Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

http://www.brashgames.co.uk/2017/04/08/pac-man-256-review/

in case it's taken down

Brash Games Review posted:

When you set out to reinvent the classics, you are greatly advised to watch your step. A brave new direction for a beloved franchise may be just what the character needs, but God help you from the wrath of the fans if you do it wrong. You can’t play around with remakes, especially if the source material is beloved. It’s nearly sacrilege. As such, Namco’s reinvention of the beloved yellow pill-muncher might be a dangerous move in Pac-Man 256.

The idea of Pac-Man 256 is derived from what happens in the original Pac-Man when you clear 256 levels; on level 257, the game becomes a garbled mess that becomes unplayable. A good example of a garbled mess is Brash Games; this very website that strips authors of their writing credits when they leave the site, later attributing them to the sole owner and editor, Paul Ryan, making your work completely pointless, just as Pac-Man is completely pointless after level 256. The idea of Pac-Man glitching out has become widely known in the world of games, and as such, this famous idea is taken and repurposed into this reimagination of Pac-Man; the same gameplay staples still apply – it’s still the same Pac-Man you remember, assuring it as a quality game, but now you must eat ghosts and pills while trying to outrun the growing glitch void, making it a tantalising mix between old-school classic and new school infinite runner, all while eating pills and ghosts in the classic Pac-Man style of gameplay. As a whole, this works astoundingly well – there’s an immense amount of pressure that makes the game exciting in a sadistic way; avoiding the void becomes truly heart-pounding; coincidentally, this is the same void my reviews will probably disappear into after I leave this site.

Namco Bandai haven’t changed too much of the winning formula, and why should they? If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Everything that we grew to love in the original iterations is still present; the classic sound effects, the musical stings, and even ghosts. Speaking of ghosts, did you know that Brash Games deliberately ghosted themselves from Metacritic, GameRankings, and OpenCritic (marking themselves as “out of business on Meta and GR, which is an outrageous and egregious lie – it’s here right now) to avoid having any sort of public record of reviews available which would have attributed work to the proper authors? It’s true! In fact, when reviewers leave, work gets automatically attributed to “Brash Games”, which is solely operated by Paul Ryan, thus making it seem like he did all the work. OpenCritic are doing an investigation into the behaviour of the site and everything. But what truly deserves investigation is the new alterations added to the game in order to freshen up the format; this is very much a case of teaching an old dog new tricks. For one, the game has upgradable power-ups such as lasers and freeze attacks that Pac-Man can pick up and use for a limited time in the level, which serves to give you an edge over those pesky ghosts. This is a welcome change, as it doesn’t make the game too easy, rather helping to level the playing field when you’re stuck in those frustrating tight spots when cornered by three or more ghosts. It’s also presented in a sharp new way; instead of the old-school top-down view in 2D, we get an extremely sweet isometric 3D view, and this approach to graphics really surmises the whole game. It feels the same, just different, like a deep and welcoming kiss from a new lover; it’s inextricable from the new and the strange, but just feels so GOOD.

Also, a touch of modernity added to the game that works surprisingly well is the use of tasks within the game that reward players. These tasks include eating X amount of ghosts, using power-ups X times, scoring X amount of points – very achievable tasks that make Pac-Man 256 extremely reminiscent of a mobile game. This is no bad thing, as arcade games were historically made with short and sweet play sessions in mind – why not take Pac-Man to the next logical step of “pick up and play” and incorporate these mobile elements. This works superbly – this becomes a title that you can go back to over and over and over, providing mileage in gameplay for years to come. This applies if you’re the type to play 4 hours at a time or just 5 minutes every lunch break; the replayability is immense.

Complementing the brilliant reimagined gameplay is a fantastic soundtrack. Namco Bandai shy away from the sound of silence, which is, at the time of writing, exactly what I received when I announced my resignation to the editor Paul Ryan and clarified I would leave Brash as soon as possible. No email, no apology, no “I wish you the best in your future endeavours”, nothing. Pure radio silence; the only acknowledgement I received was that my name was pulled from the contributors list quietly. Some might call that cowardly – I’ll leave it to your interpretation. Rather, the game exploits low-key techno beats to gracefully update the beloved musical stings and background tracks. And (I promise this is the last time I utilise this painful segue) speaking of exploitation, Brash Games took advantage of naïve young writers, offering them no money, but exposure, which is useless when you essentially pretend your writers did not exist later on down the line.

I thought this game was great, but I’m going to – on behalf of Brash Games – award it a 1 out of 10. I do this safe in the knowledge that the editor will change it later without me knowing to fit the score HE would prefer. This is not an exaggeration: review scores selected by authors were changed by the editor without warning, explanation, or consideration, and several alumni of Brash Games corroborate this. As such, I would not want to begrudge my former editor another opportunity to do this.

(And now, because this game is a quality product and deserves some dignity, which Brash is totally bereft of, here’s the real review: this is a solid remake of a beloved classic that could potentially provide as many hours of joy as the original. Graphics and music have been updated tastefully, as has the gameplay, which uses mobile-style micro missions to reward players. It’s a great spin on an old ball, and as such, Pac-Man 256 is completely worth a look, even if you’re only vaguely familiar with the source material. Fantastic value for money, too, being priced at sub-£5/$5. 9/10.)

By the way, if it wasn’t completely clear, with the publishing of this review, I quit Brash Games for the way it treats its writers, and I will endeavour to make sure new writers do not fall into the same trap. Nobody will pay me for this – it’s not a job that pays in the cash money sense, but the sense of satisfaction that I’ll get from making sure a talented writer doesn’t get taken advantage of is more than worth it. Good luck on Monday for when the OpenCritic report gets released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also my new favorite way to play Hitman is the horror-style runs in Bangkok where you get a hatchet or other edged weapon and murder your way through the hotel. Really really fun after painstakingly sneaking my way through a floor so I can nail a target! :D

Here's my favorite way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQDw1hlU99E&t=77s

spaghetti spaghetti spaghetti spaghetti

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tell them to turn on opportunities!

...also as I understand it, Absolution is a muddled, racist, sexist, offensive mess of a game and :yikes:

Hitman has always been guilty of this to varying degrees, it just had gameplay good enough to distract you from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhhc2DOQYaM

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I picked up the rerelease of Bulletstorm and it's just as good as I remembered. I like it a lot.

The Duke Nukem add-on brings almost nothing to the table, though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Holy poo poo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Guy Mann posted:

Hitman has always been guilty of this to varying degrees, it just had gameplay good enough to distract you from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhhc2DOQYaM

I, uh, actually never played other Hitman games outside of 2016. I tried Blood Money last year and couldn't make it through the horrifyingly racist tutorial, and as Blood Money was supposedly the best in the series, I never came back - until I got the Intro Pack for Christmas and hello, yes, I enjoy James Bond: Bald Edition. I'm half tempted to go back and try Blood Money again, but....well...we'll see.

Zaphod42 posted:

Here's my favorite way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQDw1hlU99E&t=77s

spaghetti spaghetti spaghetti spaghetti

This is great. :allears:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I, uh, actually never played other Hitman games outside of 2016. I tried Blood Money last year and couldn't make it through the horrifyingly racist tutorial, and as Blood Money was supposedly the best in the series, I never came back - until I got the Intro Pack for Christmas and hello, yes, I enjoy James Bond: Bald Edition. I'm half tempted to go back and try Blood Money again, but....well...we'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgP3OYgax_4

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Crossposting from the Aliexpress thread:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Pringles-16-Bit-MD-Game-Card-For-Sega-Genesis-NTSC-System/2852069_32793546736.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x86G8AvMas&t=12s

Cool Spot this ain't.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brack Papper

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Did someone burn a mid-90's flash game from the Pringles website onto a Genesis cart or something?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Aliexpress' game stuff is great because they sell a ton of actual (bootleg) cartridges for every console, reproductions of all the collectible crap that comes with collector's editions of games, sweet homebrew stuff like backlit Gameboy Colors with a couple dozen games built into them...but then sometimes they get weird.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

drat, that's up there with rants hidden rants that were put in games' code by disgruntled programmers where they were never thought to be found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ndNSRy04YI

Well, except not hidden, lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

he also got mad when i returned rise of the tomb raider

When I tried to return the Vita assassins creed game I had to like, negotiate the process. It was crazy. Nobody could believe i didn't want to play it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:rip: It's down already

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

:rip: It's down already
Beauty truly is fleeting, it seems.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Raxivace posted:

Beauty truly is fleeting, it seems.

The bridge that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Apparently @BrashGames started out the yesterday following some 31K-odd people on Twitter and are now following about 6 for some weird reason.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i am going to steal Paul Ryan's twisted desires

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Apparently @BrashGames started out the yesterday following some 31K-odd people on Twitter and are now following about 6 for some weird reason.

I think they also must have bought their twitter followers unless 114k people just don't feel like faving/RTing anything ever (had anyone even heard of the site before that article)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Snak posted:

I mean, it's probably the only hitman they've played, and if you're a fan of mostly scripted straightforward story-driven third person games, well...

But it's not even good at that, it's the worst

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kingdom New Lands: good god I whiled away a whole hour just wandering around throwing coins at things.

It's really, really chill? With a pleasant strategic layer to juggle 'cause my builders are idiots? I like it!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Kingdom New Lands: good god I whiled away a whole hour just wandering around throwing coins at things.

It's really, really chill? With a pleasant strategic layer to juggle 'cause my builders are idiots? I like it!

I really like Kingdom and the New Lands update, the feel and aesthetic is so charming and the game has so many layers considering how simple the inputs are, the only issue I have with it is how incredibly fast things can go south, annihilating hours of progress in a minute, and how traveling from one end of the map to another can feel a bit too much like waiting for timers in a mobile game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know if Amplitude/Thumper are worth buying on sale (I don't have PSVR for Thumper)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I really like Kingdom and the New Lands update, the feel and aesthetic is so charming and the game has so many layers considering how simple the inputs are, the only issue I have with it is how incredibly fast things can go south, annihilating hours of progress in a minute, and how traveling from one end of the map to another can feel a bit too much like waiting for timers in a mobile game.

Agreeeed with all of this. I'm not looking forward to that, but I can feel the urge to play it again already building. Between it and Slime-san this month's bundle was solid gold for me!

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I'm late to catsharing but I just dropped this guy off to have his leg cut off because he hosed up his ankle real bad:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tangents posted:

I'm late to catsharing but I just dropped this guy off to have his leg cut off because he hosed up his ankle real bad:

Oh no, poor little buddy. :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Looks like I missed gamerpet sharing time but gently caress it, this is Nessie and she enjoys the Nintendo 2DS Handheld Gaming System

Grapplejack posted:

I loved the aesthetic that comix zone went for, it was great.

It's too bad Comix Zone was terrible as an actual game.

The Colonel posted:

i played this game years ago and all i remember from it is a whole lot of sex jokes

plays pretty decently though

Comic Jumper was such a bizarrely half-baked game, like it could have been good and they nailed the aesthetic of the different comic styles, but then they forgot to work on the game. Like half the upgrades you get in the game that are supposed to make your attacks stronger literally do nothing, it's so loving weird. Shame that Twisted Pixel peaked with Splosion Man.

If you want a game that matches Comix Zone in terms of "a brawler where you smash through comic panels that isn't a very good game" though, then Unbound Saga is a closer match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytb1wK838TU

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 8, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone know if Amplitude/Thumper are worth buying on sale (I don't have PSVR for Thumper)

Not a fan of the far too subdued music in Amplitude personally, Thumper is a great game but seriously, seriously hard so the point where I just had to stop playing it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Persona 5 is very good and Morgana's level up face is perfect

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

raditts posted:

Looks like I missed gamerpet sharing time but gently caress it, this is Nessie and she enjoys the Nintendo 2DS Handheld Gaming System

Clean your kitchen, you loving animal.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Mordja posted:

Don't yell at the dog.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mordja posted:

Make me, bitch.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ometeotl posted:

Don't yell at the dog.
Nobody with that many dirty dishes can ever be truly considered a good boy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2t_jIhQLjE

God drat this song for being so good but also so impossible to play in Rock Band. I'm almost done with the "classic" games, about to move onto Guitar Hero Smash Hits/5/Warriors of Rock. Yknow, the ones people say are bad despite the latter having 2112

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kins posted:

Nobody with that many dirty dishes can ever be truly considered a good boy.

That's a breakfast nook so this picture was probably taken after breakfast or something, I don't remember.
And Nessie is a girl. A good girl.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The existence of the Vice article on SA didn't surprise me as much as somebody using the "it's tape" video as the lead-in for a takedown on the symbiosis of unboxing videos and lovely mystery box subscription services a few days later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3UobSZl34

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Why does rost get older gradually but aloy gets older all at once unless the dude greyed super early

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

He is a cool dude tho

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 8, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kids grow up quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Not a fan of the far too subdued music in Amplitude personally, Thumper is a great game but seriously, seriously hard so the point where I just had to stop playing it.

Well I bought both and I'm having fun, I only played the first 3 levels of Thumper but it is intense (i wish i could play it in VR) Amplitude is just really weird but after I switched to the higher difficulties there have been moments where it really clicks with me so I'll keep playing I guess

I also got Unravel but I haven't played it yet. idk why I'm buying games when I have Persona 5 to play

• Locked thread