then I was wrong to leave. If they don't then I was right." I wouldn't think coming || that close for years in a row is more satisfying than not coming close. Look what it did to Our Nico, it drove him so mad he strategized and trained and outperformed Their Lewis just so he could say he did it once and then leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Nando could put a Renault factory car on the podium at the rate he's been driving

• Locked thread