Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Guy Mann posted:

The existence of the Vice article on SA didn't surprise me as much as somebody using the "it's tape" video as the lead-in for a takedown on the symbiosis of unboxing videos and lovely mystery box subscription services a few days later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3UobSZl34

Oh man! That video is an Internet classic. So much to point out and notice lmao

"Shh Tyler Tyler!"

"We don't drink pop in this house" *grandma tch'es off camera*

"This was rated buy it now.. which is the highest rating you can get"

And of course:

"Go to China!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sakurazuka posted:

Kids grow up quick

No he gets old in a montage but she stays a kid all the way through it until suddenly she's in her 20s

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Old guys grow up quick

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

KingSlime posted:

Oh man! That video is an Internet classic. So much to point out and notice lmao

"Shh Tyler Tyler!"

"We don't drink pop in this house" *grandma tch'es off camera*

"This was rated buy it now.. which is the highest rating you can get"

And of course:

"Go to China!"

http://i.imgur.com/esQLG.gifv

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
guy mann you're alright in my book

such good memories of that video

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

No he gets old in a montage but she stays a kid all the way through it until suddenly she's in her 20s

Because he continues to see her as his baby girl right up until the point he realizes she's a woman and it's time to say goodbye.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

River City Ransom Underground Patch #9 posted:

Highlights

Fixed common crashes
Made it much harder to get stunlocked by the gas cop

The crash bug they fixed accounted for 90% of all crashes that occurred, so this is a pretty good patch despite only fixing two things.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snak posted:

Because he continues to see her as his baby girl right up until the point he realizes she's a woman and it's time to say goodbye.

:cry:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jesus Christ.

I wish I were as cool as that guy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mordja posted:

Jesus Christ.

I wish I were as cool as that guy.

This but unironically, can you imagine not giving a drat (and/or being so blissfully unaware) about how much of a weirdo you come across as? Like man that's gotta be a good life

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm sure it's very liberating for him but it's also good to be self-aware and at least a little self-conscious, otherwise you turn into a stinky human being who stinks up nerd conventions

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
At least he chose a good sword to buy. Not some mall ninja poo poo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

while we're talking old rear end internet videos let's revisit the King of Cringe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA2tpPl-9GQ

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

CJacobs posted:

This but unironically, can you imagine not giving a drat (and/or being so blissfully unaware) about how much of a weirdo you come across as? Like man that's gotta be a good life

Not really, being unable to read others' emotions and a general lack of self-awareness is a serious disadvantage and an undesirable trait for anybody who belongs in a highly social species. I'd hardly call it a a good life!

There's a reason social butterflies tend to be instawinners regardless of talent or merit (though I'd argue being able to make others like you is definitely a talent/skill)

You can not give a drat and still be attuned to other humans i what I'm saying I guess

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I just spent 2,000 gil in FF14 to make my tiny boy archer's freckles a more visible color.

Priorities!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Snak posted:

Actually I think they just only wanted to make two aloy models

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh hey, Beaglerush uploaded a video.

Oh hey, it's a Real Talk video. Interesting to hear from a long-time streamer about burnout, being expected to play specific games, real life vs streaming, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-TlNe2E2A0&hd=1

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh hey, Beaglerush uploaded a video.

Oh hey, it's a Real Talk video. Interesting to hear from a long-time streamer about burnout, being expected to play specific games, real life vs streaming, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-TlNe2E2A0&hd=1

I was just watching the same thing. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised this hasn't happened before, dude has been doing pretty much the same thing for the last... what? 4, 5 years? That's gotta take a toll.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
ive lit the bbq

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There's a new Diablo 3 expansion pack coming out soon. Not super noteworthy, but then I realized that Diablo 3 is five years old now.

"That's probably the oldest game to ever get an expansion pack!" I told my dog, though my naivety caused him to look away from me, towards the windows.

Because I checked, and sure enough, they're still making expansion packs for EverQuest. hosed up

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

The existence of the Vice article on SA didn't surprise me as much as somebody using the "it's tape" video as the lead-in for a takedown on the symbiosis of unboxing videos and lovely mystery box subscription services a few days later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3UobSZl34

I don't pretend to know a lot about unboxing videos because I do not comprehend them, but:

quote:

In this way each of these services resembles a tiny pyramid scheme. The consumer subscribes to the service, and then, before he (they’re always men) even knows what the package contains, he whips out the camera and implores others to subscribe themselves.

This sounded false so within like 5 seconds on YouTube I found like hundreds of women who do unboxing videos, mostly of anime and video games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I don't pretend to know a lot about unboxing videos because I do not comprehend them, but:

This sounded false so within like 5 seconds on YouTube I found like hundreds of women who do unboxing videos, mostly of anime and video games.

I think that part was about "mystery box" subscription services and not unboxing videos in general. I do not know the demographic information of subscribers to mystery box services though.

edit: I find the entire concept of them disgusting. Like, what is a more egregious example of rampant consumerism than "I want to constantly buy things, but I don't have any things in mind. Just send me more crap every month, some it is bound to be cool. Take my money."

Like, I get that the idea is that it's like a gift or a surprise, but the end result is the same: your house is filling up with crap that you didn't even buy on a whim, you didn't even know what it was when you bought it. You are literally mindlessly consuming.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, people saw folks dumping money into blind boxes in games and they were like "What if we could do that for real-life crap." And I guess it's working.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but like, blind boxes in real life are so much more wasteful.

Like, I get it. If you have a large desposibile income, and you like surprises and little nicknacks and stuff, and maybe you don't have time to go shopping a lot or search the internet for things you like, it might seem reasonable.

But it's sad.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh, for sure. It feels like someone siphoning off a lazy VC's money to sell marked-up garbage until the well dries up. The "pyramid scheme" reference isn't completely inapt

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

I think that part was about "mystery box" subscription services and not unboxing videos in general. I do not know the demographic information of subscribers to mystery box services though.

1 second on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feNIl9IKj7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeMgN6XA2Ng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRx_aOEmgHs (holy poo poo!!!)

So now women have Loot Boxes specifically aimed at them.

precision fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 8, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, people saw folks dumping money into blind boxes in games and they were like "What if we could do that for real-life crap." And I guess it's working.

It is funny how literally every month there's a regular chorus of people who signed up for the Humble Monthly Bundle at one point for one game they wanted, forgot to unsubscribe and got charged again, and wound up overall paying way more than the price of that one game for a bunch of crap they don't want.

Mystery Boxes: Not Even Once

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
At least it's not cluttering their house. Irl mystery boxes create physical garbage.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I dunno, if they were more specific it might be okay. Like I would probably pay $10/month to get some random old LEGO set mailed to me.

But not like, action figures and remaindered t-shirts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

It is funny how literally every month there's a regular chorus of people who signed up for the Humble Monthly Bundle at one point for one game they wanted, forgot to unsubscribe and got charged again, and wound up overall paying way more than the price of that one game for a bunch of crap they don't want.

Mystery Boxes: Not Even Once

I bought Total Warhammer for $12 and then The Witness for $12 and feel like things worked out pretty well. I think I might get Inside for $12

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I dunno, if they were more specific it might be okay. Like I would probably pay $10/month to get some random old LEGO set mailed to me.

But not like, action figures and remaindered t-shirts.

Yeah, but lego is a modular thing by nature.

A subscription to lego isn't really a loot box.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I paid $10 for Inside and feel like I overpaid by 100%

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A mystery box where you get a random selection of old nes/snes/sega cartridges might be cool

Jay Rust posted:

There's a new Diablo 3 expansion pack coming out soon. Not super noteworthy, but then I realized that Diablo 3 is five years old now.

"That's probably the oldest game to ever get an expansion pack!" I told my dog, though my naivety caused him to look away from me, towards the windows.

Because I checked, and sure enough, they're still making expansion packs for EverQuest. hosed up

I get square enix emails about FFXI updates sometimes. You'd think they'd at least move on to XIV

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

A mystery box where you get a random selection of old nes/snes/sega cartridges might be cool

I'm gonna steal this idea thanks

though I imagine you would have to charge a pretty high monthly fee to cover the fact that sometimes you'd have to be shipping out carts that are worth actual money

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

I paid $10 for Inside and feel like I overpaid by 100%

Did you finish it yet.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I bought Total Warhammer for $12 and then The Witness for $12 and feel like things worked out pretty well. I think I might get Inside for $12

I got a Humble Monthly a couple months ago because the featured game was Xcom 2 and I had a discount from buying a humble bundle, and it turned out that one also had Steamworld Heist so those made it worthwhile to me for :10bux:
The next couple also featured games I wanted, but the April one looks like all garbage besides The Witness so I'll probably hop off that train unless next month features something really good.
So overall I wouldn't lump Humble Monthly with most of these garbage packages since it's really more like "pay $12 for this one game if you want, and you might get some other stuff you like too" ... although I'm sure the idea is indeed that you sign up for something you like and forget to unsubscribe. But that's hardly unique to the "mystery box" phenomenon, that's like every product that offers a trial of some sort going back for several decades.

precision posted:

1 second on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feNIl9IKj7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeMgN6XA2Ng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRx_aOEmgHs (holy poo poo!!!)

So now women have Loot Boxes specifically aimed at them.

I want to say we've reached the peak of Capitalism Mountain here, but there is always higher to climb, I'm sure.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 8, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm pretty sure somebody already does this because I remember BillyMC subscribing to one and getting a bunch of generic poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Like comment subscribe to ASMR blind unboxing reactions [gone sexual]

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

raditts posted:

I want to say we've reached the peak of Capitalism Mountain here, but there is always higher to climb, I'm sure.

Capitalism is really more of a greased bottomless pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

It wouldn't

• Locked thread