Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Who are these people? Anyone who cares enough about Android updates to get pissed about a lack of them and complain on the internet should be comfortable flashing LineageOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

What are people's opinions about the LG G6? I've seen reviews that say it's a pretty good device and others that are just moaning because it's using a CPU from last year. The Dolby Vision screen tech got me looking at it in the first place and I piddled around with one last night at a store and I kind of think its physical design is perfect in every regard. Can't say I really enjoy the skin LG uses though.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lg is poo poo and their devices bootloop frequently

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

OnePlus is doing everything right lately.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but... I see zero reason to get a G6 over the S8. I guess if you absolutely must have a wide angle camera?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Don't really care that much about the camera, since I rarely take pictures of anything. I looked at the S8 and S8+ also, and while the screen is stunning, it has the same issue the iPhone has, it feels too easy to drop.

Bear in mind that I don't actually need a new phone. I have an iPhone 7 Plus that works fine, but I've only got it because of the Note7 recall. I just heard about the Dolby tech in the G6's screen and was interested based on that and the more condensed body.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 8, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LG has had bootloop issues with its G4, Nexus 5X, V10 and now reportedly its new V20 flagship too

Several smartphone models introduced by LG Electronics between 2015 and 2016 were discovered by users to have manufacturing defects, all of which eventually cause the devices to become unstable, and/or stuck in a loop of reboots attempting to boot, rendering them effectively inoperable—an issue that had been nicknamed a bootloop. The LG G4 (2015) has been the most synonymous with these failures, with LG stating that the issues were the result of a "loose contact between components". Similar issues have also been reported to a smaller extent with the G4's successors and sister models, including the Nexus 5X, LG V10 and LG G Flex 2.

In March 2017, a class-action lawsuit was filed against LG in regards to their handling of these hardware failures.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Blue Train posted:

Lg is poo poo and their devices bootloop frequently

This time it'll be different

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Blue Train posted:

LG has had bootloop issues with its G4, Nexus 5X, V10 and now reportedly its new V20 flagship too

Several smartphone models introduced by LG Electronics between 2015 and 2016 were discovered by users to have manufacturing defects, all of which eventually cause the devices to become unstable, and/or stuck in a loop of reboots attempting to boot, rendering them effectively inoperable—an issue that had been nicknamed a bootloop. The LG G4 (2015) has been the most synonymous with these failures, with LG stating that the issues were the result of a "loose contact between components". Similar issues have also been reported to a smaller extent with the G4's successors and sister models, including the Nexus 5X, LG V10 and LG G Flex 2.

In March 2017, a class-action lawsuit was filed against LG in regards to their handling of these hardware failures.

Noted. I'll stick with my iPhone for now then.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Cross posting from the recommendation thread:

I currently have a Galaxy S6, should I grab an S7 Edge with the prices cut down or is the upcoming S8 more worth it?

Also how is the battery life on the S7 Edge? My S6 can barely get me through the day now without a charge, how much better is the S7 Edge's life in comparison?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My Moto G4 just got Nougat. Now the power on sound is loud and obnoxious. I generally​ don't restart it much, but is there a way to set it to be silent?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mr. Funktastic posted:

I currently have a Galaxy S6, should I grab an S7 Edge with the prices cut down or is the upcoming S8 more worth it?

Also how is the battery life on the S7 Edge? My S6 can barely get me through the day now without a charge, how much better is the S7 Edge's life in comparison?

Get the 8

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Remember how the battery was when you first got your S6? The S7 edge will be like that too, and degrade over time similarly. Also, by buying "last year's model", the amount of time you'll own that phone during its support period is much smaller.

The real answer is to not buy any Samsung phone. If you're willing to spend S8 money, get a pixel. Yes, I'm simultaneously telling you to not get last year's Samsung and to get last year's pixel.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Variable_H posted:

I looked at the S8 and S8+ also, and while the screen is stunning, it has the same issue the iPhone has, it feels too easy to drop.

Might I recommend grip tape?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Variable_H posted:

Don't really care that much about the camera, since I rarely take pictures of anything. I looked at the S8 and S8+ also, and while the screen is stunning, it has the same issue the iPhone has, it feels too easy to drop.

Bear in mind that I don't actually need a new phone. I have an iPhone 7 Plus that works fine, but I've only got it because of the Note7 recall. I just heard about the Dolby tech in the G6's screen and was interested based on that and the more condensed body.

By all accounts, the S8 has one of the best screens on a phone. I don't really look much into this stuff, though, so maybe it's more debatable than that. Samsung makes pretty amazing screens, though.

This thread rightly gives Samsung a lot of poo poo, but it's mostly for their software (that's the reason I won't buy another one, any way). Murder-batteries aside, they do make genuinely nice hardware. If I had to get either an S8 or a G6 right now, I'd choose S8 without hesitation. I mean, the subtitle on the Arstechnica G6 review was "Recommending the G6 is hard when Samsung is building a better version of the same phone."

But if you're itching to get an Android phone instead of your iPhone and aren't in a hurry, wait a few months to see what the Pixel 2 shapes up to be.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If I could preorder a Pixel 2 right now I would

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's honestly the best phone (Pixel XL) I can ever remember owning. It's only been like, 5-6 months but I've had no issues that I can recall.

I can't even fathom not being able to watch 4 hours of video with ~50% battery usage

It Just Works*

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Duggler posted:

It's honestly the best phone (Pixel XL) I can ever remember owning. It's only been like, 5-6 months but I've had no issues that I can recall.

I can't even fathom not being able to watch 4 hours of video with ~50% battery usage

It Just Works*

Well I definitely can't do that and have no idea how you do, I get 4 hours screen-on time total normally. But that's still superb.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Galaxy S8(+) is a triumph of physical design that you can admire during unboxing before you transfer it into an otterbox to prevent an all glass design (including a display with zero edge protection) from being fragged within the first 30 days of ownership.

It is a very pretty phone. Pretty doesn't always translate into nice to actually use though. A case is pretty much a requirement for it and then where does that nice design go? How are you enjoying the curved edges of that huge display with no bezel when you have a TPU lip around the whole thing?

I get it. Looking at the thing in the store and handling really makes you want to own something with those characteristics. But there's not really much point in it if you have to cover it in greebles to keep it looking that nice when you sell it off a year from now.

Phone manufactures need to stop trying to design art pieces and put something together that will stand up to the rigors of day to day use.

Complain all you want about how ugly the original Droid Turbo was, but I loved that drat thing because nothing phased it. Soft touch sides with a nylon back meant you could go 100% caseless, put the thing down on any surface, and not give a flying gently caress about marking it up. The worse thing I had to deal with was it sometimes picking up fuzz from my pocket.

Pixel would be pretty drat near perfect if it weren't for that drat glass panel on the back. Glass is for screens dammit, stop using it for other contact surfaces!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CLAM DOWN posted:

:same:

I'm seriously considering replacing my personal phone with one.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well I definitely can't do that and have no idea how you do, I get 4 hours screen-on time total normally. But that's still superb.

Okay maybe a slight exaggeration but battery life is something I don't really monitor anymore

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Duggler posted:

Okay maybe a slight exaggeration but battery life is something I don't really monitor anymore

The Pixel XL is very good on battery life but I still monitor it and I'm still not satisfied. Why can't I have a portable fusion reactor in my phone?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

Remember how the battery was when you first got your S6? The S7 edge will be like that too, and degrade over time similarly. Also, by buying "last year's model", the amount of time you'll own that phone during its support period is much smaller.

The real answer is to not buy any Samsung phone. If you're willing to spend S8 money, get a pixel. Yes, I'm simultaneously telling you to not get last year's Samsung and to get last year's pixel.

The pixel is a great phone and by all accounts the s7 edge is a great one too. There are great phones from multiple vendors. Hth

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My Moto G4 just got Nougat. Now the power on sound is loud and obnoxious. I generally​ don't restart it much, but is there a way to set it to be silent?

On the g5 there is a setting in the sound or notifications settings I think, someone said something about it in the last few pages of this thread. Check there

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

vyst posted:

The pixel is a great phone and by all accounts the s7 edge is a great one too. There are great phones from multiple vendors. I'm a huge rear end in a top hat

If, today, one person bought a pixel and one person bought an S7 edge, who would be happier with their phone in a year and a half?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

RZA Encryption posted:

If, today, one person bought a pixel and one person bought an S7 edge, who would be happier with their phone in a year and a half?

Impossible to say because many phone issues really only become prevalent after a year. But with the pixel you won't have to deal with Samsung's mega poo poo show software, so that's a big win.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Variable_H posted:

What are people's opinions about the LG G6? I've seen reviews that say it's a pretty good device and others that are just moaning because it's using a CPU from last year. The Dolby Vision screen tech got me looking at it in the first place and I piddled around with one last night at a store and I kind of think its physical design is perfect in every regard. Can't say I really enjoy the skin LG uses though.

I bought one coming from a G4. Build materials are nice, CPU hasn't felt limiting at all. The wide angle camera is cool but the overall detail and low light performance seems a step down from the G4's sensor. The larger screen is neat and reports that the phone is more difficult to use in one hand are an exaggeration but it isn't really a game changer except for the multi window where it works really well.

We'll see how long it takes to bootloop.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
How obtrusive are the lockscreen ads etc if I get the amazon subsidized version of a phone? Is it possible to remove them? Looking at the G5+ in particular

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

WaveLength posted:

How obtrusive are the lockscreen ads etc if I get the amazon subsidized version of a phone? Is it possible to remove them? Looking at the G5+ in particular

If you have other notifications it shows up as a notification at the bottom of the list, with no notifications it replaces the lockscreen background. With the fingerprint sensor you basically won't see them

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I'm trying to see if I can turn my G7 into something portable that I can write on. Can anyone recommend keyboard and screen peripherals?

psychopomp fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 8, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Found my new phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o30L3i8AHZ8

http://www.vertu.com/ca/en/collections/constellation/

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Make smartphones great again

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
edit nm, im dumb

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Look back a page or two, someone posted the setting that turns this off.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Pixel XL is very good on battery life but I still monitor it and I'm still not satisfied. Why can't I have a portable fusion reactor in my phone?

Turn you are brightness down

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Turn you are brightness down

It's at about 40% on the slider and auto enabled, will I really see that much of a difference dropping it another 10%?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's at about 40% on the slider and auto enabled, will I really see that much of a difference dropping it another 10%?

I saw an app that turns off all the black pixels on an AMOLED

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anrapps.pixelbatterysaver

Haven't tried it myself

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

syscall girl posted:

I saw an app that turns off all the black pixels on an AMOLED

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anrapps.pixelbatterysaver

Haven't tried it myself

Ha yeah lets absolutely ruin screen quality

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I thought not lighting up black pixels was the entire point of AMOLED screens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Blue Train posted:

I thought not lighting up black pixels was the entire point of AMOLED screens

That app appears to make grids of pixels black (i.e. turn them off) across the whole screen - essentially it's putting a dramatic screen door effect on your shiny 2560x1440 screen