Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sweevo posted:

not a million miles from what koreans actually believe either.

Analogue Kid posted:

Can I get a version of this without the moon runes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Analogue Kid posted:

Can I get a version of this without the moon runes

Grand Fromage posted:

All the colored areas are places that crazy Koreans claim were part of the ancient Korean empire, which was founded in 7197 BCE and ruled much of the world until 3898 BCE. Conveniently, this is all before writing was invented (by Koreans). The reasoning is based on an ancient book of fairy tales and legends, the Samguk Yusa. This is not to be confused with the Samguk Sagi, which is more or less a historical work.

The crazy people look at various names and spelling errors in the Samguk Yusa and then look for a civilization whose name vaguely resembles those names, and claims that therefore those were Korean territories. For example, there is a place in the Samguk Yusa called Sumiliguk (guk means country). Sumili sounds kind of like Sumer if you're Korean, therefore Sumer was a Korean nation. All those colored areas are places that sound like something mentioned in the Samguk Yusa.

For Somerset, they're calling it Wessex and say Wessex sounds like Usanguk (the Korean says Wessex -> Wesan -> Usan as its explanation), which was one of those things mentioned in the legends. Madagascar = Madaguk, Egypt is Korean because the Sphinx looks kind of like one of those guardian statues that are in front of temples over here, Inca sounds like Ingaguk. They also believe Native Americans were Koreans who migrated over. The big Turkey et al group is called West Goguryeo; Goguryeo was an actual real Korean kingdom several thousand years after this time.

There is absolutely no evidence offered for any of this other than the names sound kind of similar to things mentioned in a fairy tale that also explains how the first Koreans hatched from eggs left by god on Baekdusan. Everything else is built on this foundation of nothing.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
[exceptionally racist colonial englishman voice] this is what the moon chinks actually believe

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://twitter.com/mad_molix/status/850522649881001984

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

how many people actually believe that, though? it could be like flat-earthers over here

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

prefect posted:

how many people actually believe that, though? it could be like flat-earthers over here

that is the point, they're the equivalent to say mormon history or something. (you know, with "the garden of eden was actualy somewhere near missouri" and "the real native americans were migrants from israel" etc)

or maybe a better western equivalent are the people who believe not only was atlantis real, but atlantis refugees founded every important culture

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fishmech posted:

that is the point, they're the equivalent to say mormon history or something. (you know, with "the garden of eden was actualy somewhere near missouri" and "the real native americans were migrants from israel" etc)

or maybe a better western equivalent are the people who believe not only was atlantis real, but atlantis refugees founded every important culture

how prevalent is "everything used to be korean" as compared to "fans will kill you"?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

prefect posted:

how prevalent is "everything used to be korean" as compared to "fans will kill you"?

even fan death is apparently on its way out as far as something most people genuinely believe, there's just cultural inertia from stubborn olds and manufacturers who already make all fans have "fan death" countermeasures and likely won't ever bother changing this because :effort:.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/letshugbro/status/850664932785958912

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gXWHA27bQk&t=105s

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
https://i.imgur.com/B7IOiLr.mp4

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

prefect posted:

you have to remember that "fan death" is usually a euphemism for "suicide".

just like how in north american obituaries "after a sudden illness", especially for a teenager or old person, usually means "suicide".

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MagThatch/status/640142092426190848

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
https://twitter.com/wellerstein/status/850755449251127298

text me

also send me that patch

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fishmech posted:

just like how in north american obituaries "after a sudden illness", especially for a teenager or old person, usually means "suicide".

back in journalism school, we were told that "after a long illness" was cancer, and "after a sudden/short/brief illness" was a heart attack. they probably left out the suicide part for students

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

prefect posted:

back in journalism school, we were told that "after a long illness" was cancer, and "after a sudden/short/brief illness" was a heart attack. they probably left out the suicide part for students

No, that was "suspicious circumstances".

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

fishmech posted:

or a "hunting accident" 😎🔫

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
brits are great about this poo poo

"bachelor" means "gay"

"confirmed bachelor" means "gayer than a tree full of hummingbirds"

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

intersectional warfare

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sexual Lorax posted:

"confirmed bachelor" means "gayer than a tree full of hummingbirds"

lol there was a poster mad as hell about this euphemism as he unknowingly made his Fallout character gay after picking this perk, "hell yes my wasteland warrior is a free agent and doesn't need no woman"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol there was a poster mad as hell about this euphemism as he unknowingly made his Fallout character gay after picking this perk, "hell yes my wasteland warrior is a free agent and doesn't need no woman"

it's too bad being gay irl doesn't give you sweet combat boosts

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Improbable Lobster posted:

+1 to swordfighting

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

how can you be sure it doesn't?

i bet gay people really are 10% better at killing dudes

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

how can you be sure it doesn't?

i bet gay people really are 10% better at killing dudes

they're like terminators, knowledge of anatomy makes them a more efficient killer.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/FratboyNewman/status/850533909414764544

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

PokeJoe posted:

+1 to swordfighting

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
https://twitter.com/CountVonCount/status/212181595631796224

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

that's quite the twitter

verified, no less

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

my goth gf posted:

intersectional warfare

are intercontinental ballistic missiles with multiple independent re-entry vehicles carrying megatons of yield humanitarian?

the debate, after this break

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

mods?

name change plz

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

they're like terminators, knowledge of anatomy makes them a more efficient killer.
t-gay-hundred: "your fabulous clothes. give them to me, now."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
khia-1000 "I need your neck, your back, your pussy and your crack"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

"Live with me if you want to cum." - The Sperminator

pram
Jun 10, 2001

missileer is a poo poo tier job they shuffle crap officers to lol

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

termigaytor hud: "possible response: yes/no; or what?; go away; please come back later; gently caress my rear end in a top hat; gently caress me"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

"you forgot to say please ;-*"

-drips candle wax onto arnie's naked chest-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

• Locked thread